Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2014, 22:10   #91
Senior - BHPian

So I went to the ASC today to get the coolant issue checked. I had not taken a prior appointment, but just called up the manager and the entry was arranged. Otherwise the guards eat up your head and don't allow you in unless you have an appointment. The car was promptly attended to, by the most knowledgable and one of the oldest technicians. The dealer is learning, ever so slowly.

It was put on the lift and the engine guard was removed to check for leaks. There were no leaks or no marks of leaks on the guard as well. They were using mobile phone torches, instead of a proper light source. See I told you they are learning, but literally very slowly.

Again the car was brought down, checked again, coolant was all there, and no signs of a leak. But then where did the coolant go??? I asked with a flustered look on my face. To which the manager replied, 'Sir we don't know yet, but we assume it's been consumed internally' and I am like standing there with my mouth open, slowly falling in the chair behind me.. I decided to leave after that explanation. I was told to keep the car under observation (my own) and keep checking the coolant level physically from time to time. Ok, now time for taking a quick VCDS log, they call is 'VAS'. eeeeesh!!

While he was taking the log, I remembered to activate a few features I wanted to via VCDS. They refused, said they had to first get permission from Skoda to 'tamper' with an Octavia. I managed to convince him to just try, and he obliged, but to no avail. There was a completely different software I was not aware about, and he also claimed that as such Skoda has changed the software so we can only make diagnostics, not code. The rights to tweak have been withdrawn. I don't buy that, but was getting late so left without arguing.

Before that, they also took a video recording of the ORVMs making noise. They say they will send it to the factory and expect a call in a week's time for a resolution.

In short, I already keep a litre of oil in the boot, now will keep at least 4 bottles of Bisleri, so that I can keep topping up when the amount of coolant reduces?? So stupid that I can't explain.
Old 22nd July 2014, 03:47   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DS

I hope your problem get resolved ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
In short, I already keep a litre of oil in the boot, now will keep at least 4 bottles of Bisleri, so that I can keep topping up when the amount of coolant reduces?? So stupid that I can't explain.
Coming to topping up with Bisleri. It shouldn't be done, as it contains minerals and other stuff. Only distilled water/battery water should be used. Otherwise there can be corrosion due to those added bisleri minerals. Its mentioned in manual of Vento 1.6 TDi.

Take utmost care and refer the manual. Don't go by what SA says.

Get a ELM327 to know if any error code is registered by ECU. That way you would know of any error codes before giving your car to workshop. Smart work.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 06:02   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DS

Quote:
So I went to the ASC today to get the coolant issue checked. I had not taken a prior appointment, but just called up the manager and the entry was arranged. Otherwise the guards eat up your head and don't allow you in unless you have an appointment. The car was promptly attended to, by the most knowledgable and one of the oldest technicians. The dealer is learning, ever so slowly.

It was put on the lift and the engine guard was removed to check for leaks. There were no leaks or no marks of leaks on the guard as well. They were using mobile phone torches, instead of a proper light source. See I told you they are learning, but literally very slowly.

Again the car was brought down, checked again, coolant was all there, and no signs of a leak. But then where did the coolant go??? I asked with a flustered look on my face. To which the manager replied, 'Sir we don't know yet, but we assume it's been consumed internally' and I am like standing there with my mouth open, slowly falling in the chair behind me.. I decided to leave after that explanation. I was told to keep the car under observation (my own) and keep checking the coolant level physically from time to time. Ok, now time for taking a quick VCDS log, they call is 'VAS'. eeeeesh!!

While he was taking the log, I remembered to activate a few features I wanted to via VCDS. They refused, said they had to first get permission from Skoda to 'tamper' with an Octavia. I managed to convince him to just try, and he obliged, but to no avail. There was a completely different software I was not aware about, and he also claimed that as such Skoda has changed the software so we can only make diagnostics, not code. The rights to tweak have been withdrawn. I don't buy that, but was getting late so left without arguing.

Before that, they also took a video recording of the ORVMs making noise. They say they will send it to the factory and expect a call in a week's time for a resolution.

Adi really sorry to hear about the coolant issue. Is the coolant level coming down rapidly or is it at a very slow rate? Check the coolant level (mark it with a marker if necessary) and drive around for about 50Kms a bit hard than usual then leave the car overnight and check the coolant level? Is it the same or has it dropped? Don't drive the car that day if the level has dropped and check the level the subsequent morning as well. If the level has not dropped now, then its likely to be early signs of water pump failure .
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 10:24   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So I went to the ASC today to get the coolant issue checked. I had not taken a prior appointment, Otherwise the guards eat up your head and don't allow you in unless you have an appointment.
I am really sorry about the trouble that you are having with your Octi adi_petrolhead. I sometimes wonder if its the Product or the Personnel who scare the Customers away.

I mean seriously Adi, you have a 'Near Flagship' model from Skoda and the service station guards have the audacity to shoo you away if you reach the facility without a prior appointment ?
Ironically, I think it probably might just be apt since there might already be loads of unhappy customers lined up everyday at the work station.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 22nd July 2014 at 10:26.
Old 3rd August 2014, 01:20   #95

Congratulations Adi - your car looks absolutely ethereal in black! And great photos too, I must add.

By the way, has the coolant issue been resolved? I ask, because I booked the 1.8 in white just yesterday! I've been researching about the Octy throughout the week and except a few threads with (manageable) problems faced by others, everything positive turned up. Then I came home after booking and 'accidentally' found the fuel-pump thread, then this coolant issue to, hell, VW-to-curb-Skoda thread.

Did I just make the silliest mistake ever made in the history of illogical mistakes by ignoring overwhelming evidence and following my heart?

P.s. I understand after reading a metric-ton of Skoda threads, that being physically present during the service and keeping an eye on the technicians and mechanics helps alleviate 50% of the issues faced. What should one do in case the car needs to spend a night, or more, at the ASC (although unlikely)?
Old 3rd August 2014, 11:23   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurangsaini View Post
Congratulations Adi - your car looks absolutely ethereal in black! And great photos too, I must add.

By the way, has the coolant issue been resolved? I ask, because I booked the 1.8 in white just yesterday! I've been researching about the Octy throughout the week and except a few threads with (manageable) problems faced by others, everything positive turned up. Then I came home after booking and 'accidentally' found the fuel-pump thread, then this coolant issue to, hell, VW-to-curb-Skoda thread.

Did I just make the silliest mistake ever made in the history of illogical mistakes by ignoring overwhelming evidence and following my heart?

P.s. I understand after reading a metric-ton of Skoda threads, that being physically present during the service and keeping an eye on the technicians and mechanics helps alleviate 50% of the issues faced. What should one do in case the car needs to spend a night, or more, at the ASC (although unlikely)?
Thank you!! See the problem is that the new generation EA288 series of TSI engines and parts are probably still not homologated for Indian conditions. There is no clarity from Skoda or VW if the gearbox in question has been retuned only in terms of software, or has it gone through the official mineral oil change from synthetic oil. All these things make you anxious before planning a 3-4 day road trip. But since the fuel pump issue, i haven't faced any further mechanical issues. Yes the coolant level was dangerously low, but the cluster did not show any signs and even the car was physically okay! So yes may be there was a temporary issue with the water pump, but seems its sorted now. I cant live in the tension of coolant low (although i do) all the time. I have warned Skoda that now if there are any further mechanical problems in the car, I am done with it.

Apart from that, the engine is a gem! You will never regret your decision.

Noises in and around the car like from the rubber seals in all doors, roof, everywhere are irritating but solvable with silicon spray.

All these problems disappear when you are on a smooth piece of tarmac, and no one ahead of you, and you get to floor that throttle. It will plaster a huuge grin on your face! Dont cancel the booking. White TSI is drool worthy. What is the waiting time? I have seen a lot of TSI being delivered in Ahmedabad nowadays.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 3rd August 2014 at 11:26.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 16:37   #97
BHPian

How low was the coolant? Was it below the sensors inside the coolant reservoir?
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-coolantsensor.jpg

You'll get a warning only when the circuit is broken. Have you tried removing the sensor plug to see if they are working?
I tried and got this warning.
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-coolantwarning.jpg
joethomasv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 08:24   #98

Quote:

Noises in and around the car like from the rubber seals in all doors, roof, everywhere are irritating but solvable with silicon spray.
You've been with the new Octy for about 9 months now - are the rattles severe? What steps have you taken to fix the rattles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead
All these problems disappear when you are on a smooth piece of tarmac, and no one ahead of you, and you get to floor that throttle. It will plaster a huuge grin on your face! Dont cancel the booking. White TSI is drool worthy. What is the waiting time? I have seen a lot of TSI being delivered in Ahmedabad nowadays.
This is precisely the reason why I went ahead with the booking, in the first place! I booked it with Senator Motors in Goregaon and the salesperson initially told there's 3-4 months waiting time, but after pestering him, he came down to 1.5-2.5 months. I somehow have a feeling it's going to take longer than that :(

Anyway, thanks for your reassuring reply! I hope to look beyond what's trivial, and enjoy every second behind the wheel, like you
Old 4th August 2014, 20:13   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You've been with the new Octy for about 9 months now - are the rattles severe? What steps have you taken to fix the rattles?
I dont see any permanent fix. All I can do is use the silicon spray every month and its working fine. May be they addressed these issues in newer deliveries.

Quote:
This is precisely the reason why I went ahead with the booking, in the first place! I booked it with Senator Motors in Goregaon and the salesperson initially told there's 3-4 months waiting time, but after pestering him, he came down to 1.5-2.5 months.
Well if you do get delivery in 3 months then consider yourself lucky! Hope you get it soon!!
Old 4th August 2014, 20:26   #100
Senior - BHPian

This happened yesterday. A moronish driver in a red i10 overtook me from the left, and scraped the left front fender and bumper. Given the car for repairs, total damage 10K. It sucks how bad driving conditions are these days. A Sunday evening ruined, so is the week, dealing with Skoda staff is always a pain.
Attached Thumbnails
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-1407163845056.jpg  

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-1407163923140.jpg  

Old 4th August 2014, 22:16   #101
BHPian

Quote:
This happened yesterday. A moronish driver in a red i10 overtook me from the left, and scraped the left front fender and bumper. Given the car for repairs, total damage 10K. It sucks how bad driving conditions are these days. A Sunday evening ruined, so is the week, dealing with Skoda staff is always a pain.

Seriously, 10,000 bucks for that? What is that bumper made out of? Rhodium?

A competent body repair and paint shop will be able to repair that dent of yours for a fraction of the cost with nearly 85-90% quality of the dealership.

In my opinion it should cost about 1500 to fix that dent of yours.
Old 4th August 2014, 22:26   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Seriously, 10,000 bucks for that? What is that bumper made out of? Rhodium?

A competent body repair and paint shop will be able to repair that dent of yours for a fraction of the cost with nearly 85-90% quality of the dealership.

In my opinion it should cost about 1500 to fix that dent of yours.
I agree its expensive. But this includes pulling out the dent, painting the whole fender and the whole front bumper. Plus, getting it done at a private shop is not an option for me as there are none as competent as the dealer, and the colour is complicated to match. It has shades of blue, black, gold and silver :o
Old 4th August 2014, 22:58   #103
BHPian

Quote:
I agree its expensive. But this includes pulling out the dent, painting the whole fender and the whole front bumper. Plus, getting it done at a private shop is not an option for me as there are none as competent as the dealer, and the colour is complicated to match. It has shades of blue, black, gold and silver :o
Well if if there are no competent workshops nearby you, then you are better of with the dealer.

But I say it again adi, all it will take to fix your dent is 1500 bucks, 3000bucks maximum including pulling out the dent, painting the whole fender and the whole front bumper. A guy I personally know of mended his e class which was scraped even more badly than yours. When he went to the dealership, there they quoted him 35000 bucks. He got it done from a private shop for 6000. And I can tell you it looked exactly the same as it was before the incident. Top quality job on a top quality car.

There might be some shops near to you that might be really good. Please inquire about them adi.

Last edited by nakul0888 : 4th August 2014 at 23:00.
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 08:13   #104

Quote:
But I say it again adi, all it will take to fix your dent is 1500 bucks, 3000bucks maximum including pulling out the dent, painting the whole fender and the whole front bumper. A guy I personally know of mended his e class which was scraped even more badly than yours. When he went to the dealership, there they quoted him 35000 bucks. He got it done from a private shop for 6000. And I can tell you it looked exactly the same as it was before the incident. Top quality job on a top quality car.
The paints on our cars today are extremely complicated pigments. My friend has a basic white Fortuner, and had a little accident, damaging the front-right fender and the front bumper. He went to the best private shop in the area, and had it done. 2 years later, the panels look like junk if you see closely - the finish is definitely not as smooth as any of the original panels. The shade of white has changed over time too, and the repainted panels are a shade weirder lol.

Why experiment? These cars ain't cheap!
gaurangsaini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 11:37   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well if if there are no competent workshops nearby you, then you are better of with the dealer.

There might be some shops near to you that might be really good. Please inquire about them adi.
While a private garage may do it cheaper and in the beginning it may look almost as good as a company job. What needs to be taken care of is that that the private workshop should be using good quality paints like Standox, and that the clear coat used is ceramic which European cars use. If these are used the cost may be half as much as a dealership cost, or a little more but a top quality one certainly won't be 1/6th the cost.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed