Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2015, 09:43   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Suzuki Swift ZDi (Torque Blue) - 30K kms up!

Good going there Anurag! Nice to see the DIYs coming up. Its a lovely feeling to get things done oneself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Air filter (Top view):
Attachment 1341613

Air Filter (Engine Side):
Attachment 1341611
Just wanted to point out that its the other way around. It is the top portion which is exposed to the engine' intake. The bottom portion of the filter is exposed to the elements and traps out the dust, flies etc.
Old 27th March 2015, 10:02   #317
BHPian

Re: The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Suzuki Swift ZDi (Torque Blue) - 30K kms up!

Sorry for the dumb question, but what does MAF stand for and what does the sensor do?
Old 27th March 2015, 11:02   #318
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
Now, I want to change the dashboard and interior lighting of my Swift to White and blue. Can any one help me out with this please? Is it possible at all?
It is possible and the best person who can guide you on DIY for replacements of parts is Gannu_1!

I am thinking of getting the cabin light changed from Yellow to white with slightly brighter output. Not touching the central console and instrumentation console lights. I keep that as OEM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Those halogen bulbs should be the 12V W5W type. Replace it with W5W LEDs of any color. The power draw would be a lot lesser but there shouldn't be any bulb-out/bulb-fused warning.
Thank you for pitching in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
Thanks dude. But, is it a DIY thing? Replacing the lights in the dash, near the AC controls etc, do you think we can do it in a couple of hours?
It is a DIY mostly but for the central and instrumentation console that would require removal of dashboard to access the rear of the console and ACC unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Good going there Anurag! Nice to see the DIYs coming up. Its a lovely feeling to get things done oneself.
Oh yes, gives a sense of happiness when doing something by yourself. Many more DIY's are lined up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Sorry for the dumb question, but what does MAF stand for and what does the sensor do?
MAF - Mass Air Flow Sensor.

The information from the sensor is necessary for the ECU to balance and deliver the correct fuel mass to the engine. Incorrect information to the ECU would either lead to a rich or lean fuel mixture so to give the best quantity the MAF gives the air flow readings.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2015, 00:48   #319
BANNED

UPDATE - A BRIGHTER ONE

Flashback:

One fine night when returning home from work, found the left side headlamp (Low beam ONLY - Philips Xtreme Vision) fused forcing me to revert the spare bulbs provided by Maruti Suzuki - Jagan 60/55W.

Present:

With the fused bulbs and the silly Jagan headlamps, driving was getting a pain with these bulbs was which was feeling like holding a candle in hand. Searched a lot of shops and also online stores for Philips Xtreme Vision (60/55W) but in vain never got any. With a tight schedule in hand I could think of any alternative and continued driving with the spare bulbs.

There were only two choices I had in mind,

1) Get used to these Jagan headlamps and drive till a worthy replacement is found or

2) Get an Upgrade.

Now the 'Upgrade' had to fulfil a few requirements:
  • Safe for the electrical system + reflectors - Priority;
  • Safe for the oncoming and other road users - Priority;
  • No issues to warranty and
  • Lighter on the pocket.

With the above requirements, I started talking accessory installer, modifiers and also BHPians on this subject of an upgrade also have read the Auto lighting thread before I jump into an upgrade. I needed a branded, reliable wiring harness kit that shouldn't tamper the OEM wiring harness.

After a lot of reading, searching, shop jumping, I narrowed down onto:

Wiring harness kit: Hella (Sustainable upto 130W).
Bulbs: Philips Rally 100/90W H4 (P43t base).

The kit consists of:
  • Wiring harness neatly covered and insulated,
  • Ceramic Holders,
  • 2 Heavy Duty 30A Fuses for each Beam,
  • A Relay.

Costs incurred:

Wiring kit: ₹1200
Bulbs: 180 each x 2 = ₹ 360
Labour: ₹50
Total: ₹1550.

I did use nylon cable ties too for the installation to keep the wires bundled to prevent them from moving around or getting damaged in the long run.

Small Review:

Post installation I did have 20 kms of roads to check the difference, I must say that it was great to have gone for the upgrade. The low beam now feels brighter and sharper with right amount of the light spread onto the roads. Never did I feel the need to switch onto high beams except while passing (during overtaking).

A few pictures:

Hella Wiring Harness kit:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-20150328_200607vert.jpg

Philips Rally (100/90W):
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-20150328_200508horz.jpg

W.I.P:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-20150328_175356.jpg

Philips Rally - Low Beam:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-pr-low-beam.jpg

Philips Rally - High Beam:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-pr-high-beam.jpg

Information - FYI:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-20150328_200644.jpg

Thanks for reading.

NOTE 1: Thank to Parag Sachania for the information and guidance and tips for the installation.

NOTE 2: Shall upload better pictures along with a comparison in the later days. Apologies for the low res pictures that I'm uploading currently.

Last edited by a4anurag : 29th March 2015 at 00:57. Reason: A small addition!
a4anurag is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 21:12   #320
BANNED

MILESTONE UPDATE

The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-20150331_183503.jpg

40000 kms in 1 year 3 months.

Blue Streak has clicked another milestone in its journey.

Feels brilliant to be back behind the wheel after a gap of 1 month. The car is now back to mile clocking.

40K service will be done soon.

Last edited by a4anurag : 31st March 2015 at 21:16.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 10:15   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MILESTONE UPDATE

40000 kms in 1 year 3 months.
Holy Smoke a4anurag have you been driving all over India in your Blue Streak or was it a typo ?

I mean 40k Kms in 15 months ??

I am not sure how bad the OEM or Philips Xtreme vision was on your Swift, but my Polo needs a serious Headlight upgrade.

Can you please provide the details of the shop where you sourced the kit and got it installed.

Wish you many more mile crunching, not that you have not now !!
Old 1st April 2015, 11:37   #322
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Holy Smoke a4anurag have you been driving all over India in your Blue Streak or was it a typo?
Not a typo at all.

The figure 40K is just home to work and back.

Actually this figure came up 1 month late. Was off driving 1 month else the 40K kms would have reached at 1 year 2 months.

Quote:
I am not sure how bad the OEM or Philips Xtreme vision was on your Swift, but my Polo needs a serious Headlight upgrade.
OEM : Osram Bilux - Totally Useless

Upgrade 1 : Philips XV - Great bulb but no stocks found.

Upgrade 2 : Philips Rally 100/90W + Kit.

What I am currently using - Philips Rally 100/90W setup is great. I just love driving at nights even more.

Quote:
Can you please provide the details of the shop where you sourced the kit and got it installed.
Shop Name: Nandi

Your location says: Bangalore, Are you currently in Hyderabad? We can meet up if possible.

Last edited by a4anurag : 1st April 2015 at 11:39.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 16:31   #323
BANNED

re: The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold

As I could get a clear stretch near home, clicked a few pictures to show the headlamp spread and view from driver's eye.

Low Beam ONLY:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-low-beam.jpg

High Beam ONLY:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-high-beam.jpg

Low Beam + Fog lamps:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-low-beam-fog-lamp.jpg

High Beam + Fog Lamps:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-high-beam-fog.jpg

I am mostly on Low beam as it is adequate but do get an itch when I see people driving with high beam + fog lamps ON at nights. One flick of the switch they do switch to low beam.

I find this setup good till now (VFM too) and have done over 300 kms of driving in night with this setup. Yet to see excessive heating or any such issues with the headlamps/reflectors.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 09:36   #324
BANNED

Quote:
I narrowed down onto:

Wiring harness kit: Hella (Sustainable upto 130W).
Bulbs: Philips Rally 100/90W H4 (P43t base).
With the head lamp upgrade I wanted to see how is there a difference in the load on the engine when the headlamps are ON and OFF.

What are the effects on the battery etc is what I wanted to know hence plugged-in the OBD reader to see how the values for Load and Battery Voltage behave during the following conditions:
  1. Case 1: Idling
  2. Case 2: Idling + Low beam
  3. Case 3: Idling + High beam

Case 1
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-idle.png

Case 2
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-low-beam-idle.png

Case 3
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-high-beam-idle.png

Looking at the below reading:

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 3054
Size:  12.0 KB

I do feel that it is wise to not keep the car idling and having the headlights ON as it will be consuming unnecessary fuel plus generate heat that would ruin the reflectors and headlight.
a4anurag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 11:01   #325
BHPian

I had the same setup on my ex-Aveo, and my current Verna. In both cases I had noticed the headlamp assembly to be substantially hotter. While the Aveo's reflector wasnt all that good, the Verna is better.

I am currently skeptical about doing the same upgrade on my Swift. I am concerned about spoiling the reflectors. Did you notice any such thing?
Old 7th April 2015, 13:52   #326
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
I had the same setup on my ex-Aveo, and my current Verna. In both cases I had noticed the headlamp assembly to be substantially hotter. While the Aveo's reflector wasnt all that good, the Verna is better.

I am currently skeptical about doing the same upgrade on my Swift. I am concerned about spoiling the reflectors. Did you notice any such thing?
Yet to touch it physically and see as I forget to check it after driving from home to work that takes me an hour (60 kms).

Will check today and update it here.

I am happy with this setup and have confidence that the headlamps will sustain this upgrade.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 09:48   #327
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post

In response to my earlier post yesterday where I did promise to get back on the heating issue with the 100/90 setup.

I did feel the heat but it was OK and not blazing hot. I could touch the headlight. I keep the lights on low beam so the heating may not be much as compared to when driving on high beams.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 10:00   #328
BHPian

re: The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold

Came across similar Hella Rally 90/100 bulbs yesterday for the same price. Not sure how it will turn out to be. The Philips ones are unavailable at my place currently. Will do the installation next week.

Btw, by any chance did you get any warranty on the bulbs or the harness?
Old 8th April 2015, 10:21   #329
BHPian

Having Hella 130/90 with Bosch Relay and Cable Harness in my Swift Old model from last 6 months without any problems.
Of course the light unit becomes too hot in prolonged use but still to identify any damage in the reflectors.
Old 8th April 2015, 10:25   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Your location says: Bangalore, Are you currently in Hyderabad? We can meet up if possible.
Hey Anurag, sorry did not realize you had posted. Strangely, I did not receive an e-mail notification about the qoutes!!

I am in Bangalore bro and probably will be visiting Hyderabad sometime this year, when we plan a visit to Tadoba.

Oh by the way, I also got my Headlight bulbs upgraded to Hella 90/100 with the clip on kit, exactly like the one BrRaj has on his GT. It has made a lot of difference to my night drives now. Will share the review soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks