Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2014, 09:53   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: From 'G'e'T'z to VW Polo GT TDI - 13 months & 19000 KM update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post

I guess you will slowly but surely go with the mods (cosmetic first followed by performance down the line)
Thank you Abhinav.

The Best part about the GT TDI is that unlike my earlier Korean drives, the dynamics & safety bits are in place. So I can truly concentrate of Stage 1 performance mods.

Also unlike my Korean cars, owning VW is not total fuss free. Not especially with a 3 yrs Warranty running on my GT.

So, though the performance mods will happen, it will have to wait for now. Even the Cosmetic upgrades will be very carefully planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydriver84 View Post

Hey vik,

Congrats on the buy.

Had a small query though, during your long drive with your parents, were they comfortable in the rear seats? And how much luggage were you able to carry in the boot?
Thank you krazydriver84.

This long drive with my parents was without my better half and so we were only 3 of us in the car. At the time of departure, my Dad sat in the front passenger seat and my Mom at the rear. Mom could not stop praising how comfortable she was compared to my bro's I-gen I20 drive that she had been through a week earlier.

On the return leg, my parents swapped their places. My Dad had the exact same thing to say about the drive and he in fact dozed away into a deep slumber with the AC running all along.

Boot space is actually one thing that I am really confused about myself. Some say it is 280 lts while others report it is 294 lts. I don't have the subwoofer that I had in my Getz at the moment, so the space looks quite big.
Since our journey was not an overnight stay, we did not have lot of luggage to carry. But without a sub in the boot, POLO can quite easily accomodate 2 big suitcases with couple of bagpacks at the back.

Ironically, the Glove box of the Polo is so huge that I sometimes wonder if VW have swapped the Cabin space with this !!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 11th July 2014 at 09:57.
Old 11th July 2014, 10:14   #47
BHPian

Thanks vik.

That was helpful. I am myself getting a GT TDI. by next week.
I was just confused about the boot space, since that was the only thing which was swaying my decision between the GT TDI and the Rapid TDI.
Old 11th July 2014, 10:16   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
I don't have the subwoofer that I had in my Getz at the moment, so the space looks quite big.
Is this because of the warranty worries or did you not find time to get the wiring done to move it? Asking because the sub installation may not need any splicing of wires.
Old 14th July 2014, 16:09   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydriver84 View Post

Thanks vik.

That was helpful. I am myself getting a GT TDI. by next week.
I was just confused about the boot space, since that was the only thing which was swaying my decision between the GT TDI and the Rapid TDI.
Welcome to the VW GT Club krazydriver84.

Confused between GT TDI & Rapid's Boot space ??
Polo has a good amount of boot space only if you consider the segment it competes within bro.

Polo Boot will feel like a Glove box if you go a segment above.

Quote:

Is this because of the warranty worries or did you not find time to get the wiring done to move it? Asking because the sub installation may not need any splicing of wires.
A bit of both abhinav. I was informed by one of the ICE installers that:

1. Installing a Sub for the RCD 310 on Polo will nullify the front 2 speakers and only the rear with the sub will be active.

2. Wires must be spliced for the Sub & 2 CH Amp to be installed on Polo.

These 2 have actually convinced me to stay away from any ICE upgrade on my GT for now, considering I have 3yrs warranty

Can you please confirm if this can be achieved without cutting/splicing wires on Polo, considering the RCD 310 Head Unit.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 14th July 2014 at 16:10.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 11:41   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. Wires must be spliced for the Sub & 2 CH Amp to be installed on Polo...
Well, this is interesting. Not specific to polo but the Indica, Spark, & Alto K10 that i presently own all have had the sub and amp moved from one to the other without any splicing of the wires. Spark also had a 3 year service holiday which meant all consumables and labor was covered by company. Yet they did not create a fuss since no wires were spliced. If it is a requirement that wires have to be spliced for the HU of Polo to accommodate the amp and sub its a pretty clever design to void warranty at the drop of a hat by the company.

Did you speak to other installers too? Then the only other option is to upgrade the HU first before you think of the amp and sub in the car.
Old 16th July 2014, 13:23   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Installing a Sub for the RCD 310 on Polo will nullify the front 2 speakers and only the rear with the sub will be active.

2. Wires must be spliced for the Sub & 2 CH Amp to be installed on Polo.

These 2 have actually convinced me to stay away from any ICE upgrade on my GT for now, considering I have 3yrs warranty

Can you please confirm if this can be achieved without cutting/splicing wires on Polo, considering the RCD 310 Head Unit.
You can probably use wire couplers shown in the picture below, this way you dont have to cut or splice any wires.

From 'G'e'T'z to VW Polo GT TDI! 3.5 years, 50,000 km up + Yokohama S drive tires! EDIT: Sold!-905runtapconnectorceapproved.jpg
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 14:07   #52
BHPian

Sorry for joining the party late. Congrats on making a "wise" decision by going for the GT TDI and welcome to the club. I hope you are enjoying the premium feel of the GT along with the exclusivity.

I did get my speakers changed with a Infinity Kappa Component for the front and the Infinity Kappa co-axials for the rear along with the Infinity Kappa Amplifier. I believe there was a single splicing done but I couldn't wait for the 3 year warranty to get over. The upgrade is definitely worth it.

Hope we can meet sometime and have a detailed chat
Old 16th July 2014, 14:48   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Did you speak to other installers too? Then the only other option is to upgrade the HU first before you think of the amp and sub in the car.
I totally agree with you abhinav on the ease of such installations on Hyundais, Marutis, etc but VW is a total uncharted territory for me.

It is not that it cannot be done, it is probably got a lot to do with me who is still a bit sceptical to attempt this. The OEM speakers are quite good but surely not a substitute for the Amp & Sub I had in Getz.

I do want to upgrade the HU to a Touch Screen kind, but it is not an immediate concern/requirement for me.

I will surely give this a serious thought bro and come up with a fix soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post

You can probably use wire couplers shown in the picture below, this way you dont have to cut or splice any wires.
Thank you motomaverick, will keep this in mind when I do take the plunge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanasu View Post

Sorry for joining the party late. Congrats on making a "wise" decision by going for the GT TDI and welcome to the club. I hope you are enjoying the premium feel of the GT along with the exclusivity.

Hope we can meet sometime and have a detailed chat
Not a problem at all Kanasu and thank you.

I agree with every word you have posted, especially 'Exclusivity'!!

I am just loving every drive and the surge is so addictive, My grin has gotten silly by the drive which I somehow cannot hold back everytime I put my right foot down. I will surely take your suggestion on the Infinity speakers and try it out sometime. Actually, when we meet up I will have a chance to listen to the audio output.

But I see a small problem in us meeting up:

Two - Flash Red - GTs - with 205 section tires - TBHP stickers - In One Place...

'Exclusivity' will be History!!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 16th July 2014 at 14:52.
Old 16th July 2014, 15:03   #54
Senior - BHPian

Vikram, congratulations on your new acquisition. I somehow missed your ownership report. Loved the pics. I love VW's red color, looks great. Polo GT TDI is a very reasonable upgrade from Getz. I always used to admire your Getz and the way you maintain it. Wish you many more happy and safe miles with it. Will be eager to check your car in flesh in any of the future TBHP meets.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 16th July 2014 at 15:05.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 15:21   #55
BHPian

Mine is a White one Vikram. My first choice was to go for the Black Beast, but my parents gave me a strict warning to avoid Black and even the Red . Wish VW had given more choice of colors for the GT.

Also, any reason you went for Kendo and not the usual Yoko for the rubbers. Will be upgrading mine shortly.
Old 17th July 2014, 09:35   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post

Vikram, congratulations on your new acquisition. I somehow missed your ownership report. Loved the pics. I love VW's red color, looks great. Polo GT TDI is a very reasonable upgrade from Getz. I always used to admire your Getz and the way you maintain it. Wish you many more happy and safe miles with it. Will be eager to check your car in flesh in any of the future TBHP meets.
Thank you Vinay.

Yes the 'Flash Red' of the GT has grown on me. White is still my favourite Shade, but I somehow feel that a GT in Red shade adds quite a bit to the exclusivity factor.

You can not only check my car but take it for a spin as well bro the next time we meet. And, we probably don't have to wait for a Team BHP meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanasu View Post

Mine is a White one Vikram. My first choice was to go for the Black Beast, but my parents gave me a strict warning to avoid Black and even the Red . Wish VW had given more choice of colors for the GT.

Also, any reason you went for Kendo and not the usual Yoko for the rubbers. Will be upgrading mine shortly.
Ah Kanasu sorry about that !!

I think I confused your stead with another Bhpian's Red GT. White was my first choice, which later had changed to Black.

But I guess, RED Was the Destiny!!

I went in for Kenda predominently for these reasons:

- 205/55 R15 size was not readily available in many other makes.

- Kenda are not some cheap, 'stop-gap' kind of tires. They are just economical but above average. I have been informed that they compete directly with Yokohama AVS DB series.

- Kenda tires are one of the most silent tires around and road noise is very low.

- The best part is that these tires appear to have a wider foot-print than what the specs suggest. The braking, steering feel, grip has increased a lot and I just love the drive now.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 09:50   #57
Senior - BHPian

From 'G'e'T'z to VW Polo GT TDI! 3.5 years, 50,000 km up + Yokohama S drive tires! EDIT: Sold!-dsc_1796.jpg

**UPDATE** - 30 days & 2000 Km of Bliss !!

As the update reads, it has been a blissful 1 month of GT Ownership and I have loved every single 'Meter' of 2000 Kms that I have driven.

Only gripe that me & my wife have is the thought as to why we delayed in buying this brilliant piece of engineering. It is not that I am driving this car more thank what is usually required, it is just that I am enjoying every opportunity to get behind the wheels of the GT.

Went on the 500 kms drive last weekend and I thoroughly enjoyed driving in the rain after a very long time.

Here are the pics of the Milestone & the astounding mileage I get at the end of some spirited driving (about 25-30kms) hitting speed in excess of some of the other cars are capable of on the road. Calculated the mileage once on a tankful method and it totalled to 19.8 Km/l, could I ask for more ?

From 'G'e'T'z to VW Polo GT TDI! 3.5 years, 50,000 km up + Yokohama S drive tires! EDIT: Sold!-dsc_2090.jpg

From 'G'e'T'z to VW Polo GT TDI! 3.5 years, 50,000 km up + Yokohama S drive tires! EDIT: Sold!-dsc_2092.jpg

From 'G'e'T'z to VW Polo GT TDI! 3.5 years, 50,000 km up + Yokohama S drive tires! EDIT: Sold!-dsc_2094.jpg

From 'G'e'T'z to VW Polo GT TDI! 3.5 years, 50,000 km up + Yokohama S drive tires! EDIT: Sold!-dsc_2114.jpg

From 'G'e'T'z to VW Polo GT TDI! 3.5 years, 50,000 km up + Yokohama S drive tires! EDIT: Sold!-dsc_2115.jpg

Some other pics that were shot during & on the return leg. I could not get a lot of shots since I was way to reluctant to even stop the drive, let alone get off !!

From 'G'e'T'z to VW Polo GT TDI! 3.5 years, 50,000 km up + Yokohama S drive tires! EDIT: Sold!-dsc_2097.jpg

From 'G'e'T'z to VW Polo GT TDI! 3.5 years, 50,000 km up + Yokohama S drive tires! EDIT: Sold!-dsc_2100.jpg

From 'G'e'T'z to VW Polo GT TDI! 3.5 years, 50,000 km up + Yokohama S drive tires! EDIT: Sold!-dsc_2101.jpg

From 'G'e'T'z to VW Polo GT TDI! 3.5 years, 50,000 km up + Yokohama S drive tires! EDIT: Sold!-dsc_2102.jpg

From 'G'e'T'z to VW Polo GT TDI! 3.5 years, 50,000 km up + Yokohama S drive tires! EDIT: Sold!-dsc_2106.jpg

The Good

-
Power, Power, Power...all this with Blissful Poise.
- Mile munching capability of this hatch is something else.
- The Kenda tires seem to have got grippy by the kilometer. The braking has really improved a lot that what it was when I first bought it.
- The suspensions are so well tuned and there is so much less of the 'Body Roll' that most of my co passengers just fall asleep quite easily and go into a deep slumber.
- If driven very spiritidly, the mileage (MID) drops to an all time low of 14.5 Km/l, which I honestly think is quite astouding considering the speeds at which I travelled.
- Ground Clearance is just so perfect. I had a couple of instances where I was expecting the GT to bottom out but did not. Ironically, a Rapid right ahead with 2 on board, scraped the bottom quite badly.

The Bad

-
Though the seating position is supremely comfy, the seats themselves are quite a bit hard. They really hug you & keep you in place, but the fabric/material is a bit too hard for my liking.
- I have been informed by the other Polo/Vento owners that the Clutch kickback is quite severe & hard. I have to put in a lot of effort to prevent the jerks everytime I release the clutch.

I am not being biased since I own a GT but quite frankly I think this was the way the Polo should have come in the first place. I just wish every bhpian gets to drive a GT sometime to just sense the feel of a true hot hatch and the way it is supposed to drive.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 22nd July 2014 at 10:09.
Vik0728 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 17:03   #58
BHPian

Quote:
But I see a small problem in us meeting up:

Two - Flash Red - GTs - with 205 section tires - TBHP stickers - In One Place...

'Exclusivity' will be History!!
Make that 3 actually

Edit: Just saw Kanasu's post so the number is back down to 2.

Last edited by Hells_Fury : 23rd July 2014 at 17:04.
Old 23rd July 2014, 18:09   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1264619

**UPDATE** - 30 days & 2000 Km of Bliss !!
Man you sure are raking up the miles with that beast. You really need a diesel with that kind of driving schedule. Mine is now 6 months old and still haven't crossed 3000km mark. Damn.
Old 23rd July 2014, 18:34   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post

Edit: Just saw Kanasu's post so the number is back down to 2.
I totally understand Hells_Fury, just like the way I got lost !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post

Mine is now 6 months old and still haven't crossed 3000km mark. Damn.
You're kidding right Nakul ?

You either not having 'All the Fun' or most defenitely 'All the Time' !! It might sound really silly, but these are the stats:

- Bought my bike FZ 16 (July '13) for city commute and at the time of GT purchase, it had covered 8234 km. As on date, it has covered, 8296 km !! Do is say more folks.

I am not using GT because its deisel. It really is very addictive to drive and just love every single moment behind the wheels.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks