Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2014, 23:18   #76
BANNED

Comparison between the Maruti Ritz VDi and Maruti Swift ZDi

Now that I have been living with the Blue Streak for 1 month, I want to put in a small comparison between:

The Blue Boomerang (Maruti Ritz VDi) and the Blue Streak (Maruti Swift ZDi)

I know that comparing the two isn't fair as the variants are different and the prices paid for these two were different along with the features these two contain in them. But.. I would still like to do the comparison as some buyer who is confused in the decision would have some clarity as to what car is what and their eventual difference. I shall refer these two cars in the comparison by their original names for easy understanding.

Parameters of comparison:
  1. Exterior looks
  2. Interiors look and feel
  3. Practicality
  4. Comfort & Space
  5. Features
  6. Ride & Handling
  7. Engine
  8. Fuel Efficiency
  9. Owning
  10. Final Verdict

I shall be following the 5-Point Hedonic scale for rating each parameter in this comparison:
  • 5 – Like Extremely
  • 4 – Like Moderately
  • 3 – Neither Like nor dislike
  • 2 – Dislike Moderately
  • 1 – Dislike Extremely

Disclaimer: I shall be using the pictures from the Official Test Drive & Review of the Ritz for the comparison as I don’t have one to click the pictures.

Last edited by a4anurag : 22nd January 2014 at 01:26.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 23:20   #77
BANNED

Re: Comparison between the Maruti Ritz and Maruti Swift

1) Exterior looks

Ritz VDi

Another tall boy but a well-designed subtle one that have any sharp lines which garner attention even if an on-looker isn’t interested. The small hood (tight fit engine bay) at an angle that similar to the front windscreen gives that car an aerodynamic styling. Front end is small with a lower foot print and large snout (Audi-esque). Side profile is also neat with a long front door and rather shorter rear one that has a sharp uplift upon reaching the C-Pillar. Coming to the rear end which I personally like a lot having a functional feature which I was very happy for. Why that is when it rains the droplets never used to fall on the rear wind shield as it was sloped inwards causing water not to retained obscuring vision due to lack of rear wash/wipe. The boomerang tail lamps attract my attention to suit the whole design. This car grows on you even if you hate it.

Swift ZDi

One of the most desirable cars that is on sale today with streamlined shape that looks like it is ‘ready for race’. Large headlamps coupled with smaller windscreen at a very sharp angle shout the pedigree where it was brought from (Suzuki Hayabusa). Large front doors with the window having a sharp edge over the top corner (can be used to break/grate coconuts ) and a miniature rear window that isn’t of any much use and looks disproportionate.

The point that catches my attention is the Blackening of the A & B-Pillar. This is where the Swift gets its racy characteristics which compliment it from all angles. IMO, the only car that looks beautiful with A-pillar blackened and talking about the alloys is a different story. Neatly designed with asymmetric which again is the first in the segment that was odd design but later looked great in flesh to me. Thing in the design part of Swift that puts me off is the rear bumper (enough said about it) – large and ungainly which minimizes the amount of the boot lid door size. I don’t know what Maruti was thinking when they changed the rear design for a lovely looking rear-end to a ‘bugs bunny face’ rear (where the number plate resembles the teeth of the bugs bunny).

Rating:

Ritz: 4/5
Swift: 5/5

2) Interiors

Ritz VDi

Not a Maruti type dash as it had a very upmarket feel to it. I can also say it is a simple yet useful dash layout featuring the waterfall console and dash-mounted gear lever. I feel the colour combinations (Grey & Black) used were safe for the market and catered to all the generations that used it. The advantage the Ritz has is the cubbyholes it had for storage of anything that a normal person carries which fell ergonomically in the reach of the driver. Plastics were hard but satisfactory for the price paid. There is nothing path breaking but does give the owner a large car feel when being driven or self-driven. I absolutely have no complaints regarding the interiors.

Only issue I have faced is the length of the dash which is long that did create a hindrance while cleaning and slight contribution to reflection on the windscreen on sunny days though not as bad as the Swift. Large single speedometer (including the odometer & fuel gauge) looks mini-cooper’ish with the Christmas lights surrounding the speedo. To add zing to the interiors the rev counter is placed separately and in the line of sight of the driver on the dashboard (neat thought, I must appreciate). The large windscreen and windows add to the green-house effect aiding the driver with high visibility and freeness (no congestion space wise). To me the car never gave a feel of a hatchback since the interiors were leagues ahead and especially for Maruti.

Swift ZDi

The best looking dashboards in the hatchback segment with an all-black interiors and carryover of the waterfall console. Since I have the ZDi variant that features inbuilt HU from the company and the ACC which completes the dash layout using piano-black surrounds which make the interiors feel C-Segment type. As compared to the Ritz the dash length (from the base of the windscreen till the driver) is lower than the Ritz making the feel a lesser waste of space for the front passengers. The only thing that breaks the monotony is the silver streak that runs throughout the dashboard till the end of the front doors.

Medium-hard plastics have been used all through the cars including the steering wheel horn pad. The instrumentation console gives a sporty feel inside too complementing the outside feel in addition with the orange ambient lighting used (illumination control with 7 settings provided) to gel with the car and doesn’t hit the eye.

The part I feel is the visibility which is lost in the Swift thanks to design giving a sharp decline of roofline from front to rear. This hampers visibility too but at the end of the day can be adjustable.

Rating:

Ritz: 5/5

3) Practicality

Ritz VDi

Best of the lot in the hatchbacks thanks to the tall boy stance thoughtful features provided like the split rear seats for easy loading of large materials, large doors for easy ingress/egress. A large boot with many cubby holes for storage, the driver/passengers never feel the lack of storage area in the car. Mid-size boot + split seats does the job for me. The split seats are a basic requirement in any car for easy living.

Swift ZDi

This is the parameter where the Swift loses to the Ritz as here is not much place for storage and no split seats provided. The central console has one cubbyhole along with a recess (in front of the gear lever) which is placed a bit far from the drivers reach and gear rod becoming an obstruction when trying to access the 12V DC and USB/AUX input points. The storage space above the glove box is worse as it is not deep to hold anything firmly which wasn’t the case with the Ritz. There was flat space utilized in the Ritz below the handbrake which is omitted in the Swift. Small boot + no split seats is a thumbs-down for me.

Rating:

Swift: 3/5

4) Comfort & Space

Ritz VDi

Second most comfortable hatch after the WagonR, tall boy design , high seating + good visibility and decently positioned seat (height) + steering (height) gives the driver a pain-less driving experience. Space wise also the Ritz scores over the Swift even though the Swift being 70 mm longer in wheelbase. Even with the seat adjusted to my height and comfort I could sit behind my own seat in decent comfort with my knees almost touching the seat back. The Ritz is a very ergonomic car that all controls fall in hand without stretching (only negative I feel is the lack of electrically adjustable ORVM).

Swift ZDi

Not that comfortable overall, but if being driven single then it is a pretty good one, no complaints. The rear seat is lower along with small window it makes things difficult behind. The gain of 70 mm over the Ritz on wheelbase I don’t know where has it gone as I feel the interiors are smaller than felt. I can’t sit behind the driver’s seat without poking his backbone with my knees when the seta is adjusted to my requirement.

Boot space is below average along with rear seat bench makes it fail here too.

Rating:

Swift: 3/5

5) Features

Ritz VDi

Low on features since this was the highest variant available during my purchase. Major lack I felt was the safety features along with rear wash/wipe. Other than this the car was loaded to satisfy an average customer.

Swift ZDi

A sure shot winner and not to be compared since it is the ZDi and has all the features that I dreamt off when owning the Ritz. Best features that need mention is the steering controls, temperature gauge, and rear wash/wipe.

Rating:

6) Ride & Handling

Ritz VDi

An average handler with good ride comfort for the front passengers but a bumpy ride for the rear ones (though I haven’t experienced it as I haven’t sat behind). There is some body roll at high speeds but not alarming to let off the throttle. Since my car with Bridgestone S248 (165/80 R14), I never felt the need of an upgrade as it did its job well both under high speed driving or emergency braking. For that rice point the ride and handling is well as the base of the Ritz is bought from the Swift which is the best handler from the Maruti stable.

Swift ZDi

Need I say anything?!

Rating:

7) Engine & Gearbox

Ritz VDi and Swift ZDi

The reason I have clubbed the point is that both have the same heart in a different state of tune. The 1.3 DDiS produces 75 PS of peak power and 190 Nm of peak torque but the delivery of this very power is miles apart. The Ritz was a maniac once the turbo started at 2000 rpm along with the push-back affect but the Swift has a linear delivery smoothening things out. The push-back affect is not as pronounced as the Ritz but is felt after 2000 rpm. The turbo in the Swift starts at 1500 rpm which makes drive-ability better thanks to the low turbo lag feel.

Both the gearboxes feel good to operate thanks to the short throws and sure-slotting gates. The difference that I have noticed is the lack of the vibration in the gear lever that was evident in 3rd gear in the Ritz that is not felt in any of the five gears in the Swift. Clueless as how they have managed to do so.

Rating:

8) Fuel Efficiency

Ritz VDi and Swift ZDi

Since the engine is the same the FE fissures also stand similar. I used to get 21-23 kmpl overall with 50% AC usage in the Swift and the Ritz used to be 1 kmpl lower thanks to the turbo kick that I loved and used to feel often!

From the last 4 full tanks I have been getting an FE figure of 21 kmpl and will not conclude it as he car is still new (Currently odo reads 3.1K kms)

Rating:

9) Owning

Ritz VDi

Very happy ownership in those 3 years without any glitch or un-necessary visits to the ASC. A very peaceful car to own that does its job of ferrying me around.

It was 107959 kms when the Ritz was sold, only the tyres (2nd set), brake pads (3rd set) and the intercooler (dog hit) was changed which did keep my maintenance costs down in-turn keeping my purse full.

Swift ZDi

Can’t comment much here since it is new and will update as time passes. Since the Swift is having the same underpinnings as the Ritz along with the same engine I am expecting things to be similar with the Swift too.

Rating:

Swift: 4/5

10) Final Verdict

Ritz VDi

A very understated car for a average Indian user who is not looking for frills and thrills while on the move and during parking can look at the Ritz as it is complete car now since Maruti has launched the ZDi variant which answers my requirement (safety features + rear wash/wipe). I would still recommend this car to all who are a family and need to travel in comfort; I could have bought a Ritz ZDi again but felt why to repeat the same thing so looked into the Swift.

Swift ZDi

Best driver’s car that is feature-laden along with the needed oomph backed up by the best in class engine + chassis and suspension. This car is for people who need best of the both worlds (performance + FE) without spending much. To me as an individual I see no reason to complain when looking at the Swift in the ‘Z’ variant.

Hope I have a trouble-free ownership..

Rating:

Thanks for reading this comparison, any suggestions or questions regarding the same will be entertained. Hope it helps the needy who is confused in his buying decision.

Last edited by a4anurag : 22nd January 2014 at 01:50.
a4anurag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 01:47   #78
BANNED

Re: Comparison between the Maruti Ritz and Maruti Swift

Pictorial Comparison to help matters a bit:

The front end:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-front-view-.jpg

The Rear:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-rear.jpg

Side view:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-side.jpg

Rear Quarter View:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-rear-quarter.jpg

60:40 Split Issue/lack As seen clearly the Swift doesn't have one:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-6040-seatshorz.jpg

Anti-Rattle Rubber:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-antirattle-rubber.jpg

Boot with parcel tray in place:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-boot.jpg

Whole Dashboard
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-dash-view-fullhorz.jpg

Passengers view of the dashboard (from outside):
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-dashboard.jpg

HU + A/C Controls + Gear Lever:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-dsc03969horz.jpg

Engine Bay:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-engine.jpg

Handbrake Area (L=Swift & R=Ritz):
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-handbrake.jpg

ORVM (L=Ritz & R=Swift)
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-large-orvmhorz.jpg

Rear Bench (L=Ritz & R=Swift)
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-rear-seat.jpg

Instrumentation Console (Clubbed in Swift whereas separate in Ritz)
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-speedo.jpg

Tweeters (L= Swift & R =Ritz)
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-tweeters.jpg

Wheels (L= Swift & R =Ritz)
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-wheels.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 14:05   #79
BHPian

re: The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Suzuki Swift ZDi (Torque Blue) - 30K kms up!

Hi Anurag,

Great comparison, thanks for sharing.

One thing that you didn't cover that I would like to know about is how the NVH stacks up. Especially the engine noise heard within the car.
Old 22nd January 2014, 23:49   #80
BANNED

re: The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Suzuki Swift ZDi (Torque Blue) - 30K kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Hi Anurag,

Great comparison, thanks for sharing.

One thing that you didn't cover that I would like to know about is how the NVH stacks up. Especially the engine noise heard within the car.
Ah!

NVH!

I feel the Ritz was more louder on the inside once the speeds were above 120 kmph but between 80-100 kmph it was low humming which is not the case for the Swift.

I have touched 120 kmph and had to look at the speedometer to believe the speed. It is super silent on highway speeds and city without playing music. NVH has been controlled very well for the Swift in spite having the "noisy MRF ZVTV's".

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 13:40   #81
Senior - BHPian

Excellent comparo, Anurag! Just the one I was looking for. Other than an owner, nobody can give such fine details.

The only point where I'd like to differ with you are on exterior looks. You've given 4/5 for Ritz, but I'd give it 1/5, as I simply detest its rear and side profile. If you look at the rear of the Beat, it looks so well-synced, but the Ritz is simply awful. A cousing of mine sold his Ritz after hearing bad comments from most of his kith and kin!

As regards NVH, is the Swift better insulated? I guess you might not have driven it over 120 kmph to give a better picture.

Last edited by vnabhi : 23rd January 2014 at 13:42.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 14:51   #82
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Excellent comparo, Anurag! Just the one I was looking for. Other than an owner, nobody can give such fine details.
Thank you Venu sir for the comments and I'm happy you liked it.

Quote:
The only point where I'd like to differ with you are on exterior looks. You've given 4/5 for Ritz, but I'd give it 1/5, as I simply detest its rear and side profile.
Looks are a personal criteria so not much can be rated here. But I respect thy opinion. The rear hatch door design is a deal breaker for many. If that is improved then the Ritz too can sell well, IMO.

Quote:
As regards NVH, is the Swift better insulated? I guess you might not have driven it over 120 kmph to give a better picture.
I have taken the car upto 135 kmph - it was a touch and go types, didn't hold it at that speed but it was not as loud as the Ritz (without music).

They surely have improved over the Ritz.

Last edited by a4anurag : 23rd January 2014 at 14:57.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:03   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
...I feel the Ritz was more louder on the inside once the speeds were above 120 kmph but between 80-100 kmph it was low humming which is not the case for the Swift.

I have touched 120 kmph and had to look at the speedometer to believe the speed. It is super silent on highway speeds and city without playing music. NVH has been controlled very well for the Swift in spite having the "noisy MRF ZVTV's"....
Quote:
...As regards NVH, is the Swift better insulated? I guess you might not have driven it over 120 kmph to give a better picture.
Quote:
...I have taken the car upto 135 kmph - it was a touch and go types, didn't hold it at that speed but it was not as loud as the Ritz (without music).

They surely have improved over the Ritz.
I am quite surprised at the comment (NOT that I do NOT believe you ). Because in the official review, there was the comment on the thin windows allowing a lot of traffic noise filtering into the cabin.

I know the new engine is a lot more refined, but low tyre noise inside the cabin is also a surprise for me; especially for a budget MRF.
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:05   #84
Senior - BHPian

I also don't find a lot of noise filtering in when compared to my Polo D. Couple that with a superbly refined engine and Michelin PLC's,I don't have to raise my voice to speak to co-passengers even at 3 digit speeds.

What I fond strange is, truck engine noise,Volvo engine noise filters in way too much and I feel like its coming from the boot area! Does this happen with your car too ?
Old 23rd January 2014, 17:56   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I also don't find a lot of noise filtering in when compared to my Polo D. Couple that with a superbly refined engine and Michelin PLC's,I don't have to raise my voice to speak to co-passengers even at 3 digit speeds.

What I fond strange is, truck engine noise,Volvo engine noise filters in way too much and I feel like its coming from the boot area! Does this happen with your car too ?
No matter what tyres you run the polo on, I have never found the Polo or Fabia to be very silent especially the 1.2 diesel. At three digit speeds they start sounding awful because of that unnatural 3 cylinder noise filtering into the cabin. The Swift D is the best tune of the 1.3 MJD in India and is really refined on my friend's swift shod in yokos, the cabin noise is pretty decent. I do admit the polo/fabia blocks out traffic sounds more, but I would still take the Swift on an empty highway

Last edited by IshaanIan : 23rd January 2014 at 17:58.
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:33   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
No matter what tyres you run the polo on, I have never found the Polo or Fabia to be very silent especially the 1.2 diesel. At three digit speeds they start sounding awful because of that unnatural 3 cylinder noise filtering into the cabin.
You didn't read my post,did you ?

Quote:
I was saying compared to the Polo, not a lot of traffic noise filters in and since the Swift is shod with PLC's, even at 3 digit speeds its very silent!
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 22:37   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Thank you explaining it offline, now to clear you doubt,

I love that sound of the engine when they accelerate so I keep hearing that noise regularly,

I am not complaining though but on comfort point of view, Yes the sound is heard higher specially for the Tata Marcopolo buses that are AT buses with rear engine that make a havoc when start from 0.

---------------------------------------------------

As I have bought a tyre pressure gauge recently so wanted to check the air pressure just after a top-up;

I fill in F= 32 psi & R=30 psi

The monitor at the fuel station was F= 32 & R=30 but my gauge was F=32 & R=~29 as the gauge shows '28' and '30', needle was in between.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 10:35   #88
BHPian

Hey guys,
Im new to team bhp but i have been following this thread from the past few days. U recently acquired my dad's swift zdi and immediately found a problem.
The a/c unit suddenly shuts off and the mode also keeps changing at random moments.
Any help to this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd February 2014, 16:46   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayush1434 View Post
U recently acquired my dad's swift zdi and immediately found a problem. The a/c unit suddenly shuts off and the mode also keeps changing at random moments.
Any help to this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sorry Ayush for the late reply as I didn't get any notification of your post.

Seems to be lose contact our some such problem. How frequent is the problem and happens only while driving on rough roads or only on idle?

Anurag.
Old 3rd February 2014, 17:08   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Seems to be lose contact our some such problem. How frequent is the problem and happens only while driving on rough roads or only on idle?
Anurag.
It is not that frequent. Just happens randomly. Should i be worried about this problem?
The car is due for maintenance and I am going to inform the authorities about this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks