Team-BHP - An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/150062-adopted-blue-eyed-boy-pre-owned-maruti-wagonr-edit-13-years-96000-km-sold-5.html)

Congratulations ashis89 on getting married. It's a very well documented thread & I really enjoyed reading it.
If I am right the service interval for Wagon R is 10000 kms. But I have been seeing you getting it serviced much before that which is not required.
Hope you enjoy your return journey to Hyderabad.
Cheers
visky

Quote:

Originally Posted by visky (Post 4229769)
Congratulations ashis89 on getting married. It's a very well documented thread & I really enjoyed reading it.

If I am right the service interval for Wagon R is 10000 kms. But I have been seeing you getting it serviced much before that which is not required.

Hope you enjoy your return journey to Hyderabad.

Cheers

visky

Thank you Visky. Yes, the service intervals are 10k kms but I get it done at around 8k+ kms each time as I tend to rev the engine a lot and feel a premature oil change might be better.

We started from Bhubaneswar on 26th June, stopped for the day at Rajahmundry and finally reached Hyderabad the following evening, the 27th. The RoadRunner breached the 49k km mark enroute. Encountered a lot of rains on the first day but RoadRunner didn't disappoint at any point in time.

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499615744.696603.jpg
Packed to the brim, all luggage secure
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499615794.642087.jpg
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499615824.215692.jpg
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499615966.437830.jpg
Lunch break somewhere on the road
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499616051.469810.jpg
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499616245.555444.jpg
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499616314.822844.jpg
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499616367.645913.jpg
Parked over at Hotel Anand Regency
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499616428.916815.jpg
After crossing Rajahmundry
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499616559.126804.jpg
Mud coated

We reached my apartment around 5:30pm. My apartment's watchman gave a disapproving at my car and insisted to wash it immediately
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499616666.315426.jpg
Ready for a wash by the watchman of my apartment
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499616716.554399.jpg
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499616845.275140.jpg
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499616887.252067.jpg
After the wash with Motomax shampoo, RoadRunner was gleaming
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499616950.108950.jpg
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499617005.145342.jpg
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499617033.268513.jpg
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499617064.784087.jpg
The odo after the complete run

I flew to Indore on 4th and returned the same day. Drove to the airport and parked RoadRunner from 4am to 11pm at the airport. The charges were 300 bucks and the experience was hassle free.

Hello Ashish, congratulations for getting married, pardon me for hijacking this thread. I have replaced my 2009 Alto (96k kms) about a month back with a new Wagon R Vxi(O).

I have been facing a few problems with the correct tyre pressure. According to the tyre placard near the drivers door, the cold tyre pressure is 36/36psi (front/rear). But I observed a lot of vertical movement in the car even at speeds below 80kmph. The bounciness did not reduce even after dropping the pressure by 3-4psi. Just wanted to know if excessive vertical movement and lateral movement on uneven roads is common to all Wagon R's. The car is on stock Apollo 3G's 155/65 R14.

Also, does the neck cushions help to cut down the excessive lateral movement of the neck. I commute for 70-80km/day, used to suffer from mild lower back pain in the Alto after a long drive, but it appears the pain moved northwards towards the neck due to the excessive vertical movement and lateral movement of the tallboy on uneven roads.stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 (Post 4231647)
Hello Ashish, congratulations for getting married, pardon me for hijacking this thread. I have replaced my 2009 Alto (96k kms) about a month back with a new Wagon R Vxi(O).

Thank you. Congratulations on your purchase and wish you many happy miles in it. I am glad you went in for the option pack as I myself feel the need of ABS in this car.

Quote:

I have been facing a few problems with the correct tyre pressure. According to the tyre placard near the drivers door, the cold tyre pressure is 36/36psi (front/rear). But I observed a lot of vertical movement in the car even at speeds below 80kmph. The bounciness did not reduce even after dropping the pressure by 3-4psi. Just wanted to know if excessive vertical movement and lateral movement on uneven roads is common to all Wagon R's. The car is on stock Apollo 3G's 155/65 R14.
WagonR is known to be bouncy at speed and rolls quite a bit. Maybe I have grown accustomed to the car but I don't feel uncomfortable at speeds upto 120ish on uneven roads like Hyderabad ORR. Must mention that I get to drive a Baleno quite frequently and for long distances. I don't feel very odd when I return to the WagonR thereafter. On the other hand, due to my experience with WagonR, driving the Thar in Hyderabad also doesn't feel vast different from the dynamics point of view.lol:

Please maintain 31/32 psi for city use and 32/33 for highways. This is the best balance for comfort and gives good FE. I upgraded the tyres to 165/65 R14 Earth 1s and it has been a very good decision. You might think about doing this upgrade.

Quote:

Also, does the neck cushions help to cut down the excessive lateral movement of the neck. I commute for 70-80km/day, used to suffer from mild lower back pain in the Alto after a long drive, but it appears the pain moved northwards towards the neck due to the excessive vertical movement and lateral movement of the tallboy on uneven roads.stupid:
Neck cushion has been helpful to a certain extent and gives some support to the neck during long drives. Try to find the most relaxing driving posture for yourself and see if it makes any difference. For me, the driver seat is pushed back to its limit (I am 6ft tall) and the seat is slightly more reclined. I have done more than 100 kms of in-city driving on multiple occasions and I was satisfied by the experience.

Even I get lower back pain when I drive an Alto or my friend's Baleno for long distances due to the low seating but haven't faced neck pain in my car. This is something as I have a tendency of neck pain when I ride a two-wheeler.

If you still have doubt, you can drive another WagonR to see how it behaves on similar roads. You can try my car if you like.:)

My Wagon R VXI is also on stock size Apollo Amazer 155/65 R14.

But as far as I remember, according to stickered placard in my car, recommended cold tyre pressure is 33/33psi (front/rear).:confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoscenario2000 (Post 4231686)

But as far as I remember, according to stickered placard in my car, recommended cold tyre pressure is 33/33psi (front/rear).:confused:

Even I vaguely remember seeing 33/33 as the recommended pressure in my 2011 WagonR. Could it have been revised upwards in the latest models? Since mechanically the car is near identical since 2011, I think it could another FE increasing trick. A similar discussion is going on in the following thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-pressure.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashis89 (Post 4231683)
Congratulations on your purchase and wish you many happy miles in it.
If you still have doubt, you can drive another WagonR to see how it behaves on similar roads. You can try my car if you like.:)

Thanks. IMHO, since you have more experience of a Wagon R, it would be better if you drive my vehicle. Will let you know if the issue persists beyond bearable limits, so that you can TD my vehicle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoscenario2000 (Post 4231686)

Please see the tyre placard on the new Wagon R. Pardon me for the poor quality snap.
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-img_20170711_211039212.jpg

The odo is on the verge of crossing the 50k mark. RoadRunner ran more than 3.5k kms in June of which 3k kms were highways. I figured out the FE was lower in my home-town than what I am getting here, for 100% city use. The reason is RoadRunner is able to stretch its legs frequently, even though it is for short distances. Early morning or late evening runs plus the relatively low traffic density in my locality (Nallagandla) during the day, aid in improving FE by 1 KMPL.

I realized that the tyres hadn't been rotated since they were installed, 14k kms ago. Long due. Got them balanced, rotated and aligned yesterday. I can hear a thunk from the front left(?) shock absorber. Will get those checked when I give the car for a wash.

Another item due is insurance, by end of July. Will get it renewed from Iffco Tokio online as I found that the premium was not much different from others.

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1500957715.107683.jpgAn "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1500957729.437611.jpg

After 6 years of running on the road, RoadRunner crossed the 50k mark on 22nd July, 2017 and stands at 50150 as of today. In the first 51 months, the running was 22k kms. Sometimes the running was as low as a 100 odd kms per month and used to serve beautifully as a 100% city run about.

Last 21 months have been different story altogether. RoadRunner has seen rare few leisure days; maybe 50 days at max when he could rest in peace. On all other days, he had to run distances from 1 km/day to as high as 1200+ kms/day. No complaints so far. Work commitments mean the highway trips are not very frequent. But he does get to stretch his legs on the Hyd ORR once every couple of weeks at least.

Couple of issues that I can foresee - a clunky noise from the front left suspension and a clutch which is slowly becoming harder (slightly harder, not an issue yet).

On Sunday, while on the ORR, I realized that the engine is much more lively in the 4th gear and pulls well past the ton mark very happily. Till date, I was conservative and used to shift to fifth around 70-90 kmph mark. The tyre balancing/alignment work is also flawless.

Before embarking on my long trip in June, I had filled a bottle of Abro fuel injector cleaner into the tank. I did get better FE but no other remarkable difference. However, I observed that the response in the 2nd gear had improved a lot and the RoadRunner pulled away in 2nd in places where I thought 1st would be required. Now, after returning back (2.5k kms later), I feel the 2nd gear response has dulled to a significant extent. Maybe it's time for another bottle.

Last time I complained about a slightly hard clutch and since then, I feel the clutch has become much softer and easier on the leg. The gearshifts are still hard on most days but are magically smooth shifting on rare few days. These are ordinary days with same driving condition on the same route and yet the change is significant. Maybe RoadRunner has a mood of its own.

I replaced the interior front roof lamp bulb with an LED one. The rear lamp bulb is much longer and hence, a LED bulb didn't fit in there. So I have got a spare bulb now.

I found the headlight intensity was also a bit inadequate when I faced oncoming traffic. The RoadRunner was managed just fine during the all night drive to Bhubaneswar. The stock bulbs are Philips 60/55W bulbs which were amazing and I had never upgraded to keep the reflectors safe.

Headlamps lose their shine due to lack of proper cleaning and exposure to sun. I have been observing a slight dullness in the headlamp outer covers. So I decided to put the old reflectors at risk by upgrading the headlamp bulbs. I always prefer bright yellow light to the beautiful looking white light from halogens/projectors/LEDs. I wanted to try XENCN bulbs in 2300k temp range but finally stuck to Philips Rally 100/90W along with Philips relay. The results are very good.

On both the old bulbs, I could see fogging on the bulb glass near the high beam filament (which is used 90% of the time).

The last tankful returned 15.3 kmpl, 95% AC and 100 city use. The current odo reading stands at 5096x kms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashis89 (Post 4252476)

The last tankful returned 15.3 kmpl, 95% AC and 100 city use. The current odo reading stands at 5096x kms.

Hi Ashish,

You have diligently updated your thread. I own a 2012 WagonR Vxi and am a couple of 100 Kms short of 40000. My car is used mainly in Bombay city. Very recently the Government has started work on a Metro railway construction on my daily office route leading to huge traffic snarls and My FE has dropped to 12 KMPL. Initially I used to get 13-14 KMPL on the same road. Could you please elaborate on the city traffic conditions that you drive through ?

Regards
Dieseltuned

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieseltuned (Post 4252540)
Hi Ashish,

You have diligently updated your thread. I own a 2012 WagonR Vxi and am a couple of 100 Kms short of 40000. My car is used mainly in Bombay city. Very recently the Government has started work on a Metro railway construction on my daily office route leading to huge traffic snarls and My FE has dropped to 12 KMPL. Initially I used to get 13-14 KMPL on the same road. Could you please elaborate on the city traffic conditions that you drive through ?

Regards
Dieseltuned

Hi,

My daily commute is 10.5 kms one way. It takes me 30-70 minutes to cover this journey in morning (more on rainy days). It takes 20-40 mins for the return journey as I tend to leave early. I get short stretches of ~2-3 kms where I can do 60-80 kmph. This constitutes ~70% of the run in each tankful. Rest is covered in short errands of 3-5 kms on relatively empty roads or airport runs on outer ring road (6 lanes of fast moving traffic, speeds of +/- 100 kmph maintained throughout). Monthly running is roughly 1k kms.

Some pointers:

- The car and the AC keep running while waiting in jams or signals.
- Gear changes done between 2-4k rpms, 3k being the favorite spot.
- I leave early for office and home to avoid traffic as much as possible.
- The car returns 1 kmpl in my home town which doesn't have traffic jams as such but the traffic is slower moving.

Hope this helps in some way.

Regards,
Ashis

Last two tankfuls returned 15.5 and 14.4 kmpl respectively. I cover 400+ kms between each tankful and fill up with the last 1-2 bars are there on the fuel gauge. The current odo reading is 51475 kms. Off late, I am getting stuck frequently and for much longer duration at traffic jams and signals.:Frustrati

After enduring lots of rains, mud and a bit of water wading (~1 ft of water), RoadRunner got a full wash last Saturday at my FNG. I also got the clicking sound checked which I thought was coming from the front shock absorbers. Alas, I was wrong. It seems the steering rack (or column) is slowly getting damaged and would need to be replaced. He asked me to keep using it for some more time until the sound increases and then we can replace it.

Estimate given is 3-4k for the job. I blame the pathetic roads in Hyderabad and my lack of apathy while driving. The roads have just too many potholes and I am lazy/impatient to slow down at each of them. I am planning to get it done once the monsoon is gone and the roads are repaired.

Took my RoadRunner on a trip to Srisailam on Saturday. On my past 2 visits to the holy place, I used to return the same day (~480 kms round trip). But this time round, my mother and my grandmother went with me and it would have been tiring and hectic for them. So decided to stay overnight in Srisailam.

Left Hyderabad at 8:30 in the morning and reached by 12:30 after travelling non-stop. We had lunch and took some rest. In the evening, we joined the arati at the temple and then came back to retire for the day. Sunday morning, we left Srisailam around 8:45am after having breakfast and had reached by 12:45pm. The roads are very good throughout except for small patches near the Srisailam dam.

The FE for the trip was 17+ KMPL (100% AC) and the whole trip was covered in a single tankful of petrol. RoadRunner came back to the same fuel bunk (~2km from my apartment), where I had tanked up to the brim the previous day, for another tankful of petrol. There was still enough petrol to cover another 70-80 kms when I tanked up.

In the last tankful, RoadRunner had returned 13 KMPL, 100% city and AC. RoadRunner had ran through some of busiest roads in the city in these days. For perspective, I covered 100 kms in the city in two days and took 9+ hrs to do so.

I have also maintained 30-31 psi tyre pressure instead of the recommended 33 for the last 2 weeks. I wanted softer ride while my ma and grandma are here. Will be getting it increased to 32 this week. The Yoko Earth 1s have covered 15k kms so far and are keeping me very happy.

Odo- 5235x kms

During the last trip to Srisailam, I heard some rough screeching sound from the front brakes under hard and frequently braking. I got it checked today and we found the front right brake pads had turned hard, brittle with traces of dust. Though these are barely 14k kms, 1 year old and had their whole life left, not sure why they deteriorated so quickly. Got the complete set changed today. Both, the old and the new pads were by TVS.
Cost 700 INR.

An impromptu trip to Indore-Bhopal and back, is planned starting tomorrow. Will be driving alone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 (Post 4231647)
According to the tyre placard near the drivers door, the cold tyre pressure is 36/36psi (front/rear). But I observed a lot of vertical movement in the car even at speeds below 80kmph. The bounciness did not reduce even after dropping the pressure by 3-4psi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashis89 (Post 4271792)
I have also maintained 30-31 psi tyre pressure instead of the recommended 33 for the last 2 weeks.

I got the tyre pressure checked today and it was 28 psi.:D I must say the ride was very smooth in the past few weeks. I have covered >1k kms in these circumstances, including a trip to Srisailam with ghat sections enroute. The FE was good (a drop of 1kmpl) and no sluggishness was observed. Price of this good ride is very low and I was tempted to continue with this pressure but thought better of it. Tyres are inflated to 32 psi now.