Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2014, 13:54   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu789 View Post
I appreciate the effort put in penning the details without any bias. I am going through the XUV ownership reviews to make sure I take a wise decision.
Thanks Prabhu. Glad that you liked the review.

Hope you find a vehicle that suits your criterion soon.
Old 8th March 2015, 12:02   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

15800 KM update

Odo reading 15800

Since last couple of months vehicle running has come down. It was mostly weekend drives inside the city barring a Pondicherry trip.

Also, last month got an SMS from M&M mentioning about ECU update related to curtain airbag. Wasn't able to take the car for the same till yesterday. Also, there is a M&M 75 point free checkup ongoing. Since the vehicle was not washed since a while thought of taking the check up along with update.

Got service appointment booked for 07 March morning and reached service center at 09.00 AM, thanks to the free checkup camp there was huge rush and by time ECU update (~15 min job) was done it was past 11.30 AM. General checkup and washing took another 4 hours

There was mention about an additional service item under this recall mentioned as 'Cavity treatment'. On checking with RM it was confirmed that the same was not applicable for my vehicle.

Apart from this and the ever present rattle from dash board vehicle is in superb shape.
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 23:16   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

1 year - 20000 KM update

1 year / 20000 KMs update

Its been a while since I updated the thread since running was bit low. Apart from some routine runs, there were only two trips in last 5 months.

First was to Karaikudi and next to BR Hills/ K Gudi.

There was no specific update about the vehicle in this period apart from the first puncture.

While I took the vehicle out during a weekend I noticed low tyre air pressure alert in infotainment system and also in instrument cluster.

Low tyre pressure alert on instrument cluster.

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-cam00268.jpg

I was not able to change the tyre myself since wheel nut was stuck. Got it changed from Madhus later. Puncture was caused due to a screw piercing the tyre.

3rd Service

Took the vehicle to Anant cars after booking the appointment. Thankfully the place was not crowded as usual. Apart from the usual service items, mentioned the following to be checked -
  • Downshifting from 2nd to 1st gear not smooth
  • Rattling sound from dashboard which I been having since purchase of the vehicle.
  • Random noise from rear door.

I insisted on not doing the AC Neutralizer treatment and also engine dressing.

Took a test drive with technician and explained him the issues. It was informed that since the rattling sound may require opening of dashboard it may not be possible to get the vehicle back on same day.

Next day by evening, RM called and informed that all work is done and offered to drop the vehicle at my office. Since I was busy with work, made an exception and agreed on getting the car dropped by the service centre driver.

Issue status -
  • Downshifting has become bit smoother. RM mentioned that they adjusted shifter cable.
  • Rattling has decreased, however not gone completely.
  • Door noise has disappeared.

Apart from this, had hit the engine guard while negotiating under construction road. RM informed there is no need to replace the same, they just changed the screws.

3rd service bill.

Total cost : Rs: 4994

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-img_20150708_222433013.jpg
Old 4th October 2015, 21:37   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

22300K update

Odo reading 22300 KM's

Running is low since past few months and due to which there was no much updates.

Couple of things which happened since last post -

Purchase of DVR / dash camera

Came across an offer shared by other TBHPians. Did an online purchase of Blaupunkt - BP2.0 FHD from Snapdeal. Packing and delivery was great and got the item in 3 days of placing the order.

Items in the pack

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-img_20150821_192112050_hdr.jpg

I am yet to route the power cable properly, I am planning of using a 2 side tape to fix the wire to avoid it from falling over front passenger foot well.

Did few drives with the camera and is satisfied with the video quality. However, as many mentioned, low light video quality is bit bad.

Night video

Day video

ESP, Hill hold, Hill descent error light

While on a ~300 KM's drive ESP, Hill hold and Hill descent lights come up in instrument cluster. I stop and restart the car hoping it may be cleared in true Mahindra fashion, however that was not to be.

Next, with help of torch light I check the sensor wiring to each wheel and brake fluid levels. Find all to be fine. It is around 03:00 AM and there is no way to get the same checked at any service centres. So, started the vehicle and tried the brakes few times, found them working fine and also felt ABS was working, hence decided to continue the trip.

The error lights -

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-img_20150905_060757264.jpg

Though I have never felt ESP switching ON in previous 22K KM's, it was bit unnerving to have this feature disabled now. Hence drove sedately and slowed down more than necessary at turns.

On reaching destination, decided to get the issue checked with service centre. However, the lights doesn't light up now. Keep checking the same for next two days and find the issue again. Also, I was bit busy with some other work. Then on my return journey, for the first 250KM's or so, everything works fine. However suddenly the lights comes up again and stays till the time I reach Bangalore.

On checking in XUV niggles thread (Link) Fusionbang and Fundagenie mentioned it can be due to either brake switch malfunction or steering allignment sensor issue.

I take the vehicle to Anant cars the next weekend, however they said they are having huge vehicle backlog and will not be able to accommodate on the same day. So decide to take the vehicle to another service centre near to home - Sireesh auto Marathahalli.

Planned to get the following things checked -
  1. ESP issue.
  2. Metallic sound from front right suspension / callipers.
  3. Free body wash - Monsoon wash offer.

After checking the vehicle, RM informs that they will check the brake switch. Regarding the suspension sound, I feel it was due to callipers since it doesn't come on bad uneven roads but only when the vehicles passes over any stones or those steep concrete speed humps.

However, strangely RM decides to replace the entire front suspension, no questions asked

After taking the vehicle back, I am yet to find the issue. However that can also be due to greasing during the suspension change. Anyways, will keep a note of the same.
Old 27th October 2015, 23:43   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Been thinking of mentioning the features of vehicle and how frequently those are used or not since a while.

Here it goes -

Lounge lightning - Never used, always OFF. Feel it is bit of a cheap trick.

Start Stop feature - Never used, my usual drive is on highways where stoppages are mostly at toll booths which may extend to few minutes. Was not comfortable with AC blower working on battery for that long. Service centre makes it a point to enable during each visit, I switch it off soon after.

Hill Descent control - Used it exactly thrice till date. It was more due to curiosity on checking the feature than for any use. It is a good feature, however not something which could be termed as must have.

Hill hold feature - It is an always ON feature, it is not possible to disable the same. A very useful feature, however since it holds the brake for a fraction of second after lifting your foot from pedal, it took few days to get used to the feature.

ABS - About two months back, after one year and some 21000 KM's felt the ABS kicking in rolling down a muddy incline. Thankfully, haven't come across a situation where ABS would have kicked in on highways yet.

ESP - Gives tremendous confidence while driving around twisty roads. However, I have not felt the ESP getting enabled or have not seen the ESP light turning ON yet. Not sure if it is due to me not noticing the same or since I haven't pushed the vehicle to its limit. Anyways, ESP along with ABS gives huge confidence. At the instance where ESP did not work due to error as mentioned in earlier post, I was very much careful while taking twisty roads.

CD drive - Not used till now. Even during PDI check I was not able to check the same since I was not carrying a CD. Songs in city limits is limited to FM and while on highway is via USB.

Voice command - Had tried it soon after purchase and felt it bit troublesome and irritating to use. Have not tried it afterwards, infact did not felt the need for the same yet.

In other updates. Saw this XUV with a new design rear guard. Felt this looks good for red. It has an inbuild step too.

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-img20151020wa0015.jpg
mpksuhas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 22:10   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

04 Dec 15

Even since I crossed one year of ownership M&M has been sending regular E-mails reminding me to avail 'Purple Club - Car Spa' offer. Since it was valid till Dec mid, I was thinking of availing it later. That was the reason I opted only for Monsoon wash offer during last visit to service centre.

Mahindra mailer regarding purple club offer

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-untitled.jpg

However, thanks to a weekend trip to rain drenched Chennai car was covered in mud. Also, I will be away for next two weekends in Dec, hence decided to visit service center and get the wash done along with getting the ESP error issue which has recurred checked.

Based on good reviews from other TBHPian XUV owners, thought of giving Sireesh auto Singasandra a try. I wanted to avoid visiting the place on a weekend due to rush and also had some work for this weekend. Hence decided to make a visit on a Friday.

Made an appointment the previous day and reached the service center around 09:00 AM. Unlike Anant cars, this place is not crowded. Infact, apart from myself there were no other customers at that time. Was quickly attended by service engineer Naveen R, explains him about the following issues -
  • ESP & Hill hold error light coming up
  • Rattling sound from front right brake callipers
  • Accelerator pedal has slightly more play sometimes (Not sure if its my imagination)
  • Purple club car spa offer

He notes down all this and while checking vehicle details in system informs there is a recall for my batch of battery.

I have not received any information regarding this from Mahindra yet, during previous recalls Mahindra had send message and post mentioning the recall details. Service engineer is also not sure about the details of the same anyways since mine battery is Amron brand manufactured in May 14, I guess the recall will be limited to that batch only.

In evening went to collect the vehicle and was updated the following -
  • ESP issue - Logs were not detailed, cleared logs did test drive not reproduced - I was bit sceptical regarding, since error is not always displayed I guess it may be just matter of time.
  • Rattling sound from brake callipers - Cleaned dirt and small stones, no sound - I did a test drive and sound was not reproduced.
  • Accelerator pedal issue - No issues, working fine.
  • Purple club spa - Washing and polishing done.
  • Battery recall - Replacement not done since no stock. Still no idea what the issue is which prompted recall.

It was around 07:00 PM by time I got out of service centre, though I wanted to get the ESP issue checked then itself by taking vehicle for a long drive, heavy city traffic prevented that.

Anyways, there was a plan for a ~100 KMs drive out of town next day morning so decided to wait.

05- December - 15

Went for the drive early in the morning and few KM's into the drive the error light comes up again. Put other weekend plans on hold and drove straight to service center, now the floor engineer also turns up and they connect the diagnostic tool to the vehicle.

They arrive at conclusion that the error is due to my floor mat getting stuck behind accelerator pedal, I contest this theory since the same mat was present in my car since it was purchased and the issue is coming up only since past couple of months. Also, how could sensor give wrong values if the pedals are not getting pressed due to mats?

Anyways, due to lack of any better ideas they clear the logs again and take the vehicle for a test drive. Since I have noticed the error lights coming up around 80 KMPH, we did few KM's of high speed driving and found the issue not recurring.

I have a ~600 KMs drive coming up this weekend, will check if the issue recurs again.

Optimus at Sireesh auto

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-pic.jpg

I am still getting mailers for monsoon wash, if time permits will get it done after the trip.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 9th December 2015 at 22:13.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 18:12   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Went for a weekend trip to Bhadra wildlife sanctuary (travelogue pending), two and fro it was around 630 KMs trip.

I have not checked the mileage of the vehicle till now after purchase, however based on the KMs between each bunk visit make a mental note of the same.

Based on that I guess this time I got a very good mileage, interestingly most of the roads were 2 lane ones. Compared to that my drives on 6 lane highways are lesser fuel efficient. I guess the reason for the same was me able to keep constant speed (equating to lesser gear changes) due to an early start and taking less crowded route this time. Also, since it was a two lane road I was keeping speeds to around 70 ~ 80 KMPH.

While, in 6 lane highways speeds tend to be around triple digits.

After a 620 KMs drive and about 630 KM's after a fuel stop fuel gauge still shows half tank.

However, ESP error lights have come up again. Need to visit service center again this weekend and get it sorted for good.

Fuel gauge and ESP error lights

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-img_20151213_171820513.jpg

Last edited by mpksuhas : 16th December 2015 at 18:19.
Old 24th March 2016, 11:13   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

28000 KM update

It's been a while since I updated the thread, was busy with other things and also running was low. Apart from the routine drive to Calicut and Chennai there were no 'trips' in past 3 months.

The ESP error finally got resolved:
After the error came as mentioned in my earlier post, visited M&M service center - Sireesh Singasandra.

The issue I been facing earlier was that the error notification is not displayed always, hence it was bit difficult to reproduce during test drive. Due to which during last visit I had kept the vehicle idling while I requested RM to connect diagnostic tools and get the logs. However, during last highway trip made out that the issue is cropping up after roughly 12 KMs of driving.

Informed the same to RM, along with the workshop in-charge, headed for a long test drive and was able to reproduce the issue. However, the logs were coming inconsistent in the diagnostic tool. Finally, they made out that the same is due to calibration issue in steering alignment sensor. They re-calibrated the same and it was fixed.

As per the workshop in-charge, the issue comes up if steering is adjusted above a certain limit during wheel alignment / balancing. It's been couple of months since that and issue has not come up.

That apart, no other issues or updates. I guess 30K service will come up only by April, thinking of visiting Sireesh Singasandra this time to get the same done.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 24th March 2016 at 11:14.
Old 31st May 2016, 12:03   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

30000 KM Update

30000 KM Update

19 - May

Completed 30K Kms enroute to Calicut.

This has been the slowest 10K Kms ever. Not just in XUV, but altogether. Anyways, this has been the most trouble free 10K too, apart from the ESP error due to steering alignment no other major issues were reported.

Couple of minor issues exist which I am planning of getting checked during 30 K service.
First, there is a rattling sound from second row. I guess it is coming from second row left side single tumble down seat. Also, there is a rattling sound from right wheel. I doubt it is due to a no greasing in caliper pin or loose caliper assembly. However, few months back Sireesh Marathahalli diaganoized it as due to damaged suspension and replaced the same. Though sound was not reproduced then I had my doubt on the same. Need to get the same checked again.

Had booked an appointment for service last week, however due to an urgent trip to Calicut was not able to get the same done. As of now ODO reading is around 30800. Hope to get the same done before it cross 31K Kms.
Old 28th July 2016, 23:59   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

30000 KM Service

30K KM Service. 11 June 2016

As mentioned earlier, 30K service was getting delayed due to time constraints. Finally on 11 June was able to take the vehicle for service to Sireesh Auto, Singasandra.

Apart from regular service had couple of issues to be taken care -
  • Rattling sound from collapsable second row seat.
  • Screeching sound from right wheel when braking.
  • Speedometer cowl rattling sound.

Listed out all issues and handed over vehicle and came. Mentioned specifically to avoid any engine dressing or wheel alignment to be done.

Some one hour later service advisor calls up and informs that brake pads has to be changed since its worn. I was not convinced by the same, since there was no change in brake feel and also infotainment notification for the same has not come up. However, since there was sound coming from wheel thought will go ahead with the same.

Got call around 5 in evening saying vehicle is ready. Total bill came to around 10K.

Apart from pads, stabilizer bushes were also replaced. There was report earlier that post 2013 re-fresh stabilizer bushes would last for more than 40K Kms. Anyways, as per service advisor it won't last that long. Vehicle feels much smoother since there are no suspension sounds past this change.

As such, happy with the service done. Out of the issues listed all looks fixed as of now, though I doubt randomly the foldable seat sounds is reproduced randomly. Will have to check the same again later.

Was busy due to some personal commitments since past two months. Hence is not able to take vehicle for alignment yet.

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-img_20160728_234430.jpg

Last edited by mpksuhas : 29th July 2016 at 00:01.
Old 3rd August 2016, 23:59   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Went for a one day trip around Hassan conducted by HVK forum. Round trip was for about 650 KMs which consisted of mainly village and estate roads.

For the first time in two years, got chance to check mileage of vehicle. I had filled diesel before start of the trip, since I am out of town for this weekend and would require to take car on a weekend drive after that decided to fill diesel again.

Hence as per tankful to tankful method, I was getting 13.7 KMPL after driving on twisty roads. Hence I guess, the rough estimate I had made of ~16KMPL for highway driving is correct.

Pic of the drive -

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-suh_7048.jpg

Video from my dash cam of the drive

The red TUV in video if of TBHPian procrj

Old 13th August 2016, 11:59   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Fastag!

Fastaged

After deliberation for few months decided to opt for Fastag.
Though there is a 'fast' in the name, I don't expect trips to become faster with this since dedicated lanes for Fastag is not available at most of the places.

However, decided to go for this since most of toll boots around Bangalore has Fastag enabled. Also, I drive down to Chennai regularly and this will avoid issues with carrying change for toll booth.

Procedure for purchasing Fastag:
  • Download PDF application form Fastag ICICI site and update the details
  • One passport size photo, RC book copy and driving license copy to be attached.
  • Address proof copy to be attached (not required if form has same address as in driving license)
  • Hand over the documents along with a cheque of Rs 510 payable to ICICI ETC pool account
  • Documents can be submitted at ICICI branch (Bomanahalli branch for Bangalore) or accepted at certain toll booths
  • For Bangalore, bank representatives will come over to collection of documents

After filling the documents, ICICI representative came over for collection of documents to my office address. Tag was delivered to my office by the same representative one week after collection of documents.

Back side of sticker

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-unnamed.jpg

The tag comes with a one side sticker, I didn't want the entire surface of the tag to be glued on the surface. So covered part of the tag with paper.

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-fasttag_back.jpg

Also, TBHPian Bejoy who has purchased Fastag had complained about his Fastag reading getting interrupted due to interference with company fitted RFID fixed on windshield. Hence thought it would be easier to move the location of Fastag by not sticking it completely in case any issue arises.

Was able to try Fastag on trip to Chennai yesterday, worked fine in all toll booths apart from Krishnagiri where reader is not working. No complaints since we got a free pass there

Odo reading

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-odo.jpg

While driving down to Chennai yesterday crossed this odo reading.

Driving has picked up again now, hope to reach 35K mark by mid Sept.

Thanks to rains and road work near apartment parking, vehicle is covered in dust. Planning of getting vehicle given for wash by availing monsoon wash offer sometime this month.

Also, noticed that Mahindra with you Hamesha weblink has a new UI. It displays the total service costs also now apart from a pleasing interface.

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-withyou.jpg

Last edited by mpksuhas : 13th August 2016 at 12:10.
Old 15th August 2016, 21:24   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Completed Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore with all toll payments done by Fastag.

I am yet to be charged for Krishnagiri toll booth for both ways. During onward journey, they didn't even do a manual scan. They have done a manual scan for my return journey, however the same is not debited from account still.

Based on the experience in getting and using Fastag, decided put across a FAQ on the same here.

A late update. Purchased Mahindra anti skid pad for placing mobile along with an emergency hammer.

Both items were purchased from Mahindra Merchandise store online.
  • Anti Skid pad Link
  • Emergency hammer Link

Pad quality is good and it holds the phone quiet well even on bad roads.

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-suh_5913.jpg

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-unnamed.jpg
Old 23rd August 2016, 23:48   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Took vehicle for tyre rotation and alignment last weekend at Madhus. Work was done in about one hour, will be taking out vehicle on highway only after couple of weeks. Hence not sure if the alignment issue was fixed or not.

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-img_20160820_143219.jpg

However, when wheels were removed for alignment noticed that there was mark on brake line. It looked like something was rubbing against the line, checked all other components and was unable to make out the reason.

Will keep an eye over the same this week and check with service center over the weekend .

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-img_20160820_1509002.jpg
Old 27th August 2016, 16:34   #75
BHPian

any update regarding the brake line?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks