Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2014, 14:43   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Toyota Innova Experience. EDIT: 10 years, 2,56,000 km up and SOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
As far as I remember have been changing the transmission oil every 40,000 km. Will be giving my car for service in May by then it would have done about 1,25,000 km. At that service the transmission oil and differential oil will be changed.

For the benefit of others I am thinking of getting a print out of my entire service history at my next service,which I will scan and upload here.
Excellent.
Since you have also mentioned, that you personally stand with your vehicle while the work is getting done - perhaps you can explain what quality check was done to ensure
a) That the transmission oil change was carried out correctly?
i.e. did they do this on a cold transmission case, hot transmission case. What was the process. How did you check if it was done correctly.

b) How do you intend to do the check the quality of the work done for the differential's oil change?

I am sure , you would not blindly trust the mechanics at Toyota A.S.S. to do their job correctly - hence the very specific questions above.
Old 1st May 2014, 11:24   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Excellent.
Since you have also mentioned, that you personally stand with your vehicle while the work is getting done - perhaps you can explain what quality check was done to ensure
a) That the transmission oil change was carried out correctly?
i.e. did they do this on a cold transmission case, hot transmission case. What was the process. How did you check if it was done correctly.

b) How do you intend to do the check the quality of the work done for the differential's oil change?

I am sure , you would not blindly trust the mechanics at Toyota A.S.S. to do their job correctly - hence the very specific questions above.
a. According to me yes. But I have very little experience.

b. Honestly speaking its been more than a year since the last differential oil check hence I cannot recollect any thing willget on this after my next service.

If you want you could go through guderian sirs thread which is very informative on this matter.
Here's the link:Admiral 40k km update
Old 1st May 2014, 22:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As far as I remember have been changing the transmission oil every 40,000 km. Will be giving my car for service in May by then it would have done about 1,25,000 km. At that service the transmission oil and differential oil will be changed.
One more question....
Did you get the terms "transmission oil" and "differential oil" mixed up in the above post?
The reason I say this is because - differential oil is required to be changed every 40k km. Transmission oil, on the other hand is changed at 80k km , and then inspected for any further action every 40 k km. However, if you had issues with the clutch or gearbox - and only in that case would the transmission oil be changed much earlier.

Your earlier posts do not refer to any such parts failure. Which led me to the above question.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 17:59   #34
BANNED

Hi Dean5545, you have a beauty of an Innova there.
We too had the same model in exactly the same shade but in the V variant and 8 seater configuration. We sold it in August last year and have deep regrets now that we require a big car again. Everyone in the family loves it still. Kudos to you for maintaining it well.
kisharchit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 18:58   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
We too had the same model in exactly the same shade but in the V variant and 8 seater configuration. We sold it in August last year and have deep regrets now that we require a big car again. Everyone in the family loves it still. Kudos to you for maintaining it well.
Though it is a bit here (and apologies dean5545 for piggybacking your thread ), but kisharchit could you please share the resale value of your Innova. Also what year manufacturing it was and how much it had run when you sold it? I am very keen in knowing these numbers as I was/am in the market looking for a pre-worshipped Innova.
Old 3rd May 2014, 10:07   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
One more question....
Did you get the terms "transmission oil" and "differential oil" mixed up in the above post?
Sorry,my bad. I thought both the oil changes were carried out at 40,000 km interval. I had this perception because both the oils were changed at 80,000km.
Thanks for correcting me and keep sharing your experiences here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Hi Dean5545, you have a beauty of an Innova there.
Thanks alot. Glad you liked it.
Old 3rd May 2014, 11:57   #37
BANNED

Quote:
I had this perception because both the oils were changed at 80,000km.
Thanks for correcting me and keep sharing your experiences here.
AFAIK, the transmission oil is changed every 40K kms. Can you please tell what grade of oil was used in both the transmission and differential?

Any difference felt after the change?

Anurag.
Old 3rd May 2014, 12:01   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
AFAIK, the transmission oil is changed every 40K kms. Can you please tell what grade of oil was used in both the transmission and differential?

Any difference felt after the change?

Anurag.
Even I heard my SA saying the same thing. Will get things clarified. The only difference was that the shifts had become a lot more smoother.

It's not that smooth now. Will have to wait till next service.
Old 3rd May 2014, 17:34   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Though it is a bit here (and apologies dean5545 for piggybacking your thread ), but kisharchit could you please share the resale value of your Innova. Also what year manufacturing it was and how much it had run when you sold it? I am very keen in knowing these numbers as I was/am in the market looking for a pre-worshipped Innova.
I sold it for dirt cheap. Full of regrets now. I sold it for 8.25 lacs and it had done only 43K kms. It had a carrier and full stanley leather interiors which were squeeky clean.

Now I am also in the market for used Innova but seeing similar cars going for 9.5 lacs above online. Good 2012 models are all 12-13 lacs above and are not V variant. I need only V variant and 8 seater configuration.
kisharchit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2014, 11:08   #40
BHPian

The first puncture on the Michelins:

The first puncture on the Michelins:

After about 5000km the Michelin got its first flat on tuesday the 13th. Dad had left for Kenya for some business and since I had exams even I was not using it. On tuesday when I returned from college I could see the car tilted to left hand side. On a closer look found the tyre to be flat.

There was enough air for the car to be driven and the tyre walla is hardly 300m from my house.So put the car in first gear and left the clutch and gas pedal and took the car to puncture guy. There I found the tyre had been punctured by a small metal object. Got the tyre repaired by using the tubeless puncture kit and went home. Paid him 150 bucks.

Toyota Innova Experience. EDIT: 10 years, 2,56,000 km up and SOLD!-image-small.jpeg

Toyota Innova Experience. EDIT: 10 years, 2,56,000 km up and SOLD!-image_1-small.jpeg

The metallic object.
Toyota Innova Experience. EDIT: 10 years, 2,56,000 km up and SOLD!-image_2-small.jpeg

Ironically all these days when the car was running everyday there was no problem , must be the metal object pierced the tyre in one of the car's recent trip to Daman. The second thing it was the rear left tyre again!
The same spot with one less nut and a bent rim. Looks like that side is spooked. This is the third puncture I'm facing on the rear left side. It has eaten up 2 tyres till now.
Just hope it doesn't eat the Michelins too.
dean5545 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 15:52   #41
BHPian

1,20,000 km Service.
The car went for 1,20,000 km service 10 days back at 1,23,xxxkm. All the filters , engine oil and differential oil were changed this time. My SA told me that transmission oil is changed at 80,000km interval and Toyota cars don't require flushing. Forgot to tell the SA to fill Synthetic instead of mineral, by the time I reminded him they had already changed the Oil.
Total cost of service was around 12,000rs. The main reason of doing this service was that I was going for a 4000 km round trip down south.

I could easily feel the difference in pick up and smoothness of the engine due to oil blunder. The car has become more lethargic, acceleration also has decreased and I feel the engine note is become more rough. Would recommend synthetic oil to all Innova owners it makes a difference in the long run.

New Headlights.
As a birthday gift I got P8 Xenons 55W 4300k fitted. The throw and spread is definitely better from the previous 100/90W philips bulbs. But light flashing is not as fun as expected I think I need projectors for that.

The Trip:
As mentioned earlier the car did a 4000km trip:Mumbai-Bangalore-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thrissur-Pondicherry-Mumbai. The car performed flawlessly! Except for the drop in pick up due to the oil change problem. The Michelins too were put their paces and they performed well. Really glad I put those tyres.

Some Pics from the Trip.
The Early Morning Start.
Toyota Innova Experience. EDIT: 10 years, 2,56,000 km up and SOLD!-001-small.jpg

Somewhere Near Palakkad
Toyota Innova Experience. EDIT: 10 years, 2,56,000 km up and SOLD!-029-small.jpg

Toyota Innova Experience. EDIT: 10 years, 2,56,000 km up and SOLD!-030-small.jpg

Getting a much needed wash
Toyota Innova Experience. EDIT: 10 years, 2,56,000 km up and SOLD!-031-small.jpg

Resting at my House in Thrissur
Toyota Innova Experience. EDIT: 10 years, 2,56,000 km up and SOLD!-048-small.jpg

The Current ODO reading stands at 1,27,8xx km.
Old 27th July 2014, 11:57   #42
BHPian

1,30,000km UPDATE
The car completed 1,30,000km last week.
Need help from you guys on 2 problems I have been facing in my Innova.

Problem no.1:
Water is leaking from the HVAC unit. When I take sharp turns I can hear the water flowing from one side to another and then a fine stream of water appears on the floor. When I opened up the dashboard and checked the A/c filter was a bit damp and I could feel that area to be very moist.
On reading up on the net came to know that this is mainly caused due a clogged drainage pipe.

Did anyone of you guys face such an issue?

Problem No.2 :
The clutch is gone bad again I feel. While shifting from 2nd to 3rd I can hear a sound. It's like a the tyres are screeching. Also the pick up has dropped a bit so has the mileage. Checked the air filter its fine.
That sound is more when I slip the clutch while on the slope.
Is this a sign of a bad clutch? I feel the clutch springs have gone bad but don't know.

Please help me out here.

On the bright side I have ordered Brembo Brake Pads for the Innova. Costed me 2500/- which is cheaper than the OEM pads. Will post my feedback after installing.
Old 27th July 2014, 12:58   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Problem No.2 :
The clutch is gone bad again I feel. While shifting from 2nd to 3rd I can hear a sound.

Please help me out here.

On the bright side I have ordered Brembo Brake Pads for the Innova.
How is the speed vs RPM?

For Example: In my Swift D, 80 kmph @ 5th gear comes at 1900 RPM and 100 kmph @ 5th gear comes at 2300 RPM.

See if the RPM is same but speed is lower. If yes then the clutch could be out.

Do try the handbrake test once to confirm.

Do post a few pictures and braking feel after you change to Brembo's.

Anurag.
Old 27th July 2014, 13:04   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
How is the speed vs RPM?

For Example: In my Swift D, 80 kmph @ 5th gear comes at 1900 RPM and 100 kmph @ 5th gear comes at 2300 RPM.

See if the RPM is same but speed is lower. If yes then the clutch could be out.

Do try the handbrake test once to confirm.

Do post a few pictures and braking feel after you change to Brembo's.

Anurag.
The Speed vs RPM is the only thing that hasn't changed. But it sure does take a bit more time for speed to pick up. It reaches 100 at 5th gear at 2500 rpm then and now. 120 kmph is at 3000 rpm.
Old 27th July 2014, 13:46   #45
BHPian

Quote:
1,30,000km UPDATE
The car completed 1,30,000km last week.
Need help from you guys on 2 problems I have been facing in my Innova.

Problem no.1:
That's a clogged drain channel for you. Face the same issue in all my cars every 2-3 years.

Quote:
Problem No.2 :

Please help me out here.

On the bright side I have ordered Brembo Brake Pads for the Innova. Costed me 2500/- which is cheaper than the OEM pads. Will post my feedback after installing.
That's a worn out clutch for you. Just ask them to change the clutch plate and release bearings and you are good to go

Please do post a feedback of the brembo pads w.r.t. performance and more crucially, life.

Can you let me know from where you ordered those?

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed