Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2014, 12:27   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The Superbs full can bus system may be a generation older than the Octavias. The steering shape may have just been changed to look like the newer ones like in the Rapid. I understand that even coding through VCDS is different in the Octavia now, and hence I think the Superbs steering may not work.

IMO for something like a steering which is a direct swap, I would order and import it myself. For something much more critical like an ESP or electronic module which would need coding, I would buy it from VAGtune or something. Steering is just plug and play, and easy to swap out. While importing it can be under invoiced, and you can have it at your doorstep for 40k at the max.
Thank you for the valuable input! Now I am confused But still, let me check on the Superb steering, the stealth look is what I want. I don't want any VRS badges in the car unless its a real VRS. But if I go for the one from Carsequipment.com, I won't have any option. May be hide the badge it or remove it later on. Come next month, we'll know for sure! this is the right time to import, given low Euro and Dollar rates.
Old 22nd May 2014, 12:39   #62
Team-BHP Support

Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Thank you for the valuable input! Now I am confused But still, let me check on the Superb steering, the stealth look is what I want. I don't want any VRS badges in the car unless its a real VRS. But if I go for the one from Carsequipment.com, I won't have any option. May be hide the badge it or remove it later on. Come next month, we'll know for sure! this is the right time to import, given low Euro and Dollar rates.
In which case this is available, without vRS badges and 40 Euros cheaper
http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en...l/#prettyPhoto[10927]/0/

But I also see wheels listed for both Superb 2 and Octy 3, which means that the wheels are interchangeable. So check it out at the workshop, and see how much you can buy the wheel from the workshop for. I think it would be pretty expensive from them.
Old 22nd May 2014, 15:43   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Well since the car is black, too much of CF wraps will spoil the stealth look don't you think?
I think otherwise adi, Black with CF is a killer combination.

Quote:
I would rather just go for a wrap on the front chrome grille, that too gloss black.
The Jetta grill on the front is already gloss black, so im still thinking on what to do, May be CF wrap again in the fog lamp area?

Quote:
You should do the same, while we can have the ORVMs in brushed aluminium finish Separate mirror covers are available at superskoda.com, but I am not too sure how well the 3M taped covers will hold, I hate rattles in a car! Wraps are cheaper, cleaner and easily reversible to stock.
I was thinking of wrapping the lower section of ORVM in CF, the top blue color will remain. However even i'm not sure how 3M guys will do their job with the mirrors. I'm basically trying to replace all the plastic parts/sections of Jetta with the CF film.
Old 22nd May 2014, 19:40   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
I think otherwise adi, Black with CF is a killer combination.
The Jetta grill on the front is already gloss black, so im still thinking on what to do, May be CF wrap again in the fog lamp area?
I was thinking of wrapping the lower section of ORVM in CF, the top blue color will remain. However even i'm not sure how 3M guys will do their job with the mirrors. I'm basically trying to replace all the plastic parts/sections of Jetta with the CF film.
I forgot yours is a Tempest Blue! Wish we had that for the Octavia. Its a real cool color, make the Jetta look so much nicer. Do post pics once you have carried out all the planned wraps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
In which case this is available, without vRS badges and 40 Euros cheaper
http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en...l/#prettyPhoto[10927]/0/

But I also see wheels listed for both Superb 2 and Octy 3, which means that the wheels are interchangeable. So check it out at the workshop, and see how much you can buy the wheel from the workshop for. I think it would be pretty expensive from them.
Guess what happened? I called up the Service Head at my dealer, and asked him about the steering. He refused straight away, but then I told him about our bhpian Abhinav's mod and he is still in shock He quickly asked at the spare shop, and quoted me 50k for the steering from the Superb. Haven't negotiated yet, but he told me that he will swap the demo Superb's steering on mine, and check if everything fits as it should, and then we will place an order. I suggested that I could get one cheaper as a direct import, and we could just install it at the workshop cos I am too lazy to go and buy a wrench to which he agreed. So now, waiting to munch 2500 kms which is left for me to go in for a first service, I as such have no time at the moment to go through all this. Fingers crossed.
Old 25th May 2014, 15:06   #65
Senior - BHPian

Got the LED license plate lights from superskoda.com. Was delivered in 15 days, costs €42 for the set including postage.

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-imageuploadedbyteambhp1401010459.777854.jpg
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-imageuploadedbyteambhp1401010532.399863.jpg

Although, its too bright, may be I can find a way to 'dim' it a little!
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 19:47   #66
Senior - BHPian

Yes, looks very bright but looks really good.

Let me know if you find a solution to the brightness of the same.
Old 10th June 2014, 14:50   #67
Senior - BHPian

Update:

Closing towards 15000 km mark, this reminder popped up today in both MFDs.
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-imageuploadedbyteambhp1402391858.258152.jpg
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-imageuploadedbyteambhp1402391878.455408.jpg

Also added this dummy shark fin.
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-imageuploadedbyteambhp1402391917.526940.jpg
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-imageuploadedbyteambhp1402391930.643182.jpg

Just adds tiny bit of character similar to the European spec models. Hope they gave a proper one, which is connected to the front glove box and they claim to increase cell phone reception when connected to bluetooth, thus saving on your phone's battery life. Skoda, does it really cost too much to give us a proper antenna??
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 17:31   #68
BHPian

Quote:

Also added this dummy shark fin.
From where you got it? Is it the BMW one?
Old 11th June 2014, 18:06   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
From where you got it? Is it the BMW one?

China wala. Ali Express, costed about 8$ free shipping but took almost a month to get delivered.
Old 25th June 2014, 09:00   #70
Senior - BHPian

Haven't updated the thread a long time now, thats because there is nothing wrong to report getting good mileage on, good efficiency, and only 500 kms left for the first service.
Recent drive to from Sidhpur to Ahmedabad returned the highest ever FE till date: 17.0 km/l.
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-imageuploadedbyteambhp1403666991.287687.jpg
adi_petrolhead is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 14:58   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
Ahh the 1.8 TSI is a treat & congratulations on the great choice of color & engine!

However must add with a pinch of salt, it is very difficult to sell a petrol car here in India (I have been trying to sell our Superb 1.8 TSI for a long time now) ! I hope you plan to keep this for a long time.
This nailed it! I was in 2 minds till date after booking Octavia 2.0 CR AT Ambition to change the booking to 1.8 TSi Elegance. Apart from the blast of an engine I would loved to have had the 7 speed DSG (slick), memory seats, cruise control and of course the DRL's with bi-xenons.

However after reading your post, you reinstated in my mind why I am going diesel. I won't be driving much (1000 km per month max) but I would be selling the car in 2-3 years tops (I average 2 years). So want something that can sell quickly.

I envy the guys who drive the 1.8 TSi, the 2.0 CR is slightly down on power plus the refinement of the petrol. Heck for that matter I feel even the Polo TSi feels (I mean just feels) quicker then the 2.0 CR on Octavia... I just don't find the 2.0 CR AT fast enough or slick enough. But there is nothing else in the market in this price range that is better (from driving/pickup/road manners standpoint except 1.8 Tsi). However simply there would be such a big resale hit if I go with 1.8 Tsi & I can't afford that.

So it was a mind's decision & not a hearts. The only hearts decision was to choose the black colour. I know I would have to painstakingly get it waxed and polished every 3-4 months & not many people prefer black car in resale, but I had to indulge! Wish I had more money to buy something better but this is where I stand right now. In no mans land, graduated from the C segment and not many choices in the D segment & very very far from BMW segment. Bangalore prices too make such a big dent to your pocket.

I would have loved to book Polo Tsi but since we already have a small car at home, need a bigger car as well. The Toyota's, City's don't cut it in terms of sheer driving pleasure. Such is the pathetic state that you have barely few drivers car under 22 lakhs and you can count them on hand.

Last edited by aseem : 29th June 2014 at 15:04.
aseem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 00:11   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Extended Warranty and Insurance: EW was not available at the time, and still is not available after 6 months. They are still 'designing' it as per the dealer. The on road price I got was Rs. 20 lacs and a couple of thousands plus or minus. I got an excellent Insurance from ICICI. Its called a Diamond Plan, covers the full cost of registering the car, tyre burst, hydrostatic damage, zero dep, cashless cover, total cost: Rs. 60000/- I know its too much but it was at least better than the zero-dep only policy given by the dealer for Rs. 85000/- at the time.
Did you finally get the extended warranty on the car? How did you resolve the fact that you didn't take insurance from them. Tafe Access is saying they will give extended warranty if it comes even if I don't buy insurance from them, but their price list clearly states that for extended warranty insurance must be purchased from the dealer
Old 1st July 2014, 00:22   #73
Senior - BHPian

Hi Aseem. No I don't have the EW yet. Going for the first oil change service this Friday, shall ask then, I have been asking regularly though to no avail. I have a mail from Skoda India and the dealer stating that I'll be eligible to buy the warranty anytime it is launched.
Old 1st July 2014, 22:24   #74
Senior - BHPian

No extended warranty from Skoda yet, though I got it in writing from the dealer that I can go with my own insurance through leasing. I don't know how much his handwritten note has a value, but at least I have something.
Black colour looks awesome, am jealous of your DRL's/bi-xenons, sunroof and power seats & heck of an engine. You are one lucky guy mate. Enjoy every minute of driving your beauty. Waiting for my incomplete package (ambition tdi AT) to be delivered, hope it gives me 50% of the fun you are having
Old 2nd July 2014, 09:07   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
No extended warranty from Skoda yet, though I got it in writing from the dealer that I can go with my own insurance through leasing. I don't know how much his handwritten note has a value, but at least I have something.
Black colour looks awesome, am jealous of your DRL's/bi-xenons, sunroof and power seats & heck of an engine. You are one lucky guy mate. Enjoy every minute of driving your beauty. Waiting for my incomplete package (ambition tdi AT) to be delivered, hope it gives me 50% of the fun you are having

Skoda has ultimately caved in to so many customers who were not willing to get their expensive insurance. So shouldn't be a problem for you too.

As far as TDI Octavia goes, I owned a Laura for 3 years. It was the same TDI DSG combo. I had never driven something so techie and refined for a diesel. When I test drove the Octy TDI , I realised that it did not drive as good as my old Laura, or may be I was biased. I did not take a test drive before booking the TSI. The first time I ever saw a TSI or rather sat in one, was at the time of PDI at their stock yard.

I feel TDI DSG combo offered these days in Jetta and Octy, are very very refined. The power delivery is not sudden like in the Laura, which is good. What I didn't like in the Octy is that the car doesn't feel heavy as before. May be thats why I still prefer my Laura over anything else.

Xenon lights with projectors are an optional accessory, many dealers offer aftermarket parts. So do check it out. You are getting all the bells and whistles still in the Ambition variant besides cruise control, powered seats, front parking sensors, sunroof and AFS bi-xenons.

Cruise control, front sensors, and bixenons can be definitely retrofitted later at a total cost of around 65-70k.

How much was the difference in the Ambition and Elegance TDI?

Most Viewed