Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2018, 14:15   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

re: An "adopted" Blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR - Update - 8 Years & 81,000 kms

RoadRunner crossed the 58k km mark yesterday. Took more than 2.5 months to cover this 1000 kms. Got the tyres rotated last week after about 8k kms. The Earth 1s have covered 22k kms and barely look used.

I could drive down to Indore and back in the next 10 days. There are also 2-3 potential trips to Bangalore in April-June period. Let's see how it goes.

The last tankful returned 15.2 kmpl, 90% AC and 100% city use.
Old 26th March 2018, 11:22   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

re: An "adopted" Blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR - Update - 8 Years & 81,000 kms

Indore drive never happened due to last moment work at office.

Another tankful done and the FE was 14.62 kmpl (all city running, 100% AC). The RoadRunner is scheduled to be running a lot next week. The route is Hyderabad - Bangalore - Munnar - Kodaikanal - Bangalore - Hyderabad.

The last service was done 3k kms ago. So I got a general checkup done. Engine oil level was good, brake oil was slightly low, coolant level was more towards the lower mark as there was some overflow. Brake oil and distill water was topped up.

I complained of some imaginary suspension noise, weak clutch, brake grinding noise (repeated issue) and asked my FNG owner for a TD. He went on a TD, acknowledged the brake noise and dismissed everything else. However said that brake noise is due to the brake dust and is a known issue in the TVS Girling pads. They don't impact the performance in any way. Green signal to the car to climb the ghat roads.

Odo stands at 58.5k kms.

Last edited by ashis89 : 26th March 2018 at 11:47.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 10:53   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

The RoadRunner ran the following route:

Hyd - Bangalore - Munnar - Kodaikanal - Bangalore - Hyderabad

Total distance covered: 2556 kms
No.of days: 8
Speed: 60-120 kmph (based on road and traffic conditions)

FE
Best: 16.81
Worst: 14.84
Distance between refuel: 250-500 kms
Avg FE: 16.01

Some fuel bunks kept filling beyond auto cutoff. Since I was covering long distances and additional range would help me, I didn't object. FE calculations might be impact by these as well as the quality of fuel. AC was at full speed throughout the trip, except in the hills when it was cold or when there was a need for more power.

Breakdowns: None

Issues: Both the headlamps bulbs fused. I had spares and replaced with the identical Philips Rally 100/90.

Bad roads in Munnar and Kodaikanal meant that the caliper pin noise is back.

I could hear some groaning from the steering when I turned at parking speed. There was some abnormal pulley sound as well during the same time. This was while I was in Bangalore. I tried to check this later on the same day and even after I was back in Hyderabad. Haven't been able to replicate these. I will keep my ears open in this week before going for a checkup over weekend.

Odo stands at 61234 kms. Yokohama Earth 1s never gave a chance to complain anywhere during the trip.

Last edited by ashis89 : 9th April 2018 at 10:55.
Old 13th May 2018, 22:24   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 62000 km update

RoadRunner went past the 62k km mark today. I have to go to Bangalore later this month. Since I will be travelling alone, head says take the bus, but heart yearns for the steering wheel.

It has been ~7k kms since the last service. Haven't decided yet if I would get the service done before or after the above Bangalore run (heart wins most of the times). On the watch list are the following items to be done:
  • Transmission oil change: It was done at 18k mark last time.
  • Gearbox linkage check: Slotting into 1st and 2nd have been notchy at times.
  • Brake bleeding and oil change.
  • Fr. left caliper pin change: The pin noise is back again.
  • Some denting work: Purely optional. Might get it done this time.
  • Suspension check: The suspension feels hard when compared to a new WagonR.

The last three tankfuls have returned 13.99, 13.77 and 17.12 kmpl, full time AC. While the first 2 were within city and the last one was part of my last highway trip and hence the high number.

Fact remains this is a pure city car. Given its light weight, boxy dimension and dynamics, this is not meant for the highways. It is not fuel-efficient on the highways and doesn't have safety features. And yet, I have been taking it on long trips - single lane, double lane, four lane or six lane highways, above 8 different states. The hair pin bends of the hill stations have been covered as well. I keep in mind the above limitations and the RoadRunner has never given a chance to complain.

I had planned to keep running it till 2020 but the lack of safety features has got me thinking about a replacement, in the next 1 year. I am thinking about the Ecosport or Nexon. After driving petrols for a long time, it has to be a diesel for a change. Let's see.

Last edited by ashis89 : 13th May 2018 at 22:29.
Old 29th May 2018, 12:39   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 63000 km update

Last weekend, I took the RoadRunner to Bangalore and back. Took me 8 hrs while going and 9 hrs to return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I replaced the front wipers with Minda frameless ones. Last couple of days, our city has received heavy rains and the wipers are doing a very good job. Rear wiper is holding up and should last another season.
It was raining in Bangalore on the day I reached. I used the wipers and found that the driver side wiper was leaving a water streak. The wipers were also squeaking when the glass was less wet. I feel that due to the building watchman pulling up the wipers daily for 'wiping' the glass, the arms are deformed. These wipers are almost a year old but I was expecting they will last 2 seasons. I will observe for a few more days to see if they soften up or will replace them.

Quote:
BTW, I realised that the car can go 500+ kms between refuels. I covered 553kms before the last bar of the fuel gauge started blinking. All this was with 100% AC and 90-110kmph steady speeds.
On the return leg, I tanked up after leaving Bangalore city. I tried to maintain 90-100 kmph throughout, 100% AC and gentle acceleration. The result is that I have covered 525 kms and there are still 2 bars of fuel left, inspite of getting stuck in Hyderabad traffic for a long time. I am sure the RoadRunner could have covered ~600 on the single tank of petrol. I am yet to tank up and so I don't know the FE figure yet.

The onward journey was pretty brisk. The 2 tankfuls returned 14.97 and 15.17 kmpl. This also included 50 kms in famous Bangalore traffic.

Quote:
Got the armrest fitted over the weekend. Though the quality is not that great, I love the convenience it offers. The bad part is access to the seat belt lock and the handbrake have become tough due to the lack of space between the front seats.
The handrest continues to be a boon although it creaks under load. On the other hand, the door pad rest area is hard plastic and my elbow pains on long drives. I am looking at adding some cushion (pasted onto the plastic) soon.

Quote:
The odo stands at ~458xx kms as of today.
The odo stands at 635xx kms. Almost 18k kms covered in the past 12 months.

RoadRunner has covered 79xx kms since the last oil change. I plan for a major service over the coming weekend. Will also include some cosmetic work if required/possible

Last edited by ashis89 : 29th May 2018 at 12:40.
Old 2nd June 2018, 16:32   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

The previous tankful lasted for 597 kms and still the RoadRunner was not in reserve (the last bar in the fuel gauge was not blinking). 80 odd kms were covered in the city while the rest was on the highway at steady speeds of 90-100 kmph, 100% AC. The FE was 18.65 kmpl, the best till date. It could have been better if a slightly lower speed was maintained.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 12:25   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

The RoadRunner has gone to the FNG for the next service, a major one. The current ODO is 6395x kms. The following work to be performed based on initial examination:

- Engine oil change
- Transmission oil change
- Spark plug change
- Lower arms change (they are shot again)
- Caliper pins change as the caliper noise is back
- Minor denting work
- Repaint of both bumpers

The clutch, engine mounts and shock absorbers were deemed okay. The steering and drive shafts will be inspected once the work starts. I will get an update later today and should be able to collect him tomorrow.
Old 1st July 2018, 20:57   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

And the RoadRunner is back. My FNG didn't disappoint me one bit. The following works were done:

Lower arms (both) - Rs. 3200
Caliper Pins - Rs. 200
Brake pads - Rs. 500
Engine Oil - Rs. 1050
Oil filter - Rs. 100
Spark plugs - Rs. 400
Coolant - Rs. 350
Transmission oil - Rs. 600
Painting - Rs. 3200
Labor charges- Rs. 900

Total bill Rs. 10500.

End result - RoadRunner sounds quieter and the suspension is back to being soft. It runs much smoother and the low end performance has improved. The judder or jerks at low RPM is gone. It pulls much better in the mid-top RPM range. Clutch is softer and the steering is lighter. I am in love with him once again.

Time to pamper him some more. Updates to follow.

Odo crossed 64k kms today. I got the wheels balanced and tyres rotated. The front tyres were more worn out as compared to the rear ones, though the wear is even. Probably the long trip to the hills and some spirited driving did this. Yoko Earth 1s are 28k kms old and I like them a lot.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 20:27   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

I was expecting a much higher bill for the last service of the RoadRunner. What came, was a surprise and so I thought to pamper him a bit more. After all, he is 7 years old now.

I had been contemplating upgrading the music system for quite some time. After consulting people and going through our threads I realized, upgrading the speakers would be the best bet. I drove a local accessories shop, looked through a few models in budget and finally, got 2 pairs of Pioneer TS-G1620S speakers. They were a straight fit in the stock speaker location - one on each door. After the change, the sound is clear through the frequencies. However, the output seems less compared to the earlier speakers.

I would have changed the HU if I could get steering mounted controls. Android Auto would help with navigation but I can't have a touch screen music system without proper physical buttons. So that was ruled out. Another long pending upgrade - a leather wrap for the steering wheel - done.
Old 3rd July 2018, 20:24   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Tanked up today and the FE was 15.5 kmpl. This was 100% city and 60-70% AC over 570 kms (a partial refill was also done, hence the higher range). Since the plugs were replaced in this service, the FE should go down for some time now. I am not concerned for now as I am enjoying the music on the new speakers.

The insurance is due this month and I am getting a quote of 4k which is very good for a 7 year old car.
Old 3rd July 2018, 23:00   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The insurance is due this month and I am getting a quote of 4k which is very good for a 7 year old car.
Lovely.

I owned my "pre-owned" Wagon R from 2006 till 2013.
What a completely no nonsense car it was.

Very happy to see you enjoy the beauty.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 10:41   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

The insurance is due by the end of this month. But since I am travelling for a month, I got it renewed yesterday. Total cost Rs. 4236 for the 8th year of insurance, renewed online on the IFFCO TOKIO website.

Two things contribute to this low premium amount. NCB of 45% gives me Rs.1800 discount. And a Voluntary Excess Less (of Rs.7500) gives me a discount of Rs.1750.

The RoadRunner would lie idle for more than a month as I will be travelling. Once I am back, we plan to go to Goa. Let's see.
Old 17th August 2018, 07:41   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

After being idle for 33 days, the RoadRunner resumed service. 1 single crank and it fired up just like any other day. The current odo is 64320 kms. Next weekend, I am driving to Goa.
Old 3rd September 2018, 11:12   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove to Goa and back last week. The RoadRunner carried me, my wife and luggage for 2 people for a week. Trip stats are below:
  • Total distance: 1850 kms
  • Onward trip was 15 hrs straight run to Goa, 700 kms. One major break for lunch and the rest were small ones for refueling or photography. Return trip was similar distance but took 14 hrs.
  • Roads were good, bad and ugly throughout the trip. No issues except for a bad underbody hit in a nasty pothole on the Chorla ghat.
  • FE for the trip was 16.3, 15.6, 14.7 and 16.8 kmpl, 100% AC. The 14.7 figure was within Goa for the sightseeing trips over 5 days. I still have some petrol from the last fill and will refuel today or tomorrow. This last one should be pretty good it seems.

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-1..jpg
After Belgaun

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-2.jpg
Near somewhere (courtesy Google Maps)

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-3.jpg
Near Bijapur

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-4.jpg
New sticker

I can hear a squeaking sound, probably some belt. Will get it checked next weekend. A couple of minor rattles have also cropped up which can be heard at certain RPMs. No other complaints so far.

The Earth 1s are 30k kms old and a little worn out. But they should last another 15-20k kms. My observation, they wear much faster on the hills (Munnar, Kodaikanal, Goa?). I also had my first puncture with this set, that too within Goa and detected within my resort. There are enough air left and I drove down to the nearest tyre repair shop. 10 mins and 150 INR later, I was on my way.

Odo stands at 66.4k kms as of now.
Old 28th September 2018, 12:29   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

On October 1st, the RoadRunner will complete 3 years of running in Hyderabad (and other adjoining areas). Another 20 kms and it will complete 45k kms during this 3 year period. The next six months might be hectic for him, 10-14k kms to be run if everything goes as per plan.

Nothing else to report except for a couple of squeaks/rattles from the mobile holder and door panels. The Earth 1s have covered 31k kms so far and seem to have worn out faster in the last 10k kms but should last another 10-15k kms. I wanted to replace him with a new car but can't seem to justify the change or find a proper replacement. So plans dropped for at least a year.

Current ODO: 6698x kms.
Last couple of tankful gave 17.5 and 15.5 kmpl, 100% AC.

Last edited by ashis89 : 28th September 2018 at 12:31. Reason: Correcting the ODO number

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks