Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2015, 11:05   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry to hear about this. But frankly, I would not absolve the mods so easily. Short circuits very often arise due to overloading of electrical circuits. Even a plug and play steering or tail light might draw more power than what the vehicle is designed for. In fact, that is the biggest risk with most unbranded electrical products. So it is quite possible that what happened was due to that. It could also be a combination of factors - may be a circuit had been overheating, and something they did during service led to that triggering a fire. I don't think you are in a position to fight here - since any mod, especially with unofficially sourced parts, creates a risk and invalidates the warranty. Your best choice is to be as nice as possible, emphasise that you have been a loyal customer, and hope for the best. Take care. Once the vehicle is repaired, do try and test if there is any additional load being placed due to the mods you did - an engine compartment fire could have ended with far more serious consequences.
Hayek is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 17:43   #182
BHPian

It has been more than a week. Any update?
rutvij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 09:18   #183
Senior - BHPian

I don't feel like updating because there is nothing noteworthy to update. Mechatronic was ordered but according to dealer it came in a damaged condition. This was one week ago. Since then there is no update, I just sent an email to Skoda and even they have no clue what is the status of the part dispatch and ETA at the dealer's end. I feel like giving up, I no longer care when I will get that phone call telling me to pick up the car. I have other important things to attend to and I definitely won't waste precious time being anxious about a car. Will update as soon as I hear anything new. Meanwhile I would recommend all Octavia owners to come forward who also face niggling issues like ORVM noises and sunroof rattles, suspension noises, etc. I always feel I am alone in this fight against the Skoda mafia.
Old 2nd September 2015, 09:20   #184
Team-BHP Support

re: Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I don't feel like updating because there is nothing noteworthy to update. Mechatronic was ordered but according to dealer it came in a damaged condition.
What about the fire and flames? Was there no other damage? Just mechatronics failure?
Old 2nd September 2015, 13:53   #185
Senior - BHPian

re: Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
What about the fire and flames? Was there no other damage? Just mechatronics failure?
As of now thats what I am being told. I could not see any other physical damage due to the flames. Only thing I know is that the Mechatronic is blown, a fuse number '30' which controls the mechatronic is blown, and the wiring harness that connects the mechatronic is also burnt and will be replaced. Will surely update as and when I have any update. I just don't trust Skoda any more and I don't know how I can get someone from the administration on call, I only get to speak with my service manager who is very cooperative and technically sound, but there is no support from the factory end.
Old 14th September 2015, 11:12   #186
Senior - BHPian

Update:

After a wait of over 4 weeks, New Mechatrocnic unit was installed on my car. The basic coding took a good two days to install and car is in running condition now.

Along with that I had already scheduled a running repair appointment for fixing the sun roof shade rattles, and ORVM noise. Also noticed the front control arm bushes become hard over time and start creaking.

The sun roof beading was changed with a modified unit. Rattle has subsided about 60% but it's still there.

Both ORVM were replaced with 2015 produced units, it's properly fixed the noise issue and is even more silent than before.

Front control arm bushing was not replaced yet, may be it will take a little more convincing.

I got fantastic time to time support from my dealer, the service manager is a lovely chap who is by far the most technically sound person I have come across after my service experience with Hyundai dealers 7 years ago.

Always updated me with the work which was being done and delivered the car as promised on time.

I've used the car for about 150 kms after this Mechatrocnic swap and I am happy to report, the transmission feels smoother. Earlier I used to feel lot of jerks which I thought was normal but it was indeed my ignorance. The Gearbox was acting a bit stubborn earlier, now it shifts without any perceivable actions. I think all those who face the slightest of the jerks in the DQ200 boxes, should ask for a check of the Mechatrocnic and detect an early failure.

The jerks while driving off, or in down shifts and up shifts have gone, and it's much better even than the day I got the delivery of the car almost 2 years back.

However, there is no official cause detected. They just tell you that Mechatrocnic was defective. On enquiry, we came to know that 2008-9 Superb was also prone to such failure with some cases of fire too. The system blows the Fuse to break the circuit to potentially reduce the chances of the entire system over loaded and avoiding potential risk of the whole car burning to the ground because of electrical failures.

I was not charged a single paisa for the repairs.

Will be updating once I get the job invoice with details of the work done.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 11:23   #187
BHPian

This is good news!
A lot of us are sitting on the fence, waiting to see how skoda handles the issue.
arpandiv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 12:10   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However, there is no official cause detected. They just tell you that Mechatrocnic was defective.
Great to hear you're satisfied now! Adi, so now is your TSI the first known incident of the DQ200 failing AFTER Skoda carried out the oil change and software (and hardware maybe) tweaks?

ahmadnaik on the Polo TSI thread also has resolved his jerking DSG issue after extensive interaction with Skoda. So what is the current verdict on the DQ200? Safe to buy or not?

Last edited by itwasntme : 14th September 2015 at 12:15. Reason: Typo
Old 14th September 2015, 13:47   #189
BHPian

Good to hear that you car is back. Skoda seem to be learning.
Old 14th September 2015, 13:52   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
So what is the current verdict on the DQ200? Safe to buy or not?
I would not say I am satisfied yet. I drove on the first Mechatrocnic for 43500 kms. It's too soon to be passing a verdict on my experience, but definitely the answer to your question is no! I don't advise anyone to buy any VW group car with the DQ200 7 spd DSG box. Mind well that the S-Tronic box in the Audi is a completely different Gearbox, albeit 7 spd dual clutch, it is a wet clutch set up. In India, cars like the Polo TSI, Vento TSI & TDI, Rapid TDI, Octavia 1.8 TSI and finally the Superb 1.8 TSI all have the DQ200 Gearbox. From what I've heard, Skoda cars have been more unreliable, where as Volkswagen is quick enough to identify any malfunction and carry out the necessary changes.

Rest is to the person deciding to buy the car, but if someone is going for the TSI Octavia, just because of the 1 lakh price difference between that and the TDI, pls go for the TDI.

If it's not entirely urgent, all should wait till these issues are resolved on national and international levels and then go for cars with these gearboxes. The engine is much more capable than the 'limited' figures of Torque and Power output. But no one can take the risk to increase torque as this Gearbox is rated at 250 nm of torque max.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 14th September 2015 at 13:53.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 09:42   #191
BHPian

Hey Adi, nice to hear that your car is back in running condition and even better than before. Also glad to hear that you were not cheated in anyway and didn't have to pay a single paisa for all this. I understand that you aren't happy with the time it took for all this to happen but all is well that ends well, no?

Here's hoping you have a trouble free experience going forward.
Old 15th September 2015, 17:41   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Update:

I've used the car for about 150 kms after this Mechatrocnic swap and I am happy to report, the transmission feels smoother. Earlier I used to feel lot of jerks which I thought was normal but it was indeed my ignorance. The Gearbox was acting a bit stubborn earlier, now it shifts without any perceivable actions. I think all those who face the slightest of the jerks in the DQ200 boxes, should ask for a check of the Mechatrocnic and detect an early failure.

The jerks while driving off, or in down shifts and up shifts have gone, and it's much better even than the day I got the delivery of the car almost 2 years back.
Hi Adi, Just when we thought your love hate relationship with the car was tilting towards love, this episode has seems be a knock out punch for the love part!

Anyway, coming to the DSG, have you ever tried resetting the DSG memory? The DSG tends to get jerky over time and several worldwide forums recommend doing a reset once in while, where it wipes clean the DSG memory. The shift pattern resets to default values and the shifts are much smoother. I've already done it a couple of time on my Polo.

I agree with your take on the DQ200. The switch to mineral oil has saved the mechatronic unit from frying up, but the gear box still has other gremlins dwelling inside it. I've had some DSG issues in my Polo GT TSI which I have posted here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3794987. For now I have chosen to live with it due to lack of time and patience required to get the service centre to first acknowledge the issues.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 22:36   #193
Senior - BHPian

How did you reset the DSG? I am keen on knowing this!
Old 16th September 2015, 10:33   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
How did you reset the DSG? I am keen on knowing this!
Akshay1234 had posted this info one of the threads. Turn the key to battery and and ACC on postion without starting the car (all dashboard lights lit up). Then bury accelerator pedal all the way down for about 25 to 30 secs without touching any doors and windows. After this, turn the key to off position. Then within a few seconds start the car and drive off. The DSG will have unlearnt your driving pattern and will reset itself to default values, basically how it came from the factory. Try it, you will be reminded of your drive home from the showroom after delivery
Santoshbhat is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 21:56   #195
Senior - BHPian

I did not try resetting the DSG memory. In fact, I faced the problem of a slightest jerk only when car shifted from 5th to 6th from day 1. I figured that I'll let the car run in, and it would smoothen out, but I just got used to it and never noticed it to be problematic. Later on, just 5-6 months back, I started to notice that after I have taken my foot off the brake, and even pressed the acc. pedal, the car won't move forward. Seemed like the clutch took a little longer to engage gear. Could be a faulty solenoid in one of the pistons, its known to be sticky sometimes. But as such never had any false neutrals till the accident. Right now, I feel like the shifts are much smoother and I would be driving cautiously for next 2-3000 kms. Will report if any issue crops up.

Most Viewed