Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2014, 19:48   #61
BANNED

Re: A DDiS love affair: My Maruti Swift VDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran_Tourer View Post
The fuel tank capacity for the new Swift is 42L (can't get the capacity for the old one though!).
IIRC, the fuel tank capacity is same for the older model too and I fill fuel only till auto-cutoff so the quantity I get is between 36-38L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran_Tourer View Post
I thought this Italian-tune-up is revving the engine to the limits in neutral.

Are you sure, that the vehicle should be driven in each gear in this?
I am sure that it is on all gears. Standing still and revving the engine nuts will create more harm than cleaning up the engine as the temperature will rise and no air to cool the engine but if the tune-up is done on the move the air flowing will help dissipate heat.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 20:34   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
IIRC, the fuel tank capacity is same for the older model too and I fill fuel only till auto-cutoff so the quantity I get is between 36-38L.

I am sure that it is on all gears. Standing still and revving the engine nuts will create more harm than cleaning up the engine as the temperature will rise and no air to cool the engine but if the tune-up is done on the move the air flowing will help dissipate heat.

Anurag.
If that is the case then capacity is same for both generations! Still, the question of many people getting a range of 400 kms on a full tank sounds fishy. Ain't it?

I completely agree on the heat dissipation part which will be absent in a stationary car.It was just that I read somewhere and it sounded like as if this is to be done in neutral,hence the doubt. Anyways, thanks for clarification Anurag!!
Old 22nd May 2014, 01:50   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Till date I haven't got a FE below 21 kmpl with 60% highway and 40% mad village traffic on broken patches of road. The average range is 700-710 kms on a full tank (auto cut-off).

Anurag.
I dont know how you manage to get 700kms on a tank full. I have never managed to get more than 580kms ever. I have a fuel log kept since the day my Swift Vdi was bought (new gen dec 2011 bought). Driving sedately, following all possible rules mentioned in the forum, never lugged the engine, always shift on 1800-2100 rpm, serviced on time. After consciously driving in the last 3 full tanks, it finally touched 600 kms mark. Even then it seems to be less.

:( Looks like ive got a lemon.

Friends 3 months old swift is giving around 750kms on a tank full since day 1.

Edit: on the contrary i get better mileage wen im driving above the average speed i.e 120-150 on a highway.

Last edited by livyodream : 22nd May 2014 at 01:52.
Old 22nd May 2014, 12:34   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
I dont know how you manage to get 700kms on a tank full. I have never managed to get more than 580kms ever. I have a fuel log kept since the day my Swift Vdi was bought (new gen dec 2011 bought). Driving sedately, following all possible rules mentioned in the forum, never lugged the engine, always shift on 1800-2100 rpm, serviced on time. After consciously driving in the last 3 full tanks, it finally touched 600 kms mark. Even then it seems to be less...
The tank range depends on the traffic conditions. Even when we say City & Bangalore (where you drive), each of us may be driving at different times (even if it's the same stretch). I, for one used to drive during non-peak times (7 AM in the morning & 4.30-5 PM in the evening) in Bangalore and used to get 16-18 kmpl -- 16 when I play English songs & 18 when I play melodious tracks. In city, contrary to popular opinion, I used to shift gears based on speed (and NOT rpm) at ~1200 or so. I always made sure I do NOT lug the engine though.

On the highway, I used to manage 23 kmpl (with me alone and a bit of luggage) with ~500 kms of beautiful roads. I twice managed 25 kmpl when I tried 80-90 kmph thru out (with A/C). So I believe this is quite possible. All these with 185 70 R14 tyres instead of the 165 80 R14 tyres on VDi

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd May 2014 at 12:36.
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:49   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
I dont know how you manage to get 700kms on a tank full. I have never managed to get more than 580kms ever. I have a fuel log kept since the day my Swift Vdi was bought (new gen dec 2011 bought). Driving sedately, following all possible rules mentioned in the forum, never lugged the engine, always shift on 1800-2100 rpm, serviced on time. After consciously driving in the last 3 full tanks, it finally touched 600 kms mark. Even then it seems to be less.

:( Looks like ive got a lemon.

Friends 3 months old swift is giving around 750kms on a tank full since day 1.

Edit: on the contrary i get better mileage wen im driving above the average speed i.e 120-150 on a highway.
600 kms is a respectable figure in city driving!! You certainly don't have a lemon friend!

We got a range of 800 kms on a single highway trip. It was Delhi - Binsar Valley - Delhi. 200 kms of ghat section with 4 people and full luggage. AC usage was about 60%. Average speed would be close to 70 km/hr.

Sedate driving and light right foot are indeed the key ingredients for a terrific FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The tank range depends on the traffic conditions. Even when we say City & Bangalore (where you drive), each of us may be driving at different times (even if it's the same stretch). I, for one used to drive during non-peak times (7 AM in the morning & 4.30-5 PM in the evening) in Bangalore and used to get 16-18 kmpl -- 16 when I play English songs & 18 when I play melodious tracks. In city, contrary to popular opinion, I used to shift gears based on speed (and NOT rpm) at ~1200 or so. I always made sure I do NOT lug the engine though.

On the highway, I used to manage 23 kmpl (with me alone and a bit of luggage) with ~500 kms of beautiful roads. I twice managed 25 kmpl when I tried 80-90 kmph thru out (with A/C). So I believe this is quite possible. All these with 185 70 R14 tyres instead of the 165 80 R14 tyres on VDi
Hey swiftnfurious,

Your English and melodious track differentitaion was hilarious and can be very naturally related to!!

Again, your mileage figures prove testimony to how frugal this MJD unit can be!
Gran_Tourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 13:25   #66
BHPian

Hey guys,

I tanked up again, and this time, I got a fuel economy of 13.47kmpl. I rode about 426kms on 31.62L of fuel, of which around 120kms were highway driving. I also tried out the Italian tune up but I do not think there is any change.

I am truly stumped on why my car is returning such low figures. Lokesh only suggested a timing belt change when I took the car to him then. I haven't gotten a chance to go again.

Unfortunately, I don't spending another bomb on another service is worth while, esp since fuel efficiency doesn't seem to be improving. My folks are telling me to sell the car and buy a new one, although I'm still in love with my DDiS and I cant think of changing her. Although, with the way I'm spending now, it will be cheaper in the long run to invest in a new car, something that I cannot ignore for long. :(
Old 28th May 2014, 13:28   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
Hey guys,

I tanked up again, and this time, I got a fuel economy of 13.47kmpl. I rode about 426kms on 31.62L of fuel, of which around 120kms were highway driving. I also tried out the Italian tune up but I do not think there is any change.

I am truly stumped on why my car is returning such low figures. Lokesh only suggested a timing belt change when I took the car to him then. I haven't gotten a chance to go again.
I don't know whether it is correct or no but why don't you try plugging another Swift's (same model as yours) ECU and drive around. Even after so much trial FE is not improving then may the brain of the car isn't working. May Be! Just a thought.

Anurag.
Old 28th May 2014, 13:43   #68
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know whether it is correct or no but why don't you try plugging another Swift's (same model as yours) ECU and drive around. Even after so much trial FE is not improving then may the brain of the car isn't working. May Be! Just a thought.

Anurag.
Hey Anurag,

That is worth a shot. Do you have any suggestions on where I can source an ECU? Would MASS be able to help? Unfortunately, I do not have any friends here in B'lore who own the same model swift. :(
Old 28th May 2014, 13:56   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Hey Anurag,

That is worth a shot. Do you have any suggestions on where I can source an ECU? Would MASS be able to help? Unfortunately, I do not have any friends here in B'lore who own the same model swift. :(
When was the EGR, MAF cleaned last?

I am only suspecting the ECU but could be wrong, at least the error codes if stored will be cleared.

Sent you a PM, check.

Anurag.
Old 28th May 2014, 14:31   #70
BHPian

Quote:
When was the EGR, MAF cleaned last?

I am only suspecting the ECU but could be wrong, at least the error codes if stored will be cleared.

Sent you a PM, check.

Anurag.
Hey man,

EGR was cleaned on the 25th of February this year. What is MAF?

I'll see what I can do about getting the ECU checked out. Hopefully, this will get resolved soon. If it doesn't, I'll be forced to make the switch to another car. *sigh*
Old 28th May 2014, 14:48   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Hey man,

EGR was cleaned on the 25th of February this year. What is MAF?

I'll see what I can do about getting the ECU checked out. Hopefully, this will get resolved soon. If it doesn't, I'll be forced to make the switch to another car. *sigh*
MAF is Mass Air Flow Sensor:

Quote:
The air mass information is necessary for the engine control unit (ECU) to balance and deliver the correct fuel mass to the engine. Air changes its density as it expands and contracts with temperature and pressure.
This sensor gets clogged and sends incorrect data to the ECU so the fuel fed to the engine is incorrect. Get this cleaned / replaced.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 14:57   #72
BHPian

@DDiSLover

I had the same issue when I upgraded the tyres to 185/70 where mileage didn't cross 13.5 kmpl

Cross posting from another thread about my experience

What was done

1. Updated my tyres with the following pressure - The tyres in front now are filled with 33 psi and the tyres at the back are filled with 31psi
2. Upshifting before 2k
3. Downshifting only after 2k
4. Gave up all instinctive acceleration

Only missing task is to move to Delvac 1 which will happen soon

=> Moved to Delvac 1 and my last tank full lasted me for 575 kms in the same Bangalore traffic

Pls. try all of the above and keep us posted
Old 28th May 2014, 15:38   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
@DDiSLover

I had the same issue when I upgraded the tyres to 185/70 where mileage didn't cross 13.5 kmpl

Cross posting from another thread about my experience

What was done

1. Updated my tyres with the following pressure - The tyres in front now are filled with 33 psi and the tyres at the back are filled with 31psi
2. Upshifting before 2k
3. Downshifting only after 2k
4. Gave up all instinctive acceleration

Only missing task is to move to Delvac 1 which will happen soon

=> Moved to Delvac 1 and my last tank full lasted me for 575 kms in the same Bangalore traffic

Pls. try all of the above and keep us posted
Wow csateesh! 575 kms!!!

I shall try your tips, although are you sure Tyre pressure should be 33 and 31? I currently fill 33-34psi for all four tyres. I shall try 31psi for the rear soon!

Stupid question, but these should be cold tyre pressures right? So if i drive about 2 kms to the nearest air filling station, what should the pressure be? Or what can I do to cool my tyres down before filling air?

I do try to shift at 2k rpm most of the time, but sometimes, I just can't resist!

I shall try the next full tank withOUT any hard acceleration what so ever and see what I get! 575 kms seems heavenly!

@Anurag, Ill get the MAF checked out also soon!

Thanks guys!

Last edited by DDiSLover : 28th May 2014 at 15:42.
Old 28th May 2014, 15:45   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Stupid question, but these should be cold tyre pressures right? So if i drive about 2 kms to the nearest air filling station, what should the pressure be? Or what can I do to cool my tyres down before filling air?

I do try to shift at 2k rpm most of the time, but sometimes, I just can't resist!

@Anurag, Ill get the MAF checked out also soon!
Fill-in 1-2 psi more than recommended cold tyre pressures (Found on the drivers side door). I fill in F=33psi and R=31psi i.e. warm tyre pressures.

I know controlling one self on a DDiS engine is difficult but it HAS to happen if FE is important. Do get the MAF checked and update.

Anurag.
Old 28th May 2014, 15:54   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Wow csateesh! 575 kms!!!

Stupid question, but these should be cold tyre pressures right? So if i drive about 2 kms to the nearest air filling station, what should the pressure be?
The rear tyre pressure is 31psi as I found 32 and above to be bouncy especially on the "tall" speed bumps.

Here's what I do - Fill 34 and 32 which is warm tyre pressue and the same evening or subsequent morning I reduce it 33 and 31 using something like this

The one I use though is a slightly better one

Hope this helps to solve your problem

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks