Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2018, 03:28   #301

re: Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Update: 111111 kms up! No surprises below:

In all, just

Attachment 1788324

Its getting difficult by the hour, thinking about a replacement that would be fitting in the Octy's shoes. I don't want to buy a diesel car
Then you certainly mustn't. Indulge in Gasoline-based cars for as long as you possibly can, lol.

I wouldn't go below the new 4-cylinder TT to replace this Octy
Old 13th August 2018, 07:27   #302
Senior - BHPian

The car really does look nice after the detailing work.

You can shop for the Carpro products online with Ultimate Detailerz.

https://ultimatedetailerz.com/
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2019, 12:13   #303
Senior - BHPian

re: Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update

123456 kms Update!
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-img_1834.jpg

There has not been much to report since the last update, the car is at 125500 KMS now. Truly, this vehicle has proved its mettle even though the gremlins it came with, all is addressed since some time and I'm pretty satisfied making me not itch for an upgrade.

Recent service at 115000 KMS was an expensive one as I had a couple of small issues to rectify. During service I asked them to change the spark plugs which cost about 2500 INR for the set. This time round I asked them to fill Motul 8100 Xcess instead of their 'drum stored' Castrol Magnatec. Service centre was cooperative but I feel that has to do with my car being already out of the four year extended warranty program. Wish that they had launched the six year plan last year in time for me to upgrade
Everything was good until I asked them to top up a bit of coolant. The mechanic over filled the coolant, and then removed some. I was very annoyed with this misadventure of his. A short test drive and we kept getting coolant low indication on the dash. The head technician was smart to diagnose the issue to a faulty expansion tank cap! I was amazed at this diagnosis, but he claimed we need to change the expansion tank it self that comes along with the cap. We did that, and problem solved. Driven about 10000 kms since, haven't needed to top up coolant at all. This did set me back by about 3000 INR.

I'm attaching the service details below for reference: Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-screenshot-20190228-12.03.36.png

Got a new set of tyres recently, yet another Michelin Pilot Sports 3ST. Was pretty happy with them but the life is just about 45000 Kms with some tread remaining, but tyres had become a bit stiff and ride was quite harsh due to this. Was losing grip under hard acceleration too so was not comfortable at all on the highway. Pretty happy as comfort levels are back and grip is obviously well, Grippy!

Going for all four brake pad change this weekend hopefully. This is an urgent issue that I need to address. I'm surprised as to why the dash is not showing any brake pad wear message as its barely 2-3mm of pads left when I checked during tyre swap.

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-img_1631.jpeg
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-img_1634.jpeg
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-img_1642.jpeg

People don't believe when I tell them my car is more than five years old, really I don't feel it looks that new.
adi_petrolhead is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 10:13   #304
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There has not been much to report since the last update, the car is at 125500 KMS now.
Wow, that's one good looking car. Neither does it look like a 5 year old car, nor one that's done 1.25 lakh km! Agreed with you on keeping it. It's very hard to upgrade from German D1 segment sedans. My brother who drives a Jetta is so happy with it that he's postponed his new car plans by a couple of years. They are true all-rounders that age really well too.

Quote:
Got a new set of tyres recently, yet another Michelin Pilot Sports 3ST
Very, very good tyres .
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 12:28   #305
sud
BHPian

Quote:
123456 kms Update!

There has not been much to report since the last update, the car is at 125500 KMS now. Truly, this vehicle has proved its mettle even though the gremlins it came with, all is addressed since some time and I'm pretty satisfied making me not itch for an upgrade.
Beautiful and Congratulations.

Quote:
Got a new set of tyres recently, yet another Michelin Pilot Sports 3ST.
I am just waiting for my current Continental MC5 to get its life over to change to Pilot Sport series. Too many punctures I am facing with Conti.
sud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 20:03   #306

Hello Adi and fellow team bhp mates

I also have a black Octavia 1.8 TSI (manufacturing March 2014) which has done about <50k kms. Everything has been great so far. Today while I was returning back in the evening, I saw the engine light came up while driving. I didn't feel any anomaly in AC, driving, transmission or anything. I pulled the car aside and went to hear the engine sound.
There is a brief click (spark like sound coming up every few seconds- audio attached), of which I have recorded the audio. I switched off the car for a minute to see if the symbol goes, but it was still there. Not seeing any known issue with my senses, I drove back home for about 8 kms - but without AC on a constant speed of about 70kmph, all on highway. Still didn't see any signs of problem.

The car was last serviced in Dec 2017 with about 38k on the odo, so I have done about 10K kms after last service. The time duration has passed and it given me the warning of Service and oil inspection. It was parked for couple of months after the last service as I moved to Bangalore from Gurgaon. I haven't done the servicing yet as I am in Bangalore and moving back to Gurgaon next month. I want to get the servicing done back home at Jai auto, where it has been serviced always.

Couple of facts:
1. I regularly check the engine oil and coolant levels. They look perfectly fine
2. The car had the 34h5 gearbox control unit software update done in the last service
3. In the next\ 4th service, the myskoda app suggests changing the spark plugs as per the schedule
4. Engine symbol picture and audio file of the engine sound attached. You might feel that the sound of engine is high, but it is because my phone audio recorder was just above the engine. I see it as completely normal as I hear everyday.
5. Don't worry about the other symbol - It is of the service due

It would be grateful if someone can help me point to the right direction, who has any idea about the issue or has encountered this in your car. At this time, I am not very keen to go to a SKODA service center in Bangalore as I am much comfortable at home.
I plan to scan it once and see what is shows in the VCDS. I will share the update after the scan.

Thanks in advance!
Rajat
Attached Thumbnails
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-20190330_182932.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: zip Octavia TSI engine+Electric spark sound.zip (114.8 KB, 100 views)
jazzyrajat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 09:26   #307
Senior - BHPian

Jazzyrajat your post seems incomplete. The spark noise you have recorded is present in my car but I'm not sure of the frequency of it. It's surely there. What seems to be the issue?
adi_petrolhead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 12:50   #308

Quote:
Jazzyrajat your post seems incomplete. The spark noise you have recorded is present in my car but I'm not sure of the frequency of it. It's surely there. What seems to be the issue?
Thanks Adi for checking on the spark noise in your car, appreciate it. I had scanned the car and got an error related to Engine malfunction but there were no details captured by VCDS. I will share the exact error code by evening as it is in another computer.

To check if this is a real issue, I cleared the error code and saw it it re-appeared. Fortunately, it didn't come again. I have driven the car for about another 100 kms and it hasn't come back again. I am assuming that this was a false alarm or would have re-appeared again it it was a real problem.
What do you think?

As I said, I haven't seen any abnormality in the car till now and all seems to be fine as before.

Thanks!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd April 2019 at 13:00. Reason: spacing
Old 4th April 2019, 07:24   #309
Senior - BHPian

Please do share a screenshot of the error code. It could be anything at this point. It hasn't reappeared because it's a sporadic error. The part that's malfunctioning is running ok at the moment but can throw an error anytime for a millisecond of abnormal behavior by itself. So best to take your car to the workshop, you shouldn't have cleared the error as I hope Skoda guys can still detect the issue in time.
Old 4th April 2019, 07:45   #310
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The part that's malfunctioning is running ok at the moment but can throw an error anytime for a millisecond of abnormal behavior by itself. So best to take your car to the workshop, you shouldn't have cleared the error as I hope Skoda guys can still detect the issue in time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyrajat View Post
To check if this is a real issue, I cleared the error code and saw it it re-appeared. Fortunately, it didn't come again. I have driven the car for about another 100 kms and it hasn't come back again. I am assuming that this was a false alarm or would have re-appeared again it it was a real problem.
What do you think?
+1 to Adi. It is not recommended to clear an error - especially with engine, without logging what the error was. If it is some issue at the beginning stage which involves some simple sensor replacement, it is better to get it done before the problem becomes severe resulting in some major repair work.

If you have a VCDS cable, do a full VCDS scan and see if the error is logged. Or next time you see this error, take it to the service center to check.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 12:04   #311
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyrajat View Post
Thanks Adi for checking on the spark noise in your car, appreciate it. I had scanned the car and got an error related to Engine malfunction but there were no details captured by VCDS. I will share the exact error code by evening as it is in another computer.

What do you think?

As I said, I haven't seen any abnormality in the car till now and all seems to be fine as before.

Thanks!
This is exhaust inspection system warning. This happened to me as well. Service centre team, after scanning, diagnosed it to be O2 sensor issue. They temporarily reset the error code and said it will be replaced if the error happens again. After few months the error popped up again. This time they replaced the sensor after checking. O2 sensor can cause reduced performance. Better to get it checked in service centre.

Attaching the specific error code I got.
Attached Images

Last edited by sud : 4th April 2019 at 12:09.
sud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 07:42   #312

Thank you gents for your responses. As you said, the warning as returned back again and I have parked the car. I will be taking to the service center next week.

Not sure if anyone has seen this before, below is the error which I had captured in the first instance. Any inputs to the damage will be appreciated

01-Engine -- Status: Malfunction 0010

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 01: Engine (J623-CJSA) Labels: None
Part No SW: 8V0 906 264 B HW: 06K 907 425 A
Component: 1.8l R4 TFSI H09 0002
Revision: --H09---
Coding: 0C2500322424000B0000
Shop #: WSC 73430 031 00063
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM18TFS0218V0 001002
ROD: N/A
VCID: 3B75D167B2907BC6811-806E

No ASAM data for: "EV_ECM18TFS0218V0" (SK37)
1 Fault Found:
15462 - ROD - Unknown Error Code
- 00 [172]
MIL ON - Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 18
Mileage: 48304 km
Date: 2019.03.30
Time: 11:37:56

Readiness: 0000 0000
Old 11th April 2019, 14:53   #313

Hello folks

I am back after the car service on Tuesday and need some expert reviews & suggestions. Engine malfunction warning light was diagnosed as coolant leakage from the Thermostat. I have been told that the light is coming up because the coolant is leaking and reaching the coupler fitted to thermostat. Images of leakage from termostat and seeping into the coupler are attached.
Do note that the leakage is very low and the reduction in coolant volume is not really visible. Perhaps the leakage increases over time.

Looking at the article from adi_petrolhead, I see that he had the same problem and this was replaced for him in the warranty.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...eview-219.html

adi_petrolhead - Do you remember what was the odo reading in your car when these were replaced? Just wondering about the pattern. My car is about 48K.

What I am not sure and would like clarity is about the secondary water pump. The SA told me that Octavia has a secondary water pump (apart from primary) fitted near Thermostat which is causing the leakage. Hence the Thermostat, Secondary water pump, coupler and wiring needs to be replaced. Estimate of about INR 40K and above.
Part numbers: Thermostat: 06L121111J, Water Pump: 06L121012A

However from my research, I have not been able to find out details about 2 waterpumps and the secondary water pump part number.
If someone could explain their assembly and placements would help to understand from where and how this leakage starts \ flows.

My car is not in warranty and hence told the SA that 40K is a considerable amount for thermostat and stuff at 48K odo reading. He suggested that I can still use the car and keep an eye on the collant levels. If it goes low, I should bring the car for replacement of the mentioned parts. Though, I was not very convinced on the engine malfunction light which will remain ON until this is fixed.
I brought back the car after the normal service to explore a little more and be completely sure that this is the real problem and will be fixed with the part diagnosed for replacement.

Yesterday, I was in heavy traffic jam with 5 KMs spend in 40 mins. I had an eye on the temperature and any other abnormalities. All looked okay. After driving for about another 10 kms, I saw the yellow EPC light came up and the "Engine speed max 4000 RPM" warning (images attached). I immediately stopped the vehicle on the side and switched off the engine. Restarted the engine and saw that the EPC and the RPM warning was gone. Checked online and read somewhere that this also comes up when there is abnormal and excessive fuel consumption. Not sure if this is a true reason. Also read that this is because of issue in the throttle body.
Today while on the way to office I drove for about 15-18 kms and again got the same EPC and Engine speed max 4000 RPM warning. The car performance degraded and felt that it was struggling to gain speed. Again, I stopped the vehicle and switched off. Restarted and saw the the warning was gone and car was back to normal. Drove another 5 kms upto office with normal performance.
Called up the SA and he said that this is due to the same issue of Thermostat and water pump. Not sure if this signals the issue to throttle body, which causes the EPC and RPM warning light.

One thing is sure that there is a serious problem which needs to be addressed ASAP and hence I am planning not to drive the vehicle until this is fixed. I am not so keen to go back to Vinayak skoda in Bangalore as I am moving back to Gurgaon by end of this month. I want to ensure that I can follow up to the same service center in case this is not fixed in one go, as I have seen lot of threads saying that the things were not fixed with multiple visits as well.
For me it would be possible only when I get it fixed back home at Gurgaon and go the the center if there are issue popping up again.

Apologies for the long thread, but wanted to cover as many facts as possible when I explain the issue.

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Attached Thumbnails
Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-engine-rpm.jpg  

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-epc.jpg  

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-leakage-coupler.jpg  

Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update-leakage-thermostat.jpg  

jazzyrajat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 12:48   #314
Senior - BHPian

Jazzyrajat

The issue in my car was at 100,000 plus kms. It was third water pump replacement as the previous two that were replaced under extended warranty did not solve the issue and it was diagnosed to the thermostat. As I have mentioned in my earlier post, the parts were changed under goodwill warranty as the issue was just cropping up for the third time, and car was just few kms out of extended warranty. You can definitely push for goodwill warranty and they'll ask you to pay for ancillary parts and fluids, labour, etc. Major parts will be replaced under goodwill warranty.

The issues you're reporting as to the EML lamp and EPC error and reduced RPM message are all linked to the coolant/thermostat issue. I don't believe either that there's a second water pump in the car? Just ask for all the part numbers and check them on Google, they'll come up with the exact associated part. Get these issues fixed ASAP.
Old 12th April 2019, 14:42   #315

Quote:
Jazzyrajat

The issues you're reporting as to the EML lamp and EPC error and reduced RPM message are all linked to the coolant/thermostat issue. I don't believe either that there's a second water pump in the car? Just ask for all the part numbers and check them on Google, they'll come up with the exact associated part. Get these issues fixed ASAP.
Thanks adi_petrolhead. Your message does give an assurance that the diagnosis seems to be in the right direction.

The part numbers provided were - Thermostat: 06L121111J, Water Pump: 06L121012A
I have looked through internet and in your posts and these are the same part which were replaced in your car. Unfortunately, I won't be able to claim goodwill warranty as my car is now 5 years old and I didn't even have the extended warranty. So technically it is out of warranty since last 3 years?

What I have done is, checked these parts on proxyparts website which supplies \ ships lot of replacement parts for European vehicles across the world. Upon inquiring, I understand that I will be able to get these new and original parts at about half the price which Skoda is asking for.
The only problem is that these would have to be replaced outside the A.S.S. which I am not very sure about. Though I know my cousin who has Octavia DSG Diesel consults a multi brand workshop in Gurgaon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks