Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2017, 08:38   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Summer road trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by couswheels View Post
Congratulations on completion of 1.2 lakh kms.

When will the cross country TL likely to get released?
Thank you couswheels.

I have started with it but will take some time as I am not getting enough time.
Old 22nd May 2017, 17:27   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Thank you couswheels.

Here is the travelogue of our summer road trip,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ali-chail.html
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 17:27   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you couswheels.

Here is the travelogue of our summer road trip,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ali-chail.html
Old 4th June 2017, 21:45   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

1,25,000 Kms Update:

1,25,000 Kms Update:

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-125000.jpg

ODO hit the 1,25,000 Kms milestone during the last drive to Trivandrum and back.

During the onward journey, I wanted to avoid the Nagercoil - Trivandrum, so we took the route via Madurai - Srivilliputhur - Rajapalayam - Tenkasi - Thenmala route,
  • Started from Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore - 4:30 AM
  • It took 10 and 15 mins respectively to cross Krishnagiri and Thoppur toll.
  • Stopped after Salem for Breakfast, this took around 30 mins.
  • Exited from 4L after crossing Madurai @ 10:15 AM.
  • From Madurai, its 2L and the roads are in very good condition.
  • Stopped at Srivilliputhur for some yummy palkovas.
  • Crossing Rajapalayam took around 10-15 mins.
  • Reached Tenkasi by 12:45 PM and stopped for 30 mins for lunch. This was at the famous Rahmath parotta stall
  • After this it was some nice 2L curvy roads till Trivandrum
  • Reached Trivandrum Airport road by 3:15 PM
  • Total time taken was 10H:45M
Overall, the roads are in very good condition throughout. A scenic drive and a great escape from the Marthandam traffic on the usual Nagercoil-Trivandrum road.

Here are some pics captured from my dashcam,

Towards Srivilliputhur - Rajapalayam
Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-p1.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-p2.jpg

After Rajapalayam
Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-p3.jpg

Wide curvy 2L roads after Tenkasi
Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-p4.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-p5.jpg

Some narrow roads that google maps suggested
Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-p6.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-p7.jpg

Later when we drove to Nagercoil from Trivandrum, it took us 2H:45M. The diversion for Marthandam flyover construction was around 13Kms and it took us 30 mins to cover that distance.

Return to Bangalore was a uneventful one.

The car was super dirty as it rained heavily in Trivandrum and later in Nagercoil. And I was not getting enough time to give a proper wash. So, I took it to a automated washing center which has come up near my home recently.

During the wash

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-w1.jpg

Getting dried-up after the wash
Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-w2.jpg

Overall quality was decent, with the main advantage being the time taken. It took around 15 minutes only. However, it required some manual cleaning as well. Maybe it doesn't work great if the dirt is more.

Something that I noticed after reaching home was, the brake dust on the alloys. I cleaned it immediately.
Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-w3.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-c1.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-capture.jpg

Niggles:

I have started getting the "Check Glow Plug" error in the MID during every start. It stays for 5-6 second and then disappears. So, will get this checked soon at FASS.

Last edited by arun_josie : 4th June 2017 at 21:50.
arun_josie is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 00:07   #350
Senior - BHPian

re: Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold

Around 1lakh KM the glow plugs tend to go weak or dead but not all of them at same point. Just remember when they test the glow plugs and change the faulty one, make sure they remover it when engine is cold or just about warm. It's not easy as unscrewing a spark plug but it has to be sprayed with wd40 or any other lubricant and then tighten and loosing very little before finally unscrewing it. I have seen enough damaged heads with broken glow plugs. Complete head has to be removed to take out the remaining broken glow plug from the head. Which is way costly then all the plugs. Only trained and experienced mechanic should remove them.
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 08:41   #351
Team-BHP Support

Re: 1,25,000 Kms Update:

Quote:
[*]Started from Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore - 4:30 AM[*]Reached Trivandrum Airport road by 3:15 PM
Haven't tried this route yet, but now surely will. I didn't think it would be this effective in saving time! Plus my home is on the north side of Trivandrum city, so I don't even need to enter the side if I come from Thenkasi - Nedumangad route.

Quote:
Later when we drove to Nagercoil from Trivandrum, it took us 2H:45M. The diversion for Marthandam flyover construction was around 13Kms and it took us 30 mins to cover that distance.
Tell me about it! Crossing this section has become a royal pain nowadays!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 16:39   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

I received a PM asking for the exact location of Rahmath Parotta Stall, here is the exact pin, Rahmath Parotta Stall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Around 1lakh KM the glow plugs tend to go weak or dead but not all of them at same point. Just remember when they test the glow plugs and change the faulty one, make sure they remover it when engine is cold or just about warm. It's not easy as unscrewing a spark plug but it has to be sprayed with wd40 or any other lubricant and then tighten and loosing very little before finally unscrewing it. I have seen enough damaged heads with broken glow plugs. Complete head has to be removed to take out the remaining broken glow plug from the head. Which is way costly then all the plugs. Only trained and experienced mechanic should remove them.
Thanks for the heads-up, Randhawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Haven't tried this route yet, but now surely will. I didn't think it would be this effective in saving time! Plus my home is on the north side of Trivandrum city, so I don't even need to enter the side if I come from Thenkasi - Nedumangad route.
Yes, even I didn't expect this timing difference. I was prepared for 12-13 Hours. But the road is good and even the traffic was less, so we were able to manage this timing.

During Courtallam season and Sabarimala season, the traffic will be on the higher side.

Quote:
Tell me about it! Crossing this section has become a royal pain nowadays!
I am not going to take this route again till the flyover construction is getting over. It was really a pain, and if you want to cross Nagercoil it will easily take another 30minutes.

I came to know that Nagercoil - Asaripallam- Karungal - Poovar - Trivandrum route is better these days. So, will try this next time.
Old 13th June 2017, 09:43   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

Puncture:

First puncture in this set of tyres. Here is the culprit, a piece from a star screwdriver. This went deep inside and the local tyre shop guy couldn't pull this out. So, I visited a nearby Bridgestone dealer and again their most experience guy had to intervene to pull this out.

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-20170609_121944.jpg

Glow Plug replaced under Extended Warranty:

The glow plug warning was little irritating, so took the car to Vecto Motors and got it replaced under extended warranty. So, no more warning in the MID :-).

Along with this, I replaced the fuel filter as well.

A quick Chennai drive:

I had some personal work in Chennai, so drove down to Chennai and back during the weekend. Couple of pics taken during the drive, speedsatya and paragsachania accompanied me in speedsatya's Crysta. We expected some rains but unfortunately it didn't but it was cloudy throughout.

Overall FE during this trip was 20Kmpl and ODO has crossed 1,26,000 Kms now.

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-3.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-1.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-2.jpg
arun_josie is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 09:45   #354
Distinguished - BHPian

Monsoon Drive

Back from another fantastic Monsoon drive.

We were 8 friends in 5 cars from Bangalore who participated in the Monsoon drive conducted by HVK. The Monsoon drive circuit was around Kolhapur, Chiplun, Amba Ghats for 462 Kms and a duration of close to 15 hours. This circuit was full of narrow and curvy roads. Of course, some minor off-roading as well. Overall, it was a super fun drive.

The route that we took to Kolhapur was via Tumkur-Birur-Shimoga-Sirsi-Hubli-Kolhapur. Two of the cars took the Yellapur route from Sirsi. Return was via the 4L highway throughout.

Total Kms: 1937.8
Fuel Efficiency: 18.3
Avg Speed: 59 Kmph
Duration: 32H:34M

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-20170702_094024.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-optimized20170701_085239.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-20170702_095712.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-img20170701wa0062.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-20170702_093515.jpg
arun_josie is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 13:43   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

ODO has crossed 1,29,000 Kms:

ODO has crossed 1,29,000 Kms:

The Car was too dirty after the Monsoon drive, so got it washed yesterday.

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-20170705_1234300.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-20170706_122914.jpg

And the stock bulbs have started giving up, earlier it was the number plate bulb then one of the fog lamp bulb gave up and now it is the second bulb on the number plate.

Niggles:

The tak-tak sound from the seat railing is back, I get this sound while going over speed breakers or pot-holes. I will get this checked during the next service. I have faced this issue before as well, but it disappeared on its own. Actually, if I reduce my weight it goes away

During the Monsoon drive, people behind observed black smoke during hard acceleration. So, I will have to get this checked as well.

And the change in engine note around 2.5-3K RPM is still there. So, I will have to report this too.
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 08:42   #356
Distinguished - BHPian

1,30,000 Kms

ODO has crossed the 1,30,000 Kms mark.

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-20170709_082544.jpg

And here is the ODO share, the percentage of highway drives has gone up to 55%, especially after our Himachal drive.

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-capture.jpg
arun_josie is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 10:08   #357
Senior - BHPian

Re: ODO has crossed 1,29,000 Kms:

Quote:
And the stock bulbs have started giving up, earlier it was the number plate bulb then one of the fog lamp bulb gave up and now it is the second bulb on the number plate.
I am assuming the bulbs (w5w) are from FASS. It is the problem with that particular stock/brand of number plate bulb they stock. I have been through the same, 3 bulbs fused, then I used OSRAM w5w bulbs, and now the issue is gone, my friend who changed them from same FASS also has the same issue.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 12:23   #358
Senior - BHPian

The issue with the rear number plate bulb as per my experience is that it's actually the not the quality of bulb to be blamed. The bulbs are pull type and the housing where the bulb fits is the issue. Metal connectors inside the housing gets loose and they don't connect to the bulb very well. You need to push them inwards from the housing wall for them to retain their strength to hold the bulb tight and not flicker or fuse the bulb again.

On your next service, get the EGR and intercooler cleaned. Will reduce the black smoke issue.

If you are having the heavy growl kind of note from the engine then you can't do anything about it. Its the way it will remain till end of the engine life.
Old 11th July 2017, 17:00   #359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
I am assuming the bulbs (w5w) are from FASS. It is the problem with that particular stock/brand of number plate bulb they stock. I have been through the same, 3 bulbs fused, then I used OSRAM w5w bulbs, and now the issue is gone, my friend who changed them from same FASS also has the same issue.
Hey these are the OEM bulbs which came with the car. So, I think it has given a good life. Regarding the number plate bulb, first it was the left side bulb and now its the right side one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
The issue with the rear number plate bulb as per my experience is that it's actually the not the quality of bulb to be blamed. The bulbs are pull type and the housing where the bulb fits is the issue. Metal connectors inside the housing gets loose and they don't connect to the bulb very well. You need to push them inwards from the housing wall for them to retain their strength to hold the bulb tight and not flicker or fuse the bulb again.
I will keep a note of this.

Quote:
On your next service, get the EGR and intercooler cleaned. Will reduce the black smoke issue.
I have cleaned this @75K Kms. So, I was planning to do this around 1.5L Kms.

Is there any recommended duration for EGR/Intercooler cleaning?

Quote:
If you are having the heavy growl kind of note from the engine then you can't do anything about it. Its the way it will remain till end of the engine life.
This sound started after the timing chain replacement and it was the new type timing chain this time. So, I will ask FASS to check this during the next service.
Old 11th July 2017, 20:01   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have cleaned this @75K Kms. So, I was planning to do this around 1.5L Kms.

Is there any recommended duration for EGR/Intercooler cleaning?

For Maruti cars with 1.3MJD engine there is a duration and Fiat also but not sure at what intervals. I usually get it done at every third service(every 45k). EGR gets more dirty if city driving is more or stop and start durations is less. Note-If you trust your ASC then fine otherwise get the fuel filter, air filter replaced in front of you and make sure when they clean the EGR then they also clean the intercooler

This sound started after the timing chain replacement and it was the new type timing chain this time. So, I will ask FASS to check this during the next service.
Does the noise increase at very high rpm or its kind of mixes up with the engine noise when revved hard? I had a noise issue once. Which took lot of time to diagnose, culprit was the oil pump bearing and whole assembly had to be changed at 90k. On our engine, it usually few things which have similar noise pattern. 1. Idler pulley 2. Water Pump 3. Oil pump bearing.

If things were not done properly then it could be the chain tensioner/ pads. I have seen at ASC mechanics not changing chain tensioner and particularly the camshaft, crankshaft sprockets. But all depends how good is your ASC and trustworthy.

Last edited by Randhawa : 11th July 2017 at 20:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks