Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2014, 16:22   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Congratulations on your new Jetta DSG. Enjoyed reading your write up on the decision making and buying process. Even though all their cars look similar, I feel their family look comes out the best in the Jetta.
Thanks Santosh I'd say you're about right with the family look bit. The Passat's taillights are not that great IMO and the Vento's rear is a no-nonsense one. The Jetta has a look that is timeless, it doesn't have a bad angle.

Quote:
Its a tough call deciding between the VW and Skoda siblings. The Octavia looks like a compelling buy in the segment, but two factors really go against it. The torsion beam rear and Skodas poor reputation when it comes to after sales service. Also VW cars in general seem to be more reliable than Skoda's as the number of trouble stories with VW don't seem to crop up in the same frequency as they do with Skodas.
It's amazing how much your words mirror my thought process. The Octavia was my first choice, and when I was reasoning with myself I asked myself why I should go with the Jetta when it has less kit. The three reasons you mentioned are exactly why I went for the Jetta instead.

Quote:
The honeymoon period with these Euro cars never ends. And in case you do get bored of it, you have a whole lot of modding options with remaps, suspension upgrades, wheel and alloy upgrades etc... Have fun!
There's always that Not sure I'd change the alloys, wheels or even the suspension (although what the Bilstein's can do seems incredible!), I am very seriously pondering a remap after two years. More powahhhhhhh!!

Thanks for stopping by, see you around buddy
Old 19th February 2014, 16:33   #47
BHPian

Excellent review. The rooftop is a sore point in the Jetta, even though practically useless in our weather, it would have added to the looks.

In my opinion had the Civic been still in production, the Corolla and Jetta would have been forced to provide sunroofs!!

Nice looking DRL's. Wish you many miles of happy motoring!!
microaubin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 16:47   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by microaubin View Post
Excellent review. The rooftop is a sore point in the Jetta, even though practically useless in our weather, it would have added to the looks.
Thanks microaubin. Yup, a 'rooftop' would have been real nice from a purely aesthetic point of view, not to mention a (slightly significant?) point of differentiation to the Elantra!

Many thanks again, see you around on the forums!
Old 19th February 2014, 20:38   #49
BHPian

congos mate - i really really had done the same analysis (multilink + paddle shifters) as you have - but alas - cant really spend on an upgrade now!!! enjoy your ride!!!
udiboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 23:26   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udiboy View Post
congos mate - i really really had done the same analysis (multilink + paddle shifters) as you have - but alas - cant really spend on an upgrade now!!! enjoy your ride!!!

Thanks udiboy! Keep the dream alive, you never know when it'll come to fruition!

Ride safe, and thanks for the wishes!
Old 20th February 2014, 13:33   #51
BHPian

Wonderfully written!! Congrats iliketurtles on your new ride.. I liked your comparison of the élantra with a supermodel!! And the jetta looks fabulous in black. Will be difficult to keep it clean though(I have a black last gen honda city). Was it Henry ford who said you can have any colour as long as it's black!? Thinking of an upgrade to jetta myself after reading your write up!
drjkonline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 15:56   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjkonline View Post
Wonderfully written!! Congrats iliketurtles on your new ride.. I liked your comparison of the élantra with a supermodel!!
Thanks drjkonline! I've always felt that way about the Elantra, it is a looker after all!

Quote:
The jetta looks fabulous in black. Will be difficult to keep it clean though(I have a black last gen honda city). Was it Henry ford who said you can have any colour as long as it's black!?
It does indeed, thanks. I have my hands full cleaning it, but it's all good. And yes, it was Henry Ford who said that quote!

Quote:
Thinking of an upgrade to jetta myself after reading your write up!
I'd say take the plunge if you're looking at a diesel from this segment. It's the pick of the lot, and it just got cheaper by approx 50-60,000 thanks to the excise cuts. If I had taken the car now it would have been approx 22L OTR in Mumbai, which is great for what it offers.
Old 20th February 2014, 18:47   #53
BHPian

Many Congratulations iliketurtles. Colour is personal choice, though for me black is the best looking specially in these euro sedans. My cars have been traditionally black always.
I have also taken the plunge and booked a Jetta CL in black. Weekend or an auspicious day of next week will be the delivery.
Was too hooked to skoda. Owning Laura was a dream and then it passed onto Octavia. But the more stories I read more the conviction shaken. Head took over and will be a proud owner of another elegant german madchen
Sanjubose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 20:51   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjubose View Post
Many Congratulations iliketurtles. Colour is personal choice, though for me black is the best looking specially in these euro sedans. My cars have been traditionally black always.
I have also taken the plunge and booked a Jetta CL in black. Weekend or an auspicious day of next week will be the delivery.
Was too hooked to skoda. Owning Laura was a dream and then it passed onto Octavia. But the more stories I read more the conviction shaken. Head took over and will be a proud owner of another elegant german madchen
Thanks Sanjubose, and congrats are in order for you too!

I'm sure that the Octavia TDI would have been reliable enough to own, especially with a manual transmission, but Skoda is still a little problematic on the service front. The VW is a great choice, don't forget to share pics and your thoughts later!
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 00:10   #55
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations! Excellent choice.

VW should be providing extended warranty on the Jetta. I wonder what is holding them...
Chethan B G is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 00:13   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Congratulations! Excellent choice.

VW should be providing extended warranty on the Jetta. I wonder what is holding them...
Thanks Chethan

As they say...aapke mooh mein ghee shakkar. The day they offer an extended warranty I will be at the dealer with a cheque in hand. Hope they do so at the earliest.
Old 22nd February 2014, 03:59   #57
BHPian

Congratulations iliketurtles ! Wishing you a happy and safe motoring.I too took delivery of my jetta on 14th february.Enjoying every moment driving it.
airforce1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 09:13   #58
Senior - BHPian

Hi!

I was looking at the possibility of Headlight swap. Needed some information on the head lights..

Is the setup:

"Xenon for lo-beam and Halogen for hi-beam"?

Does it have cornering function and auto head-light leveling function?

Thanks!
Chethan B G is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 09:42   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Hi!

I was looking at the possibility of Headlight swap. Needed some information on the head lights..

Is the setup:

"Xenon for lo-beam and Halogen for hi-beam"?

Does it have cornering function and auto head-light leveling function?

Thanks!
This headlight has xenons for both low and high beam, and the xenon light itself has auto levelling and a corner feature, while the fogs provide the cornering light at lower speeds. Headlight swap isn't that easy, quite a few sensors will be needed.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 10:41   #60
BHPian

Congrats iliketurtles on your gorgeous Jetta.
Wow, If your rambling is so good, I can't wait till you write a proper travelogue!! Your car comparisons had me in splits, More reliable than Rahul Dravid, Forgetful/forgettable Fuence(I love it though, I guess have a thing for French flair) and Elantra - the supermodel.
This is the most F-word filled initial ownership thread I have read in recent times and you sir, have made my lazy Saturday morning awesomely cheerful. There is nothing like reading about Man's love for car and all the emotions involved in getting hitched with one or to quote you to get to 'our day of love', rated the thread a full 5 stars.

I test drove a Jetta back in may last year while getting my Polo Tsi and am a ardent fan since then. My favourite colour for a Jetta would have been silver, but a well maintained black looks cooler anyday(though not literally). I know how hard it is to go easy on such a beast of a ride, or maybe you could tamper with the Odo and get ahead.

You have not done justice to your ride with the pictures, a looker like Jetta calls for a dedicated photoshoot, please not just interior pics but better exterior pics as well.

Take good care of her and have a great ownership experience.

P.S.: Super-liked your narration on rooftops part.

Cheers,
D.

Last edited by delta5 : 22nd February 2014 at 10:44.
delta5 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed