Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2015, 12:50   #406
BANNED

re: The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold

After I changed the tyres from MRF ZVTV to MRF Z.L.O, I found a continuous humming noise irrespective of gear the car is but mainly evident in between 40 - 55 kmph. I was expecting it to be tyre noise so I let it be for the initial kms till they bed in but as of today the car has done 3.4K on the new set of tyres. I maintain F=32psi and R=30psi topped up with Nitrogen.

Went to MASS and gave them the car to check what the noise was and they returned saying it is wheel bearing that has done kaput. I gave them a go ahead to change the same. So should be taking it to MASS in a day or two. The front Left one is gone.

I was initially thinking of getting all 4 changed but was advised that there is no point and only good to change the effected one. Also the cra being at 57K kms, I thought of getting all this done during the 60K service but that is still a month away and I didn't want to torture that bearing further.

Shall update the thread with the costs and post change behaviour.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 00:31   #407
BHPian

That's odd. The Swift's bearings are that shortlived? Please do let us know the cost, etc when the repair is done. I ask this because the alloy wheels I installed on my car have offset +28. Am wondering what the cost of bearing replacement would be if these wheels cause a premature failure. Hopefully there will be no issue.

By the way, bearings are not covered under warranty? I suppose they are considered a wear and tear item.
Old 13th October 2015, 01:23   #408
BANNED

LATEST UPDATE:

Quote:
Went to MASS and gave them the car to check what the noise was and they returned saying it is wheel bearing that has done kaput.
After I got the car checked at Gem motors MASS, went to Sai Service MASS for a second opinion. They checked the way mentioned in this way :

Check from 2:00 -

Initially the SA at Gem motors just drove around and concluded that the bearing is shot.

But now it is concluded that bearings are good. The issue is somewhere else. Now I suspect the tyres itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
That's odd. The Swift's bearings are that shortlived?
Please check above. I have updated the issue

Cost of front bearing is 925 bucks.

Last edited by a4anurag : 13th October 2015 at 01:25.
Old 13th October 2015, 01:49   #409
Team-BHP Support

re: The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold

The humming noise from ZLO tyres have been reported by other owners as well. I remember reading this when searching for my tyre upgrade last time around.

I guess the tyres are the culprit here as well.
Old 13th October 2015, 02:20   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Please check above. I have updated the issue

Cost of front bearing is 925 bucks.
Wow! That's a relief! Good thing you didn't have to get the bearing replaced. Also good to know it isn't super expensive. How much might the labour be?
Old 13th October 2015, 02:30   #411
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The humming noise from ZLO tyres have been reported by other owners as well.
Yes buddy. Shall go through the ZLO thread again. Any way to zero down or diagnose that the tyre is at fault?

It is very irritating to drive with that noise but the tyre performance is exceptional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
Wow! That's a relief!
Didn't find out costs for labor as the need to change wasn't required.
Old 13th October 2015, 05:48   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Didn't find out costs for labor as the need to change wasn't required.
I am sure the labour cost will not be low since they would have to pull the bearing out and fit the replacement with some machine. Anyway, the info on the part cost is helpful. Thanks.
Old 14th October 2015, 10:03   #413
Senior - BHPian

Glad you didnt have to change bearings but in case of replacement shouldn't it be done in pairs ?
Old 14th October 2015, 11:16   #414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Glad you didnt have to change bearings but in case of replacement shouldn't it be done in pairs ?
Not at all. Bearings can be replaced individually based on which one needs a change due to wear and tear or any issues.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 01:43   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Not at all. Bearings can be replaced individually based on which one needs a change due to wear and tear or any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post

Also, if I am not mistaken, in many cars if a hub is disassembled, the bearing suffers damage during the process which is why it is always replaced when the hub is reinstalled. Both bearings in a single wheel have to be replaced but not all bearings on the whole axle. That means if the front left wheel hub is removed, the front right bearing need not be replaced.
Darth Sid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 01:40   #416
BANNED

Nothing much to update though, the car has now crossed 58K kms and is running well.

IFTEX - System D:

It's been 6 full tanks that I have been using the "System D" fuel additive that I bought.

Verdict:
Can't find any difference in sound. FE is remaining same as earlier. May be the difference is inside and not visible to me!

MRF Z.L.O.:

Been almost 4000 kms on these tyres. Running exceptionally well and I am enjoying every kilometer with it but for that humming sound that I hear between 40-60 kmph. Not getting time to diagnose the possible culprit.

__________________________________________________ _________________

HUD given to me for Review:

My close friend who currently drives a 2013 Ritz LDi is now missing the tachometer and was in need of one. So I suggested him to get the Tachometer fixed as seen in the higher variants but he was not wanting to cut the dashboard to fix it. So with this option out, the other choice was tachometer's that we see in Fast and Furious movies.

Gave him couple of links and he did zero down on one but somehow cancelled that idea too but while browsing for this, I came across this HUD. Started searching the same on AliExpress. Sent him the link again for him to decide. Without any much thought he bought it right away.

Got this delivered today after 64 days and 11 hours from Shipping time.

Here are the initial pictures of the same. Shall post a detailed review on it as I'll be having this in my possession for over a month:

The Packaging:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-img_20151021_160101.jpg

HUD:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-img_20151021_160123.jpg

Contents (HUD unit; OBD II Cable; Reflecting Film; Anti-slip Pad and User Manual):
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-img_20151021_221009.jpg

The OBD II Cable:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-img_20151021_221031.jpg

The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-img_20151021_221056.jpg

Price that it was bought for:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-screenshot_20150921002926.png

Last edited by a4anurag : 22nd October 2015 at 01:44.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 05:55   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MRF Z.L.O.:

Been almost 4000 kms on these tyres. Running exceptionally well and I am enjoying every kilometer with it but for that humming sound that I hear between 40-60 kmph. Not getting time to diagnose the possible culprit.
The culprit possibly are slightly bent rims. The humming sound started on my car when I hit a bad pothole and bent my rims. The sound disappeared when I swapped the bent rim for a new one. The sound came back after 1.5 months but by then I just chose to ignore it.
Old 22nd October 2015, 10:54   #418
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
The culprit possibly are slightly bent rims. The humming sound started on my car when I hit a bad pothole and bent my rims.
So won't this show up during balancing?
Old 25th October 2015, 01:08   #419
BANNED

With regards to the HUD that I had posted two posts back, here are two pictures and one small video showing the HUD at night time.

Pictures:

Day time:

The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-img_20151023_113445.jpg

Night Time:

The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-img_20151023_222909.jpg

a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2015, 10:00   #420
BHPian

Quote:
So won't this show up during balancing?
If a bent rim is causing noise, it is imbalanced so it should reveal its defect during wheel balancing. A bent flange will have altered mass distribution.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks