Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2015, 01:10   #436
BHPian

I think a tyre with uneven rubber distribution would behave in a manner similar to a wheel that needs balancing. How would an unbalanced wheel behave?
Old 1st November 2015, 01:33   #437
Team-BHP Support

re: The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold

He can't admit it's an issue with the pattern. That would have many side effects with other dealers and customers taking them to task over such issues. Mostly they'll try to play it down as a manufacturing defect.

Fingers crossed you'll get your replacement on Monday.
Old 1st November 2015, 10:41   #438
Team-BHP Support

re: The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold

I'm guessing you have confirmed that the wheel bearings are fine. Although wheel bearings will result in continuous humming and even more as speeds increase.

Second point to mention is the humming only at speeds between 40-55kmph. This automatically removes the tyres from the equation. Well in a way it is the tyres that are causing the noise but only because the tyre and car combination are causing it.

As learnt in physics, the cause of the humming is resonance. It appears that between 40-55kmph the tyre roar matches with the natural frequency and causes resonance. This results in the humming sound in the cabin.

You can try another set of ZLO tyres and for all you know the sound might subside as that particular set might have some manufacturing variance that will cause the natural frequency to be different thereby eliminating the humm. On the other hand it might just be the same if MRF has tight tolerance.

You might be lucky to get it under warranty and see if it fixes the issue.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 10:54   #439
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Mostly they'll try to play it down as a manufacturing defect.

Fingers crossed you'll get your replacement on Monday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
You can try another set of ZLO tyres and

I guess that's the route they'll go through - Manufacturing Defect, easiest and best. Hope the newer set too doesn't have this humming issue.

If it does then, I'm in a fix what to do. Will ask them for 100% cash back and then go ahead and get Michelin XM2 on 185/65 R15.

Any points or things I need to keep in mind during the whole inspection tomorrow so that I win the battle?!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 11:29   #440
BHPian

Quote:
It appears that between 40-55kmph the tyre roar matches with the natural frequency and causes resonance.

My thoughts are the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I guess that's the route they'll go through - Manufacturing Defect, easiest and best. Hope the newer set too doesn't have this humming issue.

If it does then, I'm in a fix what to do. Will ask them for 100% cash back and then go ahead and get Michelin XM2 on 185/65 R15.

Any points or things I need to keep in mind during the whole inspection tomorrow so that I win the battle?!
If the new set doesn't have the humming issue, you are in luck. If it does, I wonder if you could put up with the noise. If you do get cashback, which is unlikely, you could go for the XM2 in 195/60R15. Maybe that will be a better choice. The XM2 has three grooves in width 195 upwards.
Old 1st November 2015, 11:50   #441
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Second point to mention is the humming only at speeds between 40-55kmph. This automatically removes the tyres from the equation. Well in a way it is the tyres that are causing the noise but only because the tyre and car combination are causing it.
There are multiple such complaints in the original ZLO thread. I particularly remember this because this was the only reason I didn't go for the MRF, when they seemed like pure value for money in other terms. Apologies for not cross posting since I'm browsing from mobile.

The humming sound increases quite a lot when taking concrete roads, if I remember that thread correctly.

Anurag: Are you testing the tyres on concrete roads?
Old 1st November 2015, 12:29   #442
BANNED

Quote:
The humming sound increases quite a lot when taking concrete roads, if I remember that thread correctly.

Anurag: Are you testing the tyres on concrete roads?
Humming noise is clearly evident over concrete roads and the tyre noise is more too but not as bad as MRF ZVTV. I have 18 kms of concrete roads stretch where I go everyday.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 22:31   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
My thoughts are the same.
If you do get cashback, which is unlikely, you could go for the XM2 in 195/60R15. Maybe that will be a better choice. The XM2 has three grooves in width 195 upwards.
+1 to that. I regret moving back from 195/60 R15 Yoko A drive to 185/65 15 XM2 from a road grip perspective. Corners were more comfortable with 195/60. Also would suggest that you skip XM2 and go with Primacy 3T instead.
Old 1st November 2015, 23:19   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
+1 to that. I regret moving back from 195/60 R15 Yoko A drive to 185/65 15 XM2 from a road grip perspective. Corners were more comfortable with 195/60. Also would suggest that you skip XM2 and go with Primacy 3T instead.
The A-drive was a good tyre. My friend has the same tyre and same size still on his old Swift and the character of car is quite good. The XM2 in any case has a more rounded tread so it is not surprising that it would have less grip. In any case after getting used to 195 section, downgrading would be quite discomforting.
Old 2nd November 2015, 20:21   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought if there is uneven distribution, there must be a bumpy ride or tyre jumping at higher speeds. Am I right?

Yes, Monday is the D-Day for MRF!
Any update on the tyre issue. I will be looking at the ZLO' as replacement for my Civic's Bridgsetone and was waiting for your feedback from MRF regarding the humming sound because even my Turanzas make a loud humming sound on certain surfaces.
Old 3rd November 2015, 09:46   #446
BANNED

HUMMING NOISE UPDATE:

Few Details:

Tyres bought from: M G Tyres, Ranigunj (Exclusive Dealer for MRF)
Tyres Bought on: 11.09.2015
ODO at time of tyre swap: 54,510 kms
Current ODO: 59,620kms
Distance travelled till date: 5,110 kms.

Tyre pressures maintained:

Front: 34 psi
Rear: 32 psi

WA, WB and Rotation: Done every 5,000 kms religiously.
__________________________________________________ ______

Reached MRF T & S, Medchal at 16:30 where I met the Technical Executive Mr Somu. I explained the problem to this guy and instantly we got down to work on the issue.

He checked all the 4 tyres for thread depth and all grooves in every single tyre to check for wear signs - OUTCOME: All OK and no abnormal wear with even thread depth.

Test Drive No.: 1

We went for a 5 kms drive where the MRF representative drove the car.

OUTCOME: The humming noise still heard between 40 - 50 kmph.

Returned to the T&S centre where the front tyres were checked for air pressure and found to be 34 psi. The next step was as he instructed the boys to remove the front wheels and check for balancing. Both the wheels took in 10 grams weights respectively. Added the weights, rechecked the air pressure and refit them in the same place. Went for another drive (I was driving).

Test Drive No.: 2

Post balancing of the front wheels, we took a 15 kms TD but the humming noise was still heard. Returned to the T&S Centre and he instructed them swap the front tyres i.e. FL was put to FR and FR tyre to be put in place of FL. Went for another drive (I was driving).

OUTCOME: Humming noise still heard between 40 - 50 kmph.

Test Drive No.: 3

After the drive post tyre swap, we returned to the T&S Centre and he again instructed them to swap tyres by putting rear wheels to the front and vice-versa. i.e., Front right goes to rear right & Front left goes to rear left. Went for another TD (I was driving).

OUTCOME: Humming noise is still heard.

For all of this it took us 3 hours. It was 19:00 and the TE was tired and getting mad at the issue with no solution from his end.

After the TD we headed back to the T&S Centre.

MRF Representative (MRF TE): Sir, I cannot hear any tyre noise after we swapped tyres from front to rear and vice-versa.

ME: Sorry but it is clearly evident and heard. Not sure what is making you tell that it is not the humming noise that is coming from the beginning which you agreed to.

MRF TE: No Sir, that is NOT the tyre noise and it is "SOMETHING ELSE". I am 100% confident that my tyres are excellent and noise free.

ME: So are you pointing out at the wheel bearing noise? I then asked the boys at T&S centre to check and show it to him that the bearing are good. They checked it and certified that the bearings are in good condition.

ME: What is your take now?

MRF TE: I am not sure what you talking Sir, it is NOT tyre noise. Please change your mindset and come out of the cocoon thinking that it is tyre noise. It has engraved in your head that it is tyre noise.

ME: I lose my patience here and ask him what he wants me to do finally?

MRF TE: It is up to you Sir. How can I say anything. As per my analysis everything is good and noise free.

ME: Speak to your boss and see if you can arrange for another set of Z.L.O's where they will be put in place of these and tested. If there is humming noise then the tyres are to blamed.

MRF TE: No Sir, we can't do that and there is no such possibility.

ME: Looking at him, I bid him a bye and leave!

Conclusion: No solution from MRF's end as according to them there is no noise at all and the tyres are perfect. He leaves all smiling.
__________________________________________________ __________

Details of the Tyre as noted down by the MRF TE:

Front Left: 2815 - DOT 7RV9MLO ZLL 29683 (Mould number) - 7 mm depth.

Front Right: 2815 - DOT 7RV9MLO ZLL 29684 (Mould number) - 7 mm depth.

Rear Left: 2815 - DOT 7RV9MLO ZLL 29682 (Mould number) - 7 mm depth.

Rear Right: 2815 - DOT 7RV9MLO ZLL 29683 (Mould number) - 7 mm depth.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Attaching some pictures and a Recording:

Blue Streak at MRF T&S Centre:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-img_20151102_163749.jpg

Details written down by the MRF TE:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-img_20151102_205849.jpg

After all the testing, the wheels were opened and re-fit multiple times so after the case was closed by the MRF TE, I decided to get the WA & WB done. Was charged 500 bucks in total. Since only two wheels were balanced during the trial, I felt leaving it like that and driving around won't be good hence went and got the rest 2 tyres balanced and all tyres aligned.

WA & WB Job Card:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-img_20151102_205755.jpg

Wheel Alignment figures:
The story of a Blue Streak a.k.a Maruti Swift ZDi (Torque Blue). 1,20,000 km up & now sold-img_20151103_081803vert.jpg

Anything wrong with the figures or any comments on the figures - Analysis to help me understand how it looks before and After?!

Quote:
Mostly they'll try to play it down as a manufacturing defect.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
If the new set doesn't have the humming issue, you are in luck. If it does, I wonder if you could put up with the noise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
+1 to that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Any update on the tyre issue.
I am not sure but honestly I'll stay clear from this set of tyres not because I haven't got any solution from MRF but I don't want anyone else to suffer. They are good but for this humming noise. I am NOT able to a deaf ear and drive around as the sound gets irritating and heartbreaking. Spent close to 18K and went ahead by taking a risk by choosing an MRF. I am mistaken and feel I should have chosen Conti's or Michelin's or Yoko's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Okk .. that looks better than outright rejection from MRF I read about somewhere about similar issue. They are possibly taking this problem more seriously now, hopefully should acknowledge it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Record_0003.zip (587.3 KB, 160 views)

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd November 2015 at 10:36. Reason: Correcting typo.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 10:11   #447
BHPian

Quote:
HUMMING NOISE UPDATE:

Few Details:

I am not sure but honestly I'll stay clear from this set of tyres not because I haven't got any solution from MRF but I don't want anyone else to suffer. They are good but for this humming noise. I am NOT able to a deaf ear and drive around as the sound gets irritating and heartbreaking. Spent close to 18K and went ahead by taking a risk by choosing an MRF. I am mistaken and feel I should have chosen Conti's or Michelin's or Yoko's.
Thanks for the detail and informative post. MRF/Jk or lets say Indian Tyre OEMs are known for the road noise, of all JK is the worst. Indian Tyre OEMs use hard compound for manufacturing tyres, which suits the Indian road conditions but the result in road noise.

I have been living with JK tyre , but some times swopping the rear tyres with front does really help at times.

Last edited by amitpunjani : 3rd November 2015 at 10:12. Reason: Typo
Old 3rd November 2015, 10:14   #448
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Thanks for the detail and informative post. MRF/Jk or lets say Indian Tyre OEMs are known for the road noise, of all JK is the worst. Indian Tyre OEMs use hard compound for manufacturing tyres, which suits the Indian road conditions but the result in road noise.

I have been living with JK tyre, but some times swapping the rear tyres with front does really help at times.
I agree and I have suffered with MRF ZVTV for 54K kms but when it was time to change, I took the risk bearing good reviews on these tyres in spite being an 'MRF'. I thought it will be a sea of change from the ZVTV but I was highly mistaken - An irreversible mistake!

Shall live with it and I am planning to visit a couple of tyre dealers to see what is the buyback price per tyre that I'll get.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 10:29   #449
BHPian

Quote:
I agree and I have suffered with MRF ZVTV for 54K kms but when it was time to change, I took the risk bearing good reviews on these tyres in spite being an 'MRF'. I thought it will be a sea of change from the ZVTV but I was highly mistaken - An irreversible mistake!

Shall live with it and I am planning to visit a couple of tyre dealers to see what is the buyback price per tyre that I'll get.
Anurag,

Bridgestone is THE best tyre suited for Indian roads, road noise is very less almost at par with Michelin. Bridgestone Tyres are bit expensive when compared to JK/MRF/Apollos of the world, but worth the price, in terms of durability & road noise, after all Japanese Engineering.
Old 3rd November 2015, 11:19   #450
BHPian

Anurag, I just heard the recording and it sounded like tyre noise made by trucks passing by some distance away. It is really sad that the MRF guys didn't give you a solution. Now, I think you really should see if you can do an experiment by taking a test drive in your car running on another Swift's wheels. Don't you know anyone who could help you with that? Doesn't matter if they are 14 inchers, you just need to remove this variable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks