Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2015, 12:04   #91
BHPian

30K service update

30K service done at Pinnacle Skoda, Thrissur. Small facility but a refreshing change from Marikar Kochi.

There was a noise from the front suspension and they said the link rods need to be changed. They were not in stock though and will take two weeks to arrive.

The noise from the right rear view mirror was temporarily solved by some lubricant spray. It is back now.

They sneaked in the useless AC disinfectant treatment in the bill under value added services. Except for that the overall experience was above average.

Total Labour : 3473₹
Parts, oil etc : 8499₹
Total Bill came to 12,831₹ including 858 ₹. for the disinfectant.

The diesel, oil and pollen filters were replaced.

My Skoda Octavia Ambition, TDI DSG-skoda-30k-service-bill-1.jpg
My Skoda Octavia Ambition, TDI DSG-skoda-30k-service-bill-2.jpg

The Yokohama Decibels have done 4k kms now and are performing admirably. Unfair comparison but noise levels are way too low when compared to the 25k run Goodyears. Grip levels are pretty good too.
joethomasv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 15:20   #92
Team-BHP Support

Re: 30K service update

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
30K service done at Pinnacle Skoda, Thrissur. Small facility but a refreshing change from Marikar Kochi.
Thanks for the update. Is this is full-fledged showroom, or a satellite service centre of the Calicut showroom?
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 15:25   #93
BHPian

Re: 30K service update

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Thanks for the update. Is this is full-fledged showroom, or a satellite service centre of the Calicut showroom?
I think this is a satellite service centre. They don't have a showroom but the SA said they are building one at Mannuthi byepass.
Old 18th November 2015, 15:43   #94
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Skoda Octavia Ambition, TDI DSG

Quote:
The oil temperature sensor is very much there in my car but I just couldn't find the option to display it.
Joe, read this - Oil Temperature on the maxidot cluster

Any idea if you tried this when you had the cable with you?

I enabled the option and even got the oil temperature option on the MFD but was getting a warning flashing on the MFD. Figured out later when the car was up on a ramp that since there's no sensor on the 1.6 TDI.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 09:45   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Any idea if you tried this when you had the cable with you?
I think when I tried, that option didn't show up in the VCDS. The entire service interval options were missing. Not too sure now though.
Old 2nd September 2016, 14:14   #96
BHPian

Unmarked speed breakers are evil

A few months back the car hit an unmarked speed breaker (a big one). It was at night and the visibility was low due to rains. I didn't notice any damages except for a small tear on the under-body lining towards the centre.

A few weeks after that, (long after I forgot about the speed bump jumb) I noticed a humming noise coming from the front whenever the car went over 50kmph. It increased when steered to the left. The Pinnacle service guys diagnosed it as a wheel bearing failure and ordered the part.

After 2 weeks of wait, the service guys at Thrissur said the part is probably in back order and that they have no idea when it is supposed to come. They also said that Manikandan Skoda service has opened. I cancelled the order and decided to try my luck at Manikandan especially because they had called a few months back and requested for a meeting as I was on some 'dissatisfied customers list'! Called up Manikandan and to my shock, they said they are not fully operational yet and does only basic service now. Parts availability are very very limited.

I tweeted to Rohin Nagrani about this when Skoda was having a press meet. That worked. I got a call from Pinnacle and this time they did a thorough inspection. The speed breaker had done some serious damage. The front left drive axle and an alloy were damaged. The parts were ordered and after two weeks, they were replaced along with tie rod end, wheel bearing, link rod etc. Total damage : 64,777/- for parts alone.

The humming noise is gone now. As a bonus, I now have a spare tire with a slightly bent OE alloy.

Skoda Front axle, alloy replacement bill.pdf

Last edited by joethomasv : 2nd September 2016 at 14:15.
joethomasv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 20:21   #97
BHPian

54k kms done and the compressor has started complaining. There's a rattling sound when the AC is turned on and off. Manikandan Skoda said it needs to be replaced. Planning to do just that for the next service.

The Yoko Decibels are doing just fine, they should be good for another 5k kms. 29k kms done so far.

For the 45,000 km service, I think Skoda did the ECU remap. The bottom end seems to have improved quite a bit, especially during ghat drives. The car is pathetic on the highways though.
I think I can live with this state of tune. This is perfect for Kerala roads with all the speed cameras.
Old 13th April 2017, 20:54   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

For the 45,000 km service, I think Skoda did the ECU remap. The bottom end seems to have improved quite a bit, especially during ghat drives. The car is pathetic on the highways though.
I think I can live with this state of tune. This is perfect for Kerala roads with all the speed cameras.

You're one optimistic person! Kudos to you!

But, and its a big one. Howcome your ECU was remapped? The emission scandal concerns older EA189 engines not the new EA288 if I am correct.

If you do feel the car is performing poorly pls take it up to them.

Regarding AC, if your warranty is expired, you'll be better off with a third party fix for the compressor. It will cost under 10K to fix without any replacements. Happy motoring!
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 21:07   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
You're one optimistic person! Kudos to you!
I hear Petes only charge 19k for a remap now. So that option is always there.

Quote:
But, and its a big one. Howcome your ECU was remapped? The emission scandal concerns older EA189 engines not the new EA288 if I am correct.

If you do feel the car is performing poorly pls take it up to them.
The initial throttle response actually improved after the 45k service. There was a lag between 2nd and 3rd when going up ghat roads. That seems to have disappeared now.

I noticed the lack of top end power only last month when I did a Coorg-Mysore-Coimbatore round trip. I'm not sure about the remap but there's definitely a change in power delivery.

Quote:
Regarding AC, if your warranty is expired, you'll be better off with a third party fix for the compressor. It will cost under 10K to fix without any replacements. Happy motoring!
Thankfully I still have a year more. But if the replacement under warranty requires the car to be with them for more than a few days I think I'll get it repaired somewhere else. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited by joethomasv : 13th April 2017 at 21:08.
Old 14th March 2018, 19:02   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry if I missed it but have you sold off the car? Why no updates?

Just stumbled on your link rod noise issue. I think mine are also on these way out at 30k. Did you change them finally and how much were they?
Old 16th March 2018, 10:30   #101
BHPian

Compressor replaced under warranty at 60k kms

Got the 60k service done a few months back. Replaced the compressor and drier under warranty. Also changed all the brake pads, the front brake discs along with a link rod. The brake pads lasted 60k kms

The car started showing ABS warning messages intermittently last month. Even the parking sensor and the DSG acts up when the sensor fails. Replaced the rear right ABS sensor under warranty.

The second battery packed up at exactly 2 years, 5 days before the warranty ran out. So luckily got a free replacement from Exide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Just stumbled on your link rod noise issue. I think mine are also on these way out at 30k. Did you change them finally and how much were they?
Sorry about the lack of updates. I'm not selling the Octy for another 2-3 years. it's done around 68k kms now.

The link rods were changed twice, once at 30k and then at 60k. They were 1897 each, excluding tax the first time and 1730 the second. Replaced only 1 the second time.
joethomasv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 12:23   #102
BHPian

Re: Compressor replaced under warranty at 60k kms

Quote:

Sorry about the lack of updates. I'm not selling the Octy for another 2-3 years. it's done around 68k kms now.
Hi,

Can you please share further updates on your ownership as i am evaluating options and your thread has been very helpful.
Old 19th September 2018, 20:53   #103
BHPian

75k up, water pump and front ABS sensor changed

75k service was done last month along with a water pump and timing belt change. There was an intermittent noise and they traced it to the water pump. Unfortunately, the timing belt and tensioner need to be replaced too.

Post on Official Octavia review thread

They didn't have the parts in stock so it took a couple of weeks to get it fixed. A week or two after getting the car, ABS, ESC and the power steering warning lamps lit up all of a sudden.

Link to post on Official thread

The rear parking sensor and the DSG was acting up too, exactly like when the rear ABS sensor failed. The power steering warning was new. The steering was also a little harder. Called up service and apparently, these are the symptoms of the front ABS sensor failure. I got it fixed yesterday and the error disappeared.

The only logical reason I can think of that connects the ABS, power steering, DSG and the parking sensors is the auto parking feature. But then, the one that comes in the Octy doesn't brake automatically AFAIK. Nor does it change gears.

After 4.5 years and 75k kms, I'm still in love with the car. Service quality has gone up leaps and bounds. Skoda now handles the 3rd and 4th year warranty. They were outsourcing it to insurance companies before which lead to unnecessary delays in the claim process. Also looks like Skoda has managed to keep the dealers on a tight leash. The one in Kochi at-least.

When it comes to Skoda, you have to add the compressor, ABS sensors, water pump and probably the DSG to the list of consumables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
Can you please share further updates on your ownership as i am evaluating options and your thread has been very helpful.
I'm glad you found the thread useful. Good luck with your decision making.
joethomasv is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 10:03   #104
BHPian

Nice ownership thread Joethomasv. The only thing I couldn't come into terms with this car is the rear torsion beam suspension. But that's not really a problem with everyone. I can see that you are thoroughly enjoying the car. Hope you get time to keep this thread updated. Your updates are very useful.

Quote:
Remove the engine cover and you'll be surprised to see the number of Audi logos you find in there. That makes you happy and scared at the same time. Happy because you paid only half the money, scared because all those parts are going to cost the same as the Audi's.
My Skoda Octavia Ambition, TDI DSG-1photo-210314-3-00-47-pm.jpg
Well Indeed. Here is a pic of my A3's engine bay which has the same 2.0 TDI engine. Can you spot at least one difference?

My Skoda Octavia Ambition, TDI DSG-img_7891.jpg
Flyer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 15:26   #105
BHPian

Thanks for the kind words, Flyer. The rear torsion beam is one of the things I love about the car. It can take some serious beating. It doesn't complain a bit when fully loaded and keeps the car planted. I'm probably missing out on the fun factor though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Can you spot at least one difference?

Attachment 1800257
Found one
My Skoda Octavia Ambition, TDI DSG-diff-2.jpg

Jokes apart, they do look identical. Reminds me of this youtube video:
joethomasv is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed