Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2016, 13:49   #346
Senior - BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
[*]Stick to the left, as much as you can and always – There is a lot of room for you to escape a messy situation that you can’t do when you are driving right next to the Median – Pedestrian popping out of that bush in the Median, a Cattle just jumping out, A wannabe Rally driver popping the bonnet out to make a U-Turn. So many examples – Your Brake pads will thank you here too.
While i agree to the points in your previous post but this is the one that i am confused about in general as well. Doesn't this mean we are overtaking from the left which might not be a good idea. Agreed in the right lane at times there can be animals, debris etc but officially we are to overtake or move from the right. At left there are slower moving vehicles, parked/stopped vehicles etc so shouldn't the center would be the better one to stick to ( considering we are talking about a 3 lane road/highway) Not to point fingers at you but i in general see people overtaking from the left and always wonder (even when i myself do so at times) whether it's right or wrong.

Mods pardon for going off topic.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 14:08   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Doesn't this mean we are overtaking from the left which might not be a good idea.
This also means that you are allowing a faster moving vehicle to overtake you from left because they see you as someone who are sticking to the right lane just like any other.

Quote:
Agreed in the right lane at times there can be animals, debris etc but officially we are to overtake or move from the right. At left there are slower moving vehicles, parked/stopped vehicles etc so shouldn't the center would be the better one to stick to ( considering we are talking about a 3 lane road/highway)
It so happened once between Chitradurga and Sira that on a fast and long right hander (3+3 lanes) there was a stationary truck that had suffered a breakdown. Now imagine if you are sticking to the right lane here.

Regarding overtaking from left and whether it is a good idea or not - Sample this. Few years back (at least 3 years before), a majority of drivers in Gujarat would always move to the center or left lane upon flashing of headlights to make way for you. So when driving this side, I always waited so that they moved left. Today the crowd is only 10%. Then one fine day we were driving to Calicut via Mysore with my Brother in Law from GJ and behind a KSRTC Bus. That bus was on the fast lane. When I honked, he immediately moved left (Not a good sign), and I actually slowed down a bit only because I know their trait on this section. It was only overtaking a slower truck again on the fast lane while my relative thought he was giving way .

Apart from this, a lot of trucks occupy and hog the fast lane all the times (at least down south) and not really between Mumbai Ahmedabad where cars are also a majority along with trucks.

In my earlier days, I was so particular that I always overtook from right and used to stick behind that truck and keep honking till it moved left. A few did while rest did not. Today, majority of them don't even move an inch to give way. In reality, the traffic on our highways has substantially increase compared to just 5 years before and most of the roads are expanded to dual carriageways.

You lose patience honking and irritated that someone is not allowing you to overtake from right. You blame the other person for not following the basic rule to stick to the left. But one fine day you will realise that you are simply wasting your time and efforts. Instead, follow the simple principle of defensive and pro-active driving techniques.

By noticing trucks from their tail, you can really make out if it belongs to a category that will make way for you or not. Its easy and it takes a few drives through the length and breadth of our country to learn this.

Quote:
Not to point fingers at you but i in general see people overtaking from the left and always wonder (even when i myself do so at times) whether it's right or wrong.
On 3 lanes, center lane is for driving. On 4 lane, the left lane is. This doesn't mean that I force myself to remain left all the times. This is based on the stretch that you are taking - Bypasses, Busy sections, Markets, RTO Check Posts, Border Crossings, Town Entries and Exits), Cross Roads - These are the sections where as a driver you will automatically move the the right lane and again get back after passing such potential bottlenecks.

Overtaking from right is right. Overtaking from left for the state of affairs we have on our roads along with the constantly changing driving manners all across the country become one of the many reasons to do so.

I am sure you will know why that Sand or a Concrete Mixer truck would never give you way if he is driving on the right but a long haul trucker would in all probability will make way.

I am sure you have experienced this too - You want to overtake and honk, the trucker wont budge and starts overtaking another. While he has passed the other truck, he now waits for 2-3 seconds expecting you squeeze from left (In his left ORVM) as he is smart to have already mastered the art of understanding an impatient Indian Car driver.

However, if you don't appear in his left ORVM, he is likely to turn his face into his right ORVM and since you are still tailing him, you can always move a little outside and make him aware of your intention to overtake from right. It is more likely that he will then start moving left and make way for you.

A lot of text to read but I am sure you can now relate this now!

Last edited by paragsachania : 29th January 2016 at 14:12.
paragsachania is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 01:42   #348

Parag, Thank you for being such an inspiration to all the auto enthusiasts. You have effectively redefined the love for driving.

My decision to buy the Ertiga has been largely based on your review.

Love the way you take keen interest about your vehicle and always discovering (and share) new things.

Keep revving. Wish you, your Tallboy and the Longer Companion zillions of miles ahead

Lion Heart
LionHeart124 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2016, 12:31   #349
Senior - BHPian

Parag,

Those were some really fantastic tips you shared on highway driving. Your vast experience clearly speaking here That would surely help most of us here. In particular I totally agree on the law of average speeds & passing the toll booth speed breaker with minimal braking.

I think these posts should be moved into a thread of its own - they are that helpful!
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 14:54   #350
BHPian

Parag Sir,

This is my first post on this forum & the thing I wanted to do is thank you. Your thread had heavy influence on me buying my Ertiga ZDi. More often I look to your thread to improvise whatever I can in my car or driving. A big thank you once again.
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 09:35   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Parag Sir,

This is my first post on this forum & the thing I wanted to do is thank you. Your thread had heavy influence on me buying my Ertiga ZDi. More often I look to your thread to improvise whatever I can in my car or driving. A big thank you once again.
Welcome aboard Ertigiat. Glad my ownership review helped you plan your purchase of your Ertiga Zdi. Wish you many happy miles on the MPV.

Seeing that you are from Goa, I am sure we will meet soon
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 18:09   #352
BHPian

Parag Sir,

Thank you for wishes. We shall definitely meet when you visit Goa. My Ertiga completed a year on 21st of this month & odometer reading is 18,000 Kms.
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 10:29   #353
BHPian

Dear Parag,

Let me begin my first post on the forum with a big thanks to you. I also own an Ertiga VDI having covered about 30,000 kms in 1.5 years. Your posts have been most beneficial for me in understanding my car better

Regards
Rahul
rahulb22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 09:48   #354
BHPian

Hello Parag,

I request your views on the Surakshaa Service Centre in Koramangala. As I have relocated, I was planning to go to them for my 30,000 kms service. Any leads with regard to a good service advisor would also be a great help. Thanks in advance.

Cheers!!
Old 29th February 2016, 11:32   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Hello Parag,

I request your views on the Surakshaa Service Centre in Koramangala. As I have relocated, I was planning to go to them for my 30,000 kms service. Any leads with regard to a good service advisor would also be a great help. Thanks in advance.

Cheers!!
You can read audioholic's latest update here who I had referred.

Overall, they better than most of the players and at par with some of the best too.

The onus is still on the owner to ensure not to get charged for any extra and unwanted jobs.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th February 2016 at 13:44. Reason: As requested.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 13:30   #356
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Hello Parag,

Cheers!!
I can say they are the better of all the dealers found here. Maybe the TBHP influence, or even because they became dealers from service center and not like others who opened up service centers because they got dealerships. There is a huge difference underlying if you can get the drift here.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 15:32   #357
BHPian

Hi Parag,
I am about to take delivery of my new Ertiga ZDI+ this weekend. I am all ready with the PDI check list and additional things you have mentioned earlier to check.

Just wanted to know, you have had any experience with Mandovi Motors Service center, any feedback ?

On the other hand, where do you get your vehicle service done ?

Thanks!
Old 1st March 2016, 15:56   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetLife View Post
Hi Parag,
I am about to take delivery of my new Ertiga ZDI+ this weekend.
Congratulations in advance and wishing you many happy miles on roads that await you ahead!

Quote:
Just wanted to know, you have had any experience with Mandovi Motors Service center, any feedback ?
I had purchased my WagonR at Mandovi in 2006. Since then all the way till 2011, I have been servicing at Mandovi (Yeshwantpur) and have had very good experience to say the least.

I only moved to Surakshaa as I know few people there.

Otherwise, when it comes to friends, colleagues and BHPians also & depending on the location they stay, I refer them to Mandovi (Mostly Yeshwantpur and Haralur Road) and Surakshaa too. In fact, even today I am in regular touch with the SAs and call them whenever I have referred anyone to their center.

Quote:
On the other hand, where do you get your vehicle service done ?
Like I mentioned, its Surakshaa and keeps shifting between their Bomanahalli and EC centers now and again. I usually stay with the car and hence there have been no complaints so far.
Old 2nd March 2016, 07:39   #359
BHPian

Thank you Parag. I am more closer to Vasanth Nagar, so will try out their service center near to Shivajinagar. If not, will switch to yeshwanthpur.
GetLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 09:16   #360
Distinguished - BHPian

85,000 kms up

The wheels keep on turning without much ado. Not many long drives except one to Virajpet (600 kms) and to Mysore (300 kms) since the last update.

A customary pic of the Odometer reading as on 3rd March 2016:

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20160303_154309.jpg

The last service at 82,000 is when I got the EGR cleaned. After this, there is one noticeable difference if not anything else. Even with some good cruising speeds under full load, the FE numbers have improved. This is for intra city as well as highway drives too by 5-10%.

To say that the reason behind this is the EGR cleaning, I will reserve my comments at least till the sample is 5000 kms or more.

Important update here is that the WagonR will not be used at least for 6 months as my better half is on an onsite assignment. This is probably for the first time in my entire ownership of these 2 cars that I am worrying about not using the car(s) regularly. Nevertheless, I will drive the WagonR to work at least once a week and clock 70 kms to keep things in control.

With summer holidays set to begin next month, I am eyeing for couple of Getaways with a Father-Daughter roadtrips .

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th March 2016 at 09:37.
paragsachania is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks