Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2022, 22:23   #376
BHPian

Re: Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update

Excellent thread, deserves more than 5 stars. This thread had begun on May 2014 and the intent to sell/part away from the said car was posted on July 2022. Recently seeing few ownership threads in which the opening post is accompanied by an intent to sell conclusion.
I kindly request the original poster to continue providing unbiased coverage of the highs and lows of his future automobile ownership experiences.
Old 20th November 2022, 15:28   #377
BHPian

Re: Love Hate Relationship | My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance | EDIT: 180,000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
[*]Transmission: It is still one of the fastest boxes I have ever experienced in this segment, the shifts are still smooth, no weird noises, no jerks
[
Hey Adi,

I am evaluating pre-owned Octavias for personal purchase. Thread here (Fun-to-drive, used car for 20-lakh rupees). I am having a load of trouble deciding between 1.8TSI petrol and 2.0 TDI. You have personal experience and could really help me avoid any stupid mistakes.

I am torn in deciding the tradeoff between supposedly unreliable DQ200 and missing the multi-link suspension if I chose TDI. I need input on two questions:

1. How is your personal experience with DQ200? Is it as unreliable as made out to be?
2. Do you have any idea about the worst case of DQ200 troubles? How much money should be enough to fix the worst case?
Old 20th November 2022, 15:56   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit.shri View Post
1. How is your personal experience with DQ200? Is it as unreliable as made out to be?
2. Do you have any idea about the worst case of DQ200 troubles? How much money should be enough to fix the worst case?
It all depends.
1) How old are the cars you’re considering and what mileage? Do any of them have warranty left?
2) what is your use case for the car? Whether bumper to bumper traffic or highways? Your expected mileage per month?

For me, I had the gearbox replaced once under warranty. Before that the mechatronic was replaced with clutch and flywheel. Besides that I have gone through a lot of replacements, faults, long delays waiting for parts, etc. I have used the car for 186K kms in 9 years. If you get a car without warranty, and something fails in the gearbox side, you should be able to get it repaired in the aftermarket at a reasonable cost. Fixing at Skoda will be very expensive.

TDI octavias are known to be more trouble free, in comparison. But the common gremlins like water pump, thermostat, oil cooler, battery, etc are common but fixable at dealer at reasonable cost. So pick your poison based on your use case.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 16:30   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
It all depends.
1) How old are the cars you’re considering and what mileage? Do any of them have warranty left?
2) what is your use case for the car? Whether bumper to bumper traffic or highways? Your expected mileage per month?
Thanks for your answers

1. I am looking for Octavias that are driven for less than 50000 KMs and within 3 to 5 years old. I don't think they will have any warranty left.

2. I live in Bangalore, so it will mostly be bumper-to-bumper traffic with occasional highway drives. Let's assume a 70:30 split. I will not be driving more than 1500 kms a month.

Just to be sure, what do you mean by "reasonable" service cost? A ballpark figure would do.
Old 26th November 2022, 11:33   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. I am looking for Octavias that are driven for less than 50000 KMs and within 3 to 5 years old. I don't think they will have any warranty left.
If you consider 2016 upwards models, they have the option to extend the warranty before the standard 4 year warranty expires. You can extend it up to 6 years/150000 kms.

Quote:
2. I live in Bangalore, so it will mostly be bumper-to-bumper traffic with occasional highway drives. Let's assume a 70:30 split. I will not be driving more than 1500 kms a month.
If I had to choose, I would go for a TDI. Not only will it be more frugal, but you can safely assume the gearbox reliability to be better than TSI's DQ200 unit.

Quote:
Just to be sure, what do you mean by "reasonable" service cost? A ballpark figure would do.
One would have to be specific to get a figure for the repairs, but if you are able to extend the warranty, it'll be excellent. Otherwise lets say the clutch fails, you're looking at roughly 70K - 1 Lakh in out of pocket expenses. Sometimes its also possible to claim goodwill warranty if the car is just outside the warranty and has a genuine service history at the official service centres.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 10:46   #381
BHPian

Should I go for it?

Getting a 1.2 lac driven 2015 Skoda Octavia 1.8 AT TSI Petrol for 8L in Bangalore. Second owner, who bought it at 55K in 2018 and is in my society. I am yet to check the service records but current owner claims it is serviced at Skoda and I can have a look. Recent work history he told me was complete repair of the engine cooling system. I am guess it must be the water pump failure.

What are the dangers of owning a ~8yr old Skoda TSI AT?
Should I expect some heavy maintenance bills?
What should I look for to ensure?

I am looking for pre-loved automatic cars in Bangalore and don't want to break the bank with a new car.
Old 3rd December 2022, 16:43   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNG-motorhead View Post
Should I go for it?

Getting a 1.2 lac driven 2015 Skoda Octavia 1.8 AT TSI Petrol for 8L in Bangalore..
The mileage is too high for 8 lakh. Either reduce it to 6.5 lakh and do a thorough checkup at Skoda’s dealership, else walk away.
Old 19th February 2023, 20:53   #383

Dear team bhp ians,
I have a 2013 polo tdi, which has 135k on the pro. I’m looking for an upgrade, after a lot of thinking, whether to go for new or pre owned cars, now started looking for a pre owned cars. My preference is to stick to VW or Škoda brands. I got to know about a 2016 1.8tsi through my FNG who also deals with flipping cars. The car has done 66k kms. It is a MH registered vehicle in Bangalore. The asking price is 9.8lakhs. It has few cosmetic niggles inside like driver seat electronic adjustment is not working and some buttons in steering has got damaged. Outside paint has some scratches here and there. Took a test drive and the car feels good. Engine is very responsive and no issues felt mechanically.
The help required from your experience here is
- Whether the price is worthy considering MH registration
- Service history is not fully available.
- My FNG picked it up from Mumbai and was using here in Bangalore for past few months.
- Overall reliability of DSG gearbox with tsi engine. I don’t want to spend a bomb right after buying. Is there any advice here to check the condition.
@bng_motorhead. Did you go ahead with your purchase?
Old 20th February 2023, 09:41   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankar1989 View Post
I got to know about a 2016 1.8tsi through my FNG who also deals with flipping cars. The car has done 66k kms.
Skoda India now offers Anytime Warranty where in the car can be registered for extended warranty until 8 years or 150K kms. Just check the car’s registration date, if it is under 2525 days since the date of regustration, you can go for extended warranty for 1 year b 20000 kms, for INR 50K. Unfortunately due to the age of the car, you wont be allowed to renew this the next year. So there is a slight risk. I suggest you to take the car to a Skoda Dealership, preferably Tafe, get it inspected for the extended warranty, as such that is mandatory and it comes with a cool off period perhaps. That will give you a fair idea of the vehicle’s fitness, and be ready to spend around INR 50-80K if you wan to put it all right, over and above the cost of the extended warranty. Price seems very fair to me for a Style Plus Octavia from 2016.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 15:33   #385

Many thanks @adi_petrolhead.

It’s 2523 days as of today from date of registration. I don’t think I’ll be able to go to the skoda showroom. But I have been servicing my polo with him since last 2 years. He looks after all VAG cars. Other thing I was worried about getting the documents cleared since it is MH registered and driving the car in Bangalore. Any idea about how easy or difficult is to get NOC or name transfer done from other state RTO.

The car has some deep scratch marks on both fenders right above wheel well, which he says was done by street dogs. Also the roof fabric on the driver side A pillar has come out slightly and has some signs of water seepage and dried out eventually. Not sure whether he has kept sunroof open on a rainy day…

Any idea on cost of fixing the electronic driver seat adjustment setup. It’s stuck in a position and not moving anywhere
He is saying he will fix all the niggles before delivery. But I was thinking is there any room to negotiate the price considering the not so good cosmetic maintenance of the car.

Last edited by Eddy : 20th February 2023 at 15:40. Reason: Spacing for better readability
Old 20th February 2023, 16:13   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankar1989 View Post
He is saying he will fix all the niggles before delivery. But I was thinking is there any room to negotiate the price considering the not so good cosmetic maintenance of the car.
There are just too many red flags. Its a huge market and I am sure you'll find better examples of the same car in tip top condition. Do check our Team-BHP's own classifieds section. I would suggest you to stay away from this particular car.
The roof liner if has already started sagging, there is no easy way to fix this. A new roof liner costs INR 85K, OEM, from the dealer. The body work will cost you another 30-40K easy. The other wear and tear parts such as pads and discs will also cost you another 40K, you're looking at a huge bill and hassle of seeing everything through before you get delivery. Just skip it and find a car registered in KA instead of MH.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks