Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2014, 11:37   #31
BHPian

re: Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty: '13 Fiat Linea MJD. 30,000 kms up

Congratulations on the car again Arun. The color choice is great for the Linea. The snaps at the beach are really good.
That's a lot of miles covered in a short period of time; great going. How often do you take to the highways?
Hope Fiat continue to provide an equally good after-sales experience.
aneezan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 12:50   #32
BHPian

re: Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty: '13 Fiat Linea MJD. 30,000 kms up

@Arun Josie. Congrats on getting a Fiat Linea . I drive one (1.3L MJD emo pk)for the past five years and has put in 87000 km. I am away almost half the time in a calender year and considering that this driving is done in 2.5 years. This is an excellent car with safety and features way beyond its price. Driving and handling on high ways is shear pleasure. On highways, City, Xylo, Rapid, Swift, SX4, Fabia SUV 500, Tavera etc do not match up to this car. And maintenance and repairs are not costly, as per my experience. In the long run, your won't regret your decision. Happy driving.
Couple of old photos of my black beau.
Attached Thumbnails
Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-dsc00287.jpg  

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-dsc00295.jpg  

alavandar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 13:09   #33
BHPian

A brillaint car and an excellent review. Congrats Arun, and hope you have a hassle free experience with the new machine.
Atif is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 13:32   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Sometimes, the cooling effect of the A/C isn’t consistent, even with the blower on for the back seat. The front-seat passengers will be freezing while those in the back are sweating.
Good choice for your new ride. I hope Fiat can keep you satisfied, as much as you were with Suzuki.

As for the air conditioning, the air throw from the rear central duct corresponds with what the blower setting is up front. If you notice, anything lower than five bars on the fan speed setting and the rear duct is useless. There is hardly any air coming out of it. I don't have any cooling issues on my car but what I have observed is the climate control can take a nap at times. The ambient temperature may have risen but the blower speed remains low and takes time to increase automatically. To balance cooling, I have directed the front central ducts to the back and rely on just the side ducts for the front. Yes; the side ducts also have limited draft of air coming out of them but does the job. Works as a good balance of the front passengers who are comfortable and plenty of air circulation for the rear passengers.

In line with the above aircon arrangement, after a long drive, I stepped in to the rear to take out the floor mats for dusting and then realized that it was quite cold at the back. You can try the arrangement I suggested and see if it improves.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 17th June 2014 at 13:34.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 14:39   #35
Senior - BHPian

Many congratulations Arun for the BNW Linea Emotion and welcome to the Fiat club.
I wish the car gives a niggle free service, from here on, for years to come.
Enjoy the ride and drive safe.

The Linea has a hard suspension and you would feel it at lower speeds but on the highway it glides over rough roads with ease. Well I personally feel that this car is meant specially for the highway and every time I take it out for a long drive it brings a smile on my face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
If yes, do you find any tangible improvements in the new model over yours? Is GC of both cars the same? The new model has 190 mm GC, comparable to a SUV.
The GC part has already been answered by Desdemona. Mechanically both the versions are same; the only tangible improvements in the new model are the better fit and finish of the dashboard including the material quality, the cruise control and the blinkers on the ORVM.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 17:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Linea! Excellent choise and it will not let you down. I too feel the 1st and 2nd gear to be not so good for city driving, especially when engine is not fully warmed up and we turn on ACC.

How much mileage do you get within Bangalore? I mean pure city mileage
funkykar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 18:18   #37
BHPian

Great Review mate! The car looks absolutely gorgeous and each and every detail is spot on. Exactly what a Linea owner feels like. The white is the best color for the Linea IMO and those turbine wheels ah just love them. Hope you do many happy miles with it.
Cheers
Naparajito is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 18:41   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Arun,

I had a short TD of new Linea on well paved road. Liked the car, was not that under-powered. Could take it to 100 kmph only & did not find roads to go beyond that. Possibly, > 100 kmph the power may feel little wanting, not sure though. Do you have plans for a remap/ tuning box?

Cheers
Dear Pradhan, With 1.3MJD fun starts at 100 kmph if you have the road and the inclination. I can promise you, above 100 kmph the car responds for even small tow pressure on the pedal like a fly by wire aircraft. Sunny is no match. Many Sunnies and Ventos have given up on me. (I drive an 1.3 MJD, without remapping/tuning box and have done 87000 km on it, most of it on open highways). Regds.

Note From T-BHP Support: Please spare a thought for our impressionable members and visitors before mentioning high-speeds. We discourage speeding and the mention of the same. Drive safe!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th June 2014 at 10:33. Reason: Spelling correction.
alavandar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 20:03   #39
BHPian

Congrats for the car, Arun. It is indeed a timeless beauty...

As someone already asked, would like to get your comparison between the DZire and Linea on factors like ride, handling, fuel economy, fatigue after long drives, time spent at the service center, etc.

I own a 75HP Punto that completed 65K Kms on the ODO and I have spent around Rs. 45K for servicing my car (excluding denting / painting / fuel etc.)

I have felt that the cost of maintaining a Fiat should be more or less same (if not cheaper) as Maruti.
devansn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 21:37   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
Many Sunnies and Ventos have given up on me. (I drive an 1.3 MJD, without remapping/tuning box and have done 87000 km on it, most of it on open highways). Regds.
If Vento TDI is driven by someone like you , I am sure it should cruise past a stock Linea 1.3 MJD. Where is the need of 1.6 MJD if the current one can reach good speeds so easily. We do not need more in our conditions. The only thing which we will benefit from the 1.6 MJD may be better driveability & reaching high speeds quicker.

Quote:
[b] It was just another long drive in my Dzire from Bangalore towards Nagercoil
Which Dzire model it was, the current one or the previous one? Linea is famous for the excellent ride quality. How does it compare with your earlier car in this deptt.? No doubt, Linea should be way better. Do you feel less fatigue in Linea on a long drive when compared to Dzire ?

Cheers

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th June 2014 at 10:37. Reason: removing the mention of high speeds. thanks :)
Old 17th June 2014, 23:01   #41
BHPian

OVER-SPEEDING ON PUBLIC ROADS:

Mod Note : Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Quote:
If Vento TDI is driven by someone like you , I am sure it should cruise past a stock Linea 1.3 MJD. Where is the need of 1.6 MJD if the current one can reach good speeds so easily. We do not need more in our conditions. The only thing which we will benefit from the 1.6 MJD may be better driveability & reaching high speeds quicker.
Cheers
Hi Pradhan
1. It is not only the question of which car climbs to higher speed faster. That's why I said fun starts at 100. When at high speeds we should feel comfortable, have firm road grip, feel planted, take curves without over or under steering, should be capable of weaving in and out, should not have a floating sensation, have a stiff/robust suspension to glide over uneven surfaces, good smooth gear shifting, should have confidence and judgement that the car can stop in the given distance if the need arises, should not have a rolling feeling while negotiating a curve etc. In all these departments, I give full marks to Linea. I have driven Indigo, Rapid, Duster, City, Fiesta on high ways and one does not feel as safe to push them to the limit as one can push a Linea.

2. On long isolated highways, many Dusters, Ventos and Sunnys I do not know whether they are stock or out of stock but definitely were out of breath and have given up. I cross my heart and say, many Ventos tried and gave up. I asked a friend who drives a Vento on the same highway (Chennai - Trichy) and he says the road is "bumpy" so he cannot drive as fast. And the same road on a Linea one never felt that way.

3. On long curving by pass roads (eg. Dharmapuri, Dindivanam) on a Linea one can be at 120 and still climbing on odo comfortably due to the car's planted grip on road and glide past on bumps. Other cars become a speck on the RVM. All with AC in full blast. I never switch it off (except for Ooty/ Kodai hill roads, windows rolled down, basically to listen horns of on coming traffic).

I suggest you try out a Linea on the four lane road between Villupuram - Ulundurpet - Perambalur - Trichy (TN) or Trichy-Thanjavur road on a lean day.(Between Perambalur - Trichy one should be extra careful due to careless and callous road users (like two wheelers/ cars/ trucks taking the wrong lane).

By the way, I do not propagate unsafe or rash driving but am merely stating this is what Linea is capable of. You look at a spot on road and it takes you there not an inch here or there. One should not try what one can try on an isolated stretches like the above roads, on a busy four lane roads like Bangalore -Mysore or a road without central divider like Ulundurpet - Salem.

Having said the above, since there is no 1.6L Linea, my eyes next are on an Audi (when I can afford) or a Passat (which I can afford). I am yet to test drive a Passat.

And makers like Fiat and Renault also probably know what their car can do, what Indian roads are and so are not in a hurry to come out with a higher capacity engine, I think.

Fiat's 1.3 MJD is powering so many cars but they cannot do what a Linea can do.

Last edited by GTO : 20th June 2014 at 15:59. Reason: see note in post
alavandar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 23:16   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Arun,
Heartiest congratulations on getting home the timeless beauty. The colour looks so royal on the car.
Happy many more mile crunching and drive safely.
Thanks ghodlur!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Congratulations on the car again Arun. The color choice is great for the Linea. The snaps at the beach are really good.
That's a lot of miles covered in a short period of time; great going. How often do you take to the highways?
Hope Fiat continue to provide an equally good after-sales experience.
Thanks aneezan!

I try to create oppurtunities for Highway drives Some times it clicks and some time it flops. On an average may be once a month.
Yes, for now I am satisfied with their service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
@Arun Josie. Congrats on getting a Fiat Linea . I drive one (1.3L MJD emo pk)for the past five years and has put in 87000 km. I am away almost half the time in a calender year and considering that this driving is done in 2.5 years.Happy driving.
Couple of old photos of my black beau.
Thanks alavandar!
Good to hear your comments especially after doing 87K Kms.
Nice pics there, by any chance, is it some where down south?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atif View Post
A brillaint car and an excellent review. Congrats Arun, and hope you have a hassle free experience with the new machine.
Thanks Atif!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Good choice for your new ride. I hope Fiat can keep you satisfied, as much as you were with Suzuki.
Thanks sandeepmohan!
Regarding the AC effect, sure i will try your suggestion. We had Climate control in Dzire as well and never faced any issues there despite no rear duct and the temp was always set to 24. Initially I was testing with the same temp in linea as well but it didn't work, may be due to the increase in cabin space. Now we set it to around 20-22 and works most of the time but at times the effect is less. Anyways, will try your suggesstion and will let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Many congratulations Arun for the BNW Linea Emotion and welcome to the Fiat club.
Enjoy the ride and drive safe.
Thanks Sommos!
Yes, its a pleasure on highways which has increased our monthly usage as well :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Congrats on the Linea! Excellent choise and it will not let you down.
How much mileage do you get within Bangalore? I mean pure city mileage
Thanks funkykar!
City FE is between 13-15(top up method), 100% AC, Occasional drives on NICE road. Most of the time its on the traffic heavy bannerghatta road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito View Post
Great Review mate! The car looks absolutely gorgeous and each and every detail is spot on.
Thanks Naparajito!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
Congrats for the car, Arun. It is indeed a timeless beauty...
As someone already asked, would like to get your comparison between the DZire and Linea on factors like ride, handling, fuel economy, fatigue after long drives, time spent at the service center, etc.
Thanks devansn!
Sure, at some point I will compare with Dzire. But Linea can't beat Dzire on FE and time spent at the service center

Quote:
Which Dzire model it was, the current one or the previous one? Linea is famous for the excellent ride quality. How does it compare with your earlier car in this deptt.? No doubt, Linea should be way better. Do you feel less fatigue in Linea on a long drive when compared to Dzire ?
Cheers
It was the older model. Within city limit and initial pickup, Dzire was better. On the Highway, Linea is way ahead no comparison required:-).
Fatigue, I don't see any difference between Linea and Dzire.
arun_josie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 00:15   #43
BHPian

Quote:
1. Thanks alavandar!
Good to hear your comments especially after doing 87K Kms.
Nice pics there, by any chance, is it some where down south?

2. We had Climate control in Dzire as well and never faced any issues there despite no rear duct and the temp was always set to 24. Initially I was testing with the same temp in linea as well but it didn't work, may be due to the increase in cabin space. Now we set it to around 20-22 and works most of the time but at times the effect is less. Anyways, will try your suggesstion and will let you know.

3. Within city limit and initial pickup, Dzire was better. On the Highway, Linea is way ahead no comparison required:-).
Fatigue, I don't see any difference between Linea and Dzire.
1. Those photos are taken in village roads of Thanjavur/ Ariyalur districts of TN. We live near Chennai.

2. AC I suggest you try setting the climat control at 16 deg auto initially and once the cabin is cool bring upto 22 deg. Also periodically check the pollen filter behind the glove compartment and have it cleaned.

Thanks for the complement on photos. I am adding few more ...from Coorg (Kodagu), Nagaraholle, Sri Rangapatna, Ooty -Kothagiri road (could not manage to upload more ..will try on another post)
Attached Thumbnails
Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-kodagu-coorg.jpg  

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-ooty-sterling.jpg  

alavandar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 00:41   #44
BHPian

Dear Forum members,
I would like to share a few more photographs from Coorg (Kodagu), Nagaraholle, Sri Rangapatna, Ooty -Kothagiri road. Hope its alright. Regards.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Photos.docx (1.56 MB, 2082 views)
alavandar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 09:45   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Apologies for being late in congratulating you on the thread for getting the Linea home. Looking forward to see the Linea pics opposite to 3M store just like you did with the Dzire.

Your review is on the dot, except for the audio piece. The prefacelift version's audio is nothing to write home about if you are an audiophile. On the niggles, the saving grace is they were fixed without much fuss.

Enjoy many more happy miles with the Linea.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks