Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2014, 13:12   #16
BHPian

Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DS

Isn't the park pilot quite accurate? My earlier drive had a rear cam + sensor which I miss, but my parking plus system works quite flawlessly. However a rear cam would have been absolute peace of mind !!
Old 13th May 2014, 13:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Attachment 1239800
Now is this a gimmick? or is it really helpful? I am talking about the yellow area of guidelines which is interactive, with the steering input, supposed to help us park easier, but how? better Skoda could have given the self park feature which is optional in the UK version.
You can contact VAG Tune for the PLA Parking Unit. They are awaiting the Codings for the same. It is the very same self park feature available on the International variant.

P.S. I am in talks with them for the same, since the car is on a newer platform and new codes are being used, they are in process of getting the coding done for the same. I shall keep you posted on the same once I am updated about it, if you want.
Old 13th May 2014, 18:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
You can contact VAG Tune for the PLA Parking Unit. They are awaiting the Codings for the same. It is the very same self park feature available on the International variant.

P.S. I am in talks with them for the same, since the car is on a newer platform and new codes are being used, they are in process of getting the coding done for the same. I shall keep you posted on the same once I am updated about it, if you want.
Since I am in Ahmadabad, I don't think I will be driving up to Cochin anytime soon, but when I do, I am coming with all my credit cards! I am definitely considering the VRS Steering. To think of it, PLA is not as practical in India eh? Have you seen the New Superb's tail light cluster? They have LEDs all round and even the reverse light bulbs are white LEDs like ones offered by Mercedes-Benz. It looks amazing, hope Skoda folks can have them fitted in my Octavia during next service visit. Dude I am seriously jealous of your car's colour But don't you think the exhaust could have been louder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by microaubin View Post
Isn't the park pilot quite accurate? My earlier drive had a rear cam + sensor which I miss, but my parking plus system works quite flawlessly. However a rear cam would have been absolute peace of mind !!
It seems accurate no doubt, but I am talking about the guidelines, that change with the steering input, do we really need them? Yes definitely it would have been useful, had the car been equipped with 360 degree cameras like the Range Rover! Surely miss a reverse cam though, it would be good to see someone offer one like in the Passat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Superb review with stunning pics, in black it looks absolutely stunning.
Man 16+kmpl from a 1.8L petrol which has 180 horses is absolutely brilliant. Hats off to VAG/Skoda engineers.
Absolutely agree! I used to get awesome figures with the Laura TDI DSG as well, easily in the 25 km/l range if driven carefully, and I had a lot of fun with that car to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Congratulations Adi!

The color is absolutely stunning.! White and black seem to be the stand out colors on the new Octavia. I hope you had no issues with the sunroof as discussed earlier before your buy. Also did read few of the issues you were facing with the car, I sincerely hope those shall be the last. Congrats once again. Wish you miles of safe and trouble free ownership.
I take a deep breath everytime I start the car, hoping nothing will go wrong in the drive, and have to put sincere thoughts before commencing a long trip! but thankfully no issues since the early times, and its smooth-as-silk to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Smashing!! The way you started the thread with your experience.
Mods, please make a note on how the photographs have been taken & ensure such a quality pics in our Official review threads too? (Applies to some photos only)
Lovely photographs mate. Simple & Elegant.

And you have already clocked 11K in 6 months. So you are already enjoying it. And it doesn't make any sense wishing you, when you are already happy. Keep us updated at regular intervals. Thanks for sharing.
Truly smashing it was Can't get that horrific sight out of my mind still. Shows how unsafe are state highways in India, with open slots for anyone to enter, change lanes and so on. Will do my best to keep updating the thread regularly.
Old 13th May 2014, 18:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-spee...

Current update, a few more mentions. Recent trip of a 137 kms gave this mileage.
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-imageuploadedbyteambhp1399985064.236749.jpg

Various options in the MID very easily controlled via scroller buttons, tactile feel appreciated by all!
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-imageuploadedbyteambhp1399985082.202671.jpg

Audio display on the MID. You can only change tracks, not choose them.
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-imageuploadedbyteambhp1399985216.587591.jpg

Telephone display, you can choose a call from your dialled list, accept call, reject calls, mute calls too!
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-imageuploadedbyteambhp1399985232.138073.jpg

Cruise control is the maximum used feature for me!
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-imageuploadedbyteambhp1399985285.909527.jpg

If you keep the knob in this position, the LHS mirror will dip in reverse, and again come back to set position as you drive off.
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-imageuploadedbyteambhp1399985300.043896.jpg

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 13th May 2014 at 18:32. Reason: syntax
adi_petrolhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 18:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-spee...

Super write up and real good pictures Adi. Good to see you enjoy the car(touch wood) after the horrid time you went through with fuel quality issues( I followed that thread).
Black has always been my choice and your car looks extremely classy.

Can't figure out why the car squeaks and rattles so much(I hate these). ORVM rattle seems unique to you car or do all octavia's have this problem?

Hope Skoda works on their after sales. I would have loved to buy the Octavia but for all the horror stories.

All the very best and keep us posted.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 13th May 2014 at 18:36.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 19:10   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely agree! I used to get awesome figures with the Laura TDI DSG as well, easily in the 25 km/l range if driven carefully, and I had a lot of fun with that car to be honest.
Your mileage figures always makes me sad, I went with TDI because my usage is more but 16+kmpl from a 180 horses engine is absolutely mind blowing. My entire calculations will go in water if 1.8 gives 16+ and not to forget the tons of extras in elegance variant. What will be figures for 1.4 ? 18+?
Old 13th May 2014, 19:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Your mileage figures always makes me sad, I went with TDI because my usage is more but 16+kmpl from a 180 horses engine is absolutely mind blowing. My entire calculations will go in water if 1.8 gives 16+ and not to forget the tons of extras in elegance variant. What will be figures for 1.4 ? 18+?
Is your usage more Highway based or City based? The TDI should give you an overall mileage of 16 km/l which is perfect. The 16+ km/l that I achieve is only on highways. Combined FE for the TSI 1.8 is about 14 km/l.
The 1.4 TSI should give you 17+ km/l on the highway with a combined FE of 15 km/l.
Next time try driving on the highway for about 100 kms, and if there is no traffic and the car is at a steady speed of say 100 km/h, it will definitely return about 20 km/l.
Old 13th May 2014, 19:54   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Is your usage more Highway based or City based? The TDI should give you an overall mileage of 16 km/l which is perfect. The 16+ km/l that I achieve is only on highways. Combined FE for the TSI 1.8 is about 14 km/l.
The 1.4 TSI should give you 17+ km/l on the highway with a combined FE of 15 km/l.
Next time try driving on the highway for about 100 kms, and if there is no traffic and the car is at a steady speed of say 100 km/h, it will definitely return about 20 km/l.
Yes it gives 16+ even after avg speed of 98km/hr, most difficult part is to drive sedately, almost impossible due to the highly addictive torque and turbo kick. It gives 19+ on light foot driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-1399991139158.jpg  

Old 14th May 2014, 09:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-spee...

Quote:
Since I am in Ahmadabad, I don't think I will be driving up to Cochin anytime soon, but when I do, I am coming with all my credit cards! I am definitely considering the VRS Steering. To think of it, PLA is not as practical in India eh? Have you seen the New Superb's tail light cluster? They have LEDs all round and even the reverse light bulbs are white LEDs like ones offered by Mercedes-Benz. It looks amazing, hope Skoda folks can have them fitted in my Octavia during next service visit. Dude I am seriously jealous of your car's colour But don't you think the exhaust could have been louder?
Thankfully, we have an installer here. Autopsyche is the authorized installer / dealer for VAG Tune Products.
I saw the LEDS on the Superb's tail light the other day and was awed by them. It will be too tough to retrofit LEDs in the Octavia i suppose. If it can happen, I would be the next in line to get it done ( Will let you be the Guinea Pig for this one )

My vRS steering with paddle shifts should not take very long ( expected next week or so). Will keep you posted on the same.

And yes, the exhaust should have been louder plus should have had a good design muffler visible. Being hidden away takes away the sportiness just that lil bit, don't you think so?

As for the colour, it does make the people jealous . After seeing my colour, I have seen 2 BMWs getting the same colour wraps for their cars. ( one being a 6 series, other a 5). It does turn heads everytime, I take it for a drive.

Quote:

If you keep the knob in this position, the LHS mirror will dip in reverse, and again come back to set position as you drive off.
Attachment 1240444
I find this worthless if not parking in very tight spots. I have turned off this feature from the Infotainment.
Old 14th May 2014, 09:25   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally the ownership thread is up. Congrats Adi on the black beauty. After owning the DSG Laura the new Octy and the Jetta are the only real options in the Sub 25 Lakh category. Black looks regal on the car and in my view the car looks best in Black. The 1.8 TSI is a gem and paired with the 7 speed DSG, I can only imagine how potent the combination must be.

It was nice to read a Laura owner's perspective on the car. You really loved your Laura didn't you? Sad to see those opening pictures.

Quote:
[*]Concerns related to Fuel quality. Since I have already had a fuel pump change in the car, it means I have to be super careful while choosing a bunk to fill up petrol. 91 octace fuel is not easily available, and there is no foolproof method of testing fuel quality before filling up
Adi all petrol sold in the country is 91 octane. 89 or 87 octane is a thing of the past. Only other higher octane option is Speed 97. Do try it if you are able to get it. 97 Octane is like red bull to the 1.8 TSI

Quote:
[*]Steering sharpness is something only VW and Skoda have mastered other than Merc and BMW. The steering is absolutely finger light in the city, at speeds below 60-70 kph. As you pick up speed, the steering is also good to hold, a little broad though for my taste. The steering weighs up precisely as you pick up speed, and even the slightest of correction is spot on![*]Suspension does a great job on the highways, but I can hear the tyre slotting in a puddle or a pothole, while passing through it at higher speeds. The tyres are not that great at all. Wish I had swapped them on day one, now will have to wait till I completely exhaust the life out of them. I am super confused which ones to buy, Michelin or Pirelli? Yokohama's are not on my list, have used only Yokohama's so far but I want something better.[*]From tyres comes the Handling, and surprisingly it is just that 5% less confidence inspiring than that of my old Laura. I don't know why, this car is lighter and all, but the sheer confidence is a miss. It surely feels lighter to drive, on the efforts to make a u-turn, etc. but the overall emergency maneuvers and braking is spot on.
The longer wheelbase takes away some fun from the driving dynamics. The Laura is very chuckable due to its short wheel base.

I'd say junk those Goodyears right away. You've paid 20L for the car. Spend another 50K and get some good Michelin rubber. It'll really elevate your drive experience.

Quote:
[*]All the bluh-blah about 180 ps power, I don't know how many hp this engine really makes, while running on Indian fuel. So I am assuming it must be running at least 10 hp lower than the original tune up.
Its actually designed for 95 Octane. Though it will run fine on 91 octane, it will result in slight reduction in power. This engine is not detuned as such for Indian fuel. In the new 1.8 TSI the peak torque is delivered across a wider range, hence the power rating is up. In the Laura TSI peak torque of 250 NM was delivered from 1,500 RPM to 4,500 RPM whereas now it is spread across 1,250 RPM to 5,000 RPM. Since power (HP) is a function of torque and RPM, peak power has gone up. But really when the 1.8 TSI first came out, people were saying that 160 PS really feels more like 200 PS because of the unreal diesel engine like torque .

Quote:
[*]It sure is not a guzzler when it comes to petrol. It's very economical when you drive sedately, so that's completely dependent on your driving style. What figures are others getting here?[/list]
I am really quite amazed at the fuel efficiency that you are getting. This despite yours being an AT. The best I have managed in my Laura TSI MT is 16 kmpl and that was just one early morning extremely sedate mileage conscious drive. If I average 74 kmph I get about 12 to 13 kmpl. I am guessing cruise control is helping efficiency. With the manual stick, its hard to resist flooring the throttle and letting it rip.

Enjoy the car and wish you long and happy ownership experience.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 14th May 2014 at 09:49.
Old 14th May 2014, 11:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-spee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Black looks regal on the car and in my view the car looks best in Black. The 1.8 TSI is a gem and paired with the 7 speed DSG, I can only imagine how potent the combination must be. It was nice to read a Laura owner's perspective on the car. You really loved your Laura didn't you? Sad to see those opening pictures.
Thanks! Gem of an engine it is indeed, and hopefully, gearbox won't act up like it used to in earlier models fitted with DQ200 (7 speed DSG). Loved my Laura is an understatement. Whenever I see one on the road, I become nostalgic.

Quote:
Adi all petrol sold in the country is 91 octane. 89 or 87 octane is a thing of the past. Only other higher octane option is Speed 97. Do try it if you are able to get it. 97 Octane is like red bull to the 1.8 TSI
Pls pardon my ignorance on that. We don't have many good BP fuel bunks, only Indian Oil. They offer Xtra Premium, now what Octane would that be? Skoda has strictly warned me against filling up with additive based fuels.

Quote:
The longer wheelbase takes away some fun from the driving dynamics. The Laura is very chuckable due to its short wheel base.
Laura's handling can be compared with Mercs and BMWs. Octavia is not exactly the same, longer wheelbase is only by about 90 mm I guess over the Laura. I haven't been throwing the car around though. Highway stability is top class!

Quote:
I'd say junk those Goodyears right away. You've paid 20L for the car. Spend another 50K and get some good Michelin rubber. It'll really elevate your drive experience.
I think I'll wait for some time. My running is very high, and in another six months or so I'll easily breach 25000 kms. Immediately then, tyres will be changed. How do you feel about Pirelli and Continental? How silent are the Michelins? I haven't seen anything as silent as the Yokohama dbv550 which were on my Laura (there I am nostalgic again )

Quote:
Its actually designed for 95 Octane. Though it will run fine on 91 octane, it will result in slight reduction in power. This engine is not detuned as such for Indian fuel. In the new 1.8 TSI the peak torque is delivered across a wider range, hence the power rating is up. In the Laura TSI peak torque of 250 NM was delivered from 1,500 RPM to 4,500 RPM whereas now it is spread across 1,250 RPM to 5,000 RPM. Since power (HP) is a function of torque and RPM, peak power has gone up. But really when the 1.8 TSI first came out, people were saying that 160 PS really feels more like 200 PS because of the unreal diesel engine like torque .
I had driven a Laura TSI when I was about to buy the Laura. It pulled like hell! And the noise was far more pleasing than the new engine in the Octavia. Its not that the Octavia doesn't pull as good, but the shock wave of torque is absent. I actually like that on a regular basis, as the constant torque shoves are a bit tiring if you run 400-500 kms every week. Wish we had a dyno-test facility here somewhere, to find out the exact power figures for our rides.

Quote:
I am really quite amazed at the fuel efficiency that you are getting. This despite yours being an AT. The best I have managed in my Laura TSI MT is 16 kmpl and that was just one early morning extremely sedate mileage conscious drive. If I average 74 kmph I get about 12 to 13 kmpl. I am guessing cruise control is helping efficiency. With the manual stick, its hard to resist flooring the throttle and letting it rip.

Enjoy the car and wish you long and happy ownership experience.
But your car is TUNED! So the figures you are getting are normal with the tune up aren't they? 200 PS and 12-13 kmpl is very very good in my opinion. What would a BMW 328i deliver you think? much lesser I am sure.

Quote:
Thankfully, we have an installer here. Autopsyche is the authorized installer / dealer for VAG Tune Products.
I saw the LEDS on the Superb's tail light the other day and was awed by them. It will be too tough to retrofit LEDs in the Octavia i suppose. If it can happen, I would be the next in line to get it done ( Will let you be the Guinea Pig for this one ). My vRS steering with paddle shifts should not take very long ( expected next week or so). Will keep you posted on the same.
I have ordered License Plate LEDs from Superskoda.com Lets see how good are those, expensive at 42 Euros though. Lucky you have someone to perform these mods. By the way, I can then come to Delhi, much closer and could be a short two day trip! Do share your complete buying, fitting and using experience of the VRS steering.

Quote:
And yes, the exhaust should have been louder plus should have had a good design muffler visible. Being hidden away takes away the sportiness just that little bit, don't you think so?
I really would have liked it. The actual mufflers on the VRS model sold abroad are SICK! Would pay up to 10 grands if someone can professionally modify the rear bumper to accommodate that neat, meaty and angular muffler tip.

Quote:
I find this worthless if not parking in very tight spots. I have turned off this feature from the Infotainment.
I use it only when I really need it. Otherwise I keep the knob in the '0' or 'R' position.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 14th May 2014 at 11:13. Reason: missed out some content.
Old 14th May 2014, 11:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Lucky you have someone to perform these mods. By the way, I can then come to Delhi, much closer and could be a short two day trip! Do share your complete buying, fitting and using experience of the VRS steering.
I will post the entire details on my thread as soon as I get it done

It will be great if you would drive down to Delhi, will try to meet you up also.

Quote:

I really would have liked it. The actual mufflers on the VRS model sold abroad are SICK! Would pay up to 10 grands if someone can professionally modify the rear bumper to accommodate that neat, meaty and angular muffler tip.
I guess that would mean modifying the entire bumper. I would stay away from it as it would definitely hamper the stealth look, Unless off course, the entire VRS bumper and muffler is available as a clip-on.
Old 14th May 2014, 11:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:

It seems accurate no doubt, but I am talking about the guidelines, that change with the steering input, do we really need them? Yes definitely it would have been useful, had the car been equipped with 360 degree cameras like the Range Rover! Surely miss a reverse cam though, it would be good to see someone offer one like in the Passat.
Personally I feel the guidelines are pretty good for judgement once you understand the distances. Yeah the beeps sure drive you crazy!!
Old 14th May 2014, 12:18   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice review, Adi! The Octy is quite a looker and looks like yours has every bell and whistle you could possibly need!
Quote:
The 16+ km/l that I achieve is only on highways. Combined FE for the TSI 1.8 is about 14 km/l.
My Vento 1.6 NA petrol that produces 103 ps power returns a highway average of 15 kmpl and regular running FE of 11 kmpl approx. Used to be pretty proud of that (my Swift delivers around 12 kmpl) but am very impressed by the TSI numbers.
As Adi mentioned, higher speeds don't seem to matter much to these Germans, between 80-100 you get very good FE numbers, which dip slightly when you go over that speed. But the worst in my car is when you stay in low gear (1st/2nd) where is becomes an absolute gas guzzler, I get numbers like 6 kmpl regularly in South/Central Mumbai traffic.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 12:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the classy black Skoda. Looks much more menacing than your previous white. As much as I love Skoda's design for their Laura and Octavia's I just can't make up my mind to invest in the Czech maker and probably never will. Not much of a risk taker myself. Atleast not on one which costs some 2 odd million rupees

I somewhat agree to your Vento ride quality perception. I'd double GTO on how he put it on the Official Vento Review thread. "The ride is "Compliant" and NOT plush" unlike other competitors.

Anyway, here's what you would want to hear from a fellow Bhpian - Wish you a trouble free ownership! Stay safe.

Most Viewed