Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2014, 17:40   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi, 20000 kms report

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Why did you get the wheel Alignment, wheel balancing and Wheel rotation done at MASS? Isn't it better to get it done outside workshop?
Typical expectation from all of us on the jobs these ASCs do when it comes to Wheel alignment and Balancing. But I get it done from these folks once in a while and I almost immediately give a feedback in case I face issues as I take the elevated road soon after the ASC and drive a little faster to know about drags and wobbling. So far, So good. I have got my alignment and Balancing done at various places.
Quote:
Did you use any engine oil flush as it was changed from Mineral to Synthetic oil. Isn't it recommended?
The drain plug was left open for more than 2 hours to ensure even the last drop came out. Since this was the fresh oil from the company and the fact that it was driven more than 60% of those 10,000kms in the highway, the chances of engine experiencing stress was very low.
Quote:
What oil is filled from factory during delivery? Is it Synthetic or Mineral, can you confirm once?
I will get back to you on this one. From what I recall, it was mineral oil.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 23:12   #107

Exhaustive review. We also switched from our beloved Wagon R who is with us from 2003 to an Ertiga ZDi in September 2013. Luckily the dealer near by had a Granite Grey Ertiga ZDi, manufactured August 2013, in stock.

My experience with the Ertiga till now, confirms very much to your review. Great car for a family of 5 adults and a kid. Comfortable, roomy and easy on the pocket. The second row seats feels like heaven. The fact that the second row has sliding and retracting features gives the car its versatility.
Johnson D3A is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2014, 12:36   #108

Factory spec oil in the engine is 5W40 mineral oil only,
With the engine requiring 3.1 litres exactly.
Old 14th February 2014, 14:25   #109
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The drain plug was left open for more than 2 hours to ensure even the last drop came out. Since this was the fresh oil from the company and the fact that it was driven more than 60% of those 10,000kms in the highway, the chances of engine experiencing stress was very low.
Were there any metal pieces/debris or any such things in the oil drained and on the oil filter?

Quote:
I will get back to you on this one. From what I recall, it was mineral oil.
I am still waiting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuRowaine View Post
Factory spec oil in the engine is 5W40 mineral oil only, With the engine requiring 3.1 litres exactly.
I am sorry but 5W40 goes into the Synthetic and not mineral.

Anurag.
Old 14th February 2014, 14:45   #110

oops ....
I am sorry ...
Recently after my ertiga came out from the 20,000 kms service, the advisor kept telling its mineral oil, and on rechecking the spec, it was 5W40. I was confused whether the grade belongs to mineral or synthetic.
I stand corrected.
Thank you, - a lesson learnt for not checking it with google or standard manuals.
Old 14th February 2014, 16:05   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Were there any metal pieces/debris or any such things in the oil drained and on the oil filter?
Didn't notice much. I think it will be too tiny or fine to even feel these pieces even if they are a part or the break-in period. We only felt the viscosity with the typical droplet between the fingers method and that was still good.

Quote:
I am still waiting!
I never checked what Oil it had but the manual says that the "Preferred" is W40 and hence should be synthetic.
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-engine-oil.jpg
Old 14th February 2014, 16:23   #112
BANNED

Quote:
I never checked what Oil it had but the manual says that the "Preferred" is W40 and hence should be synthetic.
The diesel chart for preferred oil says 5W40, so it has to be Synthetic only.

Anurag.
Old 25th March 2014, 16:08   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

So, after around 3 months of office commute and a few long drives to Belur, Mysore, Chikmagalur, Gujarat, Goa, Pondicherry, the Ertiga reached the 15,000kms milestone today.
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-10155575_10152068700484998_1869803196_n.jpg
So Significant update to add to this thread as of now as the car continues to serve me well without any complaints.

A long drive to Pune, Mumbai and Aurangabad is planned next month which will add at least 2500 k,ms to the Odo by end of April.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 19:53   #114
BANNED

Quote:
So, after around 3 months of office commute and a few long drives to Belur, Mysore, Chikmagalur, Gujarat, Goa, Pondicherry, the Ertiga reached the 15,000kms milestone today.

So Significant update to add to this thread as of now as the car continues to serve me well without any complaints.

A long drive to Pune, Mumbai and Aurangabad is planned next month which will add at least 2500 k,ms to the Odo by end of April.
Congrats on reaching the milestone and you are just shy of 2 lakh kms to reach what the tall boy has accomplished.

My Swift odometer reads 8070 kms as of today. Seeing your driving, catching up with the Ertiga is impossible.

Happy touring.

PS: to the list of trips planned please add Hyderabad too.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 21:11   #115
Senior - BHPian

Holy Molly, 15 K in 3 months! It looks like you spend a good part of the day behind the wheel, else how can one munch so many miles ?

Congrats for attaining that mark and wish you many years of happy motoring on it.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 12:05   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Holy Molly, 15 K in 3 months! It looks like you spend a good part of the day behind the wheel, else how can one munch so many miles ?

Congrats for attaining that mark and wish you many years of happy motoring on it.
Actually It is ~ 5 months (Delivered on Oct 16th 2013 & seldom driven for the initial 10 days due to pending registration)!

My daily usage is about 70 Kms to my work and back on weekdays.
Apart from this, on weekends Its mostly the WagonR that does duty for intra city errands.

A few trips to my home town (500 kms each time), and one to Gujarat (~4000kms), one to Pondi and Kumbakonam (around 600) and the drive to Goa (1400) is what added significantly to this 15000 on the ODO.

Couple of more trips this summer will surely add another 3000 (apart from my office commute) in the next 45 days !
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 13:02   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Parag on reaching the 15K milestone. And what a time to reach to it..just 5 months? I would have asked the same question as vnabhi asked, but then some of your outstation trips would explain that.
So, 2.15 lacs on the Waggie and already 15K here...that is some serious numbers that you have done. And nice to know that Ertiga is delivering you what Japanese cars are renowned for - serving reliably as a workhorse...for long.

Wish you many happy miles.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 10:56   #118
BHPian

Parag

This is a top review and I have loved every update you have had. Some commonality - even I had gone on a ~4000 kms drive to Gujarat (and south RJ) soon after buying my Ertiga.

My typical service cost is around 5.5 to 6K but this has 800 rs of interior cleaning, leather polish, and an almost 3.5K of synthetic oil (Castrol Edge).

Keep up the thread.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 16:00   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Congratulations Parag on reaching the 15K milestone. And what a time to reach to it..just 5 months? I would have asked the same question as vnabhi asked, but then some of your outstation trips would explain that.
So, 2.15 lacs on the Waggie and already 15K here...that is some serious numbers that you have done. And nice to know that Ertiga is delivering you what Japanese cars are renowned for - serving reliably as a workhorse...for long.

Wish you many happy miles.

Regards,
Saket
Thanks Saket. Like I mentioned it elsewhere in this same thread, I would not be someone who would call a car niggle free at this tender age when I know that I have had Zero breakdowns in the WagonR till date. At least till 1 Lac kms on the ODO is when I would not go gung-ho calling it niggle free . May be because, I am pampered by the way WagonR has served me!

That said, I am absolutely satisfied with the Ertiga in terms of what I looked for and what I got for what I paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Parag

This is a top review and I have loved every update you have had. Some commonality - even I had gone on a ~4000 kms drive to Gujarat (and south RJ) soon after buying my Ertiga.
Thanks Rajain. In fact I followed your GJ-RJ trip mainly for knowing more about the highway benefits of the Ertiga and I share the same experience as you after driving back.

The Ertiga is indeed a comfortable, car like spacious highway cruiser. Maintaining 110-120kmph speeds come easy and the fact that I didn't have to bother much to downshift when I needed the power for overtaking quickly.

Quote:
My typical service cost is around 5.5 to 6K but this has 800 rs of interior cleaning, leather polish, and an almost 3.5K of synthetic oil (Castrol Edge).
Actually, Since 3rd free service happens at 10k along with oil change, I spent for the oil and oil filter and my next service at 20k will be a paid service.

Hope you let us know the latest update with the Ertiga which is soon going to reach the half lac mark !
Old 26th May 2014, 16:38   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

DIY Armrest Install

So after a lot of deliberation, I finally managed to install an aftermarket armrest.

I was pampered with the armrest in the WagonR that I missed it badly in the Ertiga. Not just resting your elbow but the space underneath came in handy to store toll receipts and many other belongings.

Ordered one from ebay which was delivered in 2 days time. For those of you who are interested, I found this seller pretty cheap and reliable for the products sold.
http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=141264543846

Installation

It was easier in case of the Ertiga than the WagonR. The Center gear lever console consists of 2 separate pieces. One that covers the gear lever and the other part in the rear covering the Hand Brake lever.

This rear was easy to remove with taking out the 2 plastic studs on either sides and lifting the console. Ensuring that the hand brake lever is pulled completely up, it makes taking out the assembly very easy.

Insulation for the Armrest base and Holder:

I didn't want plastics to make any noise and being wary about it, I thought of insulating the area where 2 plates meet with some cushioning material. I had a good amount of material which I earlier used for installing a second layer of floor carpet for the WagonR and I simply cut the same into strip and pasted on either sides of the Armrest base as you can see in the pictures below:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20140524_103645.jpg
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20140524_103722.jpg
Holes to the Center Console:

I somehow wanted to accomplish this without making any holes. Ultimately I had to make 4 holes (2 on either sides of the console).

My earlier plan was to simply use stationary Binder clips to secure the armrest but the fact that the design of the center console's base itself was not perfectly straight made me opt for Holes.

With the Armrest attached with the base, I marked the holes accordingly (This is the first exercise before removing the center console). What you see below are the pictures after drilling holes on either sides of the center console.
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20140524_113302.jpg
Mounting the Armrest:

I finally mounted the Armrest onto the center console. You can notice in the below picture on how well the color of the Armrest unit almost meets to that of the Interior plastic shade of the Ertiga.
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20140524_120952.jpg
The following pictures will give you an idea about how the Armrest fits and the gap surrounding the area where it is mounted.
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20140524_121332.jpg
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20140524_121653.jpg
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20140524_121805.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed