Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2018, 21:31   #496
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin_turbo View Post
Wow. Really interesting thread. You are munching miles like crazy. That is the most i have seen someone drive. Shows your love and passion to driving and travel.

Also thread is so wonderfully written. This is second thread that i got addicted to after the VW Polo thread by Gannu. Now i am starting to go through all your travelogues.

Thanks a lot for your very kind words, mate.
Old 12th November 2018, 19:27   #497
BHPian

Sir, your journey with Linea rekindled old memories for me! My 2009 minimal grey Linea MJD ensured that I experienced the full range of emotions through the ownership - anger, joy, ecstasy, exasperation, delight, agony, till I finally sold her off in 2016 with roughly 1,92,000 kms on the odometer (the actual kms on the car was more than 2,00,000 kms as the car was driven without a functioning odometer for close to 5 months). The ownership experience itself started off on an eventful note when the new car was delivered with the ABS warning light flashing. While the temporary tie-up with TATA ensured that I had my fair share of exasperated service experiences, post break-up scenario wasn't pleasant either. The excruciatingly painful drive from my place to the only operational exclusive FIAT service centre located at the other end of the town was simply impractical. Though the engine was robust and the car reliable, small niggles needed constant attention. However, my love for the car meant that the car was only serviced at the company ASS and as a result the cost of ownership was steep.

In typical FIAT fashion, when frustration reaches the tipping point, you just need to take the car out for a long drive. This mantra worked for me too! Enough has been said & written on the dynamics and poise of this car! But you appreciate these positives fully when switch you to another car. I exchanged this car for a POLO TDi (the exchange offer actually sealed the deal given the low resale) and now my car ownership is back to being mundane.

Attaching pictures that I clicked when the car touched 1,50,000 milestone
Attached Thumbnails
Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-img_20160220_172100.jpg  

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-img_20141109_191735.jpg  

greenoval is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 09:03   #498
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenoval View Post
Sir, your journey with Linea rekindled old memories for me! My 2009 minimal grey Linea MJD ensured that I experienced the full range of emotions through the ownership - anger, joy, ecstasy, exasperation, delight, agony, till I finally sold her off in 2016 with roughly 1,92,000 kms on the odometer (the actual kms on the car was more than 2,00,000 kms as the car was driven without a functioning odometer for close to 5 months).

Thanks for sharing your experience. Its always nice to hear about a fulfilling car ownership with ODO more than 2L Kms. Off late I am seeing many Fiats in team bhp which are close to 2L Kms or crossed 2L Kms.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 02:48   #499
BHPian

Good to see you munching miles.

I was wondering how long did the batteries last on your Linea. Mine is exactly 2 years today and 29500 kms is showing signs of weakness. I have difficulty in getting the engine cranked early morning since few days. Ofcourse, November also marks the onset of winter season. However, no starting issue during the rest of the day.

2 years since purchase of the car and 2 years 9 months since battery manufacture. Is there any chance i can either claim full warranty or atleast on a pro rata basis? Stock battery is Exide 50 Ah and AFAIK they come with 24 months+24 months guarantee and warranty (pro rata) respectively.

Your views please.
Old 17th November 2018, 03:30   #500
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
2 years since purchase of the car and 2 years 9 months since battery manufacture. Is there any chance i can either claim full warranty or atleast on a pro rata basis? Stock battery is Exide 50 Ah and AFAIK they come with 24 months+24 months guarantee and warranty (pro rata) respectively.

Your views please.
Exide battery in my car lasted around 14 months only.(Some 19-20 months from manufacture date). The warranty period for battery was 18 months and Exide rejected the warranty request. Thankfully the dealer covered the cost and replaced it with Amaron. Since then it's close to 3 years and 1,40,000 Kms.

If the warranty period is 24 months for you then put a request at the earliest and try your luck. If not, go for Amaron.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 15:55   #501
Distinguished - BHPian

1,80,000 Service Update

1,80,000 Service Update
  • I got the engine oil/filter, air filter and AC filter replaced along with a complete checkup.
  • Battery is still in good condition.
  • One low beam had conked off, so got this replaced.
  • For engine oil, I had 1L in stock so I decided to use this as I have plans to try Synthetic oil next time.
  • Tyres are in good condition.
  • Total bill came to 4,309/-
Few pics,

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-1.jpg

AC Filter after 11K Kms of usage

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-2.jpg

Air filter

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-3.jpg

Tyres after 70K Kms

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-img_20181123_104515776.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-img_20181123_104520424.jpg

ODO @ 1,80,000 Kms

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-180000.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-img_20181207_205548984.jpg

Last edited by arun_josie : 8th December 2018 at 15:57.
arun_josie is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 20:17   #502
tud
BHPian

Re: 1,70,000 Kms Service Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
1,70,000 Kms Service Update:

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-7.jpg
Hi Arun, I ordered spares for my Punto for a full service from 99rpm. Instead of the power steering oil (Tutela| GI/E| DEXRON-III), they have sent me the auto transmission oil (which happens to have the same code GI/E and DEC IIIG). From the above image you have posted, looks like your service centre also used the same? Is it fine to use an auto transmission oil as a power steering oil?

And how many litres of coolant concentrate is required? And what is the mixing ration with water? 99rpm has sent me a couple of coolant packs from 2016 batch while the others are from 2017 batch. Do coolants have an expiry period before use?
Old 10th December 2018, 20:56   #503
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 1,70,000 Kms Service Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud View Post
Hi Arun, I ordered spares for my Punto for a full service from 99rpm. Instead of the power steering oil (Tutela| GI/E| DEXRON-III), they have sent me the auto transmission oil (which happens to have the same code GI/E and DEC IIIG). From the above image you have posted, looks like your service centre also used the same? Is it fine to use an auto transmission oil as a power steering oil?

And how many litres of coolant concentrate is required? And what is the mixing ration with water? 99rpm has sent me a couple of coolant packs from 2016 batch while the others are from 2017 batch. Do coolants have an expiry period before use?

These are the part codes, both are different.

59064670 - TRANS. OIL 1L SYN. TECHNYX 75W85 TO DUMMY 100ML

59064672 - POW.STRG.OIL 1L SYN-TUTELA GI/

And regarding the coolant, they used around 5L. They didn't use any powder mix, its ready to use 1L cans each.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 10:45   #504
BHPian

Hi Arun, In your experience did you ever come across Fiat ASS giving the brake pad thickness remaining on the brake pads after measuring with a caliper? Rather than going by visual judgement I think that would be a even more accurate way to assess whether the brake pads still have life left on them. I had seen the brake pad thickness at 8mm remaining on a Toyota service bill recently and was wondering if Fiat also does something similar. My advisor did not mention anything about it at 30k service and the braking was fine for me but now at 31k kms i don't feel the bite in braking and a recent panic braking didn't inspire confidence.
Old 20th December 2018, 10:50   #505
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Arun, In your experience did you ever come across Fiat ASS giving the brake pad thickness remaining on the brake pads after measuring with a caliper? Rather than going by visual judgement I think that would be a even more accurate way to assess whether the brake pads still have life left on them. I had seen the brake pad thickness at 8mm remaining on a Toyota service bill recently and was wondering if Fiat also does something similar. My advisor did not mention anything about it at 30k service and the braking was fine for me but now at 31k kms i don't feel the bite in braking and a recent panic braking didn't inspire confidence.
With FIAT it's always 2000 kms remaining on the pads.

Was once told at 20k interval that only 2000 kms is left, same when i went for next service at 30k interval and same when i went at 38k interval at which point i finally got it changed.

Yes. Toyota clearly mentions the thickness post measuring. Have seen this with my friends Fortuner couple of years back itself.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 10:54   #506
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Arun, In your experience did you ever come across Fiat ASS giving the brake pad thickness remaining on the brake pads after measuring with a caliper? Rather than going by visual judgement I think that would be a even more accurate way to assess whether the brake pads still have life left on them. I had seen the brake pad thickness at 8mm remaining on a Toyota service bill recently and was wondering if Fiat also does something similar.
Measuring the brake pad thickness is really the Toyota way. They have been doing this for all their cars since I have known it from a friend of mine who picked the Innova in 2010.

However, for my own car(s), visual inspection has been the only option to suggest or detest replacement of pads whenever the ASC has insisted.

Quote:
My advisor did not mention anything about it at 30k service and the braking was fine for me but now at 31k kms i don't feel the bite in braking and a recent panic braking didn't inspire confidence.
I have seen through this forum and other references that for Linea and Punto, 30-35K Km is good life out of the brake pads. Having said that, if you notice drastic change in braking abilities at 31,000 Km, you must for once get the pads inspected and the system bled once before taking a final call on replacing the pads altogether.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 22:24   #507
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Arun, In your experience did you ever come across Fiat ASS giving the brake pad thickness remaining on the brake pads after measuring with a caliper? Rather than going by visual judgement I think that would be a even more accurate way to assess whether the brake pads still have life left on them.
I remember True Sai FASS (Salem) measuring the thickness once, otherwise its all visual measurement only. As mentioned by parag, the average life of a brakepad is around 35K Kms. The max that I have got is 39500 Kms.

Last edited by arun_josie : 21st December 2018 at 22:27.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 22:32   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My advisor did not mention anything about it at 30k service and the braking was fine for me but now at 31k kms i don't feel the bite in braking and a recent panic braking didn't inspire confidence.
Looks like its time for a change of pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
..I went at 38k interval at which point I finally got it changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
...I have seen through this forum and other references that for Linea and Punto, 30-35K Km is good life out of the brake pads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
The max that I have got is 39500 Kms.
Guys, I'm on stock pads on my Abarth and the odo stands at 50,500 kms as of now. Should I be worried? At the 45k service, I was told its enough till 60k service. I have found no difference in braking capability.
Old 22nd December 2018, 10:29   #509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Guys, I'm on stock pads on my Abarth and the odo stands at 50,500 kms as of now. Should I be worried? At the 45k service, I was told its enough till 60k service. I have found no difference in braking capability.
You should not be worried, really! The average life for pads on Linea and Punto is 30000-35000 Km but that is just average.

In reality, depending on your driving style, route pattern, load on the car, the pads can certainly live longer and the reasons could be combination of all of just one of them prominently.

In my own case, I replaced the stock pads for Ertiga Diesel at 82,000 Km and the SA kept telling he hasn't seen them last above 30,000 km for most of the cars.

If your braking ability hasn't been compromised, everything seems normal including no abnormal noise while braking (especially when you reverse), the pads are good for few more km.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2019, 01:00   #510
Distinguished - BHPian

Happy New Year 2019 to all and Wishing everyone many happy and safe miles ahead!

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-img20181231wa0033.jpg

arun_josie is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks