Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2014, 06:21   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 Crystal Black Pearl Honda City VX-D - A new member in the family

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Thanks for clearing my doubt and if seen practically, the need for cruise control is stupid below 40 kmph. Makes sense above 70 kmph.

Does the cruise control linked to gearing? I mean 4th gear @ 60 kmph will ork or does it need the top gear?

I guess the cruise control is more of speed linked?

Anurag.
As per manual its only speed linked.
The SA claimed that it works only in top gear. Now we know it works as per manual.
Old 18th March 2014, 08:36   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Thanks for clearing my doubt and if seen practically, the need for cruise control is stupid below 40 kmph. Makes sense above 70 kmph.

Does the cruise control linked to gearing? I mean 4th gear @ 60 kmph will ork or does it need the top gear?

I guess the cruise control is more of speed linked?

Anurag.
Cruise Control is always independent of the gear the car is in. It is speed and only speed it is linked to.

Any external actions to brake, clutch or accelerator however cancels the effect of cruise control
Old 21st March 2014, 00:09   #123
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

The cruise control is definitely independent of the gears.

I drove the City at 45 kph in the 3rd gear with cruise control on and voila it worked. I braked, the speed came down to a mere 30 kph, I hit resume and it accelerated quickly back to 45 kph.

However at such low speeds the usage of cruise control isn't justified but yes on an open highway at 70-80 kph it makes perfect sense when the road is clear and one wishes to rest his right foot for a while.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 06:43   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
The cruise control is definitely independent of the gears.

I drove the City at 45 kph in the 3rd gear with cruise control on and voila it worked. I braked, the speed came down to a mere 30 kph, I hit resume and it accelerated quickly back to 45 kph.

However at such low speeds the usage of cruise control isn't justified but yes on an open highway at 70-80 kph it makes perfect sense when the road is clear and one wishes to rest his right foot for a while.

Can you provide the exact steps that you follow. I have had difficulty in activating it at the lower gears and even in higher gears I have to repeat the procedure sometimes to get it ON.

Here is what I follow:
1. Hit the Cruise Main Button
2. Accelerate and use +
3. Take the foot off the accelerator and hit Set Button.

Now when I do this, the Cruise does not ALWAYS turn on. I sometimes have to repeat this procedure to get it on. Am I missing something?
Old 21st March 2014, 07:24   #125
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Here is what I follow:
2. Accelerate and use +
I haven't driven any car with cruise control but as my knowledge in step 3 you must keep the throttle pedal constant till the cruise control is set at the speed you want only after that I guess you can release the throttle pedal.

Anurag.
Old 21st March 2014, 07:57   #126
BHPian

Quote:

Can you provide the exact steps that you follow. I have had difficulty in activating it at the lower gears and even in higher gears I have to repeat the procedure sometimes to get it ON.

Here is what I follow:
2. Accelerate and use +

Now when I do this, the Cruise does not ALWAYS turn on. I sometimes have to repeat this procedure to get it on. Am I missing something?
I've driven cruise control cars earlier and see if this works:
There are a total of 4 buttons:
- Cruise Control Main button
- Set/'-' button
- Resume/'+' button
- Cancel button

To use Cruise Control:
- Click on Cruise Control Main Button
- Once you hit desired speed, click on the " Set/'-' " button (the throttle should be pressed here I beleive but you can experiment)
- This will activate cruise control system at that speed and you should be good now
- Use the " Set/'-' " OR " Resume/'+' " button to decelerate or accelerate respectively
- Hit Cancel button to deactivate the Cruise Control system (this is for temporary use and similar to applying brakes)
- If you Hit the brake, when car is cruising, the system will be deactivated.
- Hit the " Resume/'+' " button to reactivate Cruise control system and set it to the earlier speed automatically (I'm not 100% sure, which speed it would resume to here but should be the one you were cruising when you hit the brakes)

I found this video which might be useful as well (pretty much covers what I explained above) :

Last edited by neel911 : 21st March 2014 at 07:59.
neel911 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 08:31   #127
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Here is what I follow:
2. Accelerate and use +

Exactly what neel911 says.

The steps I follow:

1. Hit the "Cruise" main button.
2. Go above 40-45 kph or any desired speed, hit the "Set" button. The cruise is on now. Remove your foot from the accelerator.
3. Hit brake. Let the speed come down considerably. No need to accelerate now. just hit "Resume" button and the car whooshes forward with Usain Bolt like agility.
4. Increase or decrease the speeds by using the "+" or "-" buttons as needed.
5. To stop cruise, first press the "Cancel" button and then the "Cruise" main button again.

Happy cruising
//M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 13:53   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly what neel911 says.

The steps I follow:

1. Hit the "Cruise" main button.
2. Go above 40-45 kph or any desired speed, hit the "Set" button. The cruise is on now. Remove your foot from the accelerator.
3. Hit brake. Let the speed come down considerably. No need to accelerate now. just hit "Resume" button and the car whooshes forward with Usain Bolt like agility.
4. Increase or decrease the speeds by using the "+" or "-" buttons as needed.
5. To stop cruise, first press the "Cancel" button and then the "Cruise" main button again.

Happy cruising
I guess I was doing Step 2 incorrectly - let me test later today and revert on my results.
Old 21st March 2014, 15:07   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
I've driven cruise control cars earlier and see if this works:
There are a total of 4 buttons:
- Cruise Control Main button
- Set/'-' button
- Resume/'+' button
- Cancel button

To use Cruise Control:
- Click on Cruise Control Main Button
- Once you hit desired speed, click on the " Set/'-' " button (the throttle should be pressed here I beleive but you can experiment)
- This will activate cruise control system at that speed and you should be good now
- Use the " Set/'-' " OR " Resume/'+' " button to decelerate or accelerate respectively
- Hit Cancel button to deactivate the Cruise Control system (this is for temporary use and similar to applying brakes)
- If you Hit the brake, when car is cruising, the system will be deactivated.
- Hit the " Resume/'+' " button to reactivate Cruise control system and set it to the earlier speed automatically (I'm not 100% sure, which speed it would resume to here but should be the one you were cruising when you hit the brakes)
This is correct. I have driven cruise control cars for many years. These instructions are spot on!
Old 21st March 2014, 17:50   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Happy cruising
Perfectly summarized.
Just adding on the 'resume' part in case if it helps.
Once resume is pressed, remember that the car will try to reach the earlier set cruising speed at 'whatever cost', or as M mentioned, Usain Boltish way .

This would mean that, if the cruise speed is set as 85kmph and you had to brake and get it to 40kmph and then later simply press resume, the City will try to reach 85kmph from 40kmph, by just going full throttle. If this is not anticipated, it can get the driver unsettled.

What we normally do is, if cruise is deactivated and the car reached a much lower speed, will accelerate manually to a 'closer to cruise speed', (in the above example, lets say 80kmph), and then will press resume.

Similarly, we need to be careful while using the cruise on up-down ghat type roads. Once the car starts climbing, it will try to throttle up to maintain the speed, which might not be the ideal action.

Quote:
Or, we can directly switch off the main button. The reason for this button is to 'temporarily' suspend the cruise. The switching on and off of main button will erase the earlier set cruise conditions.
sarathlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2014, 18:47   #131
BHPian

//M,
Since you haven't changed the stock tyres, I wanted to ask you what pressure you maintain on them. As per my SA's recommendation, I maintain 33Psi at the front and 30 at the rear but I feel that the ride could be better with some changes.
Old 22nd March 2014, 23:12   #132
BHPian

//M,

I had a question on the way illuminated scuff plates work.
What I'm seeing is that when I open the passenger front left door, the illuminated scuff plates on the front passenger side does not lit up. However when I open the driver side door, both the front scuff plates gets illuminated. Is this the way how it is supposed to work? I would ideally imagine that the individual stuff plates illumination should be tied to the opening of the door where they are attached.
Old 23rd March 2014, 06:54   #133
BANNED

Quote:
//M,

What I'm seeing is that when I open the passenger front left door, the illuminated scuff plates on the front passenger side does not lit up. However when I open the driver side door, both the front scuff plates gets illuminated. Is this the way how it is supposed to work? I would ideally imagine that the individual stuff plates illumination should be tied to the opening of the door where they are attached.
The scuff plates should have connections to their own door open sensor and not linked to the main connection (i.e drivers door).

I don't think it will take much time and you can get it done at Honda itself.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 09:40   #134
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
//M,

The scuff plates on either sides lit up independent of each other. Below are some pics of the City's front passenger side scuff plates illuminated while the driver's door is closed and the passenger door is open.
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Crystal Black Pearl Honda City VX-D - A new member in the family-dsc01456.jpg  

2014 Crystal Black Pearl Honda City VX-D - A new member in the family-dsc01460.jpg  

2014 Crystal Black Pearl Honda City VX-D - A new member in the family-dsc01466.jpg  

Last edited by //M : 23rd March 2014 at 09:49.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 11:27   #135
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
//M,
Since you haven't changed the stock tyres, I wanted to ask you what pressure you maintain on them. As per my SA's recommendation, I maintain 33Psi at the front and 30 at the rear but I feel that the ride could be better with some changes.
I am using 32 PSI on all four tyres.

What is the reason for 33 psi in the front and 30 psi in the rear tyres considering that all four tyres are of the same size, 175/65 R15? Is it due to the engine weight that 33 psi is recommended on the front wheels and less on the rear wheels? Or is there some other technical reason? Kindly let me know so that I can also correct my City's tyre pressures accordingly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks