Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2016, 14:31   #376
BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Can you please let every one know who is your dealer,
My dealer is Bimal Maruti, Bangalore. And more specifically, I receive calls from their Bannerghatta branch each time.

Quote:
what are included in those preventive checks and how old is your vehicle?
They tell me that they carry out a 30-point check along with WA/WB. My vehicle is now exactly 1.5 yrs old

Quote:
There could be two possibilities here
1. Dealer is inviting you to a service camp in the name of Maruti Suzuki. They may do some basic checks free and force you to do some other works generating revenue.
2. There is a recall from Maruti to check/replace some parts and they are doing this in the name of a preventive checkup

Its important you clarify which type your call is. Warranty wont be an issue in type 1 but can be an issue in type 2.
Point #1 is what I suspect to be the case too because they said that this is a standard Maruti recommendation that needs to be followed by every Maruti owner. However, since I didn't recall reading such things in anyone's ownership threads, I thought that a check-up visit might not be important enough to be mentioned. Hence the question to all...
agd19682 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 09:03   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

90,000 Kms update

Ten Thousand clicks short for Hundred Thousand.....
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-90k.jpg

The condition of most of the mechanicals remain in perfect shape at this stage along with most of the other elements:
  1. Clutch - Zero signs of juddering or hardness. Easy to say that the stock clutch will last more than 1,00,000 kms!
  2. Suspension - With full load, no signs of bounciness and unwanted noises. The noise from the calipers is fully arrested now since the last service was carried out.
  3. Tires - This would need replacement in coming months. The upgraded 205/60/15 have run exactly 74,000 kms and have usable life of at least 8,000 kms left on them. No signs of uneven wear on all the 4 tires. As usual, alignment and Balancing jobs for the Ertiga too has been strictly on need basis on not periodically. There is no unwanted drag on any side and neither the wheels wobble at during highway speeds.
  4. Engine Mounts - Off late, I sensed vibrations were intruding inside the cabin only while speed picked up and I suspected weaker engine mounts. But then, things were very normal at idle speeds. During my recent drive to Mangalore, Everything seemed to have settled. I can only suspect the previous tankful was bad diesel and nothing else as after that I already topped up during the trip.
  5. Headlamp bulbs: During my drive to Mangalore, the low beam filament on the right side conked. It may have lasted at least 40,000 kms or more with a lot of continuous night driving. Bought one from a reputed shop in Mangalore and replaced it right there.
  6. Fog Lamp Bulbs: Few months before, I had upgraded from H8 (35W, Stock) to H11 (55W, Philips) for the fog light. In around 7 months, both of them gave away one after the other. I intend to retrofit better fog lights and hence have not replaced them yet and the hunt is still on whether I replace with the usual ones or go the LED way.

Drive to Mangalore and a lot of twisties with the Ertiga:

This one was a special drive with Funkykar's Premier Padmini S1 tagging along for a 1000 kms drive which otherwise was only 750 kms mainly due to the fact that we returned via different route with the right dosage for curves and only curves.

Both the cars had one co-passenger each and we thoroughly enjoyed every bit of the drive and most importantly, I loved watching the Humble S1 in action all along that performed brilliantly without a single breakdown.

Performance of the Ertiga through the ghats:

I have driven over ghat roads multiple times but this one was special because It was myself and Dad in the front seat and I really was aggressive to test the behavior of the MUV over curves. With family, I am usually gentle and hence this drive was a perfect test at 90,000 kms !!

Most of the times, I was always maintaining the inside line while negotiating the curves and it held on very well at good speeds. The right pressure for the front (32 PSI) along with those wider profile Michelin XM2s were the reasons too.

Agumbe ghats were nothing unusual for me as I regularly drive through Charmadi with 11 Hairpin climbs and once with 6 Adults. However, it was fun to remain in control with the momentum being in the right gear. It was only the Petrol Ciaz ahead that was driven perfectly except the Hairpins where the driver was downshifting halfway through the climb while I was ready right before the climb in the right gear .

Here are a few pics from the trip: Bangalore - Hassan - Shiradi - Mangalore - Udupi - Kundapura - Maravanthe - Baindoor - Kollur - Someshwara - Sringeri - Chikmagalur - Hassan - Bangalore ~ 1050 kms round trip.

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20160428_185101_richtonehdrbordermaker-2.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20160430_103036bordermaker.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20160430_104649bordermaker-2.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20160430_135600bordermaker-2.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-img_20160430_135459bordermaker-2.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-p_20160430_160727.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-img_20160430_135516bordermaker-2.jpg

One from the beautiful coastal road along Maravanthe:

When a Cabbie realises that a Premier Padmini S1 has overtaken it:

Here's an episode where the little Pup got saved just in time.
paragsachania is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 10:23   #378
BHPian

Re: 90,000 Kms update

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Many Many Congratulations Couple of questions from my side though,
Quote:
Fog Lamp Bulbs: Few months before, I had upgraded from H8 (35W, Stock) to H11 (55W, Philips) for the fog light. In around 7 months, both of them gave away one after the other. I intend to retrofit better fog lights and hence have not replaced them yet and the hunt is still on whether I replace with the usual ones or go the LED way.
Any specific reason for choosing H11 over stock H8? & Were you able to accommodate H11 without any modifications? I asking this because we also find 55W H8 in market.
How LED strips fitted in rear bumper are holding?
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 10:26   #379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Any specific reason for choosing H11 over stock H8?
Primarily to experiment and also for a fact that H11 will have higher wattage (55 against 35).
Quote:
Were you able to accommodate H11 without any modifications?
Yes, with slight modification to the bulb itself, I was able to fit that in H8 slot without issues. I used a dremel to adjust the width of the notch to that of H8's width.
Quote:
How LED strips fitted in rear bumper are holding?
You can notice that in the first pic. Its more than a year now and none of the LEDs have fused.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 10:48   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here's an episode where the little Pup got saved just in time.
Super save that was.

And thanks for sharing those nice videos. Looking forward to your 6 digit milestone.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 10:18   #381
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

Quote:
Congratulations Parag! I'm never going to have an odometer race with you .

Quote:
this one was special because It was myself and Dad in the front seat and I really was aggressive to test the behavior of the MUV over curves
Man, you just reminded me of a lovely drive I had with Dad to Goa. I was driving, Dad was shotgun and I was really pushing it (as Mom etc. had flown down). It was only the two of us on the old Mumbai-Goa road - the scenic, winding road (not the new arrow-straight expressway).

We had a fabulous time. Wet roads, RWD and lots of curves to play with. Every 2 hours, we'd stop for chai / marlboros / misal pav and talk.

Nothing like driving your Dad . I miss him.

I think this is from the Goa drive me & him did alone:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-goa-2008-3.jpg

To Deolali. Sat in the Jeep all the way from Mumbai, never once moving to the comfort of the air-conditioned car following us behind:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-deolali-200809-7.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-lonavla-200803-1.jpg
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 10:38   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nothing like driving your Dad . I miss him.
You bet GTO! Mumbai to Goa by road before the 4 lane work started would be a dream drive in Monsoons and I can very well imagine. NH17 in full glory.

They are indeed special Dads who have been your companion since the day you learnt driving and took small circuits and gradually extended to larger runs who will not even think twice if you say we are taking the road and not Rail/flight.

The other biggest advantage that I have seen traveling with Dad is that as a driver you are at ease when it comes to taking care of almost everything while you concentrate solely on the steering and road ahead - Handing over the right change for Toll, managing those toll receipts, probing you for water/snacks and so on. Even today, he stocks 20 odd cloves inside a newspaper that he keeps passing to me one by one when we do overnight drives just to keep myself fresh from fatigue.

And mind you, they are so good at making judgement too and they help you so much to decide those overtakes on 3+3 laned highways by either hinting or warning you about a block ahead based or whether you can make it with your current speed/momentum.

Not to forget the fact that you then can then forget being choosy on where to stop to eat or have a cup of chai. You stop wherever and he would give that company without hesitation.

When I was shuttling between Pune and Bangalore in 2009-10, I used to drive all alone and then during return Dad would say he will join me back as I am alone and return back by catching a flight/bus. Such was the enthusiasm even when we had a WagonR for these drives then.

No wonder there is zero resistance even today when I say we drive to Gujarat and not take any other mode. A few of us are very lucky to have parents who are equally passionate about sharing the co-passenger's seat.

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th May 2016 at 10:39.
paragsachania is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 14:42   #383
BHPian

There is really nothing like good, safe and careful driving. This is one value that I learnt from dad. Here has been my training and first steps, perhaps all steps - all thanks to dad.

My initial driving experience was actually on a 3 gear jeep. Although he was a senior police officer but he made sure I got my LL first and then drove. I was never allowed to get behind the wheel of a vehicle until I reached 18. My first driving experience with him sitting next was when he was teaching me how responsible a task driving is. Some tips I got from him -

1. Ensure the passengers don't know which gear you are driving and over what kind of terrain.

2. Think of your passengers like a pregnant lady and the care they need. So ensure driving is butter smooth and careful.

3. Music should be low enough to hear odd sounds from vehicle and hors/animal sounds - any other road sounds so that you can react to the situation.

4. Turns and twists have to be taken with the momentum while climbing.

5. Ensure enough space to get a reaction in time

6. In two lane roads judgement changes and in 4 lane roads there is slightly more space to navigate - but remember other motorists may also think like that.

7. Remember all pedestrians, cyclists, camel/bullock carts don't have headlights or reflectors. Some of the camel/bullock carts may have a lantern at most

8. Tractors/combine harvesters/trucks and tempos don't have ABS brakes so remember when they slow down quickly responding to any situation they may skid.

9. Don't get too close to a truck which is overloaded. Any bump in the road can throw an overloaded vehicle off balance.

10. When overtaking make good judgement on speeds of all moving objects - it could be the car/truck/cyclist and even the animal.

11. This is India - the best of highways may have animals. Buffalos and cows react differently. Dogs. ponys and pigs have their own reactions.

12. If a big bump/hump is approaching don't drive the car/jeep over it. Instead go around it. Sumps and other engine parts can get damaged.

13. Before every long journey please check engine for usual oils/water/coolant/brake fluid. Upon starting, within the first half a km test all lights/brake. You are still within a town and can get it repaired.

14. Try to start very early and reach your destination by sunset. He was not a big advocate of night driving.

15. Ensure car has a basic medical first aid, water, some dry ration so that if you are stuck somewhere this will help.

16. Focus and concentrate. It is important to start early, arrive safe and feel fresh. Avoid any anger/frustration and negative feelings.

I can go on - but the bottomline is I learnt driving is like a painting, you need to feel a sense of creation and smoothness. No jerks, no bumps, just a smooth stroke. Even now, when I drive I hear him scolding in my ears if I missed any of his guidelines.

He had taken us to Srinagar from Chandigarh in a Jeep I think in 1980-81. Somewhere between Pathankot and Jammu the jeep needed some repairs also. The highway between Pathankot and Jammu back then used to have several causeways and it was interesting to see how to navigate water. Once we had driven from Shivpuri to Gwalior to Karnal in a Fiat - the first time I did 3 NHs in a day. A few dozen times across HR, UP and RJ. My first sophisticated car with him in the navigator seat was Maruti 800. I drove it from Hisar to Suratgarh. I later drove the same car from Hisar/Jind to Pokharan/Jaisalmer (brother posted there) a few times. Several trip from Hisar/Kurkshetra/Rohtak to Jammu (another brother was posted there) as well. Back in 1994 (or so) he encouraged my elder brother (who was by now posted in Bangalore) to drive another Maruti 800 from Gurgaon to Bangalore. This brother was do several trips from Gurgaon to Hyderabad and back later years.

Dad never saw or drove any of my cars. I am sure he would have loved it. So, I drove a distance to go see him.

The third picture in post 26 of this link is him http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...h-india-2.html

Miss him. One special dad.
Rajain is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 15:21   #384
Senior - BHPian

Good to see your Ertiga performing flawlessly just like your WagonR. Parag, you are truly an inspiration when it comes to milecrunching and maintaining cars like they were on Day 1. Though I catchup with you in terms of maintenance of cars but in terms of milecrunching, I am just a beginner.

Are you by any chance planning to consider Innova Crysta?

How long you intend to keep Ertiga considering it's nearing 1 lac kms on the Ido. What are your views on Crytsa?
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 17:45   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
How long you intend to keep Ertiga considering it's nearing 1 lac kms on the Ido. What are your views on Crytsa?
1 Lac Kms and sell it to buy something else?

Give me another reason Anmol .

I am more than just sure that I will keep the Ertiga for at least 2.5-3 Lac kms.

There is no serious reason for me to "upgrade" now. I am typing this from my hometown, Belur where we reached Via Mysore after a bit of sight seeing. We have already clocked 300 kms today and another 220 more to go. Something very normal isn't it?

But then, we are 5 Full Adults, 1 Teenager and 2 Kids aged 5 and 6. I can't imagine hiring a 8 seater or driving another car if I had not picked up the Ertiga.

Some decisons are made after haste and rejection. The Ertiga was one if you read my review in the beginning. But today, that 3rd row is so much useful to me in every sense.

No Crysta for me at least for another 3-4 yesrs for sure.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 17:49   #386
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Till the Ertiga falls down after getting tired of running so much then is when Parag Sir would think of getting something else or may be another Ertiga.

Matching Parag is difficult for anyone except for his all-time favourite Bangalore Cabbies.

Quote:
1 Lac Kms and sell it to buy something else?

Last edited by a4anurag : 7th May 2016 at 17:51.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 18:02   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Till the Ertiga falls down after getting tired of running so much then is when Parag Sir would think of getting something else or may be another Ertiga.
Don't worry, it won't fall apart if its taken care well. The WagonR is still strong, after 10 Years of ownership.

Quote:
Matching Parag is difficult for anyone except for his all-time favourite Bangalore Cabbies.
No dude, cabbies are for shuttle service you see. No comparison whatsoever.

The Ertiga has seen places but yet to see a lot and lots more. Its not even close to what the WagonR has seen.

Office drives is something usual, 70 kms a day since past 8.5 Years to the same location! Apart from this, unlike cabbies, I venture out here and there on regular basis.

If I had installed blinking LED lights for those bumper reflectors and in Yellow and Pink color, that is indeed when you can have that cabbie connection

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th May 2016 at 18:03.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 10:08   #388
BHPian

Quote:
We have already clocked 300 kms today and another 220 more to go. Something very normal isn't it?
Yes Ertiga has that wonderful capability to do thousand kms in a day and the passengers won't feel tired. I have done long journeys, full day driving in fact even a overnight from Mumbai to Bangalore and it was not tiring. You arrive fresh enough to do more. It is the space, the suspension, the overall sound insulation, the engine (esp at the higher rpms), the AC, the view from the driver's seat - all make for a good driving experience.

Quote:
But then, we are 5 Full Adults, 1 Teenager and 2 Kids aged 5 and 6. I can't imagine hiring a 8 seater or driving another car if I had not picked up the Ertiga.

Some decisons are made after haste and rejection. The Ertiga was one if you read my review in the beginning. But today, that 3rd row is so much useful to me in every sense.
We have also used the 3rd row sometimes. And I can say with our experience as well - imagine not having to take the other car or rent a larger different vehicle because all could be in it together. It is several of these kind of flexibilities that have made sure this is a car to hold, retain, drive and enjoy across the country. I absolutely love the space, flexibility, overall compactness, engine, ease of ownership and above all a fair economy.

Cheers
Rajain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 23:37   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats. You're not too far away from the six figure mark.

I think you'll cross the combined reading of the odometers of my Innova(66k in 9 years at present) and Getz(53k in 10 years at present) in one year.

You put tremendous effort in maintaining your cars. It shows in the way your Ertiga shines today.

Any plan of visiting our neighbours- Bhutan and Nepal?
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 09:36   #390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
You put tremendous effort in maintaining your cars. It shows in the way your Ertiga shines today.
Well, not really if you ask me. I have never spent a penny on getting either of the cars (WagonR or Ertiga) detailed externally till date.

However, I wash both these cars all by myself and get the underchassis sprayed on periodic basis only (during rains).

At the same time, my frequency of wash is not too regular. I do this once in a fortnight and that too mostly with plain water and nothing else. But I ensure to wipe it with 3 different clothes. One for the Body, One for the Glasses and the third one only for alloys & running board area.

Quote:
Any plan of visiting our neighbours- Bhutan and Nepal?
I have never planned any of such drives (even if you look at the past). It might just happen when I think I should drive .

But yes, a lot of places to cover in the Ertiga now. Its only seen KA-MH-GJ-TN-KL and ventured till AP border that too on one of the Tbhp quick meets!
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks