Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2015, 11:49   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update

Adi, what is your city, highway and combined mileage so far?
Old 23rd September 2015, 00:01   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Adi, what is your city, highway and combined mileage so far?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3778197

Have a look at this.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2015, 15:02   #198
Senior - BHPian

Facing slight juddering when picking up the engine in 2nd gear. The DSG doesn't shift to 1st unless you completely make the car stop. So when in traffic I pick up in 2nd, there is some judder coming in. What can be the reasons? Dirty spark plugs may be?

Judder is then absent through all other gears.
Old 14th November 2015, 16:04   #199
Senior - BHPian

re: Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Facing slight juddering when picking up the engine in 2nd gear. The DSG doesn't shift to 1st unless you completely make the car stop. So when in traffic I pick up in 2nd, there is some judder coming in. What can be the reasons? Dirty spark plugs may be?

Judder is then absent through all other gears.
May be a clutch issue?

Link (Post # 14): http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic...n-second-gear/

Last edited by Chethan B G : 14th November 2015 at 16:09.
Old 14th November 2015, 17:35   #200
Senior - BHPian

Could be a clutch pack issue. But why not just reset your dsg box once. It will help. A dsg reset is always good.
Old 22nd November 2015, 01:13   #201
Senior - BHPian

Tried to reset DSG logic, but very slight improvement. It usually happens on hot days when AC is under full load, will have to reproduce the conditions to really check for improvement in judges after reserving the DSG calibration. Small update on mileage in photos below:

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-imageuploadedbyteambhp1448134840.939679.jpg
Long term km/l value

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-imageuploadedbyteambhp1448134877.959112.jpg
Measured over 870 kms

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-imageuploadedbyteambhp1448134913.526767.jpg
This is the average speed over the said period.

Cheers!
Old 24th November 2015, 16:09   #202
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday night I was travelling home around 9:45 pm, on my regular State Highway 41. Suddenly, the car in front of me, a Maruti Eeco, changed its lane very slightly, and too late. I saw from about 10 meters, a white-greyish object appeared on the road in front of me, I assumed its either a small dead animal, or a bit of rubbish, very common on this highway.

A moment later, there was a huge thud from under the car, the damned object was a piece of concrete, must have fallen off of an open dumper.

Don't worry, nothing happened, I stopped the car and got down to check the under body with the help of a flash light. The front portion below the engine was not even touched, scratch less.

In the middle of the protection cover I noticed a scratchy patch, but there was no damage on the fuel tank, or exhaust, or the suspension. Or may be it did hit a part of the chassis but the chassis is so strong, that it didn't even get a slight dent?

The car is absolutely fine as of now, but I am desperate to get it on a lift and check underneath in broad day light.

The front and rear bumpers are also untouched, I really don't understand what was the part of impact!

Point is, careless transport of such concrete chunks (we call it RODA, which also has metal mixed in it) is many times dangerous for other vehicles travelling, especially at night.

There was a humble Maruti Alto behind me, it also hit the debris, and I could see in the rear view mirror, sparks flying off the rear of that Alto. Given its low ground clearance, it is bound to have hit something and caused damage.

Thumbs up to Skoda, for a change, it has proven to be the strong brute it once was. The entire underbody is covered with strong cladding as part of "rough road" :Frustrate package. Only the exhaust line is exposed, but is much higher placed in the body, rest everything up to the rear springs is completely shut. That saved from possible damage.

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-skodaoctaviamt07.jpg

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-skodaoctaviamt01.jpg

Pic courtesy, Team-Bhp.com Official Review of the Skoda Octavia.

Last time when a similar incident happened with me in the Laura, the mechatronic unit was exposed below and was completely crushed, along with a cracked gearbox. But again, that debris was bigger, higher and that can be a damaging hit for any car in this class.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 24th November 2015 at 16:16. Reason: added photos
adi_petrolhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 16:20   #203
BHPian

Adi, there is a small metal plate that goes across the exhaust in 2 places (probably to prevent it from falling off) that usually scrapes. On my Laura, due to the lowering, thats the part that scraped on 3-4 occasions. I assumed it was the gearbox that i scraped but was happy when i saw this part while the car was on a lift.

Rohan
Old 24th November 2015, 16:24   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Adi, there is a small metal plate that goes across the exhaust in 2 places (probably to prevent it from falling off) that usually scrapes.

Rohan
Phew! Thanks Rohan, for the reassurance. Since I could not see any fluids leaking in the last 15 hours since the incident, I already assumed that nothing important or expensive was hit. But still its worth checking.
Old 24th November 2015, 17:44   #205
Senior - BHPian

I jacked up the car and checked underneath. Happy to report that there is no visible damage whatsoever.

Only the plastic cladding is slightly cracked in one side, nothing serious, and the RHS rear spring holder (I don't know the exact name of the part) has a slightest of the ding, no bends, no cracks. The car doesn't even wobble in any conditions on high speeds or braking so I am closing this case as of now. Although will take the car to the service centre next week to get it checked up. As such I am planning to give the car for some paint work. The front hood is badly chipped cos of excessive highway driving. Along with that, the front bumper and rear bumper need repainting due to multiple small scratches. Does 3M PPF coating prevent stone chips? Any one who has got it done on their cars?
Old 24th November 2015, 17:50   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Does 3M PPF coating prevent stone chips? Any one who has got it done on their cars?
Check out V.Narayan's thread on his XC60. the entire car is PPFed and he is very happy.

Link below:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ms-update.html

Also, could you please share the DSG reset procedure? Laura is at 81500 and i want to give it a shot.

Rohan
Old 24th November 2015, 18:13   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post

Also, could you please share the DSG reset procedure? Laura is at 81500 and i want to give it a shot.

Rohan
Go down 10 posts, you'll find it there.
Old 18th December 2015, 15:43   #208
BHPian

Hi Adi,
We're there any reports of Mechatronic Failures in the MY15 Cars?
I am totally confused ,Whether to go in for the TSI with DQ200 or TDI with DQ250. I went for a Test Drive in both of them in Bangalore , An As expected, The TSI handles way better but the DSG issues as seen in the thread is one thing that's holding me back from placing an amount for booking. My annual usage is not more than 11k kms.
Old 19th December 2015, 00:18   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishithrao95 View Post
Hi Adi,

We're there any reports of Mechatronic Failures in the MY15 Cars?

No I haven't but I continue to stick to my claim, they are highly unreliable equipment. Go for the Ambition TSI MT or the Jetta TDI DSG. Better yet, wait for 3 months, you'll hear about many new models coming up from different brands. Take an informed decision later.
Old 29th December 2015, 12:35   #210
BHPian

Dear fellow bhpians,

I am a proud owner of the Chevy Cruze AT and boy have I loved every bit of the drive !

Time to buy another car to replace my other car - Honda City. I have been contemplating between the Altis AT vs Octavia Diesel Ambition AT vs Octavia Petrol Elegance AT. Post the TDs very quickly I had to put the Altis aside for it's low quality interiors and lack of exciting factors that a car in this range can offer. Time to choose between the Octavia Diesel Ambition AT vs Octavia Petrol Elegance AT.

My initial impression so far - the Diesel Octavia seems to be a more practical car solely in terms of mileage (users claim 11-12 km/l in city with traffic; AC etc.). Though having driven the Cruze for 3 years now, I thought the driver/pick up of the Octavia Diesel was a little boring :(

On the other hand the Petrol Octavia has a fantastic pick up and a much more pleasurable drive. The downside is the mileage. A few friends claim the mileage to be not more than 7 - 9 km/l in city with traffic; AC etc.

Obviously I am confused now ? Do I go for the comparatively more dull Diesel AT and enjoy the lower diesel cost and better mileage ? Or do I dart towards the petrol pay more for the fuel and lower mileage. My daily drive should be at an average of 50 km per day. Having a diesel (rocket) Cruze already in my garage, does it make sense to have a second petrol car ? Also I hope that the information I received on the mileage is correct ?

Maintenance is not a worry for me unless there is something fundamentally wrong with either car's maintenance. I plan to keep this new car for 2 - 3 years.

As always I look to you guys to help me decide as you did for my Cruze buy a few years back Looking forward for your valuable inputs. Thanks.
kch82 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks