Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2020, 15:15   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: 2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong

The 6K labor for clutch replacement does appear high. Why are there 2 labor items in the bill ?

The Rapid clutch replacement costs 2552 + taxes in Bangalore, see https://www.skoda-auto.co.in/aid/ser...ost-calculator. My FNG charged me 2800 for clutch overhaul on my Punto, that was almost 2 years ago, I would expect 25-30% more at the ASC.

Honda doesn't provide the labor costs for clutch replacement on its website, which it should for transparency. You can try sending a mail asking for the labor costs. Plus, there shouldn't be this large a variation between service centres in the same city.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 7th January 2020 at 15:18.
Old 7th January 2020, 15:20   #182
Senior - BHPian

re: 2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
The 6K labor for clutch replacement does appear high. Why are there 2 labor items in the bill ?

The Rapid clutch replacement costs 2552 + taxes in Bangalore, see https://www.skoda-auto.co.in/aid/ser...ost-calculator. My FNG charged me 2800 for clutch overhaul on my Punto, that was almost 2 years ago, I would expect 25-30% more at the ASC.

Honda doesn't provide the labor costs for clucth replacement on its website, which it should for transparency. You can try sending a mail asking for the labor costs. Plus, there shouldn't be this large a variation between service centres in the same city.
I agree that there should not be such a large variation across authorized service centers within the same City for sure. But that's how it is.

As for the double entry in the Invoice:
1. Clutch Overhauling
2. Replace Clutch Release Bearing

The Service Advisor said based on the parts selected the Labor jobs get added automatically and is standard operating procedure and that they don't manually add labor jobs. Will try to see if Honda can confirm the same.

Then again, when compared to Hyundai Clutch Replacement costs this is definitely cheaper...
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 12:07   #183
Senior - BHPian

After having used various LED Bulbs on my City, have currently settled with the Nineo II LED Bulbs for both Low Beam and High Beam.
These have a good cut-off and throw without any scatter.

Will possibly cover these in more detail as a dedicated review of these Bulbs - but a preview for now:

2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-01.lights_off.jpg
Reference - Without Lights

2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-02.lowbeam.jpg
Low Beam

2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-03.highbeam.jpg
Low Beam + High Beam
vsrivatsa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 16:50   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Tyre Upgrade

Upgraded Tires on my City to Michelin Primacy 4ST at 54,164 kms on the Odometer. Enjoying the super smooth ride quality and the low noise of the Silence Tuned (ST) tires thoroughly.

Attachment 1901544
Michelin Primacy 4ST - 195/60R15

Attachment 1901545
4ST on the Alloy

All tires from the May 2019 Batch. Full report of the purchase and fitment experience detailed here >> (The Michelin Primacy 4, now available in India)
How's the experience with Michelin Primacy 4ST on your Honda City?I'm planning to replace the Yokohama S-Drives on our City,which has run 45000 Kms on it,to these tyres or Yokohama Earth-1 or Michelin XM2 by this month.

BTW,I also own a 2014 Honda City iDTEC,same as your variant,but in golden brown colour.Had bought it pre-worshipped in July 2017 from a doctor,who had replaced the City with Polo GT TSI,due to less running and the odo was 35000 Kms at the time of purchase and presently,the odo is close to 97000 Kms.

Have bought Hella chrome trumpet horns in feb 2020 after seeing your thread by replacing the previous Bosch Symphony horns,which ran well for 2.2 years.

As I'm planning to get my car midlife makeover,planning to get the headlight bulbs changed to LED's soon.Which brand do you suggest?
Old 14th October 2020, 19:38   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
How's the experience with Michelin Primacy 4ST on your Honda City?I'm planning to replace the Yokohama S-Drives on our City,which has run 45000 Kms on it,to these tyres or Yokohama Earth-1 or Michelin XM2 by this month.
My running has been very low post March 2020 due to the lockdowns and work from home scenario. But I had clocked 5000+ kms after moving to the P4ST and very happy with the performance. The XM2 has now been updated as XM2+. So I would recommend that you choose between the P4ST or XM2+. I did hear that there is some issues in getting latest stock of the Michelins as these are imported tires. If you face such issues then you can opt for the MRF Perfinzas which have been appreciated a lot by our TeamBHP Tire Expert Nikhilb2008.

Quote:
presently,the odo is close to 97000 Kms.
Wow - you will be crossing the 1 Lakh mark soon

Quote:
As I'm planning to get my car midlife makeover,planning to get the headlight bulbs changed to LED's soon.Which brand do you suggest?
This is a mixed bag given that AliExpress options are difficult nowadays. On Amazon.in I dont see much options that are good. See if you want to instead upgrade your Fog Lamps to Projectors > (iPHCAR Bi-Xenon Projector Foglamp upgrade (Blaze India))

I am using the Imported Nineo LED Bulbs as of now for both High Beam and Low Beam (URL)
Old 29th December 2020, 12:16   #186
BHPian

This is an absolutely brilliant thread, Vsrivatsa and a comprehensive guide to all the City IDtec Owners.

I recently purchased a preowned Honda City Edge SV IDtec and covered about 3000km in less than a month.

This thread is like a manual and has provided me with lot of inputs.

Looking forward to more of the amazing details.
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 15:21   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
This is an absolutely brilliant thread, Vsrivatsa and a comprehensive guide to all the City IDtec Owners.
Thanks a lot for your kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
I recently purchased a preowned Honda City Edge SV IDTEC and covered about 3000km in less than a month.
Congratulations on your new possession and wishing you many safe miles with it!
Old 29th December 2020, 15:24   #188
Senior - BHPian

60,000 kms Update

The current Covid-19 situation has put the mile munching on pause. However, I managed to do a quick trip to Hassan and back during the Christmas vacation and the vehicle did cross the 60,000 kms mark:

2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-1609234200469.jpg

2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-1609234200498.jpg

2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-1609234200484.jpg
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2022, 23:57   #189
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
60,000 kms Update
Hey mate.

Good to see you City performing well. One of my friends is looking to buy a pre owned City diesel. He currently has a Baleno hatch petrol. I would like to know about the typical maintenance cost of the City, i.e. the routine service cost and the general part cost. Since you own the Ignis as well, it would be great if you can give a comparison of the maintenance part vis-a-vis the Ignis. This shall also act as a reference for him since he owns a Baleno.

Thanks.
Old 29th December 2022, 15:01   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Since you own the Ignis as well, it would be great if you can give a comparison of the maintenance part vis-a-vis the Ignis. This shall also act as a reference for him since he owns a Baleno.
For the older Honda Cars - as per Manual the Service Interval is twice is a year. I followed this schedule until 2020 and since then started going for an Annual Service as my running is low due to WFH. I also stopped taking the Any Time Warranty (ATW) as well as for the Warranty to work you would need to follow the two service per year schedule.

Coming to the Routine Maintenance Costs - below is the break up after referring to few past bills:

----------------------------------------
Engine Oil + Cartridge: ₹2410.6
Paid Service: ₹2832
PM 2.5 Filter: ₹879.1
Honda Diagnostic Scanning: ₹531
Battery Testing: ₹47.2
-----------------------------------------
Bill Value: ₹6699.9
-----------------------------------------

Note: Some of the major services the Paid Service Item itself comes to ₹3100.

This is the bare minimum value that comes up for an Annual Service - they try to add more value adds to inflate like any other Service Center but one needs to be strict and make sure other add-ons such as AC Blower Cleaning, Motor Care Treatment etc. can be excluded.

Coming to Ignis, the Maruti Service varies based on Nexa vs plain Maruti by about 5-10%. I have tried both and not much of a difference.

For the Ignis, the recommended Service Interval itself is once a year - so that's a good thing. I believe the last few Service Bills have been in the range of 6500 after adding the Oil cost as extra. I buy Synthetic Oil from outside and supply oil to keep the Service Cost low as if I ask for Synthetic Oil at Maruti they charge a Premium for it.

Hope this helps.
Old 31st December 2022, 21:53   #191
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 Honda City – My Diesel Rockstar Arrives. EDIT: KN Filter Cleaning

KN filter Cleaning

I had moved to a KN Filter way back in 2018 itself. (>) As car had not run very minimal during COVID-19 time - had not yet done the cleaning. Decided to clean the filter in time for the New Year.

Did the cleaning using the KN Filter Recharger Kit which comes with the code #99-5050. This includes the Squeeze Oil and not the Aerosol Spray.

Here is guide on cleaning the K&N Filter:

Old 9th March 2024, 17:27   #192
Senior - BHPian

Post the 10 year mark, just curious if you are planning to keep the iDTec or sell it off.

Its very tough to replace a reliable diesel car that returns 20 kmpl in city drives consistently and 23 kmpl average on highways. Diesel sedans are non-existent now and there doesn't seem to be worthy alternatives at a decent price point as well.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 9th March 2024 at 17:30.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 19:39   #193
Senior - BHPian

10 Years with the Honda City

I completed 10 years with the City and have been thinking about writing a post on the ownership experience and my thinking on the way forward.

2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-city.png

The 10 Year mark was completed on 03-Feb-2024 and round about the same time I also completed the 70,000 kms mark on the City.

2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-1709991720829.jpg

70,000 kms in 10 years seems like a lower figure as compared to my previous ownership experience but given that we went thru COVID-19 lock downs and that the other car that we have (Ignis) has clocked 22,000+ kms with a parallel ownership cycle shows that the beater has kind of extended the life of this car.

The road to the 70,000 kms mark has been very uneven with lot more usage in the initial years and muted usage during the COVID period. Here is a run thru of how these numbers have been clocked over the years:

Name:  CityODO.png
Views: 274
Size:  34.7 KB

As I was procrastinating on writing here, I just saw this message from for_cars1

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Post the 10 year mark, just curious if you are planning to keep the iDTec or sell it off.
Its very tough to replace a reliable diesel car that returns 20 kmpl in city drives consistently and 23 kmpl average on highways. Diesel sedans are non-existent now and there doesn't seem to be worthy alternatives at a decent price point as well.
What a timely question and thanks for giving me that push to pen down my thoughts here. I agree totally with above comments made by for_cars1.

Do not see a replacement available in the market that excites me as on date to make me take the plunge towards a new car.
  • The diesel options such as Seltos and Creta Diesel look like decent alternatives in theory - but I don't see it as a wise investment to buy a Diesel car again in 2024.
  • Coming to the EVs - I live in an apartment and there are still debates going on about the risks of setting up an EV Charger within the premises - so EV looks impractical for the time being.
  • The Hybrid route seems to be the way to move forward but there are limited choices (Grand Vitara/Hyryder) with a constrained boot.

Given this scenario, and also given that the ODO reading on my car is still on the lower side, my thinking is to continue with the ownership of the City for another 2 years and then re-visit when more hybrid options show up in the market
vsrivatsa is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 15:58   #194
BHPian

Re: 2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong

Congratulations .

Seeing your decrease in running, you can consider one of the turbo petrol cars.
N Line or the VAG cars.
Tvk1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 16:34   #195
BHPian

Re: 2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong

Quote:
[

The 10 Year mark was completed on 03-Feb-2024 and round about the same time I also completed the 70,000 kms mark on the City.
My brother in law has purchased a Honda Jazz VX iDTec in December 2015 and the vehicle has done 2.2L Kms so far. He does extensive highway driving of 95% on NH-16 between Vizag to Orissa border with very less stress on the clutch and transmission etc.

The highest mileage he has observed is around 31kmpl and the worst is 18kmpl on narrow rural routes/B2B traffic.

We are unable to find a suitable replacement to the reliable Jazz and the Honda service advisors have suggested to keep the vehicle until 5L kms is completed.
vinaydatla is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks