Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2015, 20:55   #121

Re: My 2014 Toyota Corolla Altis VL S-CVTi: A Detailed Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severus View Post
sunsand2000, I keep a tyre pressure of 32 psi in my car. That's what is recommended anyway, on the chart near the front door. But I haven't used Nitrogen. Does it significantly improve the quality of ride?
Well I always had nitrogen in my car tires. Yes it did improve ride quality its less bumpy compared to air and also I just have to take it once to recheck it and its hardly 2 psi down. I pay like 100 bucks for 3 months and unlimited refills.
sunsand2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 23:52   #122
BHPian

Had gone to Grace toyota today and the top end Automatic version of the Altis is quoting at 20.05L OTR price. I asked for discounts and what if I have to take a 2015 model to which the dealer said that best he can manage is accessories of 35K. I am quite surprised that these days manufacturers do not want to clear of stocks in the year end or maybe the gold rush would come after the festive season is over. I am in no hurry and would wait. I didn't like the Creta at all and feel it is overly hyped at this price point.
gmalik30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 14:21   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmalik30 View Post
Had gone to Grace toyota today and the top end Automatic version of the Altis is quoting at 20.05L OTR price. I asked for discounts and what if I have to take a 2015 model to which the dealer said that best he can manage is accessories of 35K. I am quite surprised that these days manufacturers do not want to clear of stocks in the year end or maybe the gold rush would come after the festive season is over. I am in no hurry and would wait. I didn't like the Creta at all and feel it is overly hyped at this price point.
Companies and dealers give discounts only when they need to. Look at the sales figures - Altis is already the segment leader, even without discounts. Whatever little offers they're giving are only to make the proposition a bit more attractive for the customer.

In any case, right now is hardly the end of the year. December is the best time to negotiate for discounts. Or, go to your dealer in Jan-Feb 2016 and ask about a 2015 manufactured model. I'm sure you'll get good discounts.

Severus
Old 26th October 2015, 09:01   #124
BHPian

I am torn between booking the 1.8 G AT or the 1.8 VL AT (price difference is approx. Rs 2 lakhs). The only feature I care for in the higher trim is the bigger alloys / tyres - 205/55 R16 vs 195/65 R15. Also the R16 alloys are very attractive 15-spoke ones as compared to the 7-spokes in the lower trim.

I am trying to see whether the dealer can sell me the lower trim with an upgrade to the bigger wheels but meanwhile I have a question : which configuration will provide better ride quality and driveability?
Old 26th October 2015, 10:04   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunp View Post

I am trying to see whether the dealer can sell me the lower trim with an upgrade to the bigger wheels but meanwhile I have a question : which configuration will provide better ride quality and driveability?
The 15 will provide better ride quality but it will not really be major as the Corolla is not exactly a stiff setup.

The VL-AT gets LED headlights, leather electric seats and some other goodies. If you are ok losing those then get the G-AT.

You can add leather later on of much better quality.

Regarding the alloys, they look good on the VL but you can put way better ones aftermarket like MOMO without losing your warranty. Rather than go for the expensive OEM alloys look at aftermarket ones which will work out much better.
Old 26th October 2015, 11:34   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The 15 will provide better ride quality but it will not really be major as the Corolla is not exactly a stiff setup.

The VL-AT gets LED headlights, leather electric seats and some other goodies. If you are ok losing those then get the G-AT.

You can add leather later on of much better quality.

Regarding the alloys, they look good on the VL but you can put way better ones aftermarket like MOMO without losing your warranty. Rather than go for the expensive OEM alloys look at aftermarket ones which will work out much better.
Thanks for your inputs. I will probably go with the stock R15s if the upgrade cost is too high. Also I have done a rough calculation of the 2 configurations and actually the overall diameter of the alloys+tyres is 2.6 mm more on the R15s (probably because of the low side profile of the 205/55s)!! So the wheels are likely to look very similar in height (although of course there will be a noticeable difference in the width).
Old 26th October 2015, 11:56   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for your inputs. I will probably go with the stock R15s if the upgrade cost is too high. Also I have done a rough calculation of the 2 configurations and actually the overall diameter of the alloys+tyres is 2.6 mm more on the R15s (probably because of the low side profile of the 205/55s)!! So the wheels are likely to look very similar in height (although of course there will be a noticeable difference in the width).
Yes but what do you mean by width? The difference is that the 15" are smaller rims in diameter so you will see more rubber and lesser alloys.

With 16" the rubber sidewall is lesser with the rim being a bigger diameter.

The 15" will improve ride quality but will take a very small edge out of steering sharpness as the taller rubber flexes more. Only really noticeable on enthusiastic driving.
Old 26th October 2015, 12:11   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yes but what do you mean by width? The difference is that the 15" are smaller rims in diameter so you will see more rubber and lesser alloys.
By "width" I meant the 10 mm difference between 205 mm and 195 mm. Apologies if that's not the right description.
Old 26th October 2015, 13:23   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
By "width" I meant the 10 mm difference between 205 mm and 195 mm. Apologies if that's not the right description.
Yup. Always remember that overall diameter of rim + tyre will be same across all variants. And when you upgrade tyres or alloys your goal should be to match the overall diameter of stock. The reason is speedo error as well as suspension/wheel clearances in the wheel well. Speedo error also messes up you fuel efficiency calculations.
Old 6th November 2015, 07:46   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakeshG View Post
Hi TB16,

I have booked the new Altis GL in pearl white mica metallic colour and hope to get delivery on the 3rd October, Ram Navmi, fingers crossed. What colours and variants do you spot in South Delhi (just curious )?.
I am struggling between ordering the Altis in Pearl White or Summit White. One of the issues is the difficulty of touching up minor scratches in the Pearl White which is a tricoat treatment and difficult to match. I would be very keen to hear from you and others if you have faced this issue and advice on which white to go for.
Old 6th November 2015, 15:58   #131

Quote:
I am struggling between ordering the Altis in Pearl White or Summit White. One of the issues is the difficulty of touching up minor scratches in the Pearl White which is a tricoat treatment and difficult to match. I would be very keen to hear from you and others if you have faced this issue and advice on which white to go for.
I have had a few minor scratches here and there in my 13 months of ownership and have not done any touch ups owing to the special paint shade. However, still I would highly recommend going with the Pearl White as it looks way more premium than the other white. I would also recommend to go with the GL or VL variant as they offer some premium features which cannot be fitted later with aftermarket substitutes, like automatic LED headlamps, rain sensors, 8 way power seats. to name a few.
Old 6th November 2015, 16:32   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakeshG View Post
I have had a few minor scratches here and there in my 13 months of ownership and have not done any touch ups owing to the special paint shade. However, still I would highly recommend going with the Pearl White as it looks way more premium than the other white.
Thanks for your inputs. Some local garages are also expressing confidence in touching up the Pearl White colour because many car models are now in that shade. By the way, great pic of the Altis in your garage!
Old 6th November 2015, 19:44   #133
BHPian

Tarun I have a pearl white as well. My driver knocked the back of the bumper while reversing and I can tell you it looks nasty. Would recommend you look for a better color like grey or silver than pearl white because of the head associated with maintaining it.
duke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 11:39   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Introduces Corolla Altis-Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
well to me , this looks to be a competitive prices by Toyota standards I am equally surprised how Toyota has been able to keep prices within 30 % of what these were a decade back , I remember having paid something around 11 Lac in 2004 for a higher variant without powered seats & ABS

Don't worry on the built , I can personally vouch for this . Was in a big crash - heads on with a Tractor trolley on NH1 at high 3 digit speeds in Year 2006 , almost complete front had to be rebuilt & I walked out without a scratch , paid over Rs 5 Lac for repairs at that time and the car has done over 2,5 Lac Km since then , my mother still prefers to use it for rear seat comfort . you just can't go wrong with these ones .
I bought my Altis VL A/T version in 2009 for 13.5 OTR after some discounts(was less than a lakh of discounts) after this new Altis came out at nearly 20 lakhs OTR for the VL A/T I thought Toyota has lost the plot. However, this pricing looks promising as it's close to what it used to be 6 years ago with similar features minus the A/T.
However, I plan to retain my Altis as it has barely done 40k kms and has barely aged. Looks like I will keep it for atleast 2-3 years more without the engine even breaking a sweat. It's a great sized car to wiggle around traffic in.

My only problem with Toyota's build is their bumper hinges/clips quality. Both my Altis and Fortuner bumper clips on certain edges have broken over minor dings. I might have to replace the entire bumper just coz a few some plastic hooks that have broken.

Last edited by Sahil : 17th November 2015 at 11:44.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 11:54   #135
BHPian

Re: Toyota Introduces Corolla Altis-Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_cr View Post
the only qualm with Altis is that it doesn't have ESP and more than 2 airbags for a D SEGMENT CAR!! Why are they doing such cheap savings in this segment? Now I am confused - with Octi's service scaring me and Toyota's safety and tinny build...
I drive 2014 Altis G-CVT. Do you really think Altis has tinny build? I have driven other cars in D segment and I felt Altis is equally well built. Is my assessment incorrect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
well to me , this looks to be a competitive prices by Toyota standards I am equally surprised how Toyota has been able to keep prices within 30 % of what these were a decade back , I remember having paid something around 11 Lac in 2004 for a higher variant without powered seats & ABS
I believe 11 Lacs you paid is OTR. The current OTR price will be around 16 Lacs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks