Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2020, 14:27   #331
Team-BHP Support

re: Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
After a recent detailing session which included claying, decontamination and a wax coat.
Wow! The car looks as if it is just out of the showroom. What a fantastic maintenance you have done on this car Hats off!
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 08:17   #332
Senior - BHPian

re: Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update

Your car looks fantastic, almost showroom condition.
Only give away is the after market alloy wheels. Your suggestion to replace the several types of mounts, is it applicable to all SKODA cars ?
Old 17th November 2020, 09:36   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Pictures only // 157000 kms

After a recent detailing session which included claying, decontamination and a wax coat.
Holy !!! What an amazing well maintained car. 157000 kms and it stil looks pristine and fresh out of the showroom. I really wonder have you been able to maintain it to such brilliance.

- is it regular detailing, ceramic sessions?
- or any major repaints done recently?

Wishing you many more miles with the black beast. It is one amazing car.
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:55   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
- is it regular detailing, ceramic sessions?
- or any major repaints done recently?
Thank you. Mainly just maintaining it myself. A few parts have been repainted over time, nothing major only a few chips and scuffs on the bumpers. Doing a wash once a week with Optimum No Rinse and one bucket water, using Jopasu duster every other day, pressure wash and foam wash once a month, using Carpro Ech2O diluted 1:10 with distilled water to wipe the car after every wash or at least thrice a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Your suggestion to replace the several types of mounts, is it applicable to all SKODA cars ?
Well all modern cars these days have hydraulic mounts and they do wear off with time and mileage. Recently got them replaced on my 2012 Vento as well, so should hold true for other Skoda cars such as Rapid, Fabia, Superb and the Kodiaq. My brother's 2011 520d has also got the mounts replaced twice and the car drives and feels like day one.

Coolant low warning

All this attention I gave to the car, came with a cost. Every time I take utmost care for the exteriors of the car, the engine compartment starts feeling jealous and succumb to attention seeking behaviour. This time during a late night drive of about 70 kms, I got a coolant level low warning. Since I was on a secluded and unlit highway, I could not stop and trusted previous such issues for me to safely reach home. I was shocked to see that the coolant expansion tank was nearly empty. But the engine was not over heating, the temperature was right at 90 degrees without any palpitations. I had about a litre of G13 left with me, and I topped it up. The level was still below the minimum mark in the expansion chamber. Saw some coolant dripping continuously from the bottom, I had almost zeroed it down to a defective hose connecting to the radiator. Flat bed came the next morning and car was towed to the service center. I reached along side too, and we put the car on lift, only to see the coolant continuing to drip from the protection plate. It was quickly noticed that the coolant was indeed leaking from the top of the radiator. Simple solution, change the radiator they said, do you have it in stock I said, no sir, it will be ordered they said.

I was pressuring them to check for other parts like the thermostat or water pump, as due to the lack of coolant in the system they too might have been running under stress although only for about 100 kms, but still, they did not find any issues with the cooling system besides the radiator.

The part arrived in 2 days, car was ready on the third day but I could not collect it sooner as I was travelling. Driven 600 kms since, no issues to report as of now, but keeping a very close eye on the coolant levels.

Besides this, the car suffered blemishes on the exterior due to the flat bed process. I had put my car cover on the car, as the journey was more than 100 kms, to protect my recently detailed finish. But to my surprise when we removed the cover at the dealership, I could see small spots and scuffs all over the body. These were formed due to the cover itself which was shifting in the wind, and left horrible blemishes on the hood, roof, side pillars and doors. A bit of polishing will clean these off, but I haven't got the time to do so yet.

I thought a black car would never need an evil eye, but I am not posting pictures of my car anywhere now, ever!! (only joking, I don't believe in this logic) Here's one, drool over it, dream about it!

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-img_9684.jpg
My Race Blue beast

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-img_9683.jpg

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 22nd December 2020 at 13:12.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 20:20   #335
Senior - BHPian

162000 kms update: a scary one

After the radiator replacement saga at 158500 kms, car is performing well on that front. Haven't seen any coolant loss or irregular levels or temperatures. (fingers crossed!!!)

ODO @ 160500 kms: As ambient temperatures started to rise with the winters fading away, the AC in the car would tend to run at higher speeds after parking under the sun for sometime. I started noticing the fan would pause and was working intermittently. The speed was half of what the actual indication on the dial was. I had then removed the blower, cleaned and lubricated, although it worked but only for a week or so. One day it finally decided to pack up entirely, leaving me with no air whatsoever from the air ducts. I could hear the motor whirring, but no air. Hence a blower replacement was needed immediately. Same was ordered and replaced for INR 12000/- including taxes and labour. Part number: 5Q2819021D Make: Valeo

ODO @ 161666 kms: 75 kms in to my routine Monday morning commute, I put the car in to manual mode to overtake a few lorries. As soon as I did that, I noticed a slight dip forward, error saying not to exceed 4000 RPM, and the EPC light permanently on in the cluster. I was about 10 kms away from the nearest Skoda workshop, so I kept driving gingerly, keeping the RPMs at under 2000. This was a "yellow" error, so I take it that its safe to drive with this. A "red" error means you need to stop immediately and flatbed the car.

I had already scanned the error and it showed me an "oil pressure switch malfunction code P164B00". Same result with the workshop's VAS. They checked oil level and found it to be slightly under the recommended mark. Topped up with 250 ml, and with the error erased, I was sent on my way. As soon as I left, I kept the car in manual mode and revved it to 4500 RPM, and the error was back. I decided to drive back to the main service center in Ahmedabad, as this did not require me to flatbed the car. The car wasn't losing oil or coolant, and was smooth on idle, unlike when the oil control valves had gone bad and the engine jerked violently on idle.

Day 1: There are two oil pressure switches located on the engine block, they replaced both, took pressure readings, but the pressure won't rise. A small 1 km trial revealed the error again. Back to the drawing board.

Day 2: They were told to check oil quality, inspect oil filter, open the oil sump and check the crank bearing. Now this made me furious because there's at least 3 critical parts that need to be replaced with opening-refitting of the oil sump. Dont even get me started on the crank bearing. The car had its last oil change only @ 152K kms, thats about 9.5K kms. So surely the oil couldn't have gone bad already, right? Did some research about this error on Google and Skoda forums, found it to be an issue, and one article mentioned the the same order of inspection, I was relieved. I gave the green light to carry out these steps, meanwhile escalating the issue to Skoda higher authorities and requesting them to kindly depute a factory tech as they have done in the past on mysterious issues with my car. This issue too was "sir first time hua hai TSI mein" for my dealer.

Day 3: no further updates

Day 4: They had inspected the oil and oil filter. They opened the oil sump, and reported the findings to the factory.

Day 5 (today): They called me to inform that they have fixed the issue and come take a test drive. According to them, they put in new oil and oil filter, replaced the sump gasket, baffle plate and 'O' ring (all compulsory if you open sump). They have taken about 20 kms of further trials but the error has not appeared and the car is running smooth at all RPMs. They invited me for test drive today but I have scheduled it for tomorrow. So I hope they have fixed this issue, but I still need to investigate, what did they find in the oil sump. According to them, the oil quality was not as per requirement. They have changed the oil spec some time back which came as news to me today. The new spec / name is called "Special G" and is SAE 5W40, VW 502 00 (same as before). It is manufactured by Shell, earlier they were always using Castrol Magnetec Pro from a barrel. The service manager has insisted I use this oil, instead of Motul 8100 which I was using since last 4-5 oil changes. Final word only after tomorrow's test drive. The manager assured me that I will smile while driving, the car will be so smooth. I sure hope that happens!

While chatting with him today I asked him how tedious it is to change the DSG oil? He said its very simple, will do it right away if I wanted to get it done! I told him to go ahead, and after an hour or so he sent me a video depicting the draining and refilling process! Mighty impressed with them. He did give me the obligatory mention of the lifetime oil in DQ200, etc. but at the same time clarified that they will change only the gear oil, not the mechatronic oil, to which I agreed. Oil spec used is G 055 512 A2, about 1.7 litres. My gearbox code is 0AM, which specifies that it doesn't have an oil filter element, so that was that.

Tomorrow is a big day. Shall update after hopefully driving the car for 1000 kms post delivery tomorrow. I was actually supposed to take this car on a 2000 km road trip. But given the timeline, the car does breakdown every 2000 kms, so thats not happening.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 11:39   #336
Senior - BHPian

After taking delivery of my car with the issue seemingly fixed, I have driven the car for about 200 kms. The issue hasn't come back yet. I drove at varying speeds and gears above 3000 RPM, the drive is smooth with no loss of performance or jerks.

When I discussed with the service incharge, he advised me that the issue was with deteriorated oil quality. I was shocked to know this, because the last oil change was only about 9000 kms ago. I generally service the car at 12-13000 kms depending on the urgency or any planned trip which can pre-pone this by a 1000 kms or so. But now I think I will need to stick with 9-10000 kms as my standard oil change interval.

Along with the oil change, since they had opened the oil sump to inspect the oil strainer, they have to change the oil baffle plate (part number 06K103138E) and the sump gasket (part number 06K103649J). My fingers are crossed, this be the end of engine issues.

Its too early to pass my judgement post DSG Oil change. I wish I knew the procedure was as simple as filling engine oil; drain and refill from top. They dont change the mechatronic oil as there is no fool proof method to carry out the task at the dealership. According to them, fluid is stored in the mechatronic from the assembly line, and is not supposed to be serviced by the dealer, unless asked by the technical superiors, in which case they would be investigating a faulty mechatronic and its subsequent replacement. In most cases if the issue has come down to investigation of mechatronic fluid, it will warrant a replacement of the part in its entirety.

I recommend fellow 1.8 TSI owners with the DQ200 box, please do carry out the DSG oil change once in four years or 60000 kms.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 11:03   #337
Senior - BHPian

165000 Kms update

Its been about 3800 kms since the last post and visit to the service center (the post below).
  1. The engine oil issue hasnt cropped up again as yet.
  2. The tyres were up for a change, this time failing to get any leads on Michelin due to import restrictions, I had to switch over to Yokohama BluEarth GT AE51. The tyre seems to be more of a comfort oriented one. Have only driven 300 kms yet, need to wait and see how the overall performance improves in coming times.
  3. As is manifested with my car, some issue has to come up every 3-4 months, 2-3000 kms. This time it was the Radiator cooling fan. The bearing of the fan due to its wear and tear gave way and the fan was moving freely on its assembly back n forth, and as it would spin out of control, the controller would cut if off. This caused the coolant temperatures to rise even in idle, and the AC compressor would not work. This time though, Skoda was kind enough to send the part and mechanic at my place to fix the issue. The job took less than 30 minutes, car is back on the road. Lead time for sourcing the fan was also only about three working days!
  4. Since the tyre change, the place who did the Alignment suggested I have to get the RHS lower control arm and shock absorber checked for damage as the right weel is about 10mm ahead of the left wheel, causing the car to pull to the left. This is something that will be addressed in coming days.

More updates next week.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 22:54   #338
BHPian

Quote:
165000 Kms update
  1. The tyres were up for a change, this time failing to get any leads on Michelin due to import restrictions, I had to switch over to Yokohama BluEarth GT AE51. The tyre seems to be more of a comfort oriented one. Have only driven 300 kms yet, need to wait and see how the overall performance improves in coming times.

More updates next week.
It's great to see your Octavia last this long. I haven't come across any other TSI DSG Octavia That lasted this long. I was thinking maybe I should sell mine after 2 years and 45000km but looking at your car it feels like who knows even my DSG might last long enough.

Thanks for posting these regular updates. It is helpful for people who wish to know the long term reliability. If only Octavia 1.8 TSI was the kind of car one could keep for 200000Km in India I might never have thought of selling it.
vikrantshete is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 21:40   #339
Senior - BHPian

1,80,000 kms update:

Lots to report, first off the issues and upkeep, and then the good bits.

1) since the last post, I went ahead and replaced all four discs and pads at a cost of 35k including labour. Though steep, braking is something I just don’t gamble with. This was done at 167K kms.

2) Shortly after, the car felt it was jerking in traffic. I took it to the workshop and indeed it jerked and croaked during a short drive within the workshop itself! Fuel pump wirings were found to be burnt out. Fuel pump was replaced, cost 18k including labour.

3) Odo at 169K kms, the cruise control gave an error and wont work when I toggle the stalk. This was diagnosed to a camshaft adjuster magnet issue, and needed those parts to be replaced. This cost me 18k including labour. They also changed the gaskets which are in the cover for the camshaft.

4) Carried out the oil change service at 171K kms, routine service, 12k all incl.

5) One of the horns failed, I had kept the horn pressed for over 10 seconds as a truck was backing up on me at a crossroad and I panicked, thats when it choked. Cost 7k including labour as it needs bumper to be off. And yes, the truck stopped in time.

6) Odo at 177K kms, cruise control error popped up again, same error on the OBD scan as well. Confused as hell, service centre decided to change the camshaft magnets again, but that didn’t help. Further investigation revealed a small wire that connects to the sensors was a bit hard and crumpled. They repaired the same at no cost to me, and its been working fine since. I think I will change the Cam actuator as a pre-emptive decision sometime soon. Next service is due in 1500 kms, I have maintained the 10K service interval since last 100K kms or so.

The good bits!

As I have always said, when there are issues, its sad, but when it runs, it runs just like new. The new tyres are holding up well, although I had to replace rear right prematurely due to a sidewall cut, nothing to be worried about, it was my mistake. Yokohama honoured the warranty and gave me a new tyre at prorata basis. I recently completed a quick trip to Jaipur. The distance being around 1250 kms for the round trip. Not once did I cross 100kph due to strict speed limits on NH27, thanks to constant surveillance by cops using speed cameras. The car returned 17.5 km/l for the highway journey and gave me a combined mileage of about 15 km/l with city driving in Jaipur. Jaipur is very congested, and riddled with potholes, hence the deterioration in FE but I am mighty impressed. Started using XP95 since last 5 full tanks. I can notice the difference in engine refinement and power delivery combined with better FE. The next spark plug change will probably help with FE further. This time the car showed a possible range of 1100 kms! Unbelievable stuff really. Nothing else to report, to all TSI owners, drive your cars and drive them well. Don’t be scared to push it. It will not bother you as much as a less driven car would. Cheers!

Oneway FE:
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-fa9af1d18de94f799819a0e255020542.jpeg

Overall FE for the trip:
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-06a26fbc06284b0192d34a004dfcfb48.jpeg
adi_petrolhead is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 16:42   #340
Senior - BHPian

Re: Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update

The saga continues, every 2000-3000 kms, there is a breakdown. But dont be afraid people, who bought after 2016, the facelift models, I have rarely seen those in the workshop or heard bad reports about its reliability. Now the car has some issue either with the throttle body, MAF/MAP sensor, or there is an air leak in the intake manifold. Whatever it is, needs to be taken on a flatbed to the workshop, and I filled the car up with a full tank just today!! Shall update as things happen further.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 07:53   #341
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update

Quote:
The saga continues, every 2000-3000 kms, there is a breakdown.
8 years up & 180,000 km on the odo. Time to sell and get something new? Or you could do a lateral upgrade?
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 08:52   #342
BHPian

Škoda cars are highly educative. In a typical 5 year ownership, the owner knows all the parts, procedures and forums. Compare that with any owner of a different brand (specially Honda or Toyota). That guy wouldn’t know even 1% most of the time. That has been my experience so far.

Coming back to the topic, as GTO suggested, time for a change. A frequent downtime isn’t good for your happiness.
roadrunner_nv is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 12:57   #343
BHPian

Quote:
But dont be afraid people, who bought after 2016, the facelift models, I have rarely seen those in the workshop or heard bad reports about its reliability.
I think, you meant the 2017+ models, right? The facelift (split-headlight design) was launched in mid-2017.
Old 23rd February 2022, 13:53   #344
Senior - BHPian

This was one thread which made me go for a Pre Worshipped Octavia. The other reason was that it belonged to a dear friend so I knew how immaculate the car would be.

Picked up a 2015 40k run model from fellow bhpian and friend, vvb8530.

Might pick your brains, if needed since you are like an encyclopaedia on the Octavia.

Thanks for keeping this thread updated.

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 19:37   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
This was one thread which made me go for a Pre Worshipped Octavia.
I’m shocked Varun’s car is 40K run the car is well maintained. Rims are drool worthy! Congrats and ping me anytime on the dms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romil.shroff View Post
I think, you meant the 2017+ models, right? The facelift (split-headlight design) was launched in mid-2017.
Correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_nv View Post
Škoda cars are highly educative. In a typical 5 year ownership, the owner knows all the parts, procedures and forums. Compare that with any owner of a different brand (specially Honda or Toyota). That guy wouldn’t know even 1% most of the time. That has been my experience so far.

Coming back to the topic, as GTO suggested, time for a change. A frequent downtime isn’t good for your happiness.
You put it right! Educative in a bad sense. I’m happy not remember how an engine bay of a Crysta looks like. But seeing new age Skoda VW cars with the same engine bay as mine, gives me the creeps. As soon as a good option comes up, I’ll be trading this, hopefully this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
8 years up & 180,000 km on the odo. Time to sell and get something new? Or you could do a lateral upgrade?
Its long over due. The 40-50 lakh budget is the most confusing budget ever. I’m not in to used cars, I know I might sound like a caveman, but I cant fathom the thought. My new car if they allow me, will unload it from the truck myself.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks