Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2017, 00:47   #376
Senior - BHPian

re: Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold

The Linea is doing amazing! Somehow, ever since buying Fiat cars, I keep seeing Puntos and Lineas on the road. I had my first Punto from 2009-2016. Current car was bought on May 16. Happy to report that its given me nothing but smiles.

It is the threads like yours that make me update my own ownership report and they have increased my confidence in Fiats.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 22:42   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

1,40,000 Kms

1,40,000 Kms Update:

After a slight pause, the ODO touches the 1,40,000 Kms mark. It took 37 days to move from 1,39,000 to 1,40,000 Kms, this is the longest duration for a 1000Km coverage

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-140000.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-c1.jpg

During recent Chennai drive,

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-c2.jpg

At the end of the drive, I saw this battery sign glowing, most probably an alternator or a battery issue. I will get this checked tomorrow.

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-c3.jpg

Also, its 10K Kms since the last service, so I will have to get this done as well.

I never thought that I will get lost on the Chennai - Bangalore route. I tried a different route as I was coming from Siruseri- Vandalur side of Chennai, I kind of lost the route and took some village route. The blessing is disguise was that it's a scenic route.

More details here

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-r1.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-r2.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-r4.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
The Linea is doing amazing! Somehow, ever since buying Fiat cars, I keep seeing Puntos and Lineas on the road. I had my first Punto from 2009-2016. Current car was bought on May 16. Happy to report that its given me nothing but smiles.

It is the threads like yours that make me update my own ownership report and they have increased my confidence in Fiats.
Thanks a lot for your very kind words
arun_josie is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 11:08   #378
Distinguished - BHPian

Alternator issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
At the end of the drive, I saw this battery sign glowing, most probably an alternator or a battery issue. I will get this checked tomorrow.
Update on the glowing battery warning light:

I took the car to FASS yesterday and they confirmed that the alternator has gone kaput. It needs a replacement but unfortunately they didn't have alternator for 1.3MJD in stock. So, they have raised an order and expecting it to be delivered today evening and fix it tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed.

And thankfully this is covered under Extended Warranty as total cost including labour charges comes to 16-17K.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2017, 14:19   #379
Distinguished - BHPian

Alternator replaced under extended warranty and servicing done:

Alternator replaced under extended warranty and servicing done:

Initially, it was suspected to be a ground cable issue, but replacing this didn't help to resolve the issue. Then, they narrowed it down to alternator. The part was ordered on Monday and they received it on Wednesday. It was fitted on Thursday morning.

Ground Cable with a cut

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-img_20171023_094247132.jpg

Here is the new alternator

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-img_20171026_091943920.jpg

The old one

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-img_20171026_092054135_ll.jpg

Servicing @ 1,40,842 Kms:

It was already 10K Kms since the last servicing, so I asked them to do the servicing and replace engine oil/filter, air filter, AC filter, Fuel filter, rear brake cleaning etc.

New Vs Old air filter and AC filter

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-img_20171026_093527836.jpg

Oil being drained out

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-img_20171026_094422800_ll.jpg

Oil filter

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-img_20171026_095235985.jpg

Billing:

Alternator was fully covered under extended warranty: 10,885.94(parts cost) + 3048.06(tax) + 472.00(labor cost) = 14406.00

Engine oil/filter + Air filter + AC filter + Fuel filter + Scheduled service charges + others = 7035.00/-

Ground Cable = 967/-

Next in line for Parts replacement:
  1. Front Brake Disc (both sides) - Currently its on the stock set
  2. Front Brake Pads (both sides) - Currently its on the 4th set
  3. Rear Brake Shoe (both sides), As per FASS(Vecto), one liner is in bad condition. - Currently its on the stock set

Last edited by arun_josie : 28th October 2017 at 14:22.
arun_josie is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th October 2017, 20:36   #380
Senior - BHPian

Re: Alternator replaced under extended warranty and servicing done:

Quote:
Alternator was fully covered under extended warranty: 10,885.94(parts cost)
Alternator (Part No : 59064216) of our Punto MJD was replaced under warranty back in Aug 2009. It was priced at ₹ 10843.07. Good to see that the price remains almost the same
Klub Class is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 13:40   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Alternator (Part No : 59064216) of our Punto MJD was replaced under warranty back in Aug 2009. It was priced at ₹ 10843.07. Good to see that the price remains almost the same
to see them charging the 2017 price way back in 2009.

On a serious note i think Fiat's service and spares costs are reasonable. I paid 4,941 Rs for the first service of 15000 kms which included Rs 300 for some consumables. He couldn't explain what they were and he said they add it to every bill. I was not convinced though. I let it go as it was already late and my Linea was being serviced in a different city.
bharatbits is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 14:36   #382
BHPian

That's a wonderfully maintained car! No one would believe it has clocked 140k. Is the headlamps stock? The lens in our car is getting yellowish around the top despite the car being in a covered parking most of the time and still running OEM bulbs.
--gKrish-- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 15:41   #383
BHPian

Quote:

Next in line for Parts replacement:
  1. Front Brake Disc (both sides) - Currently its on the stock set
  2. Front Brake Pads (both sides) - Currently its on the 4th set
  3. Rear Brake Shoe (both sides), As per FASS(Vecto), one liner is in bad condition. - Currently its on the stock set
Congratulations on reaching the 140k milestone

I had one query though. At the time of brake-pad replacement, do you just change the brake-pads or you skim the brake-discs also?
auto_enthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 20:20   #384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Thanks for the update. Good to know that the price is almost same for the last 7 years. Tax is on the higher side though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
On a serious note i think Fiat's service and spares costs are reasonable. I paid 4,941 Rs for the first service of 15000 kms which included Rs 300 for some consumables.
Yes, the price is reasonable including the overall maintenance cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
That's a wonderfully maintained car! No one would believe it has clocked 140k. Is the headlamps stock? The lens in our car is getting yellowish around the top despite the car being in a covered parking most of the time and still running OEM bulbs.
Thanks for your kind words, --gKrish--.
Regarding the headlamp unit, Front right unit was replaced at around 35K Kms(under warranty)for vibration issue. Left one is still the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
Congratulations on reaching the 140k milestone

I had one query though. At the time of brake-pad replacement, do you just change the brake-pads or you skim the brake-discs also?
Thanks auto_enthusiast!
No, I just ask them to replace the brake pads. Brake disc was never skimmed.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 17:28   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

Replaced the Brake Pads, Brake Discs and Rear Brake liners(Both sides)

Replaced the Brake Pads, Brake Discs and Rear Brake liners(Both sides):

Today, I got the Brake Pads, Brake Discs and Rear Brake liners(Both sides) replaced at Vecto Motors. This brings an end to the expensive maintenance month of my Linea.

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-img_20171031_092202150.jpg

Brake Pads:

So, now brake pads have been changed at intervals of 27434 Kms, 39577 Kms, 37702 Kms and 36263 Kms. Going in to the 5th set now.

Old Vs New

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-img_20171031_093005426_ll.jpg

Brake Discs:

Replacing for the first time. Probably the highway driving is the reason for this long life.

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-20171031_143823collage.jpg

Brake liners:

As mentioned before, the issue was with one liner on the rear left which required a replacement. But this comes as a set of 4 liners only, So replaced all.

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-img_20171031_094245420_ll.jpg

Overall damages to the pocket: 13954/-

Experience at Vecto Motors:

It was good during both the visits, this one and the previous one for alternator replacement. These were not major works, but still they were quick and surprisingly the billing was quick as well.

It would have been super good if they had alternator in stock. But it took 3 days for them to order and get the alternator.
arun_josie is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th November 2017, 21:58   #386
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyderabad - Bangalore Teambhp meet

Bangalore - Food Pyramid(Kothakota,Telangana) - Bangalore (927 Kms):

A long drive after some time and it was super fun. This drive was part of Hyderabad - Bangalore teambhp meet and overall distance covered during this trip was 927Kms.

The FE was on the lower side @ 16.4 Kmpl. I have no complaints though considering the speed maintained. And it is always fun driving with like minded people and spending some time over breakfast and lunch.

Some pics here,

Nice open roads

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-1.jpg

Cars parked at the breakfast place( Blue Moon Restaurant)

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-6.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-7.jpg

Cars parked at the lunch point( Food Pyramid)

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-9.jpg

A solo pic while exiting from Food Pyramid :-)

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-10.jpg

ODO Blinking:

During this drive, for few KMs the ODO started blinking. And the surprising part was, it stops blinking when the song changes in the Media Player/Ipod. However after a break, all was fine.

Over-Speeding Challan:

I got this over-speeding challan for doing 104Kmph in 80Kmph zone. Almost, every other car was caught here because it was a straight stretch and 90-100 is easily doable.

Here is the receipt that I received in my mobile "* RECEIPT * 25/11/17 07:33 AM We, DATA EVOLVE ANANTHPURAM TRAFFIC POLICE hereby confirm with thanks receipt of Rs. 435.00 due to us for goods / services provided."

Basically this is not a over-speeding violation receipt. I will see If I can report this via social media.

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-img_20171125_225001730_depth.jpg

ODO crossed 1,43,000 Kms today :-)

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-143000.jpg
arun_josie is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th November 2017, 23:07   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad - Bangalore Teambhp meet

Quote:
I got this over-speeding challan for doing 104Kmph in 80Kmph zone. Almost, every other car was caught here because it was a straight stretch and 90-100 is easily doable.

Basically this is not a over-speeding violation receipt. I will see If I can report this via social media.
@Arun, were you driving with your head-lights on at that point ?

Btw, what would you be reporting ? You were speeding, and you got challaned.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2017, 23:59   #388
BHPian

Nicely maintained car there arun_josie. Those alloys in particular are gorgeous.
petroguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 11:18   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Arun, were you driving with your head-lights on at that point ?
Yes, the head-lights were ON as it was early morning and foggy around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Btw, what would you be reporting ? You were speeding, and you got challaned.
I was expecting a challan for over-speeding, not for goods or any services provided by them. Now there is a good chance that all these fines are directly going in to their pockets and not to government.

Or is this how receipts are given?
Old 27th November 2017, 15:03   #390
BHPian

Quote:
I was expecting a challan for over-speeding, not for goods or any services provided by them.
Haha!! Love how they have worded the receipt to be polite as in like "Saarrr, early morning we are coming and setting up our goods (Speed Camera) and offering the service (manning a guy to operate the camera and a guy to hold a lathi and walk on the road to pull aside the cars caught on cam)"
manas_270 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed