Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2019, 19:22   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 8 years and 81000 kms update

Yesterday, I took my Roadrunner to my FNG for the pending service. I had prepared a long list of items but as usual with my FNG (it is owned by two brothers), they took turns to do a TD and then turned down half of it saying I was wrong.

1. Engine flush which I bought earlier. Used it and now, I don't see any jerkiness in the power delivery. No other noticeable change so far.

2. Synthetic engine oil which I bought earlier. Used it this time. Will get to know once I use the car for some time.

3. Check and replace the OE rear brake shoes. They were squealing and might be due for replacement. Dismissed as it wasn't reproducible during the TD. Brakes were/are already performing very well.

4. Check and replace wheel bearing(s) which is groaning for the last 500 kms. The sound had somehow decreased/vanished in the past few days. Not sure if the constant rains kept the old bearing wet and lubricated. We couldn't reproduce it during TD or while the car was hoisted on the lift. Kept on watch for now.

5. LHS Caliper pin which seems like a consumable on a Maruti car. FNG suggested to use it as it is through the monsoon and then replace the pin or caliper.

6. Brake and clutch bleeding. Again RoadRunner was behaving very well through the TD and no one felt the need to fix something that ain't broken.

7. Check and replace clutch release bearing as I often get a squeak while releasing the clutch pedal. Unable to reproduce it so no action taken.

8. Air-filter check and replace. Was found to be good and just cleaned.

9. Spark plugs check and replace as the FE has been low. Was found to be good and retained.

10. WB and WA as the new tyres have done 6k kms already. Pending to be done.

The stock clutch was certified to be in good health.

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-car-wash1.jpg

As it has been raining non-stop for the past 4 days, there was no point of washing the car. I got the interiors wiped cleaned and got some water sprayed on the underbody to remove the muck. Total bill - Rs. 600, labor cost for the above and the cost of 1 oil filter.

I had been wanting to add something new to the RoadRunner and had decided to upgrade the ICE. Apple Carplay, Android Auto, navigation, etc. tempted me to get a nice Sony or Blaupunkt touch screen unit. I was on the verge of placing an order for one when I came across an old post of mine on why I avoided touchscreen units. Right on time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I have always preferred a HU with dedicated tactile buttons for all the necessary operations. A touchscreen system is a huge distraction while we are driving..........
Searched again, finalized the Sony WX920BT and saved quite some money compared to my planned budget for this upgrade. The main feature I needed was BT calling and good sound output.

https://www.amazon.in/Sony-WX-920BT-.../dp/B0797G54D2

I ordered yesterday and it arrived early today. Immediately went out and got it installed at an accessories store for Rs. 850.
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-ice-installation.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-ice-tuning.jpg

The head-unit installed and running.
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-stereo-changes-color.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-stereo-another-view.jpg

Currently the color keeps changing but I will try to make it static and make it match with the overall interior color - orange. The sound output has increased drastically but I need to fiddle with the 10 EQs available on the HU and all other features. There's a remote too and I might use it frequently. So far, I feel it was 8k very well spent and will keep me happy with the RoadRunner for a long time.

The ODO reading is kms short of 81k kms! I have a 2000 km trip lined up this month.
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-odo-reading.jpg

Last edited by ashis89 : 4th August 2019 at 19:38.
ashis89 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 17:56   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

re: An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 11 years & 92,000 km up

I was scanning through Amazon when I came across Osram All Season (OAS)100/90W bulbs. The reviews were good and I ordered a pair for 700 bucks. The existing Osram Rallye were perfectly while the spare pair of Phillips Rally were in decent working condition too. So why this 3rd pair of bulbs with the same wattage?

Back when I was a kid, these yellow bulbs were popular. My dad got a pair of Halonix yellow bulbs for the M800 at home. They looked pretty cool and did a splendid job of illuminating the roads, whether it was raining or had fog! Unfortunately, the bulb life was short and once one them died, my dad replaced both with normal bulbs as the Halonix was expensive too. I hadn't forgotten them since those days.

I love those bluish yellow hues
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-all-season-bulbs.jpg

I swapped the bulbs with these new ones. The light is not very yellow as the Halonix ones I remember but they are very good. Definitely better in the rains than the Rally bulbs that I have been using for a few years now. Pictures taken below are not able to portray the yellow tinge of the bulbs.

Fog lamp only
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-fog-only.jpg

Low Beam + Fog
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-low-beam.jpg

High beam + Fog
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-high-beam.jpg

Osram claims better light but lesser life than bulbs so that Rally sets will remain the back ups.

I drove down to Chennai yesterday as part of a 2000+ kms trip to done in 2 weeks. The evening before, I got the RoadRunner an external wash.

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-car-wash-2.jpg

Yesterday, I started at 5:30AM, all alone and reached my destination within south Chennai by 3:50PM. A distance of 703 kms. were covered in ~10.5 hrs. including 3 small breaks and a refueling stop. Maintained low three digit speeds throughout and the FE was 17.5 kmpl with AC.

Since it was raining for the past 2 weeks, I had never used the AC to its full potential and never discovered any issue with it. Yesterday during the trip, the blower speed was too less even at full blast and the air thrown was barely cool. Since I was alone on the trip and it wasn't very hot, I could manage with minimal sweating. The plan was to reach Chennai and get the AC checked. Once I reached Chennai city, the blower was normal and air was cold.. I will observe it for another day before getting it checked.

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-start-odo-reading.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-road.jpg

An eight year young boy
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-roadrun.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-end-reading.jpg

Next is Pondy and Bangalore before the home run to Hyderabad!

Last edited by ashis89 : 11th August 2019 at 18:07.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 10:20   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

re: An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 11 years & 92,000 km up

Parked peacefully in the apartment parking in Chennai. The Breeze Blue color does an awesome job of hiding dirt/dust even when the RoadRunner is dirty. The car had been driven from Hyderabad and also through some rains in Chennai, with no cleaning
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_2544.jpg

Over the Aug 15th weekend, me and my wife went to Pondicherry from Chennai. Took us 2 hrs. each way for the 120 km trip. Given the road is an undivided and has a lot of traffic, it was not a pleasant drive. Overtaking the slow moving trucks was tough because of the oncoming traffic. It has been some time since I had driven a single road and this time I felt the lack of power. The engine was kept on boil throughout the drive and the RoadRunner was at its best. The FE was 15 kmpl (40% city, 80% AC).

Some pics from the trip
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-22465867c29942259c776442406411b4.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-a74e269b8dae4d1182eae6233d55d3aa.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-cd271d15b0094635b27749b268c8c815.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_2605.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_2622.jpg

On the return leg, we started off at 5AM to beat morning traffic in Pondicherry and also early office traffic while entering Chennai. There were a lot of insects flying at that hour and unfortunately, they were plastered throughout the car.

RoadRunner was "bugged"
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_2670.jpg

One fine evening in Pondicherry, we encountered torrential rains. The new Osram All Season bulbs were put to test and fared much better than the Phillips Rally. Because of the warmer light, they scatter less and lit up the road rather than the water droplets. On a dry day, I felt the Rallys were slightly better because of more light.

Last weekend, on Saturday, we bid adieu to Chennai. It was a very short but sweet stay in the city. That meant packing all our bags for the move to Bangalore. This was the main reason for this trip!

RoadRunner was packed to the gills
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_2732.jpg

The 340 km trip, point to point, was accomplished in 6.5 hrs. including a lunch break. The FE was 15.5 kmpl for this trip, 100% AC. On the Chennai to Bangalore route, the roads till Vellore are not in the best of shape but thereafter its very good.

Next day, Sunday, it was home run for RoadRunner, Bangalore to Hyderabad. Started alone from Marathalli at 11AM and reached home 7:30PM. From Devanahalli to Jedcharla, I was maintaining avg. speed of 80 kmph including short breaks.

A short break in front of the KIA factory
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_2755.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_2769.jpg

The new factory looks really neat and organized. I have been driving to Bangalore for the past 4 years and noticed the change coming up in Anantapur and around the KIA factory! This time I saw quite a few speed breakers after we cross the factory, a new service lane and a new bus stop coming up.

Some other route pics. The lush green fields are a sight
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_2775.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_2776.jpg

I tanked up at the Shell petrol bunk outside Bangalore and got this range from the tankful. For the first time, I refueled almost right outside my home in Hyderabad. On all previous instances, I need a refuel before reaching Hyderabad. The FE was 17.6 kmpl with 90% AC.
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_2789.jpg

Final ODO reading stands at 83132 kms
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_2790.jpg

The 2058 km trip was done in 2 weeks' time. Some other pointers from the trip:
  • After the initial AC trouble on the onward leg to Chennai, AC is working flawlessly throughout the trip.
  • Accidentally, I discovered that 35 PSi in the ZLX tyres gives the best comfort.
  • I would rate the grip levels and stiffness of the Yoko Earth 1s 20% better than the MRF ZLX. The MRFs are much more comfortable.
  • The brakes have excellent bite. But the light car means the brakes lock up very easily under hard braking and need a lot of modulation. I faced 3 panic braking situations in the whole trip.
  • The new tyres produce the droning sound on certain road conditions. I had mistaken this to be a shot bearing earlier but my FNG had disagreed. He was right.
  • There's a perceptible change in performance based on number of people/luggage in the car. Performance on Chennai to Bangalore (2 people and loads of luggage) leg felt dragging while the solo legs (Hyd-CHN and BLR-HYD) were the best.
  • I felt the synthetic oil has reduced the engine noise considerably but no other considerable change in performance. That said the car performs very well.
  • The FE for most part was less but the drive was mostly aggressive throughout.

Now the RoadRunner needs a good wash, vacuuming and tyre rotation. I love the RoadRunner in spite of all the flaws. Don't we all do that?
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-5444203cacb84d37bc75022cfa267cd3.jpg

Last edited by ashis89 : 27th August 2019 at 10:30.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 20:41   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

85000 km update

RoadRunner had been doing office-home commutes all through September. No complaints on any front. I never think twice before spending a penny on his maintenance and he hasn't disappointed me ever, in all this 8 years.

One fine day, the RHS headlight was acting wonky. Sometimes the high beam was working while the low beam was not and then after crossing one pothole, the low beam worked while the high was gone. I suspected the relay but it turned out the bulb holder was loose. I fixed it back and all is well now.

I had some work in Bangalore and driving there was the best option. Got the car washed as it was pending since a long time. On October 1st, while returning from office, tanked up the car and got the air pressure set to 35 PSi. Next morning, I started around 6AM and reached the Bangalore home by 2PM. Since the traffic was sparse on account of holiday, I could average 80 kmph even though I maintained 100-110 throughout the drive.

During my stay, I drove through non-existent roads, traffic and lots of rains. End result is this dirty car:
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_3231.jpg

Now that RoadRunner is 8 years young, I tend to be careless with him. One evening, I was parking the car in the apartment compound and ignored the low hanging but thin branches of few plants. I could hear the branches clanging on the roof and roof rail. After few back and forth, I moved the car to the parking lot. I stepped out and saw the stereo antenna was 'lying' lifeless on the roof of the car. One twist and it came off clean. Need to get it replaced.
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_3229.jpg

I use the radio a lot and hence, keep the antenna extended to the maximum. No doubt it got killed in the encounter with those branches.

I drove back to Hyderabad earlier today. Again due to sparse traffic, I could cover the whole 590 kms distance in less than 8 hrs. Throughout the whole trip, three tankfuls returned 17.8 (full highway), 13.7 (full city) and 17 (full highway) kmpl, 100% AC and not too aggressive driving.

When I started today, it was a sunny day
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_3238.jpg

And then it turned all dark accompanied with heavy rains
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_3252.jpg

RoadRunner needs another wash now!

The MRF ZLX tyres have done more than 10k kms now. I was following tyre rotation every 7-8k kms but gave up this time. As mentioned earlier, the ride quality is very good, especially with 35 PSi air pressure. However, the grip levels , both dry and wet, of the earlier Yoko Earth 1s were much better.

To Do:

1. The brake pedal travel has increased and the brake seem to be loosing their bite, relatively. It isn't progressive anymore. Need to get it checked.

2. While refueling at a Shell petrol pump, the attendant checked under the bonnet. Engine and brake oil were good but the coolant level was slightly low. Need to top up.

3. Replace the broken stereo antenna.

4. Denting and painting of few scratches which have been pending for some time now.

The ODO stands at 85050 kms.

Last edited by ashis89 : 8th October 2019 at 20:52. Reason: Adding the to-do list:)
ashis89 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 22:13   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

RoadRunner has been doing city duty and the ODO stands at ~85700 kms. Work and holidays(meaning shutdown of stores) meant I haven't been able to address the open issues so far. This is my only ride and I can't afford much down time except weekends.

Additional issue, apart from the above, that has showed its face is the caliper pin noise which is irritating. Maybe it is another shot lower arm too, which feels like a consumable in my car. And surprisingly it is again the left front wheel. Another item pending is wheel rotation and balancing which is not done since the new tyres were put up, 11k kms ago. The car remains stable and steering is smooth at speeds, so I am not worried.

The FE in the last couple of tankfuls is 13.7 and 13.5 kmpl. In a couple of days, I am getting the delivery of my KIA Seltos D which means RoadRunner will get more breathing space and some much needed TLC. Hopefully, the next update will be about RoadRunner II

Last edited by ashis89 : 30th October 2019 at 22:20.
Old 27th January 2020, 13:30   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

A much needed update for the RoadRunner!

After welcoming Coyote into the family, he has been doing all the heavy lifting while the RoadRunner had been tasked with short errands here and there, 700 kms covered over 3 months! And there were several reasons for it too:

1. RoadRunner ran on petrol with a slightly lower FE.

2. It didn't have a Fastag!

3. It had a broken radio antenna and hence, the radio didn't work.

4. I was out of town whole of December (took Coyote with me).

5. Lying idle, RoadRunner felt rusty during my short drives.

I have never cared about point#1. In the past 2 weeks, I decided and fixed pt. #2, #3 and #5.

The antenna cost me 450 bucks and the radio back in action. However this aftermarket antenna is less receptive than the OE one. I will use it for few more days and then think of replacing it again with an OE one if I am not happy.

Got a Fastag from a booth near Gachibowli ORR entry. Issued by IHMCL and works through their native app. Instead of linking to any bank account (frequent news about bank frauds), I chose to create a pre-paid balance for the tag. Used it today and the tag works!

For pt. #5, I took the RoadRunner to my FNG for an unscheduled service. Even though the last service was 5k kms ago but it was already six months since then. The following work was done - engine oil change, coolant replaced, front brake pads changed (this fixed the caliper noise), spark plugs changed and the car was cleaned inside out.

Total bill - Rs. 4200

Dropped him at the FNG at 11 AM and came back to pick him at 6PM. I don't have any WIP pictures except these ones while he was being cleaned!

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200125_174646.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200125_180001.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200125_180740.jpg

Only pending work - tyre rotation. Hopefully I will get time to do it this weekend.

I added some System G to the tank and happy to note that the throttle response has improved significantly. System G or new spark plugs, not sure who get the credit. That said I came back from a 120 km ORR run and still felt some reluctance in the mid-range. As of today, the ODO stands at 86450 kms and the RoadRunner is still running strong on the stock clutch.

Another major concern for me - lack of parking for two cars. That means RoadRunner is parked on the road every day. So I have decided to let him go. Well not yet, RoadRunner goes but to my parents and to be used by them occasionally. It solves three purposes - my parents have a car at their disposal though they don't actually need one, we children have a car for our use when we go home every 3-4 months (this is the only time when my parents look for a car) and the faithful RoadRunner has a covered parking!

Next week, I drive him home, a 1150 km trip. We might have another 700-800 km round trip before I park him and fly back.
ashis89 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 11:34   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Started Friday and made the Home Run successfully! 1138 kms covered in 25 hrs. including breaks.

ODO @Start
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200207_162725.jpg

ODO @End
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200208_194953.jpg

I had observed some hesitation in power delivery post 3k RPM, the engine wasn't very eager to rev. Added some System G during two refills and things have been improving. I will continue to add some more System G into the next 2 tankfuls while I am using it.

Now the good part - FE through this trip was 18+ kmpl, full time AC. Since I was covering long distances, I preferred filling to the brim on the three tankfuls I needed. On both occasions, RoadRunner had covered identical distance (470 and 475) and gulped similar quantity of unleaded petrol (26.02 and 26.3 lts.). The last tankful is partially used up so far.

Encountered some mild fog and some serious rains along this trip. Headlights and wipers didn't give a chance to complain. However the windshield has a lot of scratches which lead to a lot of glare during night time driving! I discovered them almost two years ago when I had installed the Hella wipers. However, later in September I observed a lot of other scratches in random directions, as if someone cleaned the windshield with Scotch-Brite(seems like a deliberate damage but can't figure out when and where)!

High beam
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200207_193803.jpg

Low beam
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200207_193811.jpg

The new brake pads have bed in properly and are doing a wonderful job. That said, they are a bit overpowering for a light car like WagonR. They shed speed like crazy while the car nose-dives. In two panic situations, I got wheel locks though I was clever enough to modulate the brakes so that I didn't skid for long.

While the clutch isn't slipping at all, the release in lower gears is jerky. Most important, the clutch is hard and gave me severe knee pain in particular stretch where I encountered a lot of traffic. Hence the clutch will be overhauled soon, along with a new accelerator cable (current one is hard compared to the Coyote!). The OE set has lasted long enough now!

Next up are couple of trips which will add another 1k kms or less.

Another boon was the Fastag! Can't thank it enough. The average wait time at toll-gates was less than 2 mins, except for the very last one. It was breeze to cross each toll gate. Total toll paid was Rs. 1285.

Some other pics captured during the trip!

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200207_194513.jpg

Managed to capture the Moon along with the car
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200207_194607.jpg

Parked after crossing Rajahmundry
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200208_062155.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200208_062254.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200208_062346.jpg

After a 4 hour nap in the car. Had some coffee and was fresh enough to drive another 6 hrs/350 kms before the next break
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200208_062449.jpg

Small break to look for some food. Not very lucky there
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200208_121644.jpg

Another short break before Icchapuram
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200208_135924.jpg

Reached Chilika and made the mandatory stop at temple on the hilltop!
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200208_152835.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200208_152910.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200208_153015.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200208_153259.jpg

Rain started right after I crossed Chilika. For the next 100 kms, the intensity increased.
Here I am waiting at a toll gate. The whole place was a mess, with trucks and cars criss-crossing their way through the gates, irrespective of whether they had Fastags or not. Took me a good 15 mins to cross it.
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200208_164435.jpg

Last edited by ashis89 : 11th February 2020 at 11:40.
ashis89 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 17:57   #143
Senior - BHPian

Nice pictures and travelogue. Looks like you did a marathon, solo trip to BBSR

Good to know that Beep Beep has found a new home and that you are now using Wile E. Congrats for that!

The picture of the Godavari after Rajamundry leads me to believe that you might have used the 4th bridge? Is that correct? If yes, how was the road?
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 21:59   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

88500 km update

Did a short trip to Puri, Konark and back. Four of us and luggage for 1 night and even that was a tight fit in the small boot! Apart from that, no complaints at all. AC was doing a good job on a rather hot day.

Next trip was to Baripada and back. I removed the rear parcel tray and that increased the boot space. Again four of us and RoadRunner was back to doing what it does best, run through the highways and maintain steady pace through the trip. On the return leg, we were just two of us and as usual, the car was brisk. FE for both the trips, along with some local errands had 16.5 kmpl.

I added System-G to every alternate tankful of petrol since the time I had started from Hyderabad. I could see the results, the driveability has improved a lot and engine doesn't feel strained anymore.

Did a lot of local city errands and I was so happy to squeeze through the traffic. Those tight lanes were a breeze for RoadRunner!

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200220_045316.jpg

Lot of swirls and scratches on the windscreen
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200220_051058.jpg

Gave him a nice wash and a bit of waxing too before I headed back.

After 2000+ kms since the last service, the oil looks new. Amaron is going to complete three years of flawless service. In the engine bay, only a waterpump, the belt and the AC expansion valve has been changed till date
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200222_130922.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200222_131403.jpg

The central armrest has withstood all the abuse so far. Still creaks when you press but has been rattle free while on the move. A real boon for me, both in the city and highway. Given the compact dimensions, I rest my left elbow on the armrest, right elbow on the driver door armrest and still comfortably hold the steering
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200222_131413.jpg

Upgrading the HU and the speakers were worth it. I feel the sound quality of the RoadRunner is much better than Coyote (though the sound insulation of the latter changes the whole equation)
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200222_131425.jpg

The leather steering cover was another worthy upgrade. I just love the feel of the leather. No wear on it so far
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200222_131512.jpg

Front lower arms have been changed and the rear shocks too (as one of them was leaking). Everything else is stock so far
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200222_144416.jpg

MRF ZLX tyres are about 15k kms old and are a decent performer. Grip levels of the Yoko Earth 1s were way better but were way stiffer
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200222_144431.jpg

Look closely towards the left and you can see the damage those Hella wipers did to the windscreen
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200222_145004.jpg

A special mention about the 100/90W bulbs fitted on the RoadRunner. They light up the road and I don't think twice before doing all night drives. The reflectors don't show any damage at all
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200222_160905.jpg

How different can these two cars be? (No, I don't know who owns that yellow monster)
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20200222_184350.jpg

Odo stood at 88500 km when I returned.

Four years ago, when I and a BHPian friend drove the RoadRunner to Hyderabad, BHPian Unavowed_X9 was monitoring our trip progress and giving us road updates throughout. Once we reached Hyderabad, Unavowed_X9 exclaimed that '2121' is officially redeployed at Hyderabad. Today I can say that RoadRunner is redeployed back at my parent's duty now. Next update will take some time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Nice pictures and travelogue. Looks like you did a marathon, solo trip to BBSR
Yes sir, this was my fifth Hyd-BBSR without a night halt, three of which have been solo.

Quote:
Good to know that Beep Beep has found a new home and that you are now using Wile E. Congrats for that!
RoadRunner enjoys my parents' company now and should see the BBSR city roads most of the time. Things will turn exciting whenever I go home and we both run away on the highways!

Quote:
The picture of the Godavari after Rajamundry leads me to believe that you might have used the 4th bridge? Is that correct? If yes, how was the road?
I think you mistook the dense fog. I had parked beside some agricultural fields to enjoy the view. As for the route, I stuck to the highway 16 only.
Old 27th July 2020, 12:18   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

No news is good news

After leaving him with my parents, RoadRunner has seen very little action. It was expected to have low usage but this pandemic induced lockdown means it has run <200 kms since end of February when I saw him last. Good part, he is giving my parents good company, no complaints!

I had lost track of time. Had been ignoring a lot advertisement SMSs on my phone and I almost missed a reminder from IFFCO TOKIO until earlier today. I realized RoadRunner was due for insurance renewal before end of July. Even though I was getting cheaper options on online websites, I stuck to IT policy and renewed on their website. Took the max. possible IDV for this 10th year renewal.

IDV: Rs.150120

OD premium: 3832
Voluntary Excess discount: 958
NCB (50%): 1437

TP premium: 2072
GST: 632

Total premium: Rs.4141
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 20:23   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

89000 km update!

RoadRunner is 9.5 years old now.

Back at home, due to Covid lockdown and lack of use as such, it had run <500 kms since the time I left him with my parents. In this time, it had undergone a routine service at MASS (unnecessary but my father thought of getting it done as the car had been idle for a long time).

Also in this time, it has picked up lots of new small scratches everywhere. Few stray cats and a couple of small kids nearby must have made it their playground.

Since Dec 1, I am home and have been taking him around the city. Must say, I always catch hold of the WagonR keys and avoid the Seltos at all costs if I am going within the city.

Compact, airy and excellent visibility all round, what more can I ask? Also given the power, I can rev the K10 engine happily whereas the CRDi diesel is a task to drive in choc-a-bloc traffic. On a long drive, I prefer the bigger brother.

Observations

1. Steering is surprisingly heavier than the Seltos.

2. Knocking sound from the front suspension, maybe another lowerarm or caliper pin on the way out

3. Can hear a slight knocking sound from the steering on bad roads and a turn. Maybe the steering box bushes need replacement too

4. Stock clutch still soldiers on without any sign of giving up. Even MASS gave it a thumbs up. With 1 or 2 occupants and AC on, it can still clear smaller speed breakers in 2nd gear

5. Brakes, suspension are doing their job pretty well

6. Engine was hesitant to rev and felt jerky at higher RPMs. After driving around for couple of hundred kms, it is opening up. Engine mounts also seem to be giving up

7. The buzzer/speaker of the security system gave up and needs replacement

9. Lot of rattles around the cabin, something which we all learnt to ignore

8. Upgraded ICE system is a joy to hear and help in drowning the rattles!

9. The steering wheel cover has started peeling off. It wasn't genuine leather after all!

10. After using the HIDs on the Seltos, I miss the throw of high beam in the 100/90 halogen setup of the WagonR

11. AC and all other electricals are working as expected

When there was a drain being constructed in our neighborhood and our parking was inaccessible for good 4 weeks, I left Coyote at my uncle's place but kept the RoadRunner around, parked on the road and covered in kilos of dust. Old and compact, we could leave it astray and beckoned for emergency runs.

This is how it looked during one of my errands
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-pxl_20210109_063503792.jpg

Once the road was ready for use, I got him in, gave a nice wash and it was back in business sharing the parking with the bigger brother. I have got him a new Josapu duster for cleaning as our area is dusty as such

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-pxl_20210110_060738193.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-pxl_20201220_075436322.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-pxl_20201220_103854965.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-pxl_20201220_103515038.jpg

Genuine leather my foot!
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-pxl_20201228_084044092.jpg

As of today, ODO stands at 89250 kms
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-pxl_20201229_070247576.jpg

Last edited by ashis89 : 24th January 2021 at 20:24.
ashis89 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 15:19   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

10 years and 90000 kms up!

This July, the RoadRunner completes 10 years! It's with my parents and I don't have the exact numbers but the ODO has just crossed 90,000 km mark.

The insurance was due later this month and I renewed it today, lest I forget.

IDV: Rs.135101

OD premium: 2155
Voluntary Excess discount: 431
NCB (50%): 862

TP premium: 2072
PA Cover: 325
GST: 586

Total premium: Rs.3845
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 01:49   #148
BHPian

Hi ashis89, I am amazed by the fact that you have kept this thread up-to-date even though there has been no audience interaction lately. Keep up the good work. This is my first post since I have become a Team-Bhp member, so if I do make some error while writing this, feel free to correct me. My dad owns a 2012 WagonR VXi model and it has run 25000km in 9 years. I know, it's very less as my dad is a bike enthusiast. Recently, I turned 18 and have started using the car. The problem I am facing with the car is that it's AC performance is below average. I live in Mumbai and even though it's monsoon period right now, I still feel the lack of cooling. Is there any solution to it?
Pedalmasher_20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 14:59   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedalmasher_20 View Post
My dad owns a 2012 WagonR VXi model and it has run 25000km in 9 years. I know, it's very less as my dad is a bike enthusiast.....The problem I am facing with the car is that it's AC performance is below average. I live in Mumbai and even though it's monsoon period right now, I still feel the lack of cooling. Is there any solution to it?
I'm not OP, but perhaps the simplest thing you could do is to check if the car warrants a battery change. That in itself would improve the AC performance by a significant margin. Cheers!
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 15:08   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedalmasher_20 View Post
Keep up the good work
Thank you!

Quote:
My dad owns a 2012 WagonR VXi model and it has run 25000km in 9 years.
--SNIP--
The problem I am facing with the car is that it's AC performance is below average.
Has the car's AC been serviced in the recent past? Check two things.

1. Check the condition of the evaporator coil. It gathers dust over time which has a major impact on cooling. It needs a wash/clean-up with water. While at it, get the blower cleaned up too. It also gathers dust, leaves etc. with time.

2. Check the gas level and top-up if necessary. For a low run car, gas level can go down due to non-usage.

These are periodic maintenance and a good AC mechanic do it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
I'm not OP, but perhaps the simplest thing you could do is to check if the car warrants a battery change. That in itself would improve the AC performance by a significant margin. Cheers!
Battery shouldn't have any major impact on the AC performance. If any, the user can notice other symptoms of weak battery such as hesitancy during cranking, dimming lights and weak horn.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks