Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 14th November 2020, 23:43   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report

Happy Diwali

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-dscn160501.jpg

I been thinking of changing headlight bulbs since a while. Though it's a known fact that XUV has weak low beams, I been happy with its high beams and wasn't planning on any light upgrades since the high beams was more than sufficient for the highway drives which I do.

However, off late I been finding it difficult in night drives and I was of the impression that it may be due to the fact that my headlight alignment was not proper. That along with the fact that I may be needing to get my bulbs replaced soon since its been a while, made me decide to get new bulbs.

Options considered

For High beam / low beam - H7 bulbs

The top options were mostly in LED.
  • Option1: Philips Xtreme Ultinon Gen2- 5800K. Link
  • Option 2: Philips Xtreme Ultinon Link
  • Option 3:Philips Ultinon Essential X2. Link

Of the options above, I was more keen on the first one since it was the warmest one. I was not keen on having a white light for high beam since most of my drives are in areas which see rains for multiple months each year. The worry of light scattering more if opting for a white LED was a worry.

However, option 1 is not available in India, so I was trying to source it through my relatives who were traveling from abroad. On checking the price, it was found that the cost was above INR 9K for the bulbs there too. That made me drop that plan. For option 2, again white light and also expensive. Hence it was dropped too.

Option 3 was considered for a while, since it was within the budget I was looking in to. However, I felt there will not be any substantial light output difference thanks to the projector setup for lowbeams on XUV since the opinion was mixed in online reviews.

Hence decided to try tried and tested halogen bulbs.
  • Option1: Osram night breakers. Link
  • Option 2: Philips Xtreme Vision. Link
  • Option 3: Philips Racing Vision. Link

In this, decided to go for Xtreme vision for low beams and Racing vision for high beams. The decision was since Racing vision has more output, but lesser life (~ 200 hours). Hence didn't want that to be put for low beam for which usage will be more.

There was no specific reason for dropping Osram Night breakers, was considering both Xtreme vision and Nigh breakers equally. However, I got some offer for Xtreme vision online and hence decided to opt for the same.

Fog lamp - H8 bulbs
  • Option 1: Ultinon Essential X2 LED - With brainded heat sink. Link
  • Option 2:Ultinon X2 LED - With metal heat sink. Link

Now, both these were bit confusing since the product name was similar. However, design wise both has two major changes. With the way heatsink is designed and also with the light output.

Since the difference between both was around Rs 500 only, I was inclined to opt for option 2. However, I was worried if the heat sink was active (as with fan) since that may fail since XUV fog lamp lights does not have a housing behind and its prone to be covered in dust.

Confirmed with those who purchased that both these bulbs have passive heat sinks too. Hence went with option 2.

Opening in wheel bay to access fog lamp.

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-img_20201113_111806.jpg

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-img_20201113_105904.jpg

After installation, notice the heat sink of LED light visible.

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-img_20201113_111759.jpg

Once all bulb installations are done, got the alignment done too. Charges for the same in earlier post along with 80K service.

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-img_20201113_122325.jpg

I have couple of night drives coming up in next month. Will update on the difference after bulb change post that.
mpksuhas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 21:15   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
80000 KMs service. 13-Nov-2020

I had informed RM that I will be getting engine oil from outside, I wanted to try out Liqui Moly TopTech 4100 based on positive feedback from fellow XUV owners who been using the same.

However, on contacting the local dealer for Liqui Molly, it was informed that the oil is not in stock due to disruption in supply related to Covid. He then suggested oil of same grade from Meguin.

Since both are under same company, decided to go for that since I had made up my mind that I wanted to try synthetic oil this time.

The supplier got the oil to service center and Chrome motors accommodated the request for change.

The oil that you have purchased is of CF grade. Mahindra recommends minimum of CH4 grade. Are you sure this is recommeded for XUV 500 ? . Very less options are available for CH4 and above grade oil , Shell Rimula R4 which is CI4 is considered a better option as it is easily available. Castrol GTX Diesel is CH4 too.
undead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 14:17   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
The oil that you have purchased is of CF grade. Mahindra recommends minimum of CH4 grade.
I missed replying to your post earlier.

To be frank, till you mentioned, I had not gone through the grade of this oil. Had gone with this based on feedback from fellow XUV owners, few of them who have used this oil for above 1 Lakh KMs. Hence I hope it should be fine.

Yes, Shell Rimula was also something I considered based on the lack of availability of Liqui Molly oil due to post Covid supply issues. However, since Meguin was available, didn't go for Shell.

Most Viewed