Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2019, 15:45   #31
BHPian

Re: My White Knight: '14 Audi A4 TDI 177 BHP with Drive Select

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravan2k2 View Post
Wanted quick help.

I am looking for a good used luxury car.

I am eyeing two diesel Audi A4 diesel.

Both are from 2014
1- 2014, Premium with 54000 km on ODO. Insurance has expired already, owned by a company (Asking 13.15 l)

2- 2014 Premium plus with 45000 km on odo, with sunroof and insurance (Asking 14.30 l)

Will be visiting to see both the cars probably this week. Have been looking for the star and BMW as well but not getting many. Will be keeping for atleast 6-7 years.

1 Which one is better?
2 Is it a good buy?
3 What all should I look for in these? The most important things and how can I check all the things?
4 Budget is around 12 but stretching for entering the luxury segment. Should I?
5 Skeptical about Audi/VW DSG gearbox and the 2014 A4 has a CVT so I believe won't have that failure thing troubling me. I am a sedate driver.
I am just going to give you my 2 cents.

These German cars are well engineered, designed to last and they are lovely to drive. However, the biggest thing with them is the maintenance. They are beautiful as long as you don't have an issue, the moment you go to the service center, bills pile up and sometimes they take days or even weeks to get repaired. If this is going to be your daily driver, unless you have an alternative car if at all things don't work out, stay away from any of the big 3. If not the service center, I also hope that you do have a good mechanic who has enough experience handling these machines. I am not trying to scare you away by any means but that is just the reality.

So if your budget is around 12L and want a taste of the European experience, I suggest you to look at Skoda, especially the Octavia. You'd be able to find a few years old used Octavia rather than opting for a 6 year old A4/3er/C Class.

Back to your questions.

1. I would pick the better maintained car of the two. If they are both equal, I will lean towards the less driven one and in this case, 2nd option.
2. It could be a good buy but there is high risk involved. Just read what I've posted above.
3. The usual wear and tear would be the pads, rotors, suspension etc. However, please do get a maintenance history of both the cars. See if there were any mechanical issues, anything that is related to the engine or the transmission.
4. My simple answer is NO. If you have another car that you could rely on then a may be but I'd still be leaning towards a no.
5. I'm unaware of this, so I will just let someone else answer it.

Hope this helps, happy hunting.
Old 5th December 2019, 16:19   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
These German cars are well engineered, designed to last and they are lovely to drive. However, the biggest thing with them is the maintenance. They are beautiful as long as you don't have an issue, the moment you go to the service center, bills pile up and sometimes they take days or even weeks to get repaired. If this is going to be your daily driver, unless you have an alternative car if at all things don't work out, stay away from any of the big 3. If not the service center, I also hope that you do have a good mechanic who has enough experience handling these machines. I am not trying to scare you away by any means but that is just the reality.

Well. Summed up well for me. I already have a Verna at 1.8lakh on odo in last 5 years and Hyundai i20 diesel with 98k in odo in 7. None have a problem and not planning to sell of my daily driver i20.
My daily running is around 30km or so and only frequent out station trips which we do in Verna and would use A4 for long trips sometimes.
I understand Octavia is good as it has a bad resale. But, the DSG failure rate is really high in Skoda. I am afraid because of that and the resale ASU may not even fetch may be 30% of what I spend right now on Octavia when I sell after 5 years.

MOD NOTE :- Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Last edited by Sheel : 5th December 2019 at 17:20. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 24th March 2021, 14:52   #33
BHPian

Audi A4 Tyre replacement dilemma

Hi Friends,

My 2014 Audi A4 diesel is up for tyre replacement of all 4 tires as i am seeing some minor cracks. I have done about 28k kms.

I currently have Michelin 225/55 R16 tyres and they have been fantastic. I am being offered Goodyear Excellence series at 14k a tire as Michelin's may be hard to get. I need help with the following:
1) Which tyre will have the closest performance to Michelin and wont be too expensive? I understand Michelins are hard to get in Bangalore now.
2) Is it recommended to increase the profile of the tyre for more ground clearance?
3) Any good reference where to buy tyres from at acceptable prices in Bangalore?

Thanks

Amit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks