Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2014, 11:25   #121
BHPian

Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-spee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Seems to be happening on a lot of the VAG cars in India including the Yeti, Octavia, and Rapid/Vento. Something to do with the newer type of rubber beadings used. Gummi Pfedge takes 5 mins to apply. I'd rather do that than leave it with the grease monkeys to diagnose what it is.
I've been using WD40 to lubricate the door rubber beadings in my Vento and it works pretty well. I've applied it twice in last 6 months. No squeaks at all
I've also tried some silicone sprays but found out WD40 to be the best. It holds up much longer and works better.
Old 13th November 2014, 20:56   #122
Senior - BHPian

23000 kms update:

Just a few general observations and notes:
1) No problems with the fuel pump which failed early 800 kms, tried several different fuel bunks and brands, no effect to the fuel pump.

2) Light leather is very difficult to keep clean, especially after a long drives.

3) On the other hand the Black exterior is surprisingly well maintained, thanks to 3M wax treatment done six months back, now time for the second UV treatment.

4) Sound system is, for me, a tad soft. No bass, extra treble, and decent mids. Would love to have a subwoofer, and better system(Dynavin may be, or Columbus)

5) Tyres are ageing well, still a healthy 8-9000 kms life left, I will change them in six months.

6) A strange noise comes from the front of the car, when I go over bumps, at slow speeds. Seems to me like the engine protection plate beneath is loose, but on inspection didn't seem so. It is audible as soon as the tyres touch the road after a speed breaker descent, can't figure out why.

7) highway mileage is a decent 14.0 km/l if I drive little more aggressively than usual, otherwise its an astonishing 17.0 km/l. City mileage is nothing to hoot about, 8-9 km/l.

8) second service will come up in 5k Kms so thats roughly in February for me planning a road trip.

9) THAT ENGINE IS.. Simply FANTASTICALLY WELL DONE JOB BY VW. I can't imagine how to compare it to the diesel counterpart, and I am so happy I stuck to my choice of engine, the difference between petrol and diesel is now just 6-7 rs/l!! so much more fun, and not so much expense!

Parting shot, my favorite, the head and tail lights.

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-imageuploadedbyteambhp1415892366.466650.jpgLove Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-imageuploadedbyteambhp1415892383.297509.jpg
adi_petrolhead is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 01:29   #123
Senior - BHPian

Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-spee...

28000 kms and second service completed:

I know it's 2k kms early but I don't like to wait till the whole 15k. I keep an average of 14k interval between services. Anyway, following niggles were complained by me and the corresponding result:

1) noise from the front of the car when it went over speed bumps or uneven surfaces: the cause was narrowed down to the bushes in the front axle and the same was lubricated and the noise has now subsided by about 95%. On really sharp bumps I can still hear some creaking. They also did wheel alignment but I was charged for the same, the advisor gave me an 'advise' to show alignment was done so that in future if there is any claim regarding warranty for the suspension or something of that sort, then it will be easier if record will show wheel alignment was done at the company garage. Costed about ₹800.

2) noise from doors and sunroof: they did 'door setting' for ₹400 which I politely asked them to waive off and they did.

3) The dreaded ORVM noise: specifically instructed them to open the covers, spray good amount of lubricant and put it back together and voilą! Noise is gone, now I have to double check if the door mirror folded or not because it's silent now!

4) engine oil changed: ₹4000.

5) Oil filter changed: ₹1200.

6) Bought OEM rubber boot mat: ₹3000.

7) Labour and other charges under 'misc' : ₹3500.

Total excluding the rubber mat accessory amount: ₹9500 inclusive taxes.

Car is running strong, already driven about 300 kms after the service, which was done only yesterday.

On another note, VCDS cable arrived this week and activated/enabled these features:

1) customary cluster staging
2) convenience blinks from 3 to 5
3) both rear fog lights active
4) refuel quantity now visible in the MFD
5) LED DRLs to fade when the turn indicator is activated.
watch the sample video.
6) max limit for cornering fogs up from 40 km/h to 60 km/h

That's it for now folks.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 21st January 2015 at 01:39.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 11:49   #124
BHPian

Octavia is a great car and everytime i passes by it turns my head around. What was needed for cornering speed to be increased to 60kmph on vcds.
Old 21st January 2015, 13:56   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
Octavia is a great car and everytime i passes by it turns my head around. What was needed for cornering speed to be increased to 60kmph on vcds.
He doesn't need VCDS to increase the cornering speed. Driver input will do

Adi meant the cornering fog lamps which light up when you turn the steering/ give turn indication at speeds less than 40 kph. He has increased this limit to 60 kph.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 14:26   #126
BHPian

re: Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
He doesn't need VCDS to increase the cornering speed. Driver input will do

Adi meant the cornering fog lamps which light up when you turn the steering/ give turn indication at speeds less than 40 kph. He has increased this limit to 60 kph.
Yes, I know that and exactly that's what i was asking for?
Old 2nd February 2015, 16:14   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
Yes, I know that and exactly that's what i was asking for?

Hope the codes helped you activate and increase the fogs cornering speed threshold on your Yeti?
Old 25th February 2015, 09:52   #128
Senior - BHPian

All interior bulbs were changed to Osram LED cree bulbs. Other accessories post can be found in the official review, though will put it up here soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-1424838108677.jpg  

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-1424838121841.jpg  

adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 14:19   #129
Senior - BHPian

Update:

37000 Kms up. Following updates and upgrades:

1) Got the new VRS Super Sports steering wheel with paddle shifts, works like a charm! Worth every rupee spent, 24,000/- of it. The service of the seller is excellent, highly recommend www.skodadop.com
Best part is, now I don't have to shift in to S mode to overtake a long lorry on the highway. Flick of the left paddle and bang, you gun forward.

2) LED tail lights, came at a dearer final cost than what I was told by the dealer initially. Approx. Rs. 18000/- including labour to install. The lights are not at all plug and play. You need to change the bulb holders, do lots and lots of code changes in VCDS, I took my laptop to the service station and did everything there, dealer was more than happy to cooperate. The lights look neat and brighter, really lifts up the boring rear end somewhat.

3) New boots! Michelin Pilot Sports 3 (PS3) 225/50/ZR16 92W sits just right on the original 6.5J rims. Wish I had a wider rim though. There is a prominent lip, but no loss in ground clearance whatsoever. Car rides, rather floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee! It is so grippy that I am amused how did I resist till now. The handling capability has increased a lot compared to stock tyres, its like the tyres are glued to the tarmac. Plus there is really good absorption of potholes and generally uneven roads. I wouldn't say they are the most silent of the tyres, but yes, a little degree of lower noise is noticed compared to stock. Here are two pictures showing the 'lip' I am talking about.

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-img_7904.jpg
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-img_7905.jpg

Issues:

1) The ORVM noise is just perpetually there, and the dealer has not been able to fix it for over one and a half years now. I would have to keep the car at the dealer for a week or so if I want to claim warranty replacements, since I have heard the issue is not cropping up in latest manufactured cars.

2) Many rattles from the sunroof, doors, etc. The seats squeak when you adjust them using the electric controls, when the leather brushes against the seatbelt holder, its like some one is farting constantly. pardon the bad comparison but actually people who have sat in the drivers seat and tried to adjust it, have only been embarrassed. Nothing some silicon spray cannot solve, but why should I constantly roam about with a bottle of silicon spray in the boot?

Skoda needs to fix these niggles soon, I am sure there are many others facing similar small issues which make an otherwise pleasant and fun to drive car, a hassle at times.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 21:32   #130
Senior - BHPian

The neat looking LED Tail Lights:
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-tail-light-1.jpg
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-tail-light-full.jpg

The Super Sports VRS Flat Bottom Steering Wheel with Paddle shifts and White Stitching:
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-steering.jpg
adi_petrolhead is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 21:40   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
The neat looking LED Tail Lights:

Attachment 1369542

Attachment 1369543

The Super Sports VRS Flat Bottom Steering Wheel with Paddle shifts and White Stitching:

Attachment 1369541

Wow!!! Excellent adi. Both the upgrades look sweet! I'm in search for a flat bottom as well. In talks with the dealer to procure the type that is available in the new Jetta.

Did you come across any LED tails for the Jet?
Old 11th May 2015, 21:57   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
In talks with the dealer to procure the type that is available in the new Jetta.

Did you come across any LED tails for the Jet?
Hi Amar,
I believe Jetta doesn't come with LED tail lights in any market. Hence no OE option is available, and I would not suggest aftermarket lights.

The steering too is a tough thing for you because, the new Jetta has an upgraded steering module, which makes the cruise control stalk redundant, adding the controls directly on the new steering. Also the new airbag assembly is different than the one on your Jet. To get an OEM feel and look will mean changing not only the wheel but also the steering module (I might be wrong), the cruise control stalk to normal indicator stalk, and a new airbag. Will cost you in the sub 50K range if I we go by the prices on few websites. However if you do decide to go for the upgrade, go for the Golf 7 GTI steering, its much much more chunky and sporty.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 22:58   #133
Team-BHP Support

Are the license plates lights LED's or regular bulbs?
Old 11th May 2015, 23:25   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Are the license plates lights LED's or regular bulbs?

They're mega power LED from superskoda.com.
Old 14th June 2015, 11:18   #135
BHPian

Skoda Auto India should thank @adi_petrolhead for - a) an accurate assessment of their dealerships and after sales service; b) class owner's review of the Octavia 2014; and c) for convincing @allinbalance to finally choose Skoda Octavia for his new saloon. If Skoda Auto India won't, then @allinbalance will... thanks a TON, @adi_petrolhead!!

Your thread starts like a Quentin Tarantino movie!!

For me, I already own a Hyundai 2014 i20 for the wife, Hyundai Fluidic Verna SX - for family rides (members may find some info on that in the ICE/headunit threads in this forum), and my personal ride - the 2015 Toyota Fortuner.

The saloon was something that was missing from the stable and I was in the market for a family saloon - vacillating between VW Passat (was not convinced what I was getting for INR 3.2Mil+ on road) and Toyota Corolla (great car, but the outer design was not sitting well with me).

It was @adi_petrolhead who did my "mind making up". Read his thread, calmed myself down to ignore the arrogance of Skoda showroom guys, had a ball with the test drive and then paid up for the Octy 2015 1.4 TSI Petrol and hopefully take delivery next week (somehow never liked Automatic transmission).

Midnight Black of course - just like a Mafia hit car.

Back to the starting note, Skoda India should teach basic sales skills, more humility and invest in scaling up technical skills of its technicians. The front line sales guys are ok, but the showroom staff at Vinayak Skoda Bangalore seem to think they are in the President if India's office and not selling a consumer product!! Needs serious improvement.

Last edited by allinbalance : 14th June 2015 at 11:24.

Most Viewed