Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2016, 17:45   #31
BHPian

re: An "adopted" Blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR - Update - 8 Years & 81,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
100% Hyderabad city/ORR runs with 30% AC: 17 kmpl
Seems fair to me considering the traffic conditions in Hyderabad.

Quote:
Slight squeaking sound while braking, for the first km run everyday. Do the brake pads need replacement?
Slight squeaking is normal. That happens with my Alto too, particularly in winter mornings. The swish goes away after a few stops as the disc warms up, driving off the moisture accumulated overnight.

If you feel the braking is skimpy and / or squeaking persists throughout the day, better get it checked once.

Quote:
Though the OE SF Sonic battery is 4.5 years old, it starts the car at the very first crank. Also my Runner runs every single day of the week. Should I go in for a proactive battery replacement?
Why do you even consider it when it is working as it should. Just get it checked during your next visit to MASS.

Quote:
I observed an uneven wear of the rear left tyre. The outer edge of the tyre is almost bald while the rest of the width seems fine.
Sounds like an alignment issue. Too much positive camber would result in a wear like this. Get an alignment check.
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 18:16   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

re: An "adopted" Blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR - Update - 8 Years & 81,000 kms

The Runner is at 29k mark. Another 1k and I will take it for the next service (an interval of 8k kms between oil changes is good enough). The OE battery is still holding on and am waiting till it falters. Probably my DAILY use is helping the battery remain in decent health.

Winters are gone (at least here in Hyderabad) and AC is on most of the times. The FE has fallen back to the usual 15+ kmpl within the city use. AC has lost its cold touch and needs to be looked upon. The Runner is still running on OE AC gas, with out any cleaning, etc.
Is there a fixed interval at which the AC gas has to be checked or the condensor cleaned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Sounds like an alignment issue. Too much positive camber would result in a wear like this. Get an alignment check.
I rotated all 5 tyres (keeping the worn out tyre as stepney). Also got the balancing and alignment done. But as usual, only the front tyres were aligned. Now my doubt is, since the rear ones were not aligned (as they cannot be) how could this exercise have solved my problem? And if not, then how can this problem be solved?

As of now, I am observing for wear out yet again.
Old 4th March 2016, 15:43   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

The Road Runner breached the 30k kms mark a few days ago and I will be taking it for service tomorrow. I have decided to try out GEM Motors, Ashok Nagar for this service. The agenda for this service is the uneven rear tyre wear-out and a poor AC blower throw, apart from changing the usual consumables. I might look into rectifying a few rattles too which have cropped up due to the daily run on the poor Hyderabad roads.

Summer has made its presence felt since the last 3 weeks and AC runs 100% of the time. FE is 15- kmpl. Off-late, I have been very aggressive with the throttle. I also discovered that the engine note is like a jet engine around the 5k rpm. The engine is loud, noisy but still loves to be revved.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 15:13   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

RoadRunner crossed the 31k mark last week. I took to Sai Service a couple of weeks back for service. Apart from the usual consumables like engine oil and oil filter change, the coolant and battery were topped up, air filter was cleaned and brakes were cleaned. Brake shoes and pads have more than enough life for the next 10k kms.

AC cooling had gone down and hence they checked the cabin filter. To my surprise, it was choked (in a little more than 5 months and 8k kms). A new cabin filter was installed. They also cleaned the blower though it only had minor dust accumulation. The AC has regained 85% cooling efficiency wherein the last 15% is due a slightly reduced air flow (do I need to look at the condensor coil?).

I had complained about an uneven wear out of the rear tyres. They said camber adjustment is not possible in rear wheels and it might be a bearing failure or a bad impact from a pothole leading to a suspension misalignment. They did the alignment again and have asked me to run a few thousand kms to observe. Three tyres are due for replacement (2 on the rear wheels and 1 stepney). Once I am sure of the problem getting rectified, I will change all the tyres (to something much gripper and softer). But as of now, the observation continues. I haven't yet identified a perceptible wear-out after the alignment job.

Another component due for replacement is the front left lower arm of the suspension. The bush is cut and the suspension makes a thud noise while going over sharp undulations. The SA said the lower arm replacement can wait until the next service if I can ignore the occasional noise as it is only a bush failure and I agreed. I think this is a cheating practice by MS. For a failure of a 50 INR rubber bush, I have replace the whole lower arm for almost 4500 INR.

Overall, the final bill was 38xx INR. For the next service, I have to replace the air filter (40k km replacement cycle) and the lower arm(s). Should I procure them from outside and get the work done at the FNG?
Also, is anyone using the magnetic window shades and how effective are those?

The FE remains 14.5-15.5 kmpl with 100% AC.
Old 23rd May 2016, 14:11   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

RoadRunner is about to cross 33k kms mark before the end of this week. The running has been 75% City and 25% outer ring road (6 lane roads). It has been returning 14-15 kmpl (100% AC) in each re-fuel. I usually tank up when the there are 2 bars (1 bar on rare occasions) and the tank accommodates 25-30L of petrol each time. The second last refuel returned about 13.7 kmpl but it included almost 1.5 hours of idling (AC on), cumulatively.

On the darker side, the cooling has come down slightly and is ineffective during peak summer afternoons. I also have to use the blower at 3-4 regularly to extract the maximum cold air. This is loud and disturbing. The same AC is more than sufficient (sometimes too chilling) in the evenings. Calls for some compromise till I sort it out. Seems like I need to get the condenser coil checked (have been avoiding opening up the dashboard to avoid opening a can of rattles.

Opening the glove box a few times to change the cabin filter has resulting in rattles from it. After my last water wash, the guys have miss-aligned the tool kit and hazard triangle kit in the boot. Hence, more rattles. Add to it the cut bush in the left lower arm, you get more thuds and more rattles.
No, it isn't that rattly, it's just that I like a quiet cabin. On the other hand, I also like to ignore smaller road imperfections and bumps (there are just too many of them in my city roads and I lose patience slowing for each one of them). I can definitely fix some these rattles myself but then I only remember about them when I get in the car and start driving.
Front tires have a fair amount of life in them (at least 7-8k kms) and have decided to run them till rains come (another 3k kms at max).

Yesterday, I covered 200kms on the outer ring road and RoadRunner was completely at peace with itself at 100-110 clicks. Next weekend, the RoadRunner takes me to Bangalore and back, another 1250kms to be added.

To ponder, the tall seating and a clear view of the road, has spoilt me. I don't feel comfortable in my friend's new Baleno even though it's more luxurious and the seat have much better support. Driving 50kms in the Baleno gives both of us lower back pains. I have driven 500+ kms on multiple occasion in my RoadRunner and never had such a problem. I'm not very comfortable in the new Jazz too though I haven't driven long distances in it as yet. This means my next car has to be a SUV (even a 'pseudo' one would do). Until I can afford one, I run along with the RoadRunner......Beep Beep

Last edited by ashis89 : 23rd May 2016 at 14:12. Reason: Spell check
Old 3rd June 2016, 10:05   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Got back from Bangalore last Sunday. It was 1240 kms both ways and about 20 kms of intra-city runs. The 3 tankfuls returned 15.3+ kmpl which is 2.5-3 kmpl less than what the RoadRunner returned in the last Bangalore trip. And last time round, we were 3 of us travelling while it was me alone this time. The speeds maintained were quite similar as the time taken was same (ignoring the breaks). This got me thinking. And today, I found the reason.

I had been planning to get the air pressure of my tyres checked. I wanted to top it off before leaving for Bangalore. But a long queue at the air station coupled with my delay in leaving office on Friday evening meant that I took the highway ASAP. I didn't want to get it checked when the tyres were hot and so I just reached Bangalore. On the return leg, I didn't find one nearby (I prefer the digital ones in petrol stations rather than the analog ones with tyre shops) and again I just hit the highway. Today it was time to tank up and I gathered some patience to join the air station queue (it was much smaller today). To my surprise, the pressure was 27 on all four tyres (so uniform!!). Promptly got it filled till 32. And yes, it was checked after 40 odd days, all due to my lethargy.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 14:00   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Odo stands at 354xx kms. A couple of scratches have come up on the rear bumper. One was because of the carelessness of the parking guard of my office (and my blind belief in him). The second came because of my own carelessness (someone had encroached my parking spot in my apartment and kept his bike ). Being an 'old' car, I didn't care to mend these cosmetic damages. Otherwise, all good so far.

Last tankful:

Distance covered: 396 kms
Type: 100% City, 60% AC
Fuel consumed: 27.3 litres
F.E.: 14.50 kmpl
Old 30th July 2016, 14:07   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Odo is at 35800 kms and RoadRunner got new pair of shoes an hour ago. Upgraded the stock Amazer 3G 155/65 R14 to Earth 1 165/65 R14. Ordered these from PayTm and paid 13.2k (after cash back). They had promo installation where in would have a discounted charge for installation and balancing but I would have to register for their services. I didn't bother doing that and got it installed at a Bridgestone store. The guy insisted on changing the valves and I agreed. All in all, I paid another 1k for installation and balancing. He didn't give any buyback for the old tyres and I didn't haggle. I just kept one of the old tyres as the spare.

On the new tyres, they are very silent and the ride has improved considerably due to increased ride height (and softer tyres). Will report a detailed feedback after a couple of weeks.
Old 31st July 2016, 01:02   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Appreciate the regular updates on the Blue eyed boy! Please do add some pics every now and then and the report will be even more interesting.

Did you do something about the A/C ? Since it's monsoon now, there may not be a need, but like to know whether the issue was resolved.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 12:06   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

After almost 1000 kms on the new tyres, here are some of my observations:

1. As stated earlier, the ride quality has improved by leaps and bounds. I can attribute it to 3 reasons - softer vs. harder rubber quality, old hard vs. new soft tyre, small side wall height vs. higher side wall.

2. Been through a couple of sudden braking situations and the braking efficiency has increased due to better grip and the tyres don't tend to lock up.

3. Increased rolling resistance means the car feels slightly sluggish while starting from standstill. I also feel a slight resistance while taking U-turns.

4. In the corners, there is slight increase in body roll but there is also increase in grip from the tyres. Overall, the car feels much more sure footed around the corners.

5. The FE was 14.17 kmpl in my last tankful (~420 kms, 100% city, 60% AC). The current tankful will return ~15 kmpl (90% AC, 20% ORR, 80% City). I have covered 370 kms and still have 4 bars, should need to tank up within this week.

I know the pictures are missing from my reports but all my pictures are there in my phone while I keep posting from my laptop. I'm a bit lazy to transfer the pics and upload them. Another weekend came and went by but I was never successful with my plan to upload a few pics. Maybe the next weekend might be different.

Regarding the AC, I changed the gas but later realized I just wasted my money. There wasn't any significant improvement. My problem was reduced air flow and hence low cooling. The local AC guy who suggested changing the gas also said that for 5k INR he will do a complete cleaning, etc but I wasn't impressed at all. I'm paranoid about opening up the whole dashboard and all for cleaning and then the fitting of the same.

After a month, during my visit to MASS for routine service, I mentioned this and they said cabin filter is clogged. Got a new filter and cooling did improve considerably. Now after 6.5k kms, the AC airflow has come down again. Towards Sept end, I will go for the routine service. Apart from the cabin filter, I will ask the MASS guys for thorough cleaning of the AC system.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 10:17   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Odo is at 36702 kms. RoadRunner consumed its second tankful of petrol after it underwent the shoe change. Tanked up yesterday and the details are below.

Total amount: 1850 INR
Petrol price: 64.2 INR/L
Petrol consumed: 28.81 lits
Kilometers covered: 443.5 kms

FE: 15.4 KMPL
Price per km: 4.17 INR/km

Over this last tankful and the present one (since yesterday), the engine feels better. The lethargy that I was talking about seems to be almost gone and the engine noise seems to be back to normal. Now, there could be 2 reasons for this:

1. I have grown accustomed to the new driving dynamics over the past month. This could be true, yet I can move the car at a higher gear at a few places just like I could do earlier.

2. The tankful right after the tyre change was done by my friend who had taken my car. He did it a small station fuel nearby which doesn't do much business. There could be issues with the fuel quality at the said fuel station.
Old 1st September 2016, 15:16   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

As requested, I am uploading some pictures of RoadRunner and its adventures over the past six months.

At the last service @Sai Service, a MASS
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_1048.jpg

On the return leg from Bengaluru on my last trip
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_2331.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_2332.jpg

Shoes getting replaced
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_3170.jpg

The state of the rear tyre before change
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_3623.jpg

See the slightly higher wear on the outer lip
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_3624.jpg

Front tyre had significant thread when I changed, kept the best one on the spare wheel
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_3622.jpg

After the tyre change, the new shoes fill the wheel well much better
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_3186.jpg

Taken a couple of weeks back. It needs a good wash but will wait till rains subside
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_3230.jpg

Odo @36k as of 5th Aug '16. It's inching towards 37k now
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_3220.jpg

Last edited by ashis89 : 1st September 2016 at 15:26. Reason: Picture alignment
ashis89 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 11:09   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

RoadRunner ran past the 37k mark over the last weekend and is now a few hundred further ahead. No issues to be reported except, pending change of the lower arms, reduced air flow from the AC (cooling is very good) and a few rattles (front passenger seat and the passenger seat belt). The following is the FE details of the last tankful:

Distance covered: 441.7 kms
Fuel consumed: 28.69 lits
Fuel price: 67.75 INR/L
Total amount: 1943.74 INR.

FE: 15.395 KMPL
Price per km: 4.4 INR/KM

Usage pattern: 85 kms on ORR and highway, rest of it in the city. 80% AC.

Off-topic, I had my friend's Pulsar with me for 10 days as he was out of station. I had planned to take it to office at least for 4-5 days. Intention was to please the biker in me, save some time in the traffic, explore a few new shortcut routes/new areas and save some money too . Those 10 days came and went away but I never took the bike. Every time I went down to the parking, I drawn towards the comfort of my car and ditched the bike. I did take the bike a couple of times for small errands and managed to get a neck pain while riding it. Probably the biker in me needs another year of hibernation.

Last edited by ashis89 : 7th September 2016 at 11:10. Reason: Spell check
Old 17th October 2016, 12:44   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

It has been a slow, relaxed period for the RoadRunner since my last update. The odo is at 378xx kms as of today. Part of this is because I was out of town for 11 days. Will be taking him for service some time over the next couple of weeks. I have identified the following issues for examination:

- Brakes have lost bites. I believe the pads are due for replacement.
- Reduced airflow from the AC vents. I was putting off cleaning the evaporator coils. Probably that is the issue. It cools very efficiently but the airflow at speed 1-2 is negligible. Any insights?
- Front suspension lower arms have to be replaced.
- Gear-shifts are notchy. Have to check the clutch (clutch pedal is soft). I could hear a clicking sound while engaging the clutch, on a few occasions. Any insights?
- 40k service will include replacement of the air filter, changing the transmission oil in addition to the regular service.

Even after being idle for 11 days, RoadRunner started with out a flinch. It seems the 5+ year old battery still has some juice left. The last two tankfuls returned 13.5 KMPL (long traffic jams due to the rains might be the cause).
Old 7th November 2016, 12:28   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Last weekend, I took my RoadRunner to my FNG with the above list of observations and requests. The owner requested for TD with me after which he arrived at the following conclusions:

- Suspension sound is due to damaged caliper pins. When I apply brake, the sound goes away.
- Clutch and gearbox are absolutely fine.
- I insisted that the lower arms need replacement. I had seen the bush of the left side arm was cut. He said if bush is cut then the arm will damage eventually. We can go ahead with the replacement. Replacing both the sides would be ideal. I agreed too.
- AC blower is just fine and it can't any better. Cabin filter is clogged. Removing it will improve air flow by 25%. Replacing it will improve air flow by 10-15%.
- Air filter is to be inspected and cleaned. It damaged only then he will replace. Same goes with spark plugs.
- Transmission oil is not to be changed so frequently.
- Rear brake shoes will go a long way. He will open, clean and put them back.
- Engine oil and oil filter to be changed. Mobil 10w30 to be used.

All in all, he was pretty much reluctant to change things unless necessary, even when I was ready to pay for it. I would recommend this garage to people who live in the vicinity of Lingampally. His service centre is located inside BHEL township and he deals in multiple brands.

Final bill was somewhat:

Engine oil - 950
Oil Filter - 150
Lower arms - 1900
Coolant top up - 100
Brake pads - 550
Caliper pins - 240
Cleaning - 350
Labour - 800

Total bill paid: 5000 INR.
He also requested to get the alignment done as the old alignment was with the damaged set of lower arms. I got it done yesterday and paid another 200 INR for it.

And RoadRunner is happy and ready to beep-beep. Odo stands somewhere 384xx kms. The last 2 tankfuls have yielded between 14-14.5 kmpl with 75% AC and 100% city runs.

Last edited by ashis89 : 7th November 2016 at 12:32. Reason: Spell check

Most Viewed