Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2015, 10:05   #421
BANNED

PROBLEM: Humming noise between 40 to 55 kmph where it is hard the most. Post 70 kmph it is heard but the concentration required to notice that noise is high. I doubt the MRF ZLO's as this noise is coming post my tyre change. Fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
If a bent rim is causing noise, it is imbalanced so it should reveal its defect during wheel balancing. A bent flange will have altered mass distribution.
I agree. All 4 rims are taking weights between 15 to 20 gms. Had anyone of it been high then it understandable.

Will take to another wheel alignment who is best known in Hyderabad and see if he can solve my issue.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2015, 10:09   #422
BHPian

If only there was a way to get another Swift's wheels on your car for testing. Preferably another Z trim so that tyre/rim size can be matched.
Old 27th October 2015, 21:34   #423
BANNED

re: The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold

SAD UPDATE:

Quoting my own post:
Quote:
After I changed the tyres from MRF ZVTV to MRF Z.L.O, I found a continuous humming noise irrespective of gear the car is but mainly evident in between 40 - 55 kmph.

Shall update the thread with the costs and post change behaviour.
____

I visited one of the best known guys in the wheel alignment, balancing field and I first described my problem to him after which he took a LONG TD to find what the problem could be.

After the TD he was sure that the problem here is the Tyre itself and nothing to do with the rims or alignment/balancing issues.

My further course of action and his suggestion:

1) Write/complain to MRF asking for some way out to the issue

OR

2) Sell (read get rid) these set of tyres to someone and get Michelin/Yokohama)

OR

3) Play louder music on the move so that the humming noise isn't heard.

Shall be writing to MRF and visit the dealer from where I picked the tyres to see what can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The humming noise from ZLO tyres have been reported by other owners as well. I guess the tyres are the culprit here as well.
Quote:
If only there was a way to get another Swift's wheels on your car for testing. Preferably another Z trim so that tyre/rim size can be matched.
Old 27th October 2015, 22:25   #424
BHPian

Hello Anurag

I am running ZLOs in my lancer and am also facing the exact same issue. There is this irritating noise between speeds 40 to 50. The tires are very good otherwise. Please do update once you hear back from MRF
Old 27th October 2015, 22:29   #425
BHPian

Is the humming noise that annoying? My primary requirement from a tyre would be grip. If that is OK, I would live with the other shortcomings. But if it is too annoying, getting rid of the tyres may not be cheap. I had asked at a shop how much my Michelins would fetch. I was quoted 3000 for my tyres which were worth 4500 new. This was at 1100-1200 km.
Old 28th October 2015, 00:11   #426
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarath View Post
I am running ZLOs in my lancer and am also facing the exact same issue. There is this irritating noise between speeds 40 to 50. The tires are very good otherwise. Please do update once you hear back from MRF
Thank you sir for pitching in. So this noise is a known issue.

Shall put a mail to MRF and post on their website. Let's see what is the outcome. Not that I have hopes in MRF to help me out but you never know.

Quote:
Is the humming noise that annoying? My primary requirement from a tyre would be grip. If that is OK, I would live with the other shortcomings.
Grip, Looks , Ride quality, Fuel Efficiency, Handling I'll give 9/10 for the MRF ZLO. Except for the humming sound.

I hate squeaks, rattles and all non standard sounds from my car. This very humming noise is very irritating and keeps haunting like "something is wrong" which runs in the back of the mind. I can't drive peacefully as 50% attention is there always.

Getting rid of the tyres is my last option. I'll see what outcome is by MRF. If not option 3.

Last edited by a4anurag : 28th October 2015 at 00:26.
Old 28th October 2015, 00:24   #427
BHPian

I can totally understand your obsession with out of place noises. I reported an extremely faint "takk" noise in my Swift to the service technician that occurs when launching the car at a very slow pace from rest. Even though it was barely audible only in very quiet surroundings, it was a cause for concern for me. Sounded to me like backlash in the differential or driveshafts. The technician confirmed that a slight noise is normal but it should only occur once when moving from standstill as the backlash is taken up and should not occur again once in motion. It doesn't occur in motion so all is good. I'm over that sound now.

Same was the case for me when I moved from a Bullet to a Pulsar 220 for the first time five years back. You don't expect certain sounds from a modern bike but the bike simply made "Pulsar noises" which I learned to accommodate.

Yeah, I think you should get MRF's response on this since the tyres perform very well. Even if they acknowledge it as a known issue, I think that should be assurance enough.

Last edited by Darth Sid : 28th October 2015 at 00:26.
Old 28th October 2015, 22:51   #428
BANNED

re: The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold

I have contacted MRF and also the dealer where I bought tyres. Have registered a complaint on MRF Website too!

The dealer is denying the fact that there is humming noise and that it because of the tyres. I have been asked for time so that they can see if something can be done on this issue or no. Buyback is ruled out by them anyway.
Old 28th October 2015, 23:11   #429
BHPian

That's expected from the local dealer unless you have some kind of stick to show, not quite sure their inspection will yield much.
Lets see what MRF comes back with.
Old 30th October 2015, 16:54   #430
BANNED

Just had do a short round trip of 320 kms to the nearby town on official work.

Onward Journey:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-onward.jpg

Return Journey:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-return.jpg

I love the Swift more after the trip thanks to rock stable nature and some more stability contributed thanks to the Z.L.O's due to the width of the tyres. All the corners and undulations were handled perfectly. I kept speeds between 80-100 kmph for most of the time.

After I reached Hyderabad took the car to the wheel alignment centre where the guy there is an Ex-MASS employee. He inspected the car, drove it for 10+ kms and confirmed that the tyres are at fault.

The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-img_20151029_150834horz.jpg
__________________________________________________ ______

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarath View Post
Please do update once you hear back from MRF
Quote:
Yeah, I think you should get MRF's response on this since the tyres perform very well. Even if they acknowledge it as a known issue, I think that should be assurance enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Lets see what MRF comes back with.
Here's the reply I received from MRF today on the issue as I had posted on their website - Complaints section.

Quote:
Dear Mr.Anurag Shenoy, Ref.No:1124/2015

We regret the inconvenience caused to you due to the reported tyre issue.

In the meantime, we have forwarded your mail to Mr. Kamal Kumar Chaturvedi, our District Manager at Hyderabad, who will coordinate inspection of the said tyre by our Technical personnel. After inspecting the tyre, based on his findings, our Technical personnel will advise you further in this regard. Kindly bear with us till then and oblige.

Regards,

GEORGE TITUS
Manager – Customer Service
MRF Limited,114, Greams Road, Chennai - 600 006
Fingers crossed! And hope there is some resolution to this.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 17:04   #431
BHPian

I assume they will let you know where you have to go for the inspection. Good to know things are moving forward.
Old 30th October 2015, 17:47   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Here's the reply I received from MRF today on the issue as I had posted on their website - Complaints section.
Okk .. that looks better than outright rejection from MRF I read about somewhere about similar issue.
They are possibly taking this problem more seriously now, hopefully should acknowledge it.
Old 31st October 2015, 16:38   #433
BANNED

Quote:
I assume they will let you know where you have to go for the inspection. Good to know things are moving forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
They are possibly taking this problem more seriously now, hopefully should acknowledge it.
Got a call from the sales team based in Hyderabad in the afternoon. The guy called up asking what the issue was exactly. After I explained the issue and pointing out that the pattern 'could be' the reason for that humming noise but he outright said a "No, it can't be the pattern!"

MRF Representative (MR): As the tyre manufacture process pertaining to MRF is 25% machine oriented and the rest 75% is human and hand-made. So the humming noise could be due to uneven or improper distribution of the rubber compound over the surface causing the noise.

Me: If that's the case, shouldn't the sound amplify at higher speeds?

MR: He was silent and said he'll answer after he checks my tyre personally.

Not believing him fully but giving a chance to prove himself. I have fixed an appointment with him on Monday, 4pm to be met at MRF's T & S centre at Medchal where the engineer will come and personally inspect all 4 tyres and help me solve the problem. If he finds an issue all 4 tyres will be changed.

Shall update the thread by Monday evening on the outcome.

Last edited by a4anurag : 31st October 2015 at 16:41.
Old 31st October 2015, 17:18   #434
BHPian

The plot thickens... I wonder if uneven distribution could cause humming only at a certain speed. It isn't inconceivable though. Obviously resonance is at play here and the humming occurs at the sweet spot. Monday will tell all, I suppose.
Old 31st October 2015, 19:49   #435
BANNED

Quote:
The plot thickens... I wonder if uneven distribution could cause humming only at a certain speed. It isn't inconceivable though. Obviously resonance is at play here and the humming occurs at the sweet spot. Monday will tell all, I suppose.

I thought if there is uneven distribution, there must be a bumpy ride or tyre jumping at higher speeds. Am I right?

Yes, Monday is the D-Day for MRF!

Most Viewed