Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2016, 15:28   #226
BHPian

re: Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
4. Should I fit the sill plates? Do the sills get scuffed badly over time? The original accessory (set of 4, rubbery plastic black, not chrome) is pretty reasonably priced at 2k. Pics attached.
Yes, the sills are very broad and they had started getting ruffed up in my car. I therefore got installed chrome ones in my car. They certainly look better than black ones.
Old 29th January 2016, 18:04   #227
Senior - BHPian

re: Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update

Today I was travelling to nearby religious destination, Ambaji, which is about 100 kms from my place. I was alone in the car and about 50 kms in to the journey, the road is nicely paved, but since its a hilly region, we face small inclines and drops, but nothing the car has not experienced before. Mid way, I see that the car is in D7, accelerator pedal was stable, but the RPM, started fluctuating. At first I thought may be its a loose needle in the dial. But it kept happening for some time.

I accelerated slightly and the car downshifted in to D5, but there was hesitation in the power delivery, the RPM kept going up and down in range of 200-300 RPM.

I was yet to finish the steep climb and since the roads are pretty narrow, I decided to return home from mid-way. I called up the service station and the guy asked me to check for loose throttle wiring, but I could not see any loose contact.

I then got online on my computer and started a google search, "skoda octavia dsg rpm unstable" and there came loads of links to different forums. Many people had posted videos of the same, and all had the verdict written, pressure failure in the solenoid in the mechatronics, and hence a new mechatronic is the only resolution. There are no other errors in the MFD.

Tomorrow the car will be sent for a check up, and I am back in the mechatronic woes phase.

However, its weird because as soon as I made a u turn and came back, the problem did not occur again. Tomorrow will be driving another 100 kms to the service station, so will check again but I can't record a video since I would be alone in the vehicle.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 29th January 2016 at 18:05.
Old 29th January 2016, 19:41   #228
BHPian

Hope it was just one of incident and there is nothing seriously wrong with your car.
Old 29th January 2016, 20:43   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
Hope it was just one of incident and there is nothing seriously wrong with your car.

I can reproduce the incident at will. D5 or 5 in manual mode, speed between 70-80 kmh. Try accelerating, it happens.
Old 29th January 2016, 22:18   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I can reproduce the incident at will. D5 or 5 in manual mode, speed between 70-80 kmh. Try accelerating, it happens.
I am pretty sure it is due to poor quality of fuel. Used to happen in my Laura TSI too : 4th or 5th gear, while accelerating hard from a low rpm a jerky up and down engine rpm. This used to happen when I would fill petrol at moffusil areas.

Try emptying the tank and filling at a reputed pump and see if it happens again. Cleaning spark plugs helps or even replacing with new is a good idea.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 29th January 2016 at 22:27.
Old 29th January 2016, 23:09   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I am pretty sure it is due to poor quality of fuel. Used to happen in my Laura TSI too : 4th or 5th gear, while accelerating hard from a low rpm a jerky up and down engine rpm. This used to happen when I would fill petrol at moffusil areas.

Try emptying the tank and filling at a reputed pump and see if it happens again. Cleaning spark plugs helps or even replacing with new is a good idea.

Have filled up at the same pump last 2 years. Don't think it's bad fuel, but can be dirty spark plugs. But, I drove in manual mode from 1-7th. Accelerated till 4000 rpm full throttle in all gears till I hit about 140 km/h. No jerking rpm fluctuation. Then I slow down to about 60 km/h, drop to 5, accelerate, there it is. It's not jerky at all, it's for half a second at a time. It's like pressing clutch while in gear and cruising, the speed remains same but rpm will rise slightly.
Old 30th January 2016, 09:28   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have filled up at the same pump last 2 years. Don't think it's bad fuel, but can be dirty spark plugs. But, I drove in manual mode from 1-7th. Accelerated till 4000 rpm full throttle in all gears till I hit about 140 km/h. No jerking rpm fluctuation. Then I slow down to about 60 km/h, drop to 5, accelerate, there it is. It's not jerky at all, it's for half a second at a time. It's like pressing clutch while in gear and cruising, the speed remains same but rpm will rise slightly.
It does not happen across the full rpm range. Its somewhere between 2,500 rpm and 3,500 rpm that it would happen esp when you are trying to accelerate hard from 2,000 rpm within a particular gear. Since mine was a manual I could pin point this behaviour more easily. I hope in your case it is the same phenomenon and not a gear box problem. Try accelerating hard from low rpms in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear in manual mode and see if this behaviour is consistent. If it is, then it is the same thing. When did you last service your car and when were the spark plugs replaced?
Old 30th January 2016, 10:18   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
It does not happen across the full rpm range. Its somewhere between 2,500 rpm and 3,500 rpm that it would happen esp when you are trying to accelerate hard from 2,000 rpm within a particular gear. Since mine was a manual I could pin point this behaviour more easily. I hope in your case it is the same phenomenon and not a gear box problem. Try accelerating hard from low rpms in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear in manual mode and see if this behaviour is consistent. If it is, then it is the same thing. When did you last service your car and when were the spark plugs replaced?

I will try today and update by the evening. Last service was 43000 kms, right now I am at 54000 kms. The spark plugs haven't been changed till date.
Old 31st January 2016, 12:07   #234
Senior - BHPian

Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-spee...

I tried to reproduce the problem in every gear but it only happens in 5th. So it was 5th gear, speed 50 kmh, rpm below 2K, and I floored the accelerator. As soon as the rpm crossed 2K, there was a small jump to about 2.3K, and then it just pulled smoothly. So now I am confused and most probably it's not the dsg at fault, but might be soot deposition in the plugs I feel. Can this be detected via VCDS? Santosh, when did you change the spark plugs in your Laura?
Old 1st February 2016, 00:02   #235
Senior - BHPian

Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-spee...

Eventful week. Another error popped up today, check oil level! I didn't have my 1 litre can today in the car, so had directly gone to a Shell bunk with a shop where they sell oil too. Bought a can, checked the current level, although the engine was hot, the level was very low. Topped up about 700 ml. Now I will have to see the level in the morning. What if I have overfilled it? How do I reduce the level in that case?

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 1st February 2016 at 00:04.
Old 1st February 2016, 17:19   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-spee...

Quote:
I tried to reproduce the problem in every gear but it only happens in 5th. So it was 5th gear, speed 50 kmh, rpm below 2K, and I floored the accelerator. As soon as the rpm crossed 2K, there was a small jump to about 2.3K, and then it just pulled smoothly. So now I am confused and most probably it's not the dsg at fault, but might be soot deposition in the plugs I feel. Can this be detected via VCDS? Santosh, when did you change the spark plugs in your Laura?
I think I changed spark plugs twice. At 35K Kms and 70K kms. Skoda service here recommends change every 30K kms or so. May not be necessary but one thing I noticed was before the replacement, i was starting to get similar jerky acceleration in a certain rpm band, which disappeared after spark plugs were changed. Cleaning them will help too but if you haven't changed till date, this would be a good time to do so.

Quote:
Eventful week. Another error popped up today, check oil level! I didn't have my 1 litre can today in the car, so had directly gone to a Shell bunk with a shop where they sell oil too. Bought a can, checked the current level, although the engine was hot, the level was very low. Topped up about 700 ml. Now I will have to see the level in the morning. What if I have overfilled it? How do I reduce the level in that case?
If you got a low oil light, 700ml is about right. Its a good idea to fill in batches of 250 ml and check level via dip stick and fill again if necessary. The manual says so too.
Old 8th February 2016, 19:57   #237
Senior - BHPian

Went to the service station today. Events listed below:

1) first complaint of the RPM fluctuation, we went for a trial, I could replicate the problem in gears 5 and 7, and also vibration in pick up in 2nd gear.
2) I asked for a full service meaning engine oil, oil filter, brake fluid, air filter, cabin filter and spark plugs.
3) they are reluctant to change spark plugs, showed me the schedule which states 90000 kms or 9 years!! But still I will get it changed anyhow.
4) same thing with brake fluid, insisted it doesn't need changing till 3 years, thereafter every 2 years. Will get it done too any way.
5) now about the main issue no.1, the problem was checked again by the service manager himself and he diagnosed it as a faulty multi-clutch. Request for part is placed and awaiting warranty approval and dispatch from plant, should take up almost a week.
They did not link the rpm fluctuation to the spark plugs, and insist it's the multi-clutch. Not mechatronic, which is a relief somewhat.
So, all other work will be done once the clutch is replaced. It will be claimed in extended warranty. Skoda service is really supporting me all through the way, only problem is, lousy service reps, one of them kept telling me to replace petrol filter. I looked at him strangely, he said, "sir aapko kya lagta hai, petrol filter ata hai Octeeviya me?" I refused as to my knowledge there is a lifetime fuel filter in petrol cars.
Shall update with another post as necessary.
Old 16th February 2016, 10:13   #238
BHPian

Hi Adi, Santosh

have you faced this issues -
1. when braking or deceleration, have you noticed that gear from D4 gear changes directly to D2.
2. Hesitation for the gear box while downshifting from D3 to D2.. I mean like a judder feeling. Is this normal with DSG?
3. Any clink sound like metal component move sound at lower speeds?

Last edited by Accent Martin : 16th February 2016 at 10:16.
Old 16th February 2016, 13:36   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent Martin View Post
Hi Adi, Santosh

have you faced this issues -
1. when braking or deceleration, have you noticed that gear from D4 gear changes directly to D2.
2. Hesitation for the gear box while downshifting from D3 to D2.. I mean like a judder feeling. Is this normal with DSG?
3. Any clink sound like metal component move sound at lower speeds?
1) No I haven't noticed that till date.
2) Again, there is no judder or hesitation from d3 to d2. I felt it only in pick up from d2.
3) Clink metallic sound is the Mechatronic struggling to decide which gear to apply! its present in all boxes and is common.

You should get your gearbox, mechatronic and multi-clutch checked up immediately.
Old 16th February 2016, 20:40   #240
BHPian

Today after reading few other blogs I tested on one thing - whether there is a judder from D3 to D2 while applying brakes. And I noticed there is none. Few other blogs suggested that car senses application of breaks while deceleration and accordingly downshifts . The judder that I felt although occasionally was when I allowed the car to decelerate own its own.

Regarding gear shift, when you apply sudden hard brake while on say D4, does your car move to D3 and then to D2? For me at times (only on sudden brakes) it shifts 2 gears down . I guess the car quickly adjusts itself to the speed . Possible?

Yeah Sure Adi. Thank you

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks