Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 4th August 2019, 19:22   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 8 years and 81000 kms update

Yesterday, I took my Roadrunner to my FNG for the pending service. I had prepared a long list of items but as usual with my FNG (it is owned by two brothers), they took turns to do a TD and then turned down half of it saying I was wrong.

1. Engine flush which I bought earlier. Used it and now, I don't see any jerkiness in the power delivery. No other noticeable change so far.

2. Synthetic engine oil which I bought earlier. Used it this time. Will get to know once I use the car for some time.

3. Check and replace the OE rear brake shoes. They were squealing and might be due for replacement. Dismissed as it wasn't reproducible during the TD. Brakes were/are already performing very well.

4. Check and replace wheel bearing(s) which is groaning for the last 500 kms. The sound had somehow decreased/vanished in the past few days. Not sure if the constant rains kept the old bearing wet and lubricated. We couldn't reproduce it during TD or while the car was hoisted on the lift. Kept on watch for now.

5. LHS Caliper pin which seems like a consumable on a Maruti car. FNG suggested to use it as it is through the monsoon and then replace the pin or caliper.

6. Brake and clutch bleeding. Again RoadRunner was behaving very well through the TD and no one felt the need to fix something that ain't broken.

7. Check and replace clutch release bearing as I often get a squeak while releasing the clutch pedal. Unable to reproduce it so no action taken.

8. Air-filter check and replace. Was found to be good and just cleaned.

9. Spark plugs check and replace as the FE has been low. Was found to be good and retained.

10. WB and WA as the new tyres have done 6k kms already. Pending to be done.

The stock clutch was certified to be in good health.

An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-car-wash1.jpg

As it has been raining non-stop for the past 4 days, there was no point of washing the car. I got the interiors wiped cleaned and got some water sprayed on the underbody to remove the muck. Total bill - Rs. 600, labor cost for the above and the cost of 1 oil filter.

I had been wanting to add something new to the RoadRunner and had decided to upgrade the ICE. Apple Carplay, Android Auto, navigation, etc. tempted me to get a nice Sony or Blaupunkt touch screen unit. I was on the verge of placing an order for one when I came across an old post of mine on why I avoided touchscreen units. Right on time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I have always preferred a HU with dedicated tactile buttons for all the necessary operations. A touchscreen system is a huge distraction while we are driving..........
Searched again, finalized the Sony WX920BT and saved quite some money compared to my planned budget for this upgrade. The main feature I needed was BT calling and good sound output.

https://www.amazon.in/Sony-WX-920BT-.../dp/B0797G54D2

I ordered yesterday and it arrived early today. Immediately went out and got it installed at an accessories store for Rs. 850.
An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-ice-installation.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-ice-tuning.jpg

The head-unit installed and running.
An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-stereo-changes-color.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-stereo-another-view.jpg

Currently the color keeps changing but I will try to make it static and make it match with the overall interior color - orange. The sound output has increased drastically but I need to fiddle with the 10 EQs available on the HU and all other features. There's a remote too and I might use it frequently. So far, I feel it was 8k very well spent and will keep me happy with the RoadRunner for a long time.

The ODO reading is kms short of 81k kms! I have a 2000 km trip lined up this month.
An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-odo-reading.jpg

Last edited by ashis89 : 4th August 2019 at 19:38.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2019, 17:56   #137
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up

I was scanning through Amazon when I came across Osram All Season (OAS)100/90W bulbs. The reviews were good and I ordered a pair for 700 bucks. The existing Osram Rallye were perfectly while the spare pair of Phillips Rally were in decent working condition too. So why this 3rd pair of bulbs with the same wattage?

Back when I was a kid, these yellow bulbs were popular. My dad got a pair of Halonix yellow bulbs for the M800 at home. They looked pretty cool and did a splendid job of illuminating the roads, whether it was raining or had fog! Unfortunately, the bulb life was short and once one them died, my dad replaced both with normal bulbs as the Halonix was expensive too. I hadn't forgotten them since those days.

I love those bluish yellow hues
An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-all-season-bulbs.jpg

I swapped the bulbs with these new ones. The light is not very yellow as the Halonix ones I remember but they are very good. Definitely better in the rains than the Rally bulbs that I have been using for a few years now. Pictures taken below are not able to portray the yellow tinge of the bulbs.

Fog lamp only
An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-fog-only.jpg

Low Beam + Fog
An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-low-beam.jpg

High beam + Fog
An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-high-beam.jpg

Osram claims better light but lesser life than bulbs so that Rally sets will remain the back ups.

I drove down to Chennai yesterday as part of a 2000+ kms trip to done in 2 weeks. The evening before, I got the RoadRunner an external wash.

An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-car-wash-2.jpg

Yesterday, I started at 5:30AM, all alone and reached my destination within south Chennai by 3:50PM. A distance of 703 kms. were covered in ~10.5 hrs. including 3 small breaks and a refueling stop. Maintained low three digit speeds throughout and the FE was 17.5 kmpl with AC.

Since it was raining for the past 2 weeks, I had never used the AC to its full potential and never discovered any issue with it. Yesterday during the trip, the blower speed was too less even at full blast and the air thrown was barely cool. Since I was alone on the trip and it wasn't very hot, I could manage with minimal sweating. The plan was to reach Chennai and get the AC checked. Once I reached Chennai city, the blower was normal and air was cold.. I will observe it for another day before getting it checked.

An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-start-odo-reading.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-road.jpg

An eight year young boy
An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-roadrun.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-end-reading.jpg

Next is Pondy and Bangalore before the home run to Hyderabad!

Last edited by ashis89 : 11th August 2019 at 18:07.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2019, 10:20   #138
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up

Parked peacefully in the apartment parking in Chennai. The Breeze Blue color does an awesome job of hiding dirt/dust even when the RoadRunner is dirty. The car had been driven from Hyderabad and also through some rains in Chennai, with no cleaning
An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-img_2544.jpg

Over the Aug 15th weekend, me and my wife went to Pondicherry from Chennai. Took us 2 hrs. each way for the 120 km trip. Given the road is an undivided and has a lot of traffic, it was not a pleasant drive. Overtaking the slow moving trucks was tough because of the oncoming traffic. It has been some time since I had driven a single road and this time I felt the lack of power. The engine was kept on boil throughout the drive and the RoadRunner was at its best. The FE was 15 kmpl (40% city, 80% AC).

Some pics from the trip
An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-22465867c29942259c776442406411b4.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-a74e269b8dae4d1182eae6233d55d3aa.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-cd271d15b0094635b27749b268c8c815.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-img_2605.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-img_2622.jpg

On the return leg, we started off at 5AM to beat morning traffic in Pondicherry and also early office traffic while entering Chennai. There were a lot of insects flying at that hour and unfortunately, they were plastered throughout the car.

RoadRunner was "bugged"
An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-img_2670.jpg

One fine evening in Pondicherry, we encountered torrential rains. The new Osram All Season bulbs were put to test and fared much better than the Phillips Rally. Because of the warmer light, they scatter less and lit up the road rather than the water droplets. On a dry day, I felt the Rallys were slightly better because of more light.

Last weekend, on Saturday, we bid adieu to Chennai. It was a very short but sweet stay in the city. That meant packing all our bags for the move to Bangalore. This was the main reason for this trip!

RoadRunner was packed to the gills
An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-img_2732.jpg

The 340 km trip, point to point, was accomplished in 6.5 hrs. including a lunch break. The FE was 15.5 kmpl for this trip, 100% AC. On the Chennai to Bangalore route, the roads till Vellore are not in the best of shape but thereafter its very good.

Next day, Sunday, it was home run for RoadRunner, Bangalore to Hyderabad. Started alone from Marathalli at 11AM and reached home 7:30PM. From Devanahalli to Jedcharla, I was maintaining avg. speed of 80 kmph including short breaks.

A short break in front of the KIA factory
An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-img_2755.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-img_2769.jpg

The new factory looks really neat and organized. I have been driving to Bangalore for the past 4 years and noticed the change coming up in Anantapur and around the KIA factory! This time I saw quite a few speed breakers after we cross the factory, a new service lane and a new bus stop coming up.

Some other route pics. The lush green fields are a sight
An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-img_2775.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-img_2776.jpg

I tanked up at the Shell petrol bunk outside Bangalore and got this range from the tankful. For the first time, I refueled almost right outside my home in Hyderabad. On all previous instances, I need a refuel before reaching Hyderabad. The FE was 17.6 kmpl with 90% AC.
An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-img_2789.jpg

Final ODO reading stands at 83132 kms
An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-img_2790.jpg

The 2058 km trip was done in 2 weeks' time. Some other pointers from the trip:
  • After the initial AC trouble on the onward leg to Chennai, AC is working flawlessly throughout the trip.
  • Accidentally, I discovered that 35 PSi in the ZLX tyres gives the best comfort.
  • I would rate the grip levels and stiffness of the Yoko Earth 1s 20% better than the MRF ZLX. The MRFs are much more comfortable.
  • The brakes have excellent bite. But the light car means the brakes lock up very easily under hard braking and need a lot of modulation. I faced 3 panic braking situations in the whole trip.
  • The new tyres produce the droning sound on certain road conditions. I had mistaken this to be a shot bearing earlier but my FNG had disagreed. He was right.
  • There's a perceptible change in performance based on number of people/luggage in the car. Performance on Chennai to Bangalore (2 people and loads of luggage) leg felt dragging while the solo legs (Hyd-CHN and BLR-HYD) were the best.
  • I felt the synthetic oil has reduced the engine noise considerably but no other considerable change in performance. That said the car performs very well.
  • The FE for most part was less but the drive was mostly aggressive throughout.

Now the RoadRunner needs a good wash, vacuuming and tyre rotation. I love the RoadRunner in spite of all the flaws. Don't we all do that?
An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-5444203cacb84d37bc75022cfa267cd3.jpg

Last edited by ashis89 : 27th August 2019 at 10:30.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2019, 20:41   #139
Senior - BHPian

Default 85000 km update

RoadRunner had been doing office-home commutes all through September. No complaints on any front. I never think twice before spending a penny on his maintenance and he hasn't disappointed me ever, in all this 8 years.

One fine day, the RHS headlight was acting wonky. Sometimes the high beam was working while the low beam was not and then after crossing one pothole, the low beam worked while the high was gone. I suspected the relay but it turned out the bulb holder was loose. I fixed it back and all is well now.

I had some work in Bangalore and driving there was the best option. Got the car washed as it was pending since a long time. On October 1st, while returning from office, tanked up the car and got the air pressure set to 35 PSi. Next morning, I started around 6AM and reached the Bangalore home by 2PM. Since the traffic was sparse on account of holiday, I could average 80 kmph even though I maintained 100-110 throughout the drive.

During my stay, I drove through non-existent roads, traffic and lots of rains. End result is this dirty car:
An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-img_3231.jpg

Now that RoadRunner is 8 years young, I tend to be careless with him. One evening, I was parking the car in the apartment compound and ignored the low hanging but thin branches of few plants. I could hear the branches clanging on the roof and roof rail. After few back and forth, I moved the car to the parking lot. I stepped out and saw the stereo antenna was 'lying' lifeless on the roof of the car. One twist and it came off clean. Need to get it replaced.
An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-img_3229.jpg

I use the radio a lot and hence, keep the antenna extended to the maximum. No doubt it got killed in the encounter with those branches.

I drove back to Hyderabad earlier today. Again due to sparse traffic, I could cover the whole 590 kms distance in less than 8 hrs. Throughout the whole trip, three tankfuls returned 17.8 (full highway), 13.7 (full city) and 17 (full highway) kmpl, 100% AC and not too aggressive driving.

When I started today, it was a sunny day
An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-img_3238.jpg

And then it turned all dark accompanied with heavy rains
An "adopted" blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR. EDIT: 8 years & 81,000 km up-img_3252.jpg

RoadRunner needs another wash now!

The MRF ZLX tyres have done more than 10k kms now. I was following tyre rotation every 7-8k kms but gave up this time. As mentioned earlier, the ride quality is very good, especially with 35 PSi air pressure. However, the grip levels , both dry and wet, of the earlier Yoko Earth 1s were much better.

To Do:

1. The brake pedal travel has increased and the brake seem to be loosing their bite, relatively. It isn't progressive anymore. Need to get it checked.

2. While refueling at a Shell petrol pump, the attendant checked under the bonnet. Engine and brake oil were good but the coolant level was slightly low. Need to top up.

3. Replace the broken stereo antenna.

4. Denting and painting of few scratches which have been pending for some time now.

The ODO stands at 85050 kms.

Last edited by ashis89 : 8th October 2019 at 20:52. Reason: Adding the to-do list:)
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2019, 22:13   #140
Senior - BHPian

RoadRunner has been doing city duty and the ODO stands at ~85700 kms. Work and holidays(meaning shutdown of stores) meant I haven't been able to address the open issues so far. This is my only ride and I can't afford much down time except weekends.

Additional issue, apart from the above, that has showed its face is the caliper pin noise which is irritating. Maybe it is another shot lower arm too, which feels like a consumable in my car. And surprisingly it is again the left front wheel. Another item pending is wheel rotation and balancing which is not done since the new tyres were put up, 11k kms ago. The car remains stable and steering is smooth at speeds, so I am not worried.

The FE in the last couple of tankfuls is 13.7 and 13.5 kmpl. In a couple of days, I am getting the delivery of my KIA Seltos D which means RoadRunner will get more breathing space and some much needed TLC. Hopefully, the next update will be about RoadRunner II

Last edited by ashis89 : 30th October 2019 at 22:20.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote