Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2016, 11:37   #271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsun23 View Post
so would like to know your opinion whether i should wait for facelift or consider buying the current version on sale.

Hi, I am not suggesting anyone in their right minds to go for an Octy. You might be lucky, but chances are you'll face at least two-three of the issues I have listed. I am not even suggesting that the TDI is more reliable, MQB platform itself seems unreliable to me. It's not just me in India, there have been 100s or may be 1000s of people across the world facing issues with gearboxes on MQB platform. It's just not correct that Skoda subject us to a technology they know for sure is not reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Your car seems to be, even for a Skoda, bordering on the lines of a lemon with so many failures as above.

I am still waiting for resolutions for problems in my car. Mechanically they have seemed to fix everything but my anxiety is still very high.

I might have to cut down my sale-plan 🙄
adi_petrolhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 01:24   #272
BANNED

re: Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Hi, I am not suggesting anyone in their right minds to go for an Octy. You might be lucky, but chances are you'll face at least two-three of the issues I have listed. I am not even suggesting that the TDI is more reliable, MQB platform itself seems unreliable to me. It's not just me in India, there have been 100s or may be 1000s of people across the world facing issues with gearboxes on MQB platform. It's just not correct that Skoda subject us to a technology they know for sure is not reliable.
Totally agree to your points, but here again the problem is, there are no cars which would appeal to your mind as well heart in 20-25 lakhs range. Vw-Jetta was in consideration but the news of it getting discontinued has removed it from the list.
I would again looks for more options considering I have some time left before making the final decision.
Again thanks for your guidance.
All I can wish you is a trouble-free ownership & happy motoring.

Dear BHPian,

There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by SDP : 26th December 2016 at 08:00. Reason: fixed broken quote. Also check inline message.
hitsun23 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 23rd January 2017, 18:46   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Adi get this thing called Gummi Pfedge, its available on Amazon USA and some other places. It will last longer than any of these silicon sprays. You will need to do it once every 2 months or so.
Just bought a small pack off Amazon.com. Is this still the best one to buy for my squeaky Octavia or is there a better Indian one available? I believe the Octavia manual does not recommend silicone-based sprays.
Old 23rd January 2017, 19:45   #274
Team-BHP Support

Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Just bought a small pack off Amazon.com. Is this still the best one to buy for my squeaky Octavia or is there a better Indian one available? I believe the Octavia manual does not recommend silicone-based sprays.
This is the best. Its not a spray, its got a sponge applicator. Also I don't think its silicon, though I may be mistaken. But this is the best product to buy.
Old 20th March 2017, 22:36   #275
Mtv
BHPian

re: Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update

Quote:
I am still waiting for resolutions for problems in my car. Mechanically they have seemed to fix everything but my anxiety is still very high.

I might have to cut down my sale-plan 🙄
Any updates on your car ? How is it doing now?

My 1.8 came home yesterday after an ECM replacement, spending exactly 5 months at the workshop.
Mtv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 12:59   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtv View Post
Any updates on your car ? How is it doing now?

My 1.8 came home yesterday after an ECM replacement, spending exactly 5 months at the workshop.

Woah 5 months?

My car is running OK as of now besides some shuddering while starting the car. Will get it checked sometime next month. Have they given you something in writing about the work done on the car and how it will be assured that any other issues connected to this issue in future will be honored under warranty?
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 11:31   #277
Mtv
BHPian

Quote:
Woah 5 months?

My car is running OK as of now besides some shuddering while starting the car. Will get it checked sometime next month. Have they given you something in writing about the work done on the car and how it will be assured that any other issues connected to this issue in future will be honored under warranty?
Not anything specific in writing, but the bill of parts mentions the various items that have been replaced, such as the ECM.

My SA also mentioned that there is a one year warranty on the replaced parts. The only thing I'm worried about after all is this gearbox.

If I may ask, what is the general climate like in the region you drive your car in? From what I've gathered the DQ200 suffers most in humid climate.

The only reason why I question the car's reliability now is that the gearbox AND the engine have been removed, opened up and screwed back together. So obviously now it isn't like how it came out of the factory.
Old 23rd March 2017, 12:09   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtv View Post
If I may ask, what is the general climate like in the region you drive your car in? From what I've gathered the DQ200 suffers most in humid climate.
I am in Gujarat, hence the climate is very dry. Totally opposite of humid. Temperatures soar above 48 degrees in summers.

Also, I don't believe it has any bearing to climate, as the cars internationally failing are in frigid conditions too. Ours is tropical climate and Skoda/VW should have done homologation process.

I guess our cars are most unfortunate when it came to diagnosing the issue, and hence repeated opening/re-fitting of parts. Reliability can go down after a while, if you get a good value, you can get rid off the car.
Old 4th April 2017, 19:02   #279
Senior - BHPian

Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-spee...

Update:

BBS 16" X 7" wheels and Michelin PS3 225/50/16 (2nd set)

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-wheel-1.jpg

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-wheel-2.jpg

While the stock rims are already 16", I was not happy because the width was 6.5". Hence the first set of 225 tyres were not as snug as they should have been. There was always a bulge in the profile. Got these wheels and viola, superb fit and stance. Very happy with Pilot Sports 3 tyres from Michelin too. This is THE tyre for all needs in this segment.

Car looks sick with black grille and the stealthy wheels. I think what's left now is to add lowering Springs. That's a mod for a later date.

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-edit-1.jpg

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-edit-2.jpg

I just wish India didn't have white Number plates. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th April 2017 at 07:56. Reason: Correcting image orientation
adi_petrolhead is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 19:31   #280
BHPian

Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-spee...

Quote:
Update:

BBS 16" X 7" wheels and Michelin PS3 225/50/16 (2nd set)

Attachment 1626298

Attachment 1626299
Sweet!! How much did these BBS rims cost you? Any reason why you did not upsize to 17s, as that is the OE size in Europe for Octavia.

I recently upgraded my Passat Alloys to AEZ 17s. I am still looking for buyers for my OE 16 inch rims though :P
Old 4th April 2017, 19:34   #281
Team-BHP Support

Man, the car looks just AWESOME with those alloys. Can you share how much you paid for the alloys and the source? One of the rims on my Jetta has developed a bend and I am thinking of changing all the alloys in the near future.

Now that the bulge has reduced with the 7" wheels, do you see any positive difference in handling?

Also, instead of just lowering springs, do consider coilovers. They will provide both lowering and fantastic improvement in handling (in the already superb suspension setup of the 1.8TSi).
Old 4th April 2017, 20:38   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Man, the car looks just AWESOME with those alloys. Can you share how much you paid for the alloys and the source?

Now that the bulge has reduced with the 7" wheels, do you see any positive difference in handling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Sweet!! How much did these BBS rims cost you? Any reason why you did not upsize to 17s, as that is the OE size in Europe for Octavia.

Thanks! Can't stop staring at the wheels and what a fantastic improvement it is to my 3.5 year old car.

PM me for the costs and source.

I didn't upgrade to 17" wheels mainly because then the tyre size would be 225/45/17. I didn't want to go with 45 profile tyres and I also want to keep the remaining warranty intact and hence opted for the OEM size of wheels.

Bulge being gone, handling is better. On uneven roads the wobbling has reduced. Earlier whenever I used to go over grooves on the highway roads there was some amount of wobbling. Best improvement I see is with braking, but that's mostly because the tyres are brand new.
Old 26th April 2017, 11:27   #283
Senior - BHPian

Small Update, 80000 kms up:

I have been driving a bit less these days due to the fact of another set of wheels (ownership review to begin soon) sharing space in the garage. The ride and handling after changing the alloys and new tyres is FAN-tastic! The best decision I've made for the rim upgrade, period.

Interiors of the car are holding up really well (frantically searches for wood to knock) and only difficulty is to maintain the leather seats as they gather a lot of stains from minimal use also. Especially the colour transfer of jeans on the seats is very high.

No unruly rattles or squeaks either. Car continues to return decent FE, and I get an average cycle between 12-14 km/l depending on the drive environment and traffic of course.

Starting to experience a tiny bit of brake fade after some driving, but it gets compensated by the sticky tyres. Its almost time to change the brake pads, I've only changed them once till now.

Will be sticking to OE pads as they're very good IMHO and its not worth experimenting with Brembo pads. I will be using the car more now on, for long road trips and I assume that the car will do me good for another 80K kms! I might change the front shock absorbers as they seem to have lost some travel and car thuds over sharp pot holes. Earlier it used to glide over bumps and pot holes. I don't want to tinker with the rear suspension as I don't feel it has deteriorated to that extent.

Engine misfires were detected some time back but after swapping the ignition coil from the misfiring cylinder to another, the phenomenon has not occurred. I need some advise on this, as sometimes I do feel a shuddering even when I am trying to accelerate hard. Of course these things are not possible to replicate on demand but I am trying my best to make the service guys see this issue and raise a concern, unless and until the phenomenon is not recorded in their scans, they can't touch anything as per Skoda policy, which I think is also correct and better than random experimentation which my car has already faced a lot.

Another thing I noticed was that the rear multilink works best on rough roads, where we don't need to slow down for a broken road surface or lets say loose gravel. The car is just rock stable and won't make you feel you're going too fast for the surface you're on.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 11:59   #284
BHPian

Good to know its running well, did you replace the vento finally?
Old 5th May 2017, 18:54   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Small Update, 80000 kms up:
Okay - this is going to sound absurd, but despite all the issues you've faced with the DSG, I'm still genuinely considering the Octy. Simply waiting for a good deal on the 2017 pre-facelift onyx version. I currently own the first generation of of the Vento TSI, and was the first person on Team BHP to experience firsthand the terrible unreliability of the mechatronic and gearbox units. I also started a thread regarding the same, and it took ages for them to sort through all their fussy behaviour and sort the issue out with certainty.

And yet, I think I speak for many people, I cannot get over the fact that no other alternative offers the driving pleasure in the segment, and I'm finding it hard to justify taking the plunge again even though I really want.

Because my October 2013 Vento TSI is currently standing at 86K kms, and I haven't faced any major issue with the gearbox after the 35-40K mark when it was all replaced so I'm still, pretty stupidlyI might add, convinced the car is brilliant as a whole.

So - this is the question - would you say after 80K kms, it was worth it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks