Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2016, 11:45   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Experience. EDIT: 180,000 kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
This is the third set of clutch plate and bearing. The last overhaul was at 60,000km before which was at 30,000km all because of faulty driving style of my previous driver. This set lasted for 1,33,000 km. Hope the current one last atleast 1,50,000km.
Your driver must have meted out some serious abuse. Three clutch changes happening before 200k kms is quite an aberration. My Innova has clocked 119k so far without requiring a change. But nowadays, I hear sometimes, a strange high pitch sound while changing gear- especially from 2nd to 3rd. Its akin to the sound of skidding tyres but one, which lasts only for a millisecond. I am unable to demonstrate it to the service guys and fear the clutch change is finally on me.
Old 26th April 2016, 17:06   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Your driver must have meted out some serious abuse. Three clutch changes happening before 200k kms is quite an aberration. My Innova has clocked 119k so far without requiring a change. But nowadays, I hear sometimes, a strange high pitch sound while changing gear- especially from 2nd to 3rd. Its akin to the sound of skidding tyres but one, which lasts only for a millisecond. I am unable to demonstrate it to the service guys and fear the clutch change is finally on me.

Well that driver left the job. I have another driver now for a year and the only reason this clutch lasted longer. So this time hoping that I won't have to change the clutch at least till 3,50,000km

Coming to your issue of the high pitched noise I too faced the same for the past 40,000km. The noise was while changing the gears from 2nd to 3rd. A slight change in the driving style completely eliminates the sound. You need first release the clutch completely and then press the accelerator you won't here the sound. Try it and let me know.
As long as you cars RPM doesn't rise without any actual motion you don't need to change the clutch. The clutch will start feeling hard now but it's fine.
Old 26th April 2016, 17:11   #78
Senior - BHPian

re: Toyota Innova Experience. EDIT: 10 years, 2,56,000 km up and SOLD!

Quote:
. A slight change in the driving style completely eliminates the sound. You need first release the clutch completely and then press the accelerator you won't here the sound. Try it and let me know.
As long as you cars RPM doesn't rise without any actual motion you don't need to change the clutch. The clutch will start feeling hard now but it's fine.
You are correct! I have noticed that when I consciously change gears, the sound is not heard. Sometimes back I got an Etios petrol- which is now the preferred ride. I had to adjust to its lighter clutch and more peppy motor and maybe that had an effect on how I handled the Innova.
Old 23rd May 2016, 08:37   #79
BHPian

Some concerns about Toyota's reliability

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Recently did 55k service for my Innova. It was just a routine service with washing, fluid topups and break cleaning and the total bill came around Rs 1150.

But there were few comments from SA after the service.
1. There was a very minor leak in Water Pump and they asked me to change Water Pump during next service. There was no visible leak anywhere, no drop in coolant level( drove around 300km after the service). Checked with few Innova owners, nobody has changed this in early stages ( Normally after 8-10 years or after 1 - 1.5km lacs km). The cost will be around Rs 12000.
Anyway i will keep a watch on coolant level till next service

2. Change fuel filter and tank cleaning
Again some doubts about this. Always filling fuel from reputed outlets and even in highways. Already changed the fuel filter and tank cleaning during my 30k service. I am not finding any change in driving behavior. Toyota's claim for fuel filter is life long or after few lacs km.

Not sure about any foul play here. If the observations are true then something to worry about Toyota's reliability.

Anybody has similar experience?

Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 08:51   #80
BHPian

Quote:
A slight change in the driving style completely eliminates the sound. You need first release the clutch completely and then press the accelerator you won't here the sound. Try it and let me know.
Seems like it is a thing with all Toyota vehicles, a similar thing was happening with my Corolla Altis too, took it to the service center and they said it's absolutely fine. Tried your way last night and indeed the sound is gone! Looks like it's going to take some time getting used to! Any idea why does this happen after you clock a certain number of kilometers? Is it because of the aging of the clutch?
Old 23rd May 2016, 08:59   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
1. There was a very minor leak in Water Pump and they asked me to change Water Pump during next service. Anyway i will keep a watch on coolant level till next service
Don't change if no visible leaks. If SA insists, probe his diagnosis & ask him to show leak position.

Quote:
2. Already changed the fuel filter and tank cleaning during my 30k service. I am not finding any change in driving behavior. Toyota's claim for fuel filter is life long or after few lacs km.
Don't remember change interval for fuel filter but it's definitely not this early. Just follow maintenance schedule as mentioned in owner's manual.

Quote:
If the observations are true then something to worry about Toyota's reliability.
This is more to do with service center personnel than Toyota's reliability. Sometimes, SAs try to force unnecessary parts replacement. At times, it's acceptable just to avoid breakdown during a journey but not every time.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 21:05   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for hijacking this thread. Recently did 55k service...Anybody has similar experience?
Hey there!
The water pump shouldn't develop a leak so early.
I suggest you show it to another dealer and if the leak is very small then you can stop it by applying m seal. That's what one of my friend did to his Innova. Although his was a 10 year old car with 1,00,000 km on the odometer.
Regarding the fuel filter and tank cleaning I have to check whether the fuel filter has been changed on my vehicle or not.
At 1,10,000km I was thinking of doing it as my car used to take a bit more time to crank when the engine was hot. However due to time constraints I let it be and I used their diesel injector cleaner and the issue was solved till some extent hence I too forgot about the tank cleaning process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
Seems like it is a thing with all Toyota vehicles, a similar thing was happening with my Corolla Altis too, took it to the service center and they said it's absolutely fine. Tried your way last night and indeed the sound is gone! Looks like it's going to take some time getting used to! Any idea why does this happen after you clock a certain number of kilometers? Is it because of the aging of the clutch?

The explanation given to me for the sound was play developed in the release bearing.

Quote:
Hey there!
The water pump shouldn't develop a leak so early.
I suggest you show it to another dealer and if the leak is very small then you can stop it by applying m seal. That's what one of my friend did to his Innova. Although his was a 10 year old car with 1,00,000 km on the odometer.
Regarding the fuel filter and tank cleaning I have to check whether the fuel filter has been changed on my vehicle or not.
At 1,10,000km I was thinking of doing it as my car used to take a bit more time to crank when the engine was hot. However due to time constraints I let it be and I used their diesel injector cleaner and the issue was solved till some extent hence I too forgot about the tank cleaning process.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 25th May 2016 at 02:57. Reason: Please use the EDIT button instead of creating back-to-back posts within a few minutes.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2016, 15:42   #83
BHPian

Lower Arm Replacement:
The Innova was having a metal creaking sond since 1,20,000 km. I had then got it inspected and was told that the Lower arm bushes have gone bust and will have to replace both the lower arms. For the time being they applied oil and gave the car back to me. Since then whenever the car did more than 1000km in 2 days the creaking sound would come back. We would again apply some oil and again the sound would disappear.
The sound was something like this:

After the last service the sound came back and was much worse this time the car felt like a rickety old bus. Creaking every time the suspension was being exercised. We then decided to get the lower arms changed as the issue was present since ~ 80,000 km.

So this Friday got both the Lower arms as well as stabilizer linkages replaced. I feel that Toyota should have given the option of just replacing the bush. Total cost for the replacement was around Rs. 21,034 only. So now my car rides exactly as it was on day one. In the past month I have spent more than 40,000 on the car I agree that these things need to be changed in an abused 6 year old car now keeping fingers crossed.
I do not have pictures of the old lower arms but they were rusted and could make out that it was in a bad shape.
Here is one picture I took while they were fitting the new lower arms.
Toyota Innova Experience. EDIT: 10 years, 2,56,000 km up and SOLD!-034.jpg
On a side note I noticed that Toyota imports even an M10 flange nut from Malaysia because of which it cost Rs.60!
That's all for now. Next big expense are the tyres which I think will easily do another 10,000 km. Car is now at 1,97,500 km slowly inching towards the 2 lakh mark.

Last edited by dean5545 : 29th May 2016 at 15:46.
dean5545 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 10:01   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[ I have spent more than 40,000 on the car I agree that these things need to be changed in an abused 6 year old car now keeping fingers crossed.
Hi Dean, did you by any chance maintain a maintenance cost log? Or can you give a good guess of your maintenance cost per km?
I have not read through the whole thread, but I feel your Innova may be one of the more expensive ones to maintain. Sorry if being intrusive, just curious as a fellow Innova owner.
Old 10th June 2016, 16:38   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi Dean, did you by any chance maintain a maintenance cost log? Or can you give a good guess of your maintenance cost per km?
I have not read through the whole thread, but I feel your Innova may be one of the more expensive ones to maintain. Sorry if being intrusive, just curious as a fellow Innova owner.
Hey,
I do not have any log for the costs however good guess would Rs.35000-40000 per 20,000 km or 6 months. That's roughly what it has costed me in the past 2 years.

However it can be much lower that the above figure. For eg. I use Synthetic oil so that costs me three times more( 7000-9000 instead of 3000-4000 for an oil change). The earlier clutch overhauls were premature at 30,000 and 60,000km.
The Brake disc would have lasted another 30,000 km had I not used those aweful brembo brake pads which ate into my discs.
Many do not repaint a car 5 years but I opted for one owing to the no. of scratches and dents it had picked up in the 8 months due to a stamp size parking space which takes at least 10 minutes and 3 three point turns .

However the 2.5 D-4D and the 5 speed gearbox is a major plus point. The engine is still as good as new and the gearbox is butter smooth even better than some newer cars including the new Crysta. It doesn't take a lot of care too. I service my car every six months and it has never done less than 15,000 km in 6 months. Once the service was carried out after 6 months and 22,000 km still there was no signs of it showing any fatigue. Only the coolant level had dropped which we topped up by ourself.

Last edited by dean5545 : 10th June 2016 at 16:45.
dean5545 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2016, 09:11   #86
BHPian

Re: Some concerns about Toyota's reliability

Quote:
1. There was a very minor leak in Water Pump and they asked me to change Water Pump during next service. There was no visible leak anywhere, no drop in coolant level( drove around 300km after the service). Checked with few Innova owners, nobody has changed this in early stages ( Normally after 8-10 years or after 1 - 1.5km lacs km). The cost will be around Rs 12000.
Anyway i will keep a watch on coolant level till next service
I am keeping a watch on coolant level after last service. The level is as shown below in cold condition.
Toyota Innova Experience. EDIT: 10 years, 2,56,000 km up and SOLD!-coolant_cold.jpg
But I think the level should be between Min and Max in cold condition. Looks like during last service they haven't done any topup. Another possibility is, most of the times I am opting for 60 minutes service and when they are checking the levels, engine/coolant will be hot condition(expanded). So they may not be doing the topup. This is just my guess, I may be wrong.

And after running around 10km, the level shows as below.
Toyota Innova Experience. EDIT: 10 years, 2,56,000 km up and SOLD!-coolant_hot.jpg
From last 3-4 weeks / 200-250km I am not seeing any drop in levels. Do I need to do coolant topup immediately?
Thanks
Old 18th June 2016, 13:43   #87
Senior - BHPian

Re: Some concerns about Toyota's reliability

Quote:
I am keeping a watch on coolant level after last service. The level is as shown below in cold condition.
Attachment 1518970
But I think the level should be between Min and Max in cold condition. Looks like during last service they haven't done any topup. Another possibility is, most of the times I am opting for 60 minutes service and when they are checking the levels, engine/coolant will be hot condition(expanded). So they may not be doing the topup. This is just my guess, I may be wrong.

And after running around 10km, the level shows as below.
Attachment 1518971
From last 3-4 weeks / 200-250km I am not seeing any drop in levels. Do I need to do coolant topup immediately?
Thanks
Seems worrisome if that is the level in cold condition.

Mine looks like this in cold condition, that too not topped up since 8 months.

Toyota Innova Experience. EDIT: 10 years, 2,56,000 km up and SOLD!-coolant-levels.jpg

Better get checked and confirmation on top-up. Although, it should not cause any problems.
parsh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 14:41   #88
BHPian

2,00,000 km Up!

And the Innova crossed the 2,00,000 km milestone this tuesday.
I wasn't in town that time but had asked my driver to click a picture and keep.
He clicked the pic:
Toyota Innova Experience. EDIT: 10 years, 2,56,000 km up and SOLD!-20160629photo00000015.jpg
Currently there are no problems in the car whatsoever. Only the interior door trim cloth has come apart which is an eyesore.
A pic from my recent trip to Lonavala:
Toyota Innova Experience. EDIT: 10 years, 2,56,000 km up and SOLD!-image1.jpg

Current odo reading is 2,00,500

Mods please change thread title to 2,00,000 km
dean5545 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 18:01   #89
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2,00,000 km Up!

Quote:
And the Innova crossed the 2,00,000 km milestone this tuesday.
Congratulations Danzil on crossing the big double ton!

Do you by any chance maintain a log of maintenance costs incurred so far? Would certainly be interesting and helpful for others!
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 11:02   #90
BHPian

Toyota Innova Experience. EDIT: 2,00,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Congratulations Danzil on crossing the big double ton!

Do you by any chance maintain a log of maintenance costs incurred so far? Would certainly be interesting and helpful for others!

Thanks Alot Ace.
I don't have any service cost estimates as such. But back of the envelope calculations says around 35,000-40,000per 6 months or 20,000km this includes service, tyres, painting and non regular part replacements such as suspension as well as any other modifications such as headlight upgrades etc.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks