Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2019, 18:02   #316
Senior - BHPian

I don't recommend getting parts yourself and install them at an independent garage. Skoda knows this is an issue, a repeated issue and they are bound to consider some portion of it under goodwill warranty. You just need to be persistent. Even if they don't, I'd rather stick with them and get the parts arranged and fixed at Skoda itself. It's a complex job and I personally don't have the stomach for getting such a job done elsewhere.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2019, 11:35   #317

re: Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I don't recommend getting parts yourself and install them at an independent garage. Skoda knows this is an issue, a repeated issue and they are bound to consider some portion of it under goodwill warranty. You just need to be persistent. Even if they don't, I'd rather stick with them and get the parts arranged and fixed at Skoda itself. It's a complex job and I personally don't have the stomach for getting such a job done elsewhere.
Thanks adi_petrolhead. Suggestion well taken!

I have decided to go to Skoda to get it fixed. This is the first major repair the car is asking, that too in 5 years (though hasn't run even 50K in total) and it ought to be taken up in the right spirit.
As you suggested, will try the goodwill warranty\discount. Never tried this with Skoda, can you suggest any pointers around the discussion to get some bargain? Are there any contacts in Skoda India whom I can contact, know the names of or need to talk about for making an impact?
Old 18th May 2019, 23:28   #318

re: Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update

Update: The car is at now Jai Skoda since a week. Tried to get goodwill but has been rejected twice. Hence I have to pay for all expenses.

The problem is with the Thermostat and the total expense looks quite huge to me. Any review and recommendations would help.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1706.pdf (19.1 KB, 612 views)
Old 31st May 2019, 11:37   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyrajat View Post

The problem is with the Thermostat and the total expense looks quite huge to me. Any review and recommendations would help.

Thanks!
Hi Rajat,
Is the work completed? Its a rather confusing situation when the dealer doesn't cooperate with the customer on such issues. But to explain is rather simple. You have the history right? Have they changed the water pump once or more than once in your car? Was it under warranty? Did the current issue crop up within a year of the last repair/replacement of cooling system components under/outside warranty?

If yes to all the above questions, you can surely push them to replace the thermostat under goodwill warranty. Reason being its a known issue, the first couple of diagnosis were incorrect, you've been troubled with multiple cooling issues, your time and energy is wasted. If they wanted they could have fixed the water pump in one go. Any ways, as I said you can push for the goodwill warranty fo the thermostat only, and remaining all child parts, fluids, labour can be borne by you. That should bring down your pocket hit by about 35000 bucks. If they agree to that or something closer to that, I say get it done for the wellbeing of your car. Take a note in writing (on email should suffice) that any future issue related to coolant, cooling line, thermostat, coolant and oil getting mixed because of an oil cooler leak, all will be the sole responsibility of Skoda India.

As a precaution, please inspect the current coolant quality in the car. If you see oil residues, please inspect the oil cooler. It also costs about 20000 INR and is not an easy task. Please ensure all this to be done on your vehicle and you're good to go for as long as you wish to, with a fully functional and fault free cooling system of your car.

I suggest all this as it has been the sequence in my car. First the water pumps, cooling lines, thermostat, and finally the oil cooler itself.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2019, 18:27   #320

Yes Adi, the car is back after 2 weeks in the service center. First week was lost in discussions with the Skoda service center and they raising query in the portal to get goodwill support. I have driven for about 100 KMs and haven't seen the engine light yet.
I wasn't offered any support from the company and got my car back after paying a bill of Rs 50k.

Answering your questions. I had no issues in the car till now related to water pump, thermostat or anything. This was the first running repair on the car.
They just didn't provide any support due to the age of the car and one service being delayed as per schedule.

I just asked them to replace whatever was necessary to avoid warranty issues later on this repair. I am not sure about the oil cooler as they didn't inform me anything. I believe the coolant quality was okay.
They should have changed all the coolant everywhere as they charged for 7.5 ltrs. Not sure even if the car has so much of capacity as there is also supposed to be a ratio with water mixing as well.
Old 4th July 2019, 10:34   #321
BHPian

Hello everyone!

Read through the entire thread and still can't make up mind. I'm considering a used D1 segment sedan and confused between the Elantra SX (O) and Pre-facelift Octavia Style Plus 1.8 TSI. 2016 models of both are available in Delhi for around 15 Lakhs, with a bit of factory warranty remaining.

It's clear that the Octavia is a far superior car to drive but the Elantra maybe the more reliable of the two. I mostly drive within the city and about 100 KM per week. Any thoughts?
Old 14th August 2019, 18:54   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Hello everyone!

Read through the entire thread and still can't make up mind. I'm considering a used D1 segment sedan and confused between the Elantra SX (O) and Pre-facelift Octavia Style Plus 1.8 TSI. 2016 models of both are available in Delhi for around 15 Lakhs, with a bit of factory warranty remaining.

It's clear that the Octavia is a far superior car to drive but the Elantra maybe the more reliable of the two. I mostly drive within the city and about 100 KM per week. Any thoughts?
Firstly, which dealership has 2016 models? Please do a very thorough inspection of both the vehicles, and do insist on new tires. I would suggest, very frankly: Avoid. 3 years is too long IMHO, though of course you must take the final call. Do push for extended warranty too. Can other members pitch in their thoughts too?

Secondly, it depends on what you require: Elantra has more bling and gizmos to excite you. But the Octavia just wins hands down on the FTD quotient and the Elantra on the reliability quotient. No contest.
The Octavia is quite surprisingly frugal too; 11-12 km/l (ownership reports) should be easily doable in the city; the Elantra petrol will give you far lesser on the litre.
I think the Elantra should be a better bet (purely of the city) due to its smaller size, and (relatively) better reliability and A.S.S, which should translate to less service time and easier availability of parts, if it matters to you or if it’s an only car. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by artemis_fowl : 14th August 2019 at 18:55.
artemis_fowl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 08:44   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis_fowl View Post
Firstly, which dealership has 2016 models? Please do a very thorough inspection of both the vehicles, and do insist on new tires. I would suggest, very frankly: Avoid. 3 years is too long IMHO, though of course you must take the final call. Do push for extended warranty too. Can other members pitch in their thoughts too?

Secondly, it depends on what you require: Elantra has more bling and gizmos to excite you. But the Octavia just wins hands down on the FTD quotient and the Elantra on the reliability quotient. No contest.
The Octavia is quite surprisingly frugal too; 11-12 km/l (ownership reports) should be easily doable in the city; the Elantra petrol will give you far lesser on the litre.
I think the Elantra should be a better bet (purely of the city) due to its smaller size, and (relatively) better reliability and A.S.S, which should translate to less service time and easier availability of parts, if it matters to you or if it’s an only car. Just my thoughts.
I should have clearly mentioned that it is a used car I was looking at

You are bang-on about the Elantra and Octavia comparison. I was initially keen on the Elantra but after a lot of reading and thought, I figure I'll trade in the creature comforts for a fun driving experience. The ASS issues are still a bit of a scare, but I'm hoping to be able to extend the warranty and cover up for it.
Old 21st August 2019, 18:05   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
I should have clearly mentioned that it is a used car I was looking at

You are bang-on about the Elantra and Octavia comparison. I was initially keen on the Elantra but after a lot of reading and thought, I figure I'll trade in the creature comforts for a fun driving experience. The ASS issues are still a bit of a scare, but I'm hoping to be able to extend the warranty and cover up for it.
My bad. I misunderstood you Sorry!
I doubt you should be too concerned about the A.S.S. Yes, there are some horror stories, but Skoda dealerships seem to be becoming increasingly competent. The most troublesome bit- the DSG can be taken care of. There are some instances on our own site about gearboxes being replaced for free under “goodwill” and warranty; do check them out. Hope this helps!

P.S: Adi, this thread has been cold for a while. Any updates?
Of course, no news on a Skoda is good news

Last edited by artemis_fowl : 21st August 2019 at 18:07.
Old 22nd August 2019, 13:00   #325
BHPian

No worries Now wondering if it makes sense to hold on my purchase for a price drop after the new octavia launches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis_fowl View Post
My bad. I misunderstood you Sorry!
I doubt you should be too concerned about the A.S.S. Yes, there are some horror stories, but Skoda dealerships seem to be becoming increasingly competent. The most troublesome bit- the DSG can be taken care of. There are some instances on our own site about gearboxes being replaced for free under “goodwill” and warranty; do check them out. Hope this helps!

P.S: Adi, this thread has been cold for a while. Any updates?
Of course, no news on a Skoda is good news
Old 14th September 2019, 19:48   #326
BHPian

Thanks for the insightful post; I've been looking at the Octavia for sometime now and not sure if it is worth its price.
Old 8th November 2019, 08:53   #327
Senior - BHPian

Adi, read the entire thread starting to end. This was like a Bible for 1.8 TSI.
Does it make sense to buy a new 1.8 TS now? My driving is less than 10,000 KMS per year and planning to keep the car for 9-10 years.
satish_appasani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 18:02   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
Adi, read the entire thread starting to end. This was like a Bible for 1.8 TSI.

Does it make sense to buy a new 1.8 TS now? My driving is less than 10,000 KMS per year and planning to keep the car for 9-10 years.

Hi Satish, I would wait for the new Octavia irrespective of the current discounts and deals you'd be getting on the outgoing model. It'll be worth the wait as you're not gonna replace the car for a decade. Please wait till tonight when the Octavia IV is unveiled.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 18:03   #329
Senior - BHPian

155000 KM Update:

This is a slightly long update, so please bear with me. The last time I posted about was just after an oil change service at about 126800 kms. Since then the car has seen two more oil change services at 139K kms and 152K kms. Current reading is around 156K kms.

I was simultaneously fighting from time to time with Skoda India for the issue with the headlights DRL becoming yellow over time, for no good reason. Ultimately I was able to convince them, and they extended a good portion of goodwill warranty support to replace both the headlamps. Mind you the headlamp does not come with any other child parts, not even the dust caps! So they salvaged the ballasts for the DRL, HID and one more controller from my old headlights. I had already changed my OEM HID Bulbs to OSRAM night breakers some time back and they're phenomenal now! The new headlight unit has transformed how I used to see things ahead of me at night. A wonderful result both aesthetically and practically.

I had done some preventive maintenance and changed the front shock absorbers along with the 126K kms service. Since then, I ended up getting the Engine mount, pendulum mount, subframe mount, gearbox mount and its strut, replaced as a preventive measure. Wasn't surprised to see, each and every mount's inner bonded rubber part was either torn or worn out, so I did the right thing. This was carried out last month itself as the parts were all in back order. The difference these replacements make, is unexplainable and I recommend everyone getting it done at 5 years or 75K kms, whichever is earlier. You will thank me! I had changed the pendulum and subframe mounts at 75K kms, and after another 80K they were dead again, so for those I would recommend 50K kms, as they are very cheap parts and needs very little labour too. The total job cost about INR 50K with labour. While at it, car was sitting idle awaiting a part (I shall describe below), so I asked them to take the bumpers off and repaint them. Done!

Besides these we noticed very minor oil drops on the spark plugs during the latest service, so a dry and wet compression test was carried out, and the engine passed with flying colours! The test result was almost near perfect, and I could not expect anything better. If the test had failed, I would have been looking at a full engine rebuild. But I am safe, for now, fingers crossed There were no other symptoms of a gasket failure, which I kept reading about on international forums, the car was smooth and still remains to be smooth in a steam roller kind of way, on the highways. Nothing to complain about that.

There was also an intermittent issue of the ventilation flap of the AC, getting stuck in the open position leading to foul smells in the cabin. It worked on its own will, and it was time to take the plunge with a 100 kg rock on my heart, I asked the service centre to open the dashboard, to access the flap. We first thought the flap motor was faulty, replaced it, still didnt work. It was determined that the flap mechanism itself had failed, tried all sorts of repair on it, workshop went above and beyond and dismantled it completely and rebuilt the flap part, but still it didnt work. So we had to order a ventilation flap, which comes pre-installed with a flap motor as well. The flap is not available as a child part, even though I tried to convince Mr. Hollis, it did not gain anything more than a 10% goodwill gesture, looking at my case. The part costs about 25K. For my particular VIN, we had the AC system installed by Valeo. That is the most expensive of all the AC system suppliers. Currently I think the units are supplied by Denso, and the workshop asked me to approve the change to the Denso as they were offering me a complete AC system for 45K, which included the fan blower, motor, distribution channel, flap, complete air ducts, cooling coil, condenser dryer etc. In short entire new system for the AC except for the compressor (or may be it did include it, I didn't check). I did not want it, not only was it shooting up the bill, but unlike the newer units that are more prone to failures, my 2013 Valeo unit held up extremely well in all these years, and I have had zero issues with cooling/heating. So I decided to stick with Valeo ventilation flap, and that was the end of foul smell in the cabin for good!

Rest of the car is in good shape, and continues to drive really well. Next, I am on the hunt for another set of tyres and front brake discs. Tyre replacement is due in about 3-4 months, still unsure if I will ever find another set of Pilot Sport 3s. Also planning for a deep detail on the rest of the body of the car and its interior (ruined by the recent visit for the extended works at the service centre) and will post pictures post that event, hopefully before end of the month!
adi_petrolhead is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 13:07   #330
Senior - BHPian

Pictures only // 157000 kms

After a recent detailing session which included claying, decontamination and a wax coat. I did not opt for ceramic coating as there's no real good studio in Ahmedabad who can do a decent job of coating and non-availability of good brands such as CarPro, Gyeon or of equivalent quality. Also was pending since a long time hence got Hunter's road force balancing and alignment done, and I must say the road force balancing has made a whole lot of difference especially the faint vibes at 100 kmph+ are now history, and the car somehow feels more pliant over rough patches.

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-img_9461.jpg

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-img_9458.jpg

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-img_9455.jpg

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-img_9457.jpg

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-img_9452.jpg
The Gloss!

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-img_9450.jpg

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-img_9449.jpg

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-img_9448.jpg

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-img_9429.jpg

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-img_9445.jpg

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-img_9430.jpg
The somewhat water beading, topped it up later with Turtle Wax ICE spray sealant. Will be keeping an eye on how it holds up.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (22) Thanks

Most Viewed