Team-BHP - Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/151984-unexpected-love-affair-italian-beauty-fiat-linea-mjd-edit-sold.html)

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty – Fiat Linea MJD 2013

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-bot5optimized.jpg

January 4th, 2014: The new year started with a bang for me:). It was just another long drive in my Dzire from Bangalore towards Nagercoil (Kanyakumari Dist), the route was through Salem-Dharapuram(had some work there and hence the deviation in route) -Dindugal-Nagercoil) and as always, I was enjoying this long drive as well. I had a close friend for company till Dindugal and then it was a solo drive. Unfortunately, the drive ended abruptly 80Kms before my destination .

For more details on the accident, you can refer to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...d-my-life.html

After discussing with few team-bhpians, friends and family, I decided to go with the IDV pay-out from the insurance company and go for a new car/used car. Sticking to the Dzire meant I will have to spend minimum of 1L from my pocket + resale value will get affected badly + end result of the repair work was a question mark due to some major damages to the under body + Airbag needs to be replaced.

Search for the next car begins with a tight budget for a decent sedan or SUV :
Our original plan for the next car was to take the Dzire till 1.25-1.5L and then move up to XUV500 or the yet-to-be launched SUV from Maruti or SX4 Cross-Over. However due to a limited budget after the accident, our first plan was to look at the used car market. I was very hesitant to look in the used car market due to the fear of the unknown. I was fine with a used car if it comes from close circles or from any distinguished team-bhpians. I was looking at Dzire/SX4 ZDi , or any other well maintained Diesel sedan. But this didn’t click. So, we moved on to the next plan of looking for a new car.

Requirement:

Selection Process - Test drive report

Test Drive Route: We decided to test drive all the cars in the same route so that it will help us to compare easily. The test drive route was the traffic heavy BG road, NICE Road and then some real bad roads off BG road. My wife took the rear seat always during the test drives to experience the back seat comfort.

Ertiga( 3 Test Drives):

Dislikes:Fiesta Classic(Two Test drives):
This is the second time we are having a try @ Ford. Before booking Dzire in 2011, we were more interested in Fiesta Classic, but a bad dealership experience @ Lathangi made sure that we move away from Ford. This time again we had to check @ Lathangi since this dealer is closer for us,

Despite being obviously out of our budget, we couldn’t resist taking this for a test drive.

I was interested in this because there was an offer going on in which the down-payment was around 3.5L and EMI starts after 15months(this offer was for 2013 models only). This very much suited to our financial situation and hence we showed interest despite the –ve feedbacks on their customer service. But, top end models were sold out under this scheme. I checked with all the dealers in Bangalore but in vain.

Vento:
I have done a test drive couple of years back and liked its power, stability, build quality. But it was outside our budget at around 11.5L for top end.

Verna/New Honda City:
These were dropped since the variants that we were looking at were outside our budget.

Ritz/Punto:
I also thought of Ritz and Punto but my wife was not interested because of less boot space.

Linea MJD Emotion(Two Test drives):
This is our second attempt on Linea. Previously we ignored Linea due to ground clearance, but this time with good ground clearance we were interested in it. Some time back I drove my cousin’s Linea MJD from Bangalore to Nagercoil(670 Kms) and I was impressed with its handling on the highway. I had a discussion with KarthikK and Krishna(nkrishnap) and they suggested me to go with a test drive since some good discounts were going on for 2013 models.

Likes:Dislikes:After the entire test drives on all the options we considered, we decided to go with Fiesta Classic or Linea MJD. Maruti lost out because SX4 is not a VFM at all and Ertiga was not in our range but still I was keeping this in mind.

Fiesta Classic Vs Linea MJD Emotion

The difference in price after estimation of accessories for Fiesta, came to around 50K-70K.

What we get in Linea for this 50-70K difference (approx)Final Decision: We decided to go with Linea and the only concern about the car that we considered was that this car was lying idle with the dealer for close to 9 months. However, we couldn’t find anything suspicious. The explanation given by the dealer was, this car was booked for some government office and after a long delay, they dropped the booking due to some internal issues. KarthikK helped with a thorough PDI and we couldn’t find any major red-flag issues with the car.

With all the above positives and after having one more discussion with KarthiK, Krishna(nkrishnap), my cousin and going through multiple Linea/Punto ownership threads, we decided to take the plunge with Fiat. Ertiga would have been a very close contender if not for my wife’s feedback .

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-bot4optimized.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-bot15optimized.jpg

Dealership Experience @ Vecto Motors:

I would say this experience could have been lot better if not for the Service Advisor who handled this sale.My elder son collecting the keys,

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-img_6779optimized.jpg

With his cousin,
Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-ot17optimized.jpg

My younger son,
Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-ot18optimized.jpg
Service Experience @ Vecto Motors:

Likes after driving 13000+ Kms(132 days/4months and 13 days):Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-snap1.jpg

Thanks to Anurag for assisting with the above chart.Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-1.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-2.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-3optimized.jpgUnexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-iot1optimized.jpgUnexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-iot3optimized.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-iot12optimized.jpgUnexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-iot4optimized.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-iot5optimized.jpgSome interior pics,

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-bdscn5296optimized.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-bdscn5300optimized.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-bdscn5317optimized.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-bdscn5323optimized.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-biot11optimized.jpg

Dislikes:Neutrals:

Issues faced/Parts changed under warranty:Service Experience @ Vecto Motors:My Overall impression on Fiat based on my current experience

A word about my previous cars:

Fiat Padmini: First car in our family, my dad used to drive this one and the car which pulled me towards driving. I learned and stabilized my driving skill in this car.

Wagonr Lxi: 5 years and around 63000 Kms, during my entire ownership I never came up with any reliability issues or spare parts quality issue. No niggles as well.

This was the last pic before selling the car,

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-ot01optimized.jpg

Dzire ZDI(Diesel): 2 years 8 Months and 74493 Kms, again no quality issues or reliability issues. Only the rear axle was changed at around 60K Kms under warranty for a tyre wear issue. You know what? This tyre wear issue was minor with the tyre life going till 48K Kms. But still MASS went ahead and replaced the axle. Not sure if this will happen with any other Manufacturer.

And the last pic before the accident, @3M HSR

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-ot02.jpg
Maruti:

Some random pics during my Kanyakumari trip,

Some random pics during my Hyderabad trip, thanks to my friend Goutam for these pics,

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-bot5optimized.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-hyd2.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-hyd3.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-hyd5.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-hyd4.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-hyd1.jpg

Finally, I would like to thank team bhpians KarthikK, nkrishnap, speedsatya, and the multiple Linea/Punto threads which helped to decide on Fiat Linea, especially when I was NOT a Fiat fan.

Here is what my wife has to say about Linea:

Excellent car. Back seat comfort is very good. Sometimes, the cooling effect of the A/C isn’t consistent, even with the blower on for the back seat. The front-seat passengers will be freezing while those in the back are sweating. Great boot space when traveling long distance with 2 kids in tow. You know how it is to travel with kids. One has to pack a village for a 2-day trip. No bottle holder on the doors. Leg space is crammed if the front-seat passengers decide to push back their seats. That being said, it’s a stable car to be in, while on the highways.

And now the land mark, 13000 KMs in 132 days(4months and 13 days)

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-b.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-20140613_224514optimized.jpg

Dash Camera: Mini DVR 0801

Purchased from: http://www.aliexpress.com
Link to the Product: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mini-...858074589.html

Review of this Dash Camera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdPHXv8Hzj8&app=desktop
Price: It was around 100$
Storage: Bought a 32GB Samsung card

Likes:Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-iot7optimized.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-iot8optimized.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-dashcamoptimized.jpg

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-iot9optimized.jpg

View from the driver seat,

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold-iot10optimized.jpg

Here are couple of videos,

The files are stored in .mov format and hence when we convert to .mp4 and upload the same to youtube the clarity is lost big time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My_P7CVhleg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ6zH4cy_Q0

Here is a pic from the above video captured before converting the file,

Thread moved to Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports section. Thanks for sharing.

Let me be the first to CONGRATULATE you for buying this absolutely good looking car. clap:

Undoubtedly nothing comes close to the design and build quality but I am shocked with the niggles you faced along with the parts changed within such short time. On the matter of fact, most of the parts should last the life of the car (except battery).

Quote:

Originally Posted by arun_josie (Post 3454860)
Battery was changed on the delivery day.

What was the reason for the failure and what brand is it?

Quote:

Front (right/left) shock absorbers replaced, it was giving some sound while going on rough patches.

Manufacturing defect, Eh?! What was the diagnosis from Fiat for this?

Quote:

Front Wind Screen replaced due uneven finish on the borders with the sealant coming out.

:Frustrati

Clearly manufacturing negligence from Fiat. What the QA team doing when this car was rolling out of the line?!

Quote:

Hand Brake was not working intermittently and hence replaced.

Was it the handbrake cable fault?

Quote:

Rear right side door lock/latch was not locking/unlocking intermittently and hence replaced.

This issue too seems vague and was the latch part only replaced or the door locking mechanism changed?

I wish you long long happy miles with this car.

Anurag.

Congratulations man! You've chosen well, specially given all your highway driving en famille, it just has the best-in-class harmonics of ride-handling-steering-braking-safety-comfort! All the best.

I too have a white Linea, a 2010 1.4 petrol, have been lucky I guess: no niggles, rattles or squeaks. One or two fit and finish non-issues inside. Fiat did do a recall-type action to replace the clutch cylinder. And that's all.

Engines, transmission, electricals, electronics, suspension, plastics, paint and body work are of fantastic quality and reliability. But there are potentially , as in your case, irritants like the door locking mechanism etc.

The car needs a bit of care and attention IF one is fastidious, otherwise it will, like all Fiats, last forever. Am glad to hear of the Vecto Motors FASS being good and diligent.

cheers, and may you, your family and your Linea be safe on those highways you frequent!