Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2014, 23:40   #136
BANNED

re: The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Suzuki Swift ZDi (Torque Blue) - 30K kms up!

UPDATE, Again but a sad one!

First dent on the car since purchase. Thanks to a biker who rammed into me at 40 kmph where I had slammed my brakes to save myself from a 5 car pile-up. I could save my car from becoming the 6th car in the pile-up thanks to ABS. I could steer away but the biker behind was too close to me and could not stop in time.

I pulled the biker's keys and demanded money for new bumper as it was cracked and needed replacement (with painting).

The biker was in a hurry so he paid me 9K and asked me to get it rectified and if the costs cross 9K, he would bear the amount (Address and contact number taken). Things went well and politely without any heated debates etc

So called up my MASS where I visit frequently, they gave an final estimate of 6K including repainting with proper colour matching. Shall be giving the car tomorrow morning by 8am and they have promised me hand the car back by evening 6pm.

Here is the picture of the bumper:

The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-20140317_195010.jpg

Will update the status tomorrow again!

Anurag.

Last edited by mobike008 : 18th March 2014 at 12:55. Reason: removed physical assault as it meant you would use that if biker dint pay up....
Old 18th March 2014, 06:21   #137
BHPian

It is very sad to hear such news..
The good thing is thaat you were not injured.
Can you give me the exact cost of the damages?
Old 18th March 2014, 09:23   #138
Senior - BHPian

re: The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Suzuki Swift ZDi (Torque Blue) - 30K kms up!

Quote:
First dent on the car since purchase.
Oh..Oh! That is a bad one. However, it was nice of the biker that he paid 9K and went off saying he shall take any additional costs incurred.

Do not worry too much, get it replaced and hopefully you shall return the 3 K to the biker

Happy Motoring!
Old 18th March 2014, 10:57   #139
BHPian

Sad to hear about your car, but hopefully everything will get sorted out soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
First dent on the car since purchase. Thanks to a biker who rammed into me at 40 kmph where I had slammed my brakes to save myself from a 5 car pile-up. I could save my car from becoming the 6th car in the pile-up thanks to ABS. I could steer away but the biker behind was too close to me and could not stop in time.
Please don't mind, but I was trying to find the biker's fault for which he had to pay up 9K.

Possible Fault 1: He was too close to you, but had your car not been equipped with ABS, you too would have been a 6th car in the pile up, so that means you too were too close to the car in front?

Possible Fault 2: He was on bike without ABS, & so he could not stop in time.

I do not want to start any argument, but I feel that such pile ups are usually a fault of 1-2 people at the start & all the tail enders are just a victim, whether it was you or that biker.

Obviously one should keep a safe distance proportional to their speeds at all times to be prepared for such cases.
Old 18th March 2014, 11:40   #140
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Possible Fault 1: He was too close to you, but had your car not been equipped with ABS, you too would have been a 6th car in the pile up, so that means you too were too close to the car in front?

Possible Fault 2: He was on bike without ABS, & so he could not stop in time.

I do not want to start any argument, but I feel that such pile ups are usually a fault of 1-2 people at the start & all the tail enders are just a victim, whether it was you or that biker.

Obviously one should keep a safe distance proportional to their speeds at all times to be prepared for such cases.
I agree but will disagree. I don't maintain the 3 second gap but during this incident the gap between my car and the one in front of me was around 2 sedans and this being a 4-lane highway I was at 90kmph. To my left there was a trailer so I could not move left and had to brake hard.

The biker was on a Hero Splendor and was too close to me and to the divider where he fell on the opposite side of the road due to impact.

From my IRVM, the biker was not visible, but there was an Tata Indigo CS who did brake in time else the he would have run-over the biker.

I was not tail gaiting the cars in front of me but was on an offset to left hence I noticed the pile up well ahead to brake in time and I didn't stand on the pedal.

Anurag.
Old 18th March 2014, 21:51   #141
BANNED

BACK WITH THE UPDATE (Good One though)

As mentioned in my last post I had given the car at 9am and was promised to get it back by 6 pm, which they indeed did and all works done properly.

Painting and refitting was fast and neat with no man handling done to the car.

I also changed the right side ORVM blinker after the rear bumper work was completed though I wasn't charged for labour for the indicator job.

Attaching a few pictures of the rear end post fitting of the bumper:

The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-20140318_194106.jpg

The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-20140318_194115.jpg

ORVM Indicator:

The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-20140318_194131.jpg

The ORVM indicator refitting is a very tensing job as the plastic outer cowl has to be pulled out and if mishandled the clips can break and would need a new cowl and again repainting of that cowl.

Though this was a combined DIY by the mechanic and me, was tensing to see the plastic make cracking sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayush1434 View Post
Can you give me the exact cost of the damages?
Here you go:

Bumper : Rs 2400/-
Painting : Rs 2500/-
Bumper Clip (Plastic) : Rs 100/-
Labour : Rs 500/-
Tip (By the Biker) : Rs 500/-

Total : Rs 6000/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
hopefully you shall return the 3 K to the biker
The total cost of the work came upto 5.5K so I returned the 3.5K to the biker. But the biker himself paid Rs 500 extra to the guys who worked on my car.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 21:56   #142
BHPian

Quote:

The total cost of the work came upto 5.5K so I returned the 3.5K to the biker. But the biker himself paid Rs 500 extra to the guys who worked on my car.
Its atleast a good sign that the person who caused this accident is courageous to accept his mistake and pay for the damages and even pay extra for the labour work.
Old 19th March 2014, 09:31   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attaching a few pictures of the rear end post fitting of the bumper
Hi Anurag,

Good to see the boy back to his form on the road. I am also happy to note that the biker is a responsible person and so are you

Let's plan to meet at 3M soon, for our car craziness
Old 19th March 2014, 18:41   #144
BANNED

Quote:
Hi Anurag,

Good to see the boy back to his form on the road. I am also happy to note that the biker is a responsible person and so are you.

Let's plan to meet at 3M soon, for our car craziness
Thank you.

Sure, we can meet up soon. Shall ping you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayush1434 View Post
Its atleast a good sign that the person who caused this accident is courageous to accept his mistake and pay for the damages and even pay extra for the labour work.
I agree. The biker guy had a nice attitude and did accept his fault hence he paid up.

Anurag.
Old 20th March 2014, 12:11   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile this happened.

Attachment 1210404

Shall be giving it for service in a few days.

No DIY. Going to replace it at a known workshop.

Will update the status tomorrow.

Anurag.
Congrats on completing 5k kms This is around the same mileage when my ZDI's rear axle started acting up. It started as a irritating sound from the rear everytime I went over uneven roads. Told my SA about this during 2nd free service in Dec 2013, no questions asked, he replaced the rear axle under warranty. It seemed like a known issue and Maruthi is probably doing a rather quite recall to replace a known fault on ZDI.
Old 20th March 2014, 20:52   #146
BHPian

Quote:
No problem buddy. I am still scouting for the part here at the MGP. Have exchanged quiet a few emails with Maruti regarding it. Hope I get the part today.

If you want should I get one for you too? AFAIK, you need the right side ORVM blinker too?
Thanks for the kind offer Anurag.
Dealers up here north are very accommodating with such part requests.
The Parts Manager here in MSM is committed to arrange any minutest part within a day(if requested before 3 PM the previous day) and offer a discount on the bill too(5-7.5%). May be proximity to their main store house at Gurgaon helps.

I am thinking of continuing with the same blinker for the time being since the functionality is perfect and cosmetic damage is minimal.

Sorry to hear about the damage to your swift's rear bumper. Just make sure all the claddings and clips have been fixed by raising the car on a lift. The workers even at A.S.S. are notorious for skipping attention to detail unless coaxed.

Regards
Old 20th March 2014, 21:00   #147
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
Sorry to hear about the damage to your swift's rear bumper. Just make sure all the claddings and clips have been fixed by raising the car on a lift. The workers even at A.S.S. are notorious for skipping attention to detail unless coaxed.
All fitting of the fender was done in front of me they were doing things without me telling them.

They only painted the bumper and kept it ragi add I told them NOT to fit it back in my absence. They did wait patiently for be to return.

Overall good job done. I'm happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless.... View Post
It seemed like a known issue and Maruthi is probably doing a rather quite recall to replace a known fault on ZDI.
No such problems with my ZDi till date and I haven't heard of this issue also. Would be good if you can elaborate on the issue and the parts that were replaced.

Btw now the car has clocked 7600 kms.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 20th March 2014 at 21:02.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 08:50   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I am also happy to note that the biker is a responsible person and so are you
Anurag, Just saw this. I am really impressed with the BIKER. I think we all should recommend his name to GTO, for a TBHP membership for him since he is exactly a TBHP character.

BTW, which A.S.S? The whole work and charges seem to be reasonable, which might be the reason for the TIP from the biker.

- Sai
Old 24th March 2014, 08:53   #149
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vihari View Post
BTW, which A.S.S? The whole work and charges seem to be reasonable, which might be the reason for the TIP from the biker.
The work was done at Gem Motors, near Miyapur.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 11:15   #150
BHPian

Quote:
I have got my car finally serviced today.

No work/replacements done as all is well with the car but the service manager was shocked to see 5K kms in 2 months.

Since I am running in short of time got the wheel Alignment and Balancing done at MASS. Not much difference found but it is OK for this time.

Here is a screen shot of details of the bill.

Attachment 1212757

Paid a total bill of Rs 1048.

Shall be replacing the right side blinker tomorrow as MASS was not having stock for the right side blinker.

Anurag.
In my second service I am being told that I need to put up an A/C blower air filter into the car costing around Rs. 350. The SA says it is not put into the factory but put during service to prevent the blockage/dirt accumulation in ac blower.
Is it really necessary and worth going for?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks