Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2015, 01:32   #511
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post

I never knew a diesel engine's weight had anything to do with its durability. Diesel engines have high compression ratios and have to withstand greater stresses due to the fact that they are compression ignition engines (fuel mixture is ignited by compression alone and not an arc) which is usually why they are heavier.
For to the higher compression, load on its internals due to the high torque, higher detonation effects, the cylinder block etc are made thicker than petrol engine so they weight more compared to diesel engines.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2015, 10:44   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
For to the higher compression, load on its internals due to the high torque, higher detonation effects, the cylinder block etc are made thicker than petrol engine so they weight more compared to diesel engines.
Yes, that is why they are heavier. Didn't think that would make it more durable than an equivalent petrol engine. And yes, the higher detonation effects also warrant pistons with low silicon content so that they can tolerate the resultant shockwaves better.

Wouldn't a diesel Swift understeer more than a petrol one? Theoretically, that is. Of course, there would be some changes to the suspension but there still is more weight on the front axle. Higher tyre pressure alone wouldn't do anything.
Old 10th November 2015, 12:53   #513
BHPian

Re: The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Suzuki Swift ZDi (Torque Blue) - Michelin XM2 tires are

Quote:
I never knew a diesel engine's weight had anything to do with its durability. ...
Quote:
I think you guys covered what I thought/meant.
From the link I went through, the reasoning went on the same lines - a diesel engine (w.r.t. its counterpart of same CC)
will need stronger parts for its operations thereby making it heavier and more durable.
IIRC it also implied that diesel fuel has lesser of effect on engine w.r.t. petrol.
Old 10th November 2015, 16:14   #514
BANNED

Quote:
Of course, there would be some changes to the suspension but there still is more weight on the front axle. Higher tyre pressure alone wouldn't do anything.
Hey, I was speaking about tyre pressures mainly.

Suspension component may not have heavy changes but the front end dampening rates would be different for a diesel as compared to petrol. The spring stiffness would be higher / rebound rate would be lesser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
IIRC it also implied that diesel fuel has lesser of effect on engine w.r.t. petrol.
I agree.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 21:17   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, I was speaking about tyre pressures mainly.

Suspension component may not have heavy changes but the front end dampening rates would be different for a diesel as compared to petrol. The spring stiffness would be higher / rebound rate would be lesser.
Ah, yes. Sorry, I went off topic. Your points do make perfect sense. Those are the basic changes that any suspension would require in case of a heavier motor.

Off topic: Happy Diwali!
Darth Sid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 10:55   #516
BANNED

Funny incident:

Look at the message I received below from MRF regarding the complaint that I lodged on the Z.LO. Till now I have got the same message 18 times:

Name:  ForumRunner_20151112_105311.png
Views: 2827
Size:  35.7 KB

My Blue Streak after 61K kms under its belt - Clicked today morning:
Name:  ForumRunner_20151112_105328.png
Views: 2955
Size:  572.3 KB

Last edited by a4anurag : 12th November 2015 at 10:57.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 20:12   #517
BHPian

Looks like one message per tyre. Their ticketing tool must be acting up or the messages must have been stuck in their outbound queue. Looks like MRF doesn't want you to forget them anytime soon.
Darth Sid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 18:36   #518
BANNED

Been over 1000 kms on the Michelin XM2.

Odometer just after tyre swap
Name:  ForumRunner_20151120_182931.png
Views: 2565
Size:  225.0 KB

.. After 1000 kms
Name:  ForumRunner_20151120_182941.png
Views: 2565
Size:  251.4 KB

Been having a great silent and peaceful drive. Loving every moment.

Be it tar road or concrete road, the tyre is silent and it is more of engine + external noise pollution at 100 kmph.

There is an increase of FE by 0.7 to 0.9 kmpl and I am surprised as the ZLO too was 195 section. This conveys that tyre compound has effects on FE, NVH and ride.

With a softer compound the XM2 is comfortable, silent, less rolling resistance all contributing to better FE which is opposite for the ZLO even though parameters like grip, comfort etc are brilliant.

Last edited by a4anurag : 20th November 2015 at 18:40.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 21:36   #519
BHPian

Re: The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Suzuki Swift ZDi (Torque Blue) - Michelin XM2 tyres are

Quote:
Been over 1000 kms on the Michelin XM2.
Oops .. that's just around 10 days
I crossed 5K this week, you will catch me in a month.
Time to go to Mohan Chandra for rotation.
deepv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 22:11   #520
BANNED

Quote:
Oops .. that's just around 10 days
I crossed 5K this week, you will catch me in a month.Time to go to Mohan Chandra for rotation.
It's been 12 days since the tyre swap and i have done 1200 kms already.

I'll visit Mohan Chandra when the odometer clicks 65K. What is your odo reading?

My neighbour has bought a Ciaz ZDi+ few months back and is getting his 2nd service done tomorrow. Autofin Maruti has given him an option of "Service at your Door step". He has accepted it and asked me to be around during to see and experience what is being done.

If I get a chance to witness it and I am satisfied, by next week will get the same thing done for my Swift too as it is already overdue for 60K schedule service (Overdue by 1400 kms). Not getting time to take it to take to Sai Service. As per Autofin, the washing will be done at home as they'll be using the customers hose pipe. I have declined and asked for pressure wash where the car would be driven to the ASC.

Let's see how things pan out. Will update the thread by tomorrow in case I witness this service at home.
Old 20th November 2015, 23:11   #521
BHPian

Re: The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Suzuki Swift ZDi (Torque Blue) - Michelin XM2 tyres are

Quote:
I'll visit Mohan Chandra when the odometer clicks 65K. What is your odo reading?
Oh .. my odo is around 37.4K, had gotten the tyres changed at 32.3K.
While rotating do you follow any particular logic, or is it just left-rear to left-front and right-rear to right-front and vice versa.

My service is also due in second week of December (tentatively 3 weeks, normally another 350-400kms), was just wondering whether WR/WB/WA should be scheduled after that.
Old 20th November 2015, 23:23   #522
BANNED

Quote:

Oh .. my odo is around 37.4K, had gotten the tyres changed at 32.3K.
While rotating do you follow any particular logic, or is it just left-rear to left-front and right-rear to right-front and vice versa.

was just wondering whether WR/WB/WA should be scheduled after that.
This is what I have seen many follow. Couple of alignment shops will too go by this method hence I follow it too.

Get the WA/WB/TR done post service.

Name:  ForumRunner_20151120_232148.png
Views: 2615
Size:  43.9 KB
Old 22nd November 2015, 01:06   #523
BANNED

60K SERVICE UPDATE

Quoting my own post:

Quote:
Autofin Maruti has given him an option of "Service at your Door step".

If I get a chance to witness it and I am satisfied, by next week will get the same thing done for my Swift too
Satisfied with their work, I gave them a green signal and decided to do the service of both the cars today. The Alto K10 completed 6 months hence the 2nd Free Service was done and my Swift anyway was overdue the 60K service that was completed today. First was the K10 to get serviced where it took them half an hour where the jobs done were lubrication/greasing plus top-up of distilled water. Bill paid was ₹0.

After that it was my Streak's turn. Being 60K service the job was lengthy as compared to the K10 where the time taken to do my car was 2.5 hours minus water wash.

Things done:

1) Engine oil
2) Fuel Filter
3) Oil Filter
4) Air Filter
5) Cabin Air filter
6) Brake Fluid
7) Coolant change
8) Brake pads change
9) Distilled water top-up

Niggles reported:

1) Driver side window does not roll up freely after it has reached 70% of its travel - Solved!

2) Metallic sound from the rear when going over bumps/potholes - Solved!
__________________________________________________ __________

Initially when the job card was made they went as per standard parts/fluids that need to be changed but as progressed, they found that the pads have worn out and may run another 2-3K. I am happy that the OEM pads lasted 61K kms.

Solution to the niggles:

1) They sprayed a good amount of 'Wurth rubber care' that reconditions the rubber and prevents it from cracking, drying and brittleness. Now the window rolls up smoothly.

2) The sound was actually found by me and I pointed it out where he came with a simple solution. The bracket in which the rear seat backrest sits was making the metallic sound. The solution using of insulation tape that doesn't let metal-to-metal contact happen that in-turn avoids the sound.
__________________________________________________ _________

The Service Van
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-1.-service-van.jpg

My Car waiting to get serviced after the K10
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-2.-my-car-waiting.jpg

Service Kit
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-3.-service-kit.jpg

Brake Pads
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-4.-brake-pads.jpg

Coolant - MGC (Maruti Genuine Coolant)
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-5.-coolant.jpg

Brake Fluid - MGBF (Maruti Genuine Brake Fluid)
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-6.-brake-fluid.jpg

Cabin Air Filter
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-7.-cabin-air-filter.jpg

Brake pads fitment
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-8a.-brake-pads-fitting.jpg

Brake Pads - Old vs New
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-9.-brake-pads-old-vs-new.jpg

Brake Fluid bleeding
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-10.-brake-fluid-bleeding.jpg

Fuel Filter change
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-11.-fuel-filter-changing.jpg

Coolant Changing
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-12tile.jpg

Wurth Terminal coating spray
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-15.-wurth-terminal-coat.jpg

Wurth Rubber Care
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-4620375590.jpg

The Bill
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-14.-bill.jpg

After all of this was done, I went with the driver and got the car washed, polished. All of this done in a total of 3 hours.

Bill Paid: ₹8,580

PS: The regular MASS doesn't let customer stand and watch what is being done and why is it being done. This point was accepted by the NEXA concept and now customers are allowed to be along the car during the service at MASS. I can now say that I experience the same feeling without the need to get a NEXA car.

The Service Van - Service @ your doorstep concept is picking up well and does make sense for the one who are tight on time and have no chance to leave the car and travel by any alternative way. Moreover there is the choice of timings making it flexible and customer happy. Also the customer is being present along, the technicians explain what is being done and why. I'll be now on choosing this concept for the left over services.

An excellent initiative for Customer Education and Awareness!

Last edited by a4anurag : 22nd November 2015 at 01:22.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 13:13   #524
BHPian

Quote:
The Service Van - Service @ your doorstep concept is picking up well and does make sense for the one who are tight on time and have no chance to leave the car and travel by any alternative way. Moreover there is the choice of timings making it flexible and customer happy. Also the customer is being present along, the technicians explain what is being done and why.
This surely looks like a very good concept, esp. here you could see what/how all is being done, which particularly helps in thrashing out the issues there itself instead of having to do checks/visits again if something is not solved appropriately.
Old 22nd November 2015, 21:21   #525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
60K SERVICE UPDATE

An excellent initiative indeed.

The only doubt I have is, since they have given you a hand-written bill and not a computer generated one, how will this service reflect on your service records?? Are they going to manually enter the details again of the jobs done and the spares changed??

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks