Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2014, 19:04   #61
BHPian

re: From 'G'e'T'z to VW Polo GT TDI - 13 months & 19000 KM update!

Hi Vic, I got my GT in Black around the same time you bought yours. Its been 35 days and I just crossed 2000 mark on the return leg from Mysore to Chennai.
Just to go on a long drive I invited myself to my parents and in-laws place. The Car is addictive. Its like it transforms into a different persona when the accelerator is pushed and GT becomes a Gama exposed green thing. Love it and I’m sooo living it.

I got the rubber swapped to the 195 patch of Michelin Primacy 3ST. The ride is comfortable but is no fun on the corners. While cornering at speeds above 100 the understeer becomes very prominent. That’s the only grouse I have. Not sure if I did my research well before settling for these. May be 205 patch should fix this ?

The other observation on my GT is the car becomes a little rough as the RPM climbs beyond 3K. Did you feel the same ? I felt may be the engine needs to settle down and then it would be fine as there was marked difference in the engine behavior and response on the return journey as compared to the on-ward Journey from Chennai. Diesel to blame ? I don’t know.

Drive safe and will do my best to exchange notes on the GT.
Old 23rd July 2014, 20:13   #62
Nan

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post

I got the rubber swapped to the 195 patch of Michelin Primacy 3ST. The ride is comfortable but is no fun on the corners. While cornering at speeds above 100 the understeer becomes very prominent. That’s the only grouse I have. Not sure if I did my research well before settling for these. May be 205 patch should fix this ?

The other observation on my GT is the car becomes a little rough as the RPM climbs beyond 3K. Did you feel the same ? I felt may be the engine needs to settle down and then it would be fine as there was marked difference in the engine behavior and response on the return journey as compared to the on-ward Journey from Chennai. Diesel to blame ? I don’t know.

I have done just 500 Kms in close to two weeks on my GT. Interestingly even I have similar observations as yours.

I changed the tyres to Michelin P3ST (195/60/15) and find the ride to be a bit on the bouncier side as compared to the stock tyres. This may be attributed to the increased side wall height and the softer compound of P3ST.

Even I feel the engine to be a little rough post 3K RPM. Hoping that this will settle with a bit of running.
Old 24th July 2014, 09:27   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hi Vic, I got my GT in Black around the same time you bought yours. Its been 35 days and I just crossed 2000 mark on the return leg from Mysore to Chennai.

I got the rubber swapped to the 195 patch of Michelin Primacy 3ST. The ride is comfortable but is no fun on the corners. While cornering at speeds above 100 the understeer becomes very prominent. That’s the only grouse I have.

The other observation on my GT is the car becomes a little rough as the RPM climbs beyond 3K. Did you feel the same ?

First off no_boundaries, Congrats on your pick & Welcome on board the GT Club !!

A GT Ownership without an actual thread on TBHP is not happening bro. So, please get this up at the earliest.

I am not quite sure if Michelin has anything to do with the under steer, but I do remember lot of experts mentioning that GT feels a bit nose heavy and under steers at the far end of the turning spectrum. Also, with my car running on 205 section tires and 31 psi (Front) & 32 psi (Rear) nitrogen, I find it quite well balanced. Have taken turns at triple digit speeds and the car felt quite composed. But ofcourse, the turns were not hairpin corner sorts.

Quote:
The other observation on my GT is the car becomes a little rough as the RPM climbs beyond 3K. Did you feel the same ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post

I have done just 500 Kms in close to two weeks on my GT. Interestingly even I have similar observations as yours.

Even I feel the engine to be a little rough post 3K RPM. Hoping that this will settle with a bit of running.
Same applies to you Nan, GT ownership & no thread on TBHP, get it up bro.

Regarding the engine note post 3K RPM, I honestly did not particulary notice any harsh behaviour. But I have to admit that it is way to coarse & throatier than my cousin's I20 CRDI at the same RPM.

One more thing to note here is that at 3k RPM or more, GT is in its full turbo kick and the car is really covering ground. So, please snsure that the road ahead is either empty or good enough to spot any unseen hurdles/obstructions. We all know, GT can get to real good speeds in a jiffy, but it is not the same when getting it to stop at the same timeline.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 24th July 2014 at 09:30.
Old 24th July 2014, 16:04   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Just to go on a long drive I invited myself to my parents and in-laws place. The Car is addictive. Its like it transforms into a different persona when the accelerator is pushed and GT becomes a Gama exposed green thing. Love it and I’m sooo living it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post

I changed the tyres to Michelin P3ST (195/60/15) and find the ride to be a bit on the bouncier side as compared to the stock tyres. This may be attributed to the increased side wall height and the softer compound of P3ST.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3472515

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3472671

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3475124

here you go guys... i've been from 185 60 15 ---> 195 60 15 ---> 205 55 15 in a span of 2 weeks.

They are all good choices for different reasons. See which fulfills your needs best.
rana_kirti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 17:17   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have similar views regarding Michelin tyres when it comes to cornering, have not had a chance to drive a car shod with 3ST but i own a Vento fitted with Bridgestone Potenzas and a friend has Rapid with Michelin XM1, both running 195/60/15's, though the Michelins are way superior in ride comfort and noise but the body roll during cornering is insane , the sidewalls are too soft and they flex a lot, making tyres squeal. In comparison, my Vento on Bridgestone feels as if it is on rails and not a squeal even under hard cornering. The cornering fun lost due to the comfort oriented nature of these tyres is quite a lot.

If you love cornering hard like i do, a better option would have been to go for
205/55 S drives or a harder compound tyre in 195/60.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 14:16   #66
Senior - BHPian

As there was long weekend coming up, considering I have availed a leave on Monday, I did not have much work piled on my table.

Gannu had asked me if I could get a video of the GT TDI OEM cluster since he did not have one and his GT was running on the GTi Cluster.

So took my stead onto some open roads and tested these:

GT TDI 0-100 km/hr Acceleration:

GT TDI 20-80 km/hr Roll on:

Please excuse the video quality since it was taken from my phone which is over 4yrs old and has lost the 'H' from its HD recording capability !!

P.S -
These are very vague and totally inconclusive clips. Whole point of the video was to get the OEM cluster video.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 25th July 2014 at 14:24.
Old 5th August 2014, 09:01   #67
Senior - BHPian

SOME BAD UPDATE:

Some downgrade scum of the society did this to my car last weekend.
From 'G'e'T'z to VW Polo GT TDI! 3.5 years, 50,000 km up + Yokohama S drive tires! EDIT: Sold!-dsc_1576.jpg

I am the kind of guy who tries cleaning some dirt/spec on stranger's car if I come across any and then there are such low lying morons who do this.

In any case, I could not sleep or eat my food the whole of Sunday.

Initially had thought of giving it a month's time to be rectified, but then again I would probably end up getting psyched over this.

So decided to call up Ananth (Sai Colorium) yesterday and dropped of my 'Just over a Month' old GT for the fix. Mr Thulsi (Manager) himself was saddened by the sight and assured to get the car back to its Red Glory in a day's time.

Will be taking the car tomorrow and update the results.
Old 5th August 2014, 09:21   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
As there was long weekend coming up, considering I have availed a leave on Monday, I did not have much work piled on my table.

Gannu had asked me if I could get a video of the GT TDI OEM cluster since he did not have one and his GT was running on the GTi Cluster.

So took my stead onto some open roads and tested these:

GT TDI 0-100 km/hr Acceleration:

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=-9lw...ature=Youtu.be

GT TDI 20-80 km/hr Roll on:

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=z6NA...ature=Youtu.be

Please excuse the video quality since it was taken from my phone which is over 4yrs old and has lost the 'H' from its HD recording capability !!

P.S -
These are very vague and totally inconclusive clips. Whole point of the video was to get the OEM cluster video.
Nice run, I think 0-100 in that run came up in around 12.5 seconds.
That's mighty impressive considering you didn't dump the clutch.
I have heard of 0-100 in 9.8 seconds in our GT TDI's with a really aggressive start and shifting. But these are probably done by loony motoring journalists with somebody else's car. Can't imagine the plight of the clutch when being treated like that.

Makes me wish I was a motoring journalist at a top magazine too.

Quote:
SOME BAD UPDATE:

Attachment 1270370

I am the kind of guy who tries cleaning some dirt/spec on stranger's car if I come across any and then there are such low lying morons who do this.

In any case, I could not sleep or eat my food the whole of Sunday.

Initially had thought of giving it a month's time to be rectified, but then again I would probably end up getting psyched over this.

So decided to call up Ananth (Sai Colorium) yesterday and dropped of my 'Just over a Month' old GT for the fix. Mr Thulsi (Manager) himself was saddened by the sight and assured to get the car back to its Red Glory in a day's time.

Will be taking the car tomorrow and update the results.
This is exactly why when I go to city for chores and stuff and need to park somewhere I take the small Brio, hoping people would show mercy on the small Honda. But even that doesn't work. Recently some jackass stuck a chewed up bubblegum stick on my doorhandles while I was away buying some stuff. Scum bags, I hope they never get to own a car.
nakul0888 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 09:23   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Really Vik this type of vandalism is a pain to the eyes. We keep our cars in best of shape and looks so the on-lookers get jealous and to tease the owner they come up with such moronic acts.

I too have been a victim of this same situation when someone scratched both the right side doors of my City Ivtec. My driver made all types of stories but I eventually got to know when and how did this happen.

From 'G'e'T'z to VW Polo GT TDI! 3.5 years, 50,000 km up + Yokohama S drive tires! EDIT: Sold!-photo0511.jpg

From 'G'e'T'z to VW Polo GT TDI! 3.5 years, 50,000 km up + Yokohama S drive tires! EDIT: Sold!-photo0512.jpg

I am sure the GT will come back in perfect shape!

Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...dalism-51.html

Thanks.

Last edited by ad3952n : 5th August 2014 at 09:25. Reason: link
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 09:29   #70
BHPian

Sorry to see your car like that. When will this sadist mentality of people change! Kabhi nahi I guess. Sad.
Old 5th August 2014, 09:45   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post

Nice run, I think 0-100 in that run came up in around 12.5 seconds.
That's mighty impressive considering you didn't dump the clutch.

Makes me wish I was a motoring journalist at a top magazine too.
Honestly Nakul, I was just trying to see how good the in-gear acceleration of the GT TDI is. At one instance, I pulled over to set the Stop clock and ensure the road was clear of any vehicles.
It just so happened that a Km of road ahead and in my RVM cleared up and these were the fenced off on either sides.

In fact, I kinda let off on the 3rd gear and if you observe closely, I shift to the 5th Gear from 3rd, that took away couple of seconds I guess.

Quote:

Recently some jackass stuck a chewed up bubblegum stick on my doorhandles while I was away buying some stuff. Scum bags, I hope they never get to own a car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post

Really Vik this type of vandalism is a pain to the eyes. We keep our cars in best of shape and looks so the on-lookers get jealous and to tease the owner they come up with such moronic acts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post

Sorry to see your car like that. When will this sadist mentality of people change! Kabhi nahi I guess. Sad.
Really guys, it kind of reflects the sad state of our society where some people relish such saddism.

If I ever get my hands on these goons during any act, I will defenitely leave a bigger scar on them as a reminder for their artistic pranks !!
Old 5th August 2014, 20:38   #72
BHPian

Hi Vic, Sad to see the wound. Man, my heart sinks, what sort of a jerk would inflict such a thing on something so beautiful.

Any updates on the process. If its not a deep scratch I'm guessing a neat wax rub should fix it. My suggestion would be to not go for a panel painting as it MIGHT result in color difference.

Old 7th August 2014, 19:47   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hi Vic, Sad to see the wound. Man, my heart sinks, what sort of a jerk would inflict such a thing on something so beautiful.

Any updates on the process. If its not a deep scratch I'm guessing a neat wax rub should fix it. My suggestion would be to not go for a panel painting as it MIGHT result in color difference.

Hey no_boundaries sorry for a delayed response. I was only awaiting the return of my GT!!

My GT is back and Sai Colorium have done an exception job again. I have posted the same here.

The scratch was quite deep and the moron who did that really knew what he wanted. In any case, this made me take some precautions, starting with a body cover that I picked up. I know its not the best protection, but I feel to some extent, Out of sight is Out of mind.
Old 7th August 2014, 20:39   #74
BHPian

Quote:
My GT is back and Sai Colorium have done an exception job again.
Glad to know GT is back to the RED of its shine !! I feel there is a mild difference in the red on the fender and RH passenger door compared to the driver door. May be that's the photo angle. Can you confirm.

Parking the car has always been a peeve for me. Buying a Black car for me meant any parking space is not my parking space and I always hunt for safer ground to park the car(so far it has helped) !! Again, Stupid can strike anywhere so nothing is good enough.

May be installing a PPF from 3M(expensive option) on certain surface points of the car IMO may help.

Last edited by no_boundaries : 7th August 2014 at 20:46.
no_boundaries is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 10:20   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I feel there is a mild difference in the red on the fender and RH passenger door compared to the driver door. May be that's the photo angle. Can you confirm.

May be installing a PPF from 3M(expensive option) on certain surface points of the car IMO may help.
I felt the same no_boundaries while I was gazing on the folks at Sai Colorium polishing my GT. I was like

But as I read somewhere, the Red on Polo is called 'Funny Red'. It actually looks quite different on certain parts of the car from certain angles. It is quite difficult to explain this but if you look at one parked under a shade on a bright day, you will know what I mean.

A PPF will probably work wonders but there is little anybody can do if some idiot is hell bent upon scratching, denting or damaging a car on purpose.

Most Viewed