Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2016, 21:29   #286
Team-BHP Support

Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Hey Karan,

Great to see you have done 28K KM and have had a good 2nd service experience. Hope the good experience continues.

Cleaning the car with an oily rag happens here as well. During my car's 1st service, I remember having given a feedback to use clean microfiber clothes. Not sure if they implemented it though!

A couple of questions:

1. My car has crossed 25K KMs, and I am seeing "Inspection Now" message when I start the car. Is there any inspection that is necessary before the 2nd service? Did you get any such message on your car? The 2nd service for my car is due only in first week of April.
2. I am facing problem with windshield water spray as well. Instead of spraying a uniform mist, the right side nozzle is spraying water to the roof of the car. Was this one of the symptoms in your car's failed windshield washer pipe? By pipe, do you mean the nozzle hidden below the bonnet, or is it some internal plumbing that brings water to the nozzle?

Cheers!
Old 21st January 2016, 21:47   #287
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
.......The only thing that baffles me is the "cowl cleaning" quoted in the bill......
Unless it means something else entirely to VW folks, the cowl area is where the front windshield/wiper drainage is routed through, and muck collects leading to water retention and in-cabin leakage if clogged really bad (water needs to go somewhere).

They need 850 bucks to open ONE drainage panel, blow some pressurized air and fit it back?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st January 2016 at 21:49.
Old 21st January 2016, 22:02   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
1. My car has crossed 25K KMs, and I am seeing "Inspection Now" message when I start the car. Is there any inspection that is necessary before the 2nd service? Did you get any such message on your car? The 2nd service for my car is due only in first week of April.
I got the exact same message as well. It's just for a visual inspection of the car, including an underbody inspection. That's all it is. Took me about 20 minutes in and out, so do get it done before your servicing.

Quote:
2. I am facing problem with windshield water spray as well. Instead of spraying a uniform mist, the right side nozzle is spraying water to the roof of the car. Was this one of the symptoms in your car's failed windshield washer pipe? By pipe, do you mean the nozzle hidden below the bonnet, or is it some internal plumbing that brings water to the nozzle
Nope, can't say it was. With me, the windshield fluid just used to run out extremely fast (a leaky pipe, an easy fix). Right now, it's apparently the pipe for the headlight washer that's gone dead. Don't quite know the intricacies of it, but I'll let you know as soon as I get into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Unless it means something else entirely to VW folks, the cowl area is where the front windshield/wiper drainage is routed through, and muck collects leading to water retention and in-cabin leakage if clogged really bad (water needs to go somewhere).

They need 850 bucks to open ONE drainage panel, blow some pressurized air and fit it back?
Haha, no way that would cost 850 to clean! Ah well, something had to be funny and amiss, else I would have wondered how everything went off without a hitch
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 08:48   #289
BHPian

Quote:

Right now, it's apparently the pipe for the headlight washer that's gone dead. Don't quite know the intricacies of it, but I'll let you know as soon as I get into it.
Is it this pipe that went kaput for you? it is the one that is connected to the cover below your headlight which lifts up and sprays water on the headlamp.
Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-img_20160122_084340.jpg

They broke mine while replacing my bumper. I was surprised to see that this small plastic contraption costs 2K. I did not pay for it but it made me even more careful when dealing with the plastic parts of the car.
etrast75 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 08:51   #290
Senior - BHPian

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
Is it this pipe that went kaput for you? it is the one that is connected to the cover below your headlight which lifts up and sprays water on the headlamp?

That's the one, and maybe something else ancillary to it. Mildly cheesed off that the warranty won't cover it. What's the point of paying through your nose for the warranty and then being nickel and dimed for every small part that goes kaput? I'll try arguing my case, else just replace it. Not worth the heartburn.

Edit: typo corrected
Old 22nd January 2016, 18:06   #291
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I got the exact same message as well. It's just for a visual inspection of the car, including an underbody inspection. That's all it is. Took me about 20 minutes in and out, so do get it done before your servicing.
I called the service department at the dealer to ask about inspection. First the lady I spoke to said per VW service schedule, inspection is not required and the next service is due at 30000km or April.

Then she connected me to a mechanic. He also said inspection is not mandatory, but they recommend customers to get the car inspected once after 7500km. Then I asked how much it would cost and how much time it would take, he said it would cost me around 1500 (he listed something like bumper to bumper inspection, brake checking, filter cleaning) and if I leave the car in the morning I can get it back by evening.

Were these jobs done on your car during inspection? How much did it cost you?
Old 22nd January 2016, 18:50   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I called the service department at the dealer to ask about inspection. First the lady I spoke to said per VW service schedule, inspection is not required and the next service is due at 30000km or April.

Then she connected me to a mechanic. He also said inspection is not mandatory, but they recommend customers to get the car inspected once after 7500km. Then I asked how much it would cost and how much time it would take, he said it would cost me around 1500 (he listed something like bumper to bumper inspection, brake checking, filter cleaning) and if I leave the car in the morning I can get it back by evening.

Were these jobs done on your car during inspection? How much did it cost you?

What a load of rubbish. I paid nothing. It was a visual inspection of the underbody and a general assessment of the car done for free. I was in and out in 20-30 minutes, did the paid service one month later. Don't pay a rupee, ask the service manager to look into this and get your inspection done gratis.

All the jobs he mentioned can and will be done in the service anyways. Why do it during the inspection?
Old 22nd January 2016, 19:50   #293
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...I was in and out in 20-30 minutes, did the paid service one month later. Don't pay a rupee, ask the service manager to look into this and get your inspection done gratis.
I will make a visit to the showroom and talk to the service manager.

If they don't budge and if it is going to cost me for duplicate work that will be done in less than 2 months time, I will skip this and get everything done during the 2nd service. Except for the windshield wiper spray issue, the car is doing great - touchwood!
Old 22nd January 2016, 20:01   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will make a visit to the showroom and talk to the service manager.

Except for the windshield wiper spray issue, the car is doing great - touchwood!

Do that. Like you said, an inspection is scheduled every 7,500 KMS. Based off my experience, it's a painless procedure. Good to hear the car is doing fine. Long may it continue to do so!
Old 22nd January 2016, 23:51   #295
Senior - BHPian

Karan bro, Thanks for the update regarding the service, Mine is due in a couple of weeks time, Though for me the AC blower it seems has to be cleared, The Air is not strong at all like before.

Also Inspection is at every 7500 kms after servicing the car, Which is not compulsory but is mandatory, Just the usual oil, Coolant, Brakes, Suspension check thats all, And a bill mostly less than 1000 rs. Though i recommend everyone getting the inspection done.
Old 22nd January 2016, 23:56   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Karan bro, Thanks for the update regarding the service, Mine is due in a couple of weeks time, Though for me the AC blower it seems has to be cleared, The Air is not strong at all like before.

Also Inspection is at every 7500 kms after servicing the car, Which is not compulsory but is mandatory, Just the usual oil, Coolant, Brakes, Suspension check thats all, And a bill mostly less than 1000 rs. Though i recommend everyone getting the inspection done.

Anytime Tanveer! Kinda glad I'm the Guinea pig on this one, leads to me feeling more responsible and watchful when it comes to getting the car serviced!

Hope the AC thing is nothing major. Where are you gonna give the car in? Kurla or Andheri? I got a call from the Kurla showroom to bring the car in, but there was no way it would have been convenient for me to do so.

I too would recommend getting the inspection done on time. No harm being cautious about these things. There's some new initiative started (forgetting the name) where they do the underbody inspection with the customer present. That's part of the inspection too. And yes, they checked the fluid levels too in addition to a visual inspection. Didn't charge me anything though.
Old 23rd January 2016, 00:08   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anytime Tanveer! Kinda glad I'm the Guinea pig on this one, leads to me feeling more responsible and watchful when it comes to getting the car serviced!

Hope the AC thing is nothing major. Where are you gonna give the car in? Kurla or Andheri? I got a call from the Kurla showroom to bring the car in, but there was no way it would have been convenient for me to do so.
The cooling from the AC is chilling, Its only the air which isn't strong enough, I have to manually take it more than half on the dial to feel the cool air, So there is definitely something wrong. I am too hoping for it to be nothing major. Ill be sending the car to Kurla, Only because one of the service advisor there is a good friend of mine now, Who also indeed tried to help me get some information regarding the parking assist module during my self parking installation, He has assured me of best service so lets see, Have kept my fingers crossed.

Have you decided where are you going to get the car polished? Mine too needs one soon.
Old 23rd January 2016, 00:25   #298
Senior - BHPian

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Ill be sending the car to Kurla, Only because one of the service advisor there is a good friend of mine now.

That's excellent, makes sense to send it wherever you have someone in your corner of the ring. Always helps.

Quote:
Have you decided where are you going to get the car polished? Mine too needs one soon.
Funny you ask that. I spoke with 3M and Motoshines today. I like the sound of what 3M offers; they use carnauba wax as opposed to something synthetic if you ask them to do so, and they'll charge less for that too. Even so, it's quite pricey as you can imagine.

I know Rugved (at Motoshines) from sending the car earlier and they do a good job of it. So I'll give the car to them. 10,500++ will be the tab because I wanted a paint sealant treatment done and he's offered to do two (one after 6 months) at that price. Good value for money if you ask me.

Kamyo crossed my mind, but I don't have a dedicated parking spot, and my society is full of retirees and retards that will make a fuss only because there's nothing better to do. I'll report back with the job Motoshines does. Gonna make the Black Mamba shine bright like a diamond!

Edit: corrected the quotation marks
Old 23rd January 2016, 01:19   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Funny you ask that. I spoke with 3M and Motoshines today. I like the sound of what 3M offers; they use carnauba wax as opposed to something synthetic if you ask them to do so, and they'll charge less for that too. Even so, it's quite pricey as you can imagine.
3M Has to be the most expensive of the lot, I have seen a couple of cars which just came out from the their shop, Work is impressive but is the price justified? Maybe not.

Quote:
I know Rugved (at Motoshines) from sending the car earlier and they do a good job of it. So I'll give the car to them. 10,500++ will be the tab because I wanted a paint sealant treatment done and he's offered to do two (one after 6 months) at that price. Good value for money if you ask me.
This actually seems to be value for money!

Quote:
Kamyo crossed my mind, but I don't have a dedicated parking spot, and my society is full of retirees and retards that will make a fuss only because there's nothing better to do. I'll report back with the job Motoshines does. Gonna make the Black Mamba shine bright like a diamond!
Thats exactly the same reason why i don't want to get my car polished in my building

Do keep this thread Updated brother.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2016, 18:50   #300
Senior - BHPian

Just got the car back after giving it some tender loving care, inside and out at Motoshines.

I'm not the best photographer in the world, and I'm the first to admit that, but I'll let the pics do the talking.

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-fullsizerender-2.jpg

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-fullsizerender-3.jpg

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-fullsizerender-4.jpg

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-fullsizerender-5.jpg

I'm happy with the results on the whole, because the car left looking special. I had to take a walkaround and point a few finer details I wanted to get done (some spots on the seats that got missed, for example), but I would return, especially at this price point. And because you can't put a price on the joy you get from sliding the back of your hand over a smooth, glassy surface that is your car's body. Come to papa, baby!
iliketurtles is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed