Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2014, 08:56   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: From 'G'e'T'z to VW Polo GT TDI - 13 months & 19000 KM update!

Oh no, another contributor to Global Warming. Why do you people buy all these hot cars?

Congratlulations Vik0728. One wonderful machine the Polo is.
Wish you many happy miles with it.

Without any doubt, the hottest Getz in town was yours. I'm now eagerly looking forward to the Hottest Polo in town. This time, you have some tough competition out there
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 09:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Heartiest congratulations and indeed, welcome to the club!

Best wishes (after all it's a VAG car; we are going to need it!) and drive safe!
Thank you Gannu and as I have been mentioning everytime I post a comment, your suggestion & feedback went a long long way in me deciding this beauty.

I don't know if its the Getz that has done wonders to me, but I have kind of got used to the rear visibility. Getz did not have a wide ORVM but had an amazing rear visibility through the inside RVM. So, I have adopted a combination of using both the Inside & Outside RVMs on Polo, which is working quite well.

But yes, I have plans of swapping the L shaped headrests for the rear 'If & When' VW launch it. Arm rest will be coming in at the earliest Gannu, that is a promise, more so since I have got used to the OEM armrest that was there on Getz !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post

Dear Vik, The car looks great and the choice of color looks really sporty. As you have begun to change a few things in the car I would like to know your future plan of action on modification of this car. May it always remain as brilliant as it looks today. Drive Safe and congrats on the new purchase.

Thanks.
Thank you ad3952n and yes the colour has grown on me considerably, but White & Black still are my favourites !!

I am not a big fan of Bling and prefer subtle mods. As of now, I have planned Arm Rest as the first change. I also plan to get my Alloys painted since I love the OEM design and have got 205 section tyres as well.

Whatever it is, I will ensure I keep this thread updated bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
Congrats on your new acquisition! She looks gorgeous

I always thought they are in the league of Nankangs,Hankooks etc etc. How is the braking? Do let us know (since the brakes need to do a great amount of work to bring this steed to a halt :P).

Wish you many miles of happy motoring
Thank you 97_Octane.

You are spot on bro. Kenda does not compare to or compete with high end tyres of Yokos & Michelins, but it apparently was designed to take on DB series. It even has a very similar tread pattern but looks much wider, which the tyre retailer demonstrated to me with a side by side comparison. It actually is in the lague of Nankangs & Federals.
I did not want a soft compound tyre but an intermediate one and also these are one of the most silent rubbers available. I have had 2 reliable sources within my circle who had used these for over 45k kms and have not had any issues.
In fact, akshay4587 himself has used this and has not had any bad experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Welcome to the Club, and congratulations on getting the hottest hatch in the diesel segment.
Do not go by the negative stories of VW service,there are dealers in Bangalore who can be rated more than satisfactory.
Best Wishes and Drive Safe!
Thank you volkman10 and couldn't agree more with you. I was one of the silent readers & followers of your thread bro and know what exactly you mean.

To be very honest bro, VW have really improved drastically with respect to their customer focus. I raised a small concern when I got a feedback call just after 2 days of the delivery, that the SA did not explain all the button functionalities. I was contacted by the CRM (Customer Relations Manager ?) in 20 minutes and was requested to schedule an appointment for the SA to come over to my house or office and address my queries.
Just this gesture is enough for me and I would not be unhappy now even if the SA does not keep up his word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

Oh no, another contributor to Global Warming. Why do you people buy all these hot cars?

Without any doubt, the hottest Getz in town was yours. I'm now eagerly looking forward to the Hottest Polo in town. This time, you have some tough competition out there
Ah common Hemanth we all know who is one of the major contributors to Bangalore warming if not global warming bro. With steads like your Abarth & Karthik's Esseesse running wild on Bangalore roads, seldom does the heat subside even on a cloudy day.

Thank you bro and it means something to come from the one who has a sublime Punto. I love subtle modifications and will only do things that I feel good about. Though there are some brilliant Polos modified by some folks here, I wouldn't shy away from learning from them if I like something.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 25th June 2014 at 09:28.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 10:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Thank you ad3952n and yes the colour has grown on me considerably, but White & Black still are my favourites !!

I am not a big fan of Bling and prefer subtle mods. As of now, I have planned Arm Rest as the first change. I also plan to get my Alloys painted since I love the OEM design and have got 205 section tyres as well.

Whatever it is, I will ensure I keep this thread updated bro.
Great! I am hereby just giving you a suggestion for doing your car in a subtle way. Here is a Red Polo which I am cross-posting from my own post in tasteful mods threads. Hope it helps. Black alloys look super-cool on the Polo.

From 'G'e'T'z to VW Polo GT TDI! 3.5 years, 50,000 km up + Yokohama S drive tires! EDIT: Sold!-10403470_618942264886631_6233165624558815425_n.jpg

Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...india-181.html

Thanks
ad3952n is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 12:12   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Family and well wishers had advised me not to buy a car that was getting phased out
So you are maintaining that record of yours!

Quote:
One of the reason for me to buy the Polo over Punto were the ergonomics. I had accidentally rolled down the rear windows many times in Punto since I could not reach the front power window buttons easily.
This is one of the "getting used to" things. Now when I sit in other cars, I roll down the front windows when I actually want to roll down the rear windows
As far as the rear is concerned, I feel Punto's position is better. In other cars its a pain to get the elbows behind the body to roll down the windows especially with 3 people seated

Quote:
The OEM speakers that came along on both Punto & Verna were far better than the ones on the Polo.
Are you serious! Punto speakers are nothing more than crap!

Quote:
Ah common Hemanth we all know who is one of the major contributors to Bangalore warming if not global warming bro. With steads like your Abarth...running wild on Bangalore roads, seldom does the heat subside even on a cloudy day.
As you rightly said in the beginning, My car is "all show and no go" (have removed KarthikK's name from the quote). So I'm not a major contributor

Quote:
Thank you bro and it means something to come from the one who has a sublime Punto. I love subtle modifications and will only do things that I feel good about. Though there are some brilliant Polos modified by some folks here, I wouldn't shy away from learning from them if I like something.
Subtle modifications are the ones that actually stand out.
Otherwise you end up in the weird and wacky modifications thread instead of the Tastefully modified cars thread
Old 25th June 2014, 12:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post

Black alloys look super-cool on the Polo.

Thanks
Absolutely ad3952n and believe me I really had that on mind.

I was like when I saw your post of that Polo on the other thread. It was almost like my idea had materialized.

Quote:

So you are maintaining that record of yours!
If we get 'Special Hatches' like the GT TDI, I will probably never break that record all my life Hemanth !!

Quote:

Are you serious! Punto speakers are nothing more than crap!

Subtle modifications are the ones that actually stand out.
Otherwise you end up in the weird and wacky modifications thread instead of the Tastefully modified cars thread
Honestly Hemanth Polo OEM speakers are not bad. But I somehow felt that the TD Punto that I drove & my cousin's Punto who still has stock HU sounded a lot better. I could be wrong since I could not listen to music on either for a very long time, unlike I have been on my Polo.

Subtle or Substantial, I really respect the ones who modify their cars because they 'Want' to and not just so that they 'Can'. And with people like you around, I am sure the Weird and wacky modifications thread will be running dry for a long time.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 16:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Vik on the red hot VAG, Prashant will be a good person to provide all the mods you want on your Polo

Get a under body coating done with the impending monsoons. How are the Komets as of now? You said they are on par with AVS DB, does that mean they are as quite as them? Can you share the cost details on how much you got for the OEM tires and where?
Old 25th June 2014, 16:10   #22
BHPian

Hey Vik,

Congratulations on bringing your polo home. Looks awesome and the Red is looking good too.

Happy mile crunching.

Cheers,
Vinay
yaniv14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 19:23   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Although 195/60 R15 seems to be the correct upgrade, there are several members who are using 205s on their Ventos.
Actually, 205/55 R15 is closer to stock compared to 195/60 R15. Only problem is that there's not many tires available in that size in the market. I had a choice between Yokohama S-Drives and Continental CPC2 only. Went for the S-Drives in the end.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-...0R15/205-55R15
Hells_Fury is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 19:42   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Yes !! Yes !! Yes !! GT Bug gets me and how.

Final Price - 934547/- INR
[b]
Yes indeed and you deserve a lot many claps for choosing the right car when it comes to performance and practicality! Welcome to the club

Quote:
As member brraj mentioned, do check the oil levels periodically. VAG diesel engines are renown for drinking oil during their run-in period.
Although 195/60 R15 seems to be the correct upgrade, there are several members who are using 205s on their Ventos.
Completely agree with Gannu here. Its a fantastic car and like many other fancy cars that we have in this world one need to take good care of it. Engine oil is something that need regular inspection at least till you complete your first service.
I had to top it up after completing 8500 kms ( Now its already 19000 Kms )

Gannu, I think the best fit is 205/55 in terms of diameter variance. Many chose 195/60 as that is the next closest and not many options in 205/55.
rejoycjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 13:36   #25
BHPian

You cannot go wrong with a Polo in RED and to boot you got a GT ! Congratulations on your new set of wheels and wishing you thousands of happy and safe miles on this car !

Cheers
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 17:02   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
Engine oil is something that need regular inspection at least till you complete your first service.
I had to top it up after completing 8500 kms ( Now its already 19000 Kms )
Does the oil level need to be checked with a cold engine or a warmed up engine? Do you top up the oil yourself or take the car to the service station. If you did it yourself, which brand of oil did you use? Sorry for the multiple questions
Hells_Fury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 17:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post

Congrats Vik on the red hot VAG, Prashant will be a good person to provide all the mods you want on your Polo

Get a under body coating done with the impending monsoons. How are the Komets as of now? You said they are on par with AVS DB, does that mean they are as quite as them? Can you share the cost details on how much you got for the OEM tires and where?
Thank you motomaverick and yes I have been constantly in touch with Prashanth right from the day I decided to buy the GT.
A lot of his advise, suggestions and tips helped me overcome the VW apprehensions that I had.

Honestly, I have never had a first hand experience with the AVS DB but the current tyres on my Polo are some of the quietest I have driven on. I have till date driven 600kms and will be completing the 1k Milestone this weekend. The feedback so far:

- Excellent grip during high speed braking or slowdown. Not sure if it was the tyres or the Polo itself, but the car maintained straight line stability on couple of emergency braking situations.
- Steering feedback seems a bit better as the movement seems to have stiffened a tiny bit since the time I had driven about 100kms on the OEM tyres.
- Very silent rubber and I have to struggle a bit to listen to any sound from the tyres. Not sure if this is due to the engine growl though.

I bought these from A1 car tyres, near Lalbagh (Bangalore). Aleem (Co-owner) is also a good friend and he gave me 3k for the OEM tyres a piece. The Komet costed 5.4k a piece, which I only bough four.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post

Yes indeed and you deserve a lot many claps for choosing the right car when it comes to performance and practicality! Welcome to the club
Thank you rejoycjohn and I truly am extremely excited and a lot more privileged to be a part of it !!

I will be keeping a close watch on the Oil level and have also informed by designated SA on this exception should it crop up.
SA was quite confident that this is not the case with the 2014 Polos & Ventos. But I would be putting my $ on TBHP Knowledge rather than a trained 'Sales Person' !!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 26th June 2014 at 17:36.
Old 26th June 2014, 17:34   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
Does the oil level need to be checked with a cold engine or a warmed up engine? Do you top up the oil yourself or take the car to the service station. If you did it yourself, which brand of oil did you use? Sorry for the multiple questions
Cold engine. Because once the engine is warmed up the level increases.
Topping up can be done by yourself. Just need to open the Oil cap on top of the engine and fill about half a liter and check the level again. The minimum quantity that you can buy from the service center is that of 1 L.
I went to the service center to buy the engine oil and they filled it for me.I think Gannu did buy the engine oil by himself I guess?
No problem at all, lets help each other as much as we can.
rejoycjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 18:25   #29
BHPian

Congratulations on buying my favorite hatchback :-). The amount of mods you can possibly do is truly immense. Be sure to check out the VCDS. There's a related thread in the 'Hot threads' section.

OT: I noticed that your signature says Getz GLS but from the one of the pictures, I can recognise a Getz Prime tail lamp. Did you change it? I have a Getz GLS too :-)
Old 26th June 2014, 19:11   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
Does the oil level need to be checked with a cold engine or a warmed up engine?..
The best way to do this is

1. Park your car on a proper horizontal plane overinight
2. Check the dip stick the next day (morning) before you crank the car.
3. Wipe the dip stick clean.
4. Dip it again and pull it out to check the level.

Step # 4 is supposed to give you the most accurate reading.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks