Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2017, 13:10   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Does the noise increase at very high rpm or its kind of mixes up with the engine noise when revved hard?
It comes around 2.5-3K RPM and then disappears, the engine note will be loud during this period. FASS has acknowledged this sound but asked me to run few thousand Kms and agreed to check during the next service.

One more sound that I have observed is a very mild tractorish sound which comes around 800-1000 RPM. Its little difficult to convince others though.

And regarding your concerns on servicing, I stay with the car during servicing and make sure all the jobs are done properly.
Old 12th July 2017, 15:38   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
It comes around 2.5-3K RPM and then disappears, the engine note will be loud during this period. FASS has acknowledged this sound but asked me to run few thousand Kms and agreed to check during the next service.

One more sound that I have observed is a very mild tractorish sound which comes around 800-1000 RPM. Its little difficult to convince others though.

And regarding your concerns on servicing, I stay with the car during servicing and make sure all the jobs are done properly.
OK, I think if your FASC has acknowledged it then better have them deal with it. un-wanted noises can drive people like us crazy If the noise disappears then it can't be anything which has bearing. I could give you some pointers but it will confuse and mislead you. So lets see what your mechanics say about it on your next service. I am assuming you got all the aux belts changed at the right interval.

Other noise you mentioned- Is it only on idle and when engine is cold or warm? Do you hear it at low RPMs when you start moving in smaller gears? Is it kind of heavy knock but not rattly?
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 13:49   #363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OK, I think if your FASC has acknowledged it then better have them deal with it. un-wanted noises can drive people like us crazy If the noise disappears then it can't be anything which has bearing. I could give you some pointers but it will confuse and mislead you. So lets see what your mechanics say about it on your next service. I am assuming you got all the aux belts changed at the right interval.
Yes, I will check with FASS during the next service. Regarding Aux belts, this was replaced 20K Kms back.

Quote:

Other noise you mentioned- Is it only on idle and when engine is cold or warm? Do you hear it at low RPMs when you start moving in smaller gears? Is it kind of heavy knock but not rattly?
Not on idle, but its kind of from the cold start itself and very very mild. Not the knocking sound for sure. Mostly on the 2nd and 3rd gear at around 1K RPM.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 19:24   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not on idle, but its kind of from the cold start itself and very very mild. Not the knocking sound for sure. Mostly on the 2nd and 3rd gear at around 1K RPM.
Get the EGR cleaned and then let me know if that noise is still there Mechanics could not explain me how this noise is related to dirty EGR and neither did I scratched my brains to get to the bottom of it. But they are related. Regular EGR cleaning will make this noise vanish and dirty EGR will make it more pronounced. At one point I even thought that something was wrong with the con rod big ends and even got that checked when I got the chain replaced. It was accidentally I found out that cleaning the EGR helps keeping this noise down or totally gone for some time. On some 1.3MJD it's so pronounced that makes you . It used to irritate me a lot and it started when I had done only 10k but no one could hear it apart from me
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 09:22   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

ODO has crossed 1,31,000 Kms:

During the weekend, we went on a quick breakfast drive with friends to Kunigal for some nice thatte idlies and vada. We went via Magadi and returned via Nelamangala. The only complaint was that this was a very short drive, 180 Kms in total.

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-20170723_061107.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-img20170723wa0013.jpg

Before this drive I did a Water-less wash, I would have used less than a litre of water. And then applied some wax.

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-20170722_143244.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-img20170722wa0060.jpg

Servicing is still pending with close to 10K Kms since the last service.

Quote:
Get the EGR cleaned and then let me know if that noise is still there Mechanics could not explain me how this noise is related to dirty EGR and neither did I scratched my brains to get to the bottom of it. But they are related. Regular EGR cleaning will make this noise vanish and dirty EGR will make it more pronounced.
Sure, I will try this
Old 8th August 2017, 11:08   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Service @ 1,31,000 Kms

Service Update:

Before this servicing I actually wanted a MJDian to test drive my car. So I checked with nkrishnap, we planned to meet but unfortunately couldn't meet due to a last minute hurdle. Later I got a chance to meet paragsachania and he test drove my car. Here was his feedback,

Feedback 1: He mentioned that the mild clatter/tractorish sound which comes around 800-1000 RPM is very normal.

Feedback 2: The loud engine note/humming noise around 2.5-3K RPM could be due to flywheel which was not replaced during the clutch assembly replacement. So, I decided to check on this with Vecto.

Service @ Vecto Motors:

It was 10K Kms since the last service and since there was no major work pending, I decided to get this done at Vecto Motors. During this service I got the engine oil/filter replaced, air filter replaced, cabin filter replaced and the rear number plate bulb replaced. Also, complete check-up/servicing was done.

Total bill came to 5144/- (This includes 947/- as CGST/SGST for parts and labor)

For the loud engine note/humming noise around 2.5-3K RPM, Vecto guys told that it is more to do with the new model timing chain but they were not confident in what they were saying. Also, they didn't agree that flywheel is the cause for this issue. So, most probably I will check with True Sai guys next time.

Some pics,

Vecto was unusually not crowded, when I checked with them they said this is the situation after the GST.

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-vecto1.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-vecto2.jpg

Air Filter (Old one Vs New one)
Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-airfilter.jpg

AC filter - Old one
Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-acfilter.jpg

Looks like during the servicing, they did a top-up of coolant well above the maximum level. I noticed this only the next day, for now I have left it as it is.
Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-cl.jpg

Crossed the 1,32,000 Kms mark exactly after 3 years and 6 months.
Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-132000.jpg
arun_josie is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 11:20   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Service @ 1,31,000 Kms

Quote:
Service Update:
For the loud engine note/humming noise around 2.5-3K RPM, Vecto guys told that it is more to do with the new model timing chain but they were not confident in what they were saying. Also, they didn't agree that flywheel is the cause for this issue. So, most probably I will check with True Sai guys next time.
The noise you are talking about is very much there in my car too post the Clutch plates and flywheel change. My car does not have the new type timing chain yet and still the noise is there. Relating the noise to the timing chain is just an escape route taken by the Service center guys. Though the drive has no issues with crisp clutch bite and drive, however this noise is pretty annoying actually.

Will need to figure a way out to fix this noise. I am in touch with the Fiat guys to have this sorted out.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 17:03   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The noise you are talking about is very much there in my car too post the Clutch plates and flywheel change.
Ok. I thought this got resolved after you replaced the flywheel

Quote:
My car does not have the new type timing chain yet and still the noise is there. Relating the noise to the timing chain is just an escape route taken by the Service center guys.
Yes, they were saying that 2-3 cars reported this issue after the new type timing chain and it got resolved by itself after 20K Kms. Also, the technician informed me that its because of more lubrication in the new type timing chain, I am not buying this logic though.
Quote:
Though the drive has no issues with crisp clutch bite and drive, however this noise is pretty annoying actually.
Yes, no issues with the performance at all, it is just the noise between those RPMs.

Quote:
Will need to figure a way out to fix this noise. I am in touch with the Fiat guys to have this sorted out.
Old 8th August 2017, 22:30   #369
Senior - BHPian

New chain =more lubrication hahaha what a bunch of Idiots. Why you didn't get the EGR cleaned?
Old 10th August 2017, 09:33   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why you didn't get the EGR cleaned?
I am planning to do this at True Sai, Salem as they do a better job. So, I didn't do this at Vecto this time.
Old 10th August 2017, 10:09   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like during the servicing, they did a top-up of coolant well above the maximum level. I noticed this only the next day, for now I have left it as it is.
I would suggest flushing out the excess coolant with the help of a manual siphon pump (aka kerosene pump). No need to visit the service for this.

No harm even if you leave it as is, the excess coolant will eventually spill out from the tank through the over flow. But why put excess pressure on the plumbing once the coolant gets hot and expands? And it could also create a mess in the engine bay with the steam and splash.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 09:26   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

A trip to Nagercoil - Trivandrum and back

A trip to Nagercoil - Trivandrum and back:

Being a long weekend, I had to plan the drive around the mad rush. So, decided to start little early on Friday before others drive onto the highway. Started from BG road around 12:30 PM and it really helped us to escape the crowd. All the tolls were empty. Here is a pic from thoppur toll,

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-20170811_142314.jpg

Random pics,

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-20170811_171109.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-20170811_175725.jpg

With an one hour stop at Capsi for dinner, we reached Nagercoil by 9:30 PM.

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-index.jpg

Next two days were spent in Trivandum as I had some work there. We partially bypassed the Marthandam flyover work by taking a different route. But the traffic was still very heavy till Trivandrum. Overall it took 2H:30M.

Alternate route to Nagercoil from Trivandrum:

For the return trip from Trivandrum to Nagercoil, we avoided the NH totally to escape the congestion on the Trivandrum - Nagercoil highway (Marthandam Flyover work and the Parvathipuram flyover work). This route was via Poovar, Uchakkada, Thirumannam, Kannanagam Junction Bus Stop, Pudhukkadai, Karungal, Thingal Nagar, Asaripallam, Nagercoil Collector office. This route was close to 81Kms and took 2H:15M only.

Alternate route to Nagercoil from Trivandrum
Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-map.jpg

It was a stress-free drive with sparse traffic except for some minor traffic while crossing small towns. The roads are in good condition now(It used to be bad before) and narrow at some places. Overall, I would prefer this route any time over the congested NH.

Some pics captured from my dashcam,

Street Circuit :-)
Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-capture1.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-capture2.jpg

Greenery all around

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-capture3.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-capture4.jpg

Nagercoil - Bangalore:

It was uneventful quick one. Started at 4:15 AM and reached bangalore by 12:30 PM. Stopped for breakfast + refueling at A2B/BP, Madurai and another quick stop after crossing Krishnagiri.

Overall trip details,

Distance: 1539.9 Kms
FE: 18.1
Average Speed: 61Kmph
Duration: 25H:08M

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-collage.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I would suggest flushing out the excess coolant with the help of a manual siphon pump (aka kerosene pump). No need to visit the service for this.

No harm even if you leave it as is, the excess coolant will eventually spill out from the tank through the over flow. But why put excess pressure on the plumbing once the coolant gets hot and expands? And it could also create a mess in the engine bay with the steam and splash.
Thanks deetjohn! I removed around 250-300ml of coolant using a larger sized syringe.

Last edited by arun_josie : 17th August 2017 at 09:32.
arun_josie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 10:32   #373
Team-BHP Support

Re: A trip to Nagercoil - Trivandrum and back

Quote:
A trip to Nagercoil - Trivandrum and back:

Next two days were spent in Trivandum as I had some work there.
Didn't know about this part of the drive! I was also at Trivandrum only for the weekend, as you are already aware.

How good is the food served / service quality at Capsi these days? Haven't stopped for more than a year now since the service was starting to get very delayed after the initial order is taken.
Old 17th August 2017, 16:38   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Didn't know about this part of the drive! I was also at Trivandrum only for the weekend, as you are already aware.
This was not a planned one and it was supposed to be same day return. But I had to stay back for couple of days and it was little hectic. So, I didn't bother to disturb you. There is always a next time .

Quote:
How good is the food served / service quality at Capsi these days? Haven't stopped for more than a year now since the service was starting to get very delayed after the initial order is taken.
Yes, service is not as fast as other hotels on the highway. But the food served is good here, little expensive though.
Old 17th September 2017, 12:58   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

Nothing much to update apart from the ODO which keeps ticking and has crossed 1,39,000 Kms.

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-o1.jpg

Couple of pics from my drive to Adoor(Kerala) to attend my friends wedding and a unplanned visit to Trivandrum.

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-20170824_091804.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-o2.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-img20170912wa0017.jpg

I thought of taking Compass test drive in Tirunelveli, but unfortanately it was out to a nearby town for test drive.

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-o3.jpg
arun_josie is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed