Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2016, 22:11   #556
Senior - BHPian

Re: The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Suzuki Swift ZDi (Torque Blue) - Michelin XM2 tyres are

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The boot light isn't Auto like the cabin lamp.

It has an On/Off switch.
Great. So even if the connector is not there, it should be simple to provide 12v to it. Right?
Old 8th January 2016, 22:46   #557
BANNED

Re: The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Suzuki Swift ZDi (Torque Blue) - Michelin XM2 tyres are

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Great. So even if the connector is not there, it should be simple to provide 12v to it. Right?
You should be able to. Found two more images that are relevant.

The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-img_20160108_222200horz.jpg

The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-img_20160108_222304.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 22:58   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Looking at the diagram, I guess the lighting is connected somehow to the dome light.
Quote:
There are many things that are possible but refused by service centers. Don't take their words as ultimate truth.
That is right, Mukesh, but they did mention that the boot light takes power from the cabin light line. That is consistent with what Anurag has found out. I haven't yet developed the kind of relations at the Maruti service centre as I have at KTM. I think I was expecting the same level of honesty from them.
Darth Sid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2016, 12:01   #559
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Anurag.

Anyone added boot light to their Swift VDi ?

There is a already a slot with removable plastic cap in place of light.

The only thing I want to know if the wiring has been provided by MSIL or do I need to pull a wire from the cabin light ?
Quote:
Thanks Anurag.

Please tell me if the boot light is auto on like cabin light when we unlock the car or open the doors.

Or you have to turn on the light with switch (on the light) ?
Mukesh, way back in 2010 when my infant daughter started to travel with us, we realised a need for an independent cabin light in the rear. This was for the WagonR.

Although the WagonR VXi had Cabin light as part of Standard Accessory (as I could notice a similar slot on the roof lining in my Lxi too), its placement was more to serve the boot area than the second row.

So, I visit one of the many MGP shops in Bangalore and they suggest me a cheap solution to install the Cabin light of the Esteem. This is because they had stock of the front Cabin Light attached with the IRVM for the WagonR and not the cabin light alone.

The Esteem's cabin light housing was available for as less as 90 INR and i readily picked it up. It had Switch positions for ON-DOOR-OFF.

The Installation:
I really wanted this second lamp to work in tandem with the primary cabin light in front. At the same time, I wanted this to work independently irrespective of what position the front light's switch was on.

Wiring:
It was pretty straightforward without much thoughts.

The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-bootlight.jpg
  • Locate a suitable position for the lamp on roof in the 2nd row area
  • Make a small cut (Squarish) on the roof lining
  • Open the Primary cabin light in the front
  • Solder 3 wires on the terminals of the Primary light for ON-DOOR-OFF
  • Pull these 3 wires from behind the roof lining to the location where you have made the cut near the second row
  • For this, I used stiffer metal string to pierce it from the cut to the opening of the roof lining in the front
  • Tied the 3 wires to this metal string and pulled it out on the other side
  • Soldered 3 wires exactly in parallel to match the associated terminals of that front cabin light (ON-DOOR-OFF)
  • Fix the second cabin light using an adhesive to the roof lining

How this works?
  • Both Lights' Switch in Door Position - When you open the door, both light up. When you close, both turn off
  • At this setting, you can still individually turn either of the Lights ON/OFF by simply using the switch on these, independently
  • Both lights' Switch in Off Position - None of them light up irrespective of the Door's position

Few Pictures from this installation done way back in 2010 (But no detailed DIY steps):

The arrangement of front and Rear Cabin lights:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-20160109_112751.jpg
Close up of the auxiliary cabin light for the second row
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-20160109_112812.jpg
In the above pic, note that there was no flat surface behind this cabin light to neatly paste this on the roof. Hence I had used a padding from the carpet material as a jugaad then.
Where exactly it is positioned:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-20160109_112941.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 19:42   #560
BANNED

Swapping to LED's on the Rear registration lights

Simple Process:
  1. Open the boot lid; open the black cover by pulling the plastic clips;
  2. There are 6 of them holding the cover;
  3. Pull the connectors powering the bulbs by pressing down on the tab located on the top;
  4. Hold the bulb holder and rotate it anti-clockwise (12-10 O' clock position) to free them from the boot lid;
  5. Pull out the OEM T10's and replace them with the Osram T10 LED's.
  6. Refit the holder and boot lid cover.

We are Done!
__________________________________________________ __

Osram LED T10/W5W
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-1.jpg

The Bulbs
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-2.jpg

Test Shot
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-7.jpg

Before (i.e OEM T10's)
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-8.jpg

After (i.e Osram T10's)
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-9.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 20:52   #561
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Swapping to LED's on the Rear registration lights
After (i.e Osram T10's)
Attachment 1463497
How much were they and from where?
Old 20th January 2016, 21:23   #562
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
How much were they and from where?
Oops, sorry! Missed adding the details in the original post. Here you go!

Brand: OSRAM
Type: LED
Bulb Type: T10 or W5W
Voltage: 12V
Wattage: 1W
Made In TAIWAN as claimed

Paid: Rs 900!

Bought from: AliExpress.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 22:32   #563
BHPian

Hi Anurag, I have been following your ownership thread long before my membership was approved. Very nicely documented report. I too had a 2012 swift zdi which I sold very recently.
So when are your getting your new car?
Old 20th January 2016, 23:16   #564
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarMaster View Post
Hi Anurag, I have been following your ownership thread long before my membership was approved. Very nicely documented report. I too had a 2012 swift zdi which I sold very recently.
So when are your getting your new car?
Hello Sir, thank you for the kind words.

Currently the odo is nearing 70K kms so the next car is another 30K kms away and it is another 9 months minimum.

Last edited by a4anurag : 20th January 2016 at 23:17.
Old 22nd January 2016, 20:27   #565
BHPian

Have you guys, heard of 'Cartisan' Car care simplified? On demand service for cars available through mobile apps.

I got one of their literature and called them up. They have got good deals for car service at site. They have quoted 2.4K for swift VDI service which includes oil change(semi synthetic), oil filter change, coolant, vehicle checkup, brake cleaning. For our swift at mandovi, each service averages to around 10K.

I got to know from them that they are a startup, with service calls taken from mobile apps.

Any advice/suggestions?
Old 23rd January 2016, 08:53   #566
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Have you guys, heard of 'Cartisan' Car care simplified? On demand service for cars available through mobile apps. For our swift at mandovi, each service averages to around 10K.
I have not heard of these guys.

Why not give it a try and will you be able to witness the servicing?
Old 2nd February 2016, 12:06   #567
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

How are the Michelin's doing ? After reading the ZLO fiasco on your thread i have dropped the idea of going for them whenever i am ready to make a change of tyres on my Car. I have shortlisted Goodyear's but am also looking at Michelin's. However my concern with Michelins is the side wall which i have heard is on the softer side and i am very prone to brushing the sidewalls whilst parking. So wanted to know if you had any issues with the same.

Thanks.
Old 2nd February 2016, 12:37   #568
BHPian

Quote:
I have not heard of these guys.

Why not give it a try and will you be able to witness the servicing?
I shall give them a try, sometime this month.

Yes, they would arrive at our location and do the service. So, would be able to witness the service.
Old 2nd February 2016, 13:02   #569
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hello,

How are the Michelin's doing ? I have shortlisted Goodyear's but am also looking at Michelin's. However my concern with Michelins is the side wall which i have heard is on the softer side and i am very prone to brushing the sidewalls whilst parking.
That's great Sumeet. After all the issues I have had pertaining to tyres, I feel it is best to stick to Michelin even if they are costly. I have learnt a hard lesson.

I have clocked almost 9K+ kms on the Michelin XM2 to now and she is performing excellently. Have done the WA, WB and Rotation twice till now and all is good.

My daily travel is a mix of good roads, Concrete roads and 'no' roads. In these 9K kms she is found pretty well with no issues in sidewall or thread. I maintain F=32 psi & R=30 psi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I shall give them a try, sometime this month.

Yes, they would arrive at our location and do the service. So, would be able to witness the service.
Cool. Please do give your feedback.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 13:46   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
However my concern with Michelins is the side wall which i have heard is on the softer side and i am very prone to brushing the sidewalls whilst parking. So wanted to know if you had any issues with the same.
I have scraped two of my wheels on my Swift, once on the makeshift bull bar of an Innova taxi and once on the edge of an angle iron staircase hard enough to chip the alloy wheels in both cases, but the XM2's only suffered surface abrasion. There was no cut, groove, fracture or any break at all on the rubber surface. Attaching a picture of the Innova's victim. The soft sidewall does affect handling though since it is more comfort oriented. Build quality is excellent too.

Going against the grain, does anyone know if we can buy gravel tyres in India? MRF exports them to Australia.
Attached Thumbnails
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-1454400954698.jpg  

Darth Sid is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks