Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2022, 21:35   #346
BHPian

Re: Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
8 years up & 180,000 km on the odo. Time to sell and get something new? Or you could do a lateral upgrade?
I agree. The amount of money he is putting in repairs is crazy. Is it worth it ?

Also the constant headache of something breaking down, finding a solution and the car spending days in the workshop.
drjaygoyal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 07:42   #347
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Its long over due. The 40-50 lakh budget is the most confusing budget ever. I’m not in to used cars, I know I might sound like a caveman, but I cant fathom the thought. My new car if they allow me, will unload it from the truck myself.
The trouble is, nothing for 40 - 50 lakhs will feel like an upgrade from the Octavia. If new, you will have to stretch a bit to the 330i. Be open to 1 - 2 year old pre-worshipped cars - my thread on the same ("Almost-New" used cars! The logic & beauty of buying 1 - 3 year old pre-worshipped cars). Under 50 lakhs, you could also get an M340i a year or two down the line .
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 08:41   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Its long over due. The 40-50 lakh budget is the most confusing budget ever.
As of now, the best upgrade for you, is the BMW 330i Sportline. It fits in your budget and ticks all the important boxes. Your monthly driving is high but you still went with a petrol car. So, mileage isn't an issue for you but reliability is. If you get hefty discounts on A35 AMG, then it's a good option too considering it gets 8 year/160000 km warranty on the engine, transmission, turbocharger and few other engine-bay components. However, its overall (lack of) space or low ground clearance could be the deal breakers. Next gen C300d (W206) could also be a good purchase but you'll need to extend your budget by 10 lakh rupees.
romil.shroff is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 18:16   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I’m shocked Varun’s car is 40K run the car is well maintained. Rims are drool worthy! Congrats and ping me anytime on the dms.
Thanks Adi.

I am going to start by requesting your help on upgrading the headlights. They are like candles and I just can't see the road ahead clearly.

Could you please suggest me a replacement bulb. I am ok with lower temp, not a fan of white light anyways.

Should the projectors be replaced or its ok to continue with stock projectors?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Raj
Old 3rd March 2022, 19:58   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Could you please suggest me a replacement bulb. I am ok with lower temp, not a fan of white light anyways.

Should the projectors be replaced or its ok to continue with stock projectors?
Raj, you can buy bulbs from Osram, Night-breaker lasers. Or you can opt for Morimoto. Just check the bulb type, I think they are D3S type with the inbuilt igniters.

You are lucky, Varun had recently replaced the entire headlights under warranty. So no need to change projectors. Just the bulbs will do the trick. Stick to colour temperatures below 5000K. You can also opt for better fog light bulbs, HB3 types, again I think Osram makes night breakers in that size as well.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 23:59   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Raj, you can buy bulbs from Osram, Night-breaker lasers. Or you can opt for Morimoto. Just check the bulb type, I think they are D3S type with the inbuilt igniters.

You are lucky, Varun had recently replaced the entire headlights under warranty. So no need to change projectors. Just the bulbs will do the trick. Stick to colour temperatures below 5000K. You can also opt for better fog light bulbs, HB3 types, again I think Osram makes night breakers in that size as well.

Thanks Adi.

Any specific D3S that you would recommend in case you have tried. There are several options so I’m not sure which would be the best.
Old 4th March 2022, 09:21   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Thanks Adi.

Any specific D3S that you would recommend in case you have tried. There are several options so I’m not sure which would be the best.
Already mentioned the good options available. Osram Night Breaker Lasers or Morimoto. the latter is half the price of Osrams. I had procured Osram ones from powerbulbs.co.uk website. I doubt they're shipping to India now, give it a try. Morimoto is locally available with the sole distributor Retrorides. Google it and you'll have all the info.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 21:48   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now the car has some issue either with the throttle body, MAF/MAP sensor, or there is an air leak in the intake manifold. Whatever it is, needs to be taken on a flatbed to the workshop, and I filled the car up with a full tank just today!! Shall update as things happen further.
Car is back. There is a silicone membrane in the good/bad oil separator, that had torn, presumably due to wear and tear, and was causing a leak in the vacuum. Part was ordered and replaced. Damage to pocket is Rs. 9000 including the part and labour.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 11:14   #354
BHPian

I have the same car in white which has done 60000 kms. I keep getting the "Leave car in P" Workshop warning. It flashes for a few seconds randomly on a trip (not all) and then disappears. Does this have something to do with the incorrect procedure undertaken during service? Perhaps, the errors weren't cleared properly or something. The car is running absolutely fine otherwise.
umairalvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 15:54   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umairalvi View Post
I have the same car in white which has done 60000 kms. I keep getting the "Leave car in P" Workshop warning. It flashes for a few seconds randomly on a trip (not all) and then disappears. Does this have something to do with the incorrect procedure undertaken during service? Perhaps, the errors weren't cleared properly or something. The car is running absolutely fine otherwise.
Need some more background about the issue but prima facie seems like the gear shift mechanism is giving trouble, need to replace the gearbox shifter mechanism. The part is known to be faulty. The shifter mechanism comes without the outer leather gear knob part, only the actual mechanical shifter needs to be replaced.
Old 25th March 2022, 16:28   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Need some more background about the issue but prima facie seems like the gear shift mechanism is giving trouble, need to replace the gearbox shifter mechanism. The part is known to be faulty. The shifter mechanism comes without the outer leather gear knob part, only the actual mechanical shifter needs to be replaced.
There is no more background to provide to be honest. I haven't seen a pattern with the error. It will just randomly flash for around 2 seconds in perhaps 1 in 3 trips and disappears.
I did read up a bit based on your reply and turns out, it indeed has something to do with gear selector switch.
Any idea what the repair / replacement cost would be if I choose to take the car in for repairs? My car is out of warranty.
Old 26th March 2022, 17:34   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umairalvi View Post
Any idea what the repair / replacement cost would be if I choose to take the car in for repairs? My car is out of warranty.
It would have logged the error in the memory, go get it scanned once. Should be under 20k with labour.
Old 26th March 2022, 21:15   #358
BANNED

These Germans are expensive to keep post warranty and I face similar issues with my polo that’s 8yr old but only 69k run.
3 gearbox repairs
Idler pulley tensioner etc
All 3 mounts
Ignition transformer
Steering racks
Front and rear suspension.
Wheel bearings
The repairs easily exceed the resale value of the car but what to do, I like the car a lot.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 21:47   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
3 gearbox repairs
Idler pulley tensioner etc
All 3 mounts
Ignition transformer
Steering racks
Front and rear suspension.
Wheel bearings
The repairs easily exceed the resale value of the car but what to do, I like the car a lot.
Most of these are wear and tear parts, though it seems accurate, expenses do pile up post warranty and certain kms. 10 years, 75k kms, my vento has seen almost similar expenses as mentioned by you. But definitely my Octavia takes the award for most high maintenance car we have owned till date. I sincerely hope it doesn’t pass the baton to my next buy.
Old 27th March 2022, 01:19   #360
BANNED

Quote:
Most of these are wear and tear parts, though it seems accurate, expenses do pile up post warranty and certain kms. 10 years, 75k kms, my vento has seen almost similar expenses as mentioned by you. But definitely my Octavia takes the award for most high maintenance car we have owned till date. I sincerely hope it doesn’t pass the baton to my next buy.
I would lean towards the bigger Germans for the next purchase.
VW/Skoda parts are priced high and still don’t last long. Audi & BMW seem to make better lasting cars with issues stemming mostly to the soft touch interior plastics. Would be nice to have a German car that does the little things right, drives well, and doesn’t break down every few months. However even BMW has complaints with using plastic instead of metal for certain parts, whoops!

Till the Toyotas of the world can make a car that rivals the Germans, I will stick to these stupid cars with their stupid expenses because they leave a stupid grin on my face.

I have a question to you, Have you ever faced this issue?
Climate control stays stuck in recirculate mode even if you press the fresh air/recirculate button. It will go into fresh air mode if i switch off AC or use MAX defrost mode. Somehow facing it in both my cars and i am thinking this is some stupid summer temp logic by VW instead of a failure. Because the flap for fresh air works but just under these 2 circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_nv View Post
Škoda cars are highly educative. In a typical 5 year ownership, the owner knows all the parts, procedures and forums. Compare that with any owner of a different brand (specially Honda or Toyota). That guy wouldn’t know even 1% most of the time. That has been my experience so far.
Truth. It is quite fun though as long as one has a backup car. I got to know about engine mounts, ac flap motors, gearbox components, different types of noises, some trysts with check engine lights, reverse lights and sensors not turning on and things like transformer leads and misfires. The Maruti, Hyundai, Toyota, and Honda never gave me this knowledge. My Fiat Palio was close. I have also found the VW mechanics to be way more knowledgeable than the other brands when it comes to troubleshooting, BECAUSE THEY SEE IT ALL TOO OFTEN!
Whatever, beats having me argue with Hyundai to replace gearbox mounts because they said “ no vibration sir this is normal” and with Toyota taking a month to diagnose the ESP and CEL light in a Fortuner under warranty. They were clueless. VW has been simple, quick diagnosis and its either the bill straight away or a wait for parts to arrive.

Last edited by H_Dogg72 : 27th March 2022 at 01:28.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks