Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2014, 08:35   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India | EDIT: Sold at 182,500Km & 7 Yrs

A shift from Beat to Sail. Nice start to the thread. Question about the title popped up immediately after the 1st post, but patience is a virtue! Reading the second post paid off. Congrats on the new buy and wishing you many happy miles with it.

Does the Sail also have a service holiday for 3 years which covers the labor and consumables like the Spark has? Or do you have to pay extra for this?
Old 11th July 2014, 15:19   #32
BHPian

re: Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India | EDIT: Sold at 182,500Km & 7 Yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
PS- Do you drive inside electronic city, I saw a similar Grey SailUVA today with fog lamps on at 1PM near wipro area.
Yes I do drive inside Electronics City. Coming to switching on the Fog lamps and driving I cannot say no as today my friend was driving my car and I was driving his car.
Old 11th July 2014, 15:35   #33
BANNED

Congrats on the drive svsanthosh.

A very thoughtful and practical choice in choosing the car. Did you opt for the Maintenance package that Chevrolet is offering for its models?

Amarkarthi
Old 11th July 2014, 16:32   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Does the Sail also have a service holiday for 3 years which covers the labor and consumables like the Spark has? Or do you have to pay extra for this?
I guess (after reading others write about it), it is a paid package. I never enquired about it to the dealer, dont intend to opt for it too. But will surely enquire and update here what they have to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnidumolu View Post
Yes I do drive inside Electronics City. Coming to switching on the Fog lamps and driving I cannot say no as today my friend was driving my car and I was driving his car.
Hey no issues about driving with fogs on... but next time i will flash you down and may be can catch up. It must be pretty rare to see 2 Sail UVAs on the road (other being a dealer yard I guess)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarkarthi View Post
Did you opt for the Maintenance package that Chevrolet is offering for its model
Sadly I didnt! Wonder whats good about it, but anyways I am broke, if its 30-40K cant pay so much now!
svsantosh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 17:39   #35
BHPian

Hey Svsantosh

Congratulations for your new ride. Even I own a Chevy Sail LS ABS, my car has till date done 24K in about an year. The performance of the car is fantastic. My cars economy figures have been 22.5 KMPL ( Best) 17KMPL ( Worst) and about 18-19 KMPL ( Average). Initially I was worried that my car is not giving good economy, hence I challenged Chevrolet ASS, but to my surprise when tested with separate fuel pump, it gave a whopping average of 23.15 KMPL, in this test we rode on the mix of city road and expressway.
The Car's Stereo I think it is really good and with bluetooth connectivity , is what gives it an edge.
Total expense on my car ( for repair / maintenance) has been only 7000 INR. This doesnt include wheel balancing and alignment as i get it done at every 5000 KM or earlier depending upon the tyre tread. This is our first car out of Maruti Brand and I was bit worried about ASS rapport, but i must say that people in Chevrolet ASS ( Atleast here in Shimla) are way better than Maruti ( except Motoworld).

Best of luck for happy miles ahead...
pg83 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2014, 18:48   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Wonder whats good about it,
Well, if you are getting it free, only then does it make sense. It covers all consumables and labor costs for 3 years. If they are charging for it, then it would be at par or slightly lower than what you would incur for the 3 year duration. During the 3 year ownership of the Spark, I did not shell out any money for labor/consumables during any of the services which included wiper blades, oil filter, throttle body cleaning etc.

Going by your bargaining skills, you can maybe squeeze it out of the dealership for a nominal cost maybe!
Old 12th July 2014, 21:14   #37
Senior - BHPian

Finally decided to risk/spend 250rs for pro version of Torque(pro) and Voila - it works. Am still to play with it fully but its a few days worth of toy, i am happy time being with actual FE figures, thats all i needed.

(Pic was after i killed the engine, so says connecting to obd...)

980kms on odo and 1st service booked for monday 9am. Lets see what the service package turns out to be.

E&OE, from droid app~
Attached Thumbnails
Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India | EDIT: Sold at 182,500 km & 7 years-1405179561077.jpg  

Old 17th July 2014, 15:10   #38
Senior - BHPian

1st service @ 1000Kms

Service was free, 40Rs for windscreen washer.

But, a day after - the air flow knob got stuck at windscreen-defrost (monsoon day), and I slightly pressured it out and SNAP..!! The steel wire that drives the blower up to the windscreen jumped the slot and the knob, though rotating, the blow was only directed to windscreen.

A 10 minute stop at the C.A.S.S fixed it thankfully without the necessity of a job card!

I also complained the gear shifter (mechanism below the gear knob) was sticky at times and a 2 minute grease job freed it up a little.

Enjoying the OBD2 data, currently using a spare andriod backup phone from home - setup on dashboard for live data.
Old 22nd July 2014, 14:55   #39
Senior - BHPian

Couple of points

1) May be the 1st service or me getting to open up the engine nicely and slowly, but I see a noted increase in F.E figures. 17ish is the minimum now, 19 showed up once on OBD2 app. Even the fuel gauge/tripmeter combo is consistent by 150kms for 500rs/8ltrs for than last 3-4 times. So - YAY!

2) Whoever designed the integrated-headrest on rear bench ought to be shot! period! 2 days ago I had to move some bulk stuff and fold down both rear 60:40 seats and if you know the Sail UVA, the front 2 seats has to be moved a bit ahead for the rear headrest to clear the rear of front seats. In that rear-seat fully down position - the driver who can best fit is a 5'5" only !!!! And NOW the real pain of (already) closer gearshift has come a good 3-4" more closer! Your elbow will be behind your torso (chest) for 2nd and 4th gear shifts. This was a mojo problem if you are on a 90 minute drive on rural roads!!

God! This was one really painful overlooked point by the moron who designed the whole rear-seat fold down ergonomics!
Old 25th July 2014, 22:53   #40
BHPian

Congrats on your new car! The color looks absolutely good for a car of this size. The upgrade from Beat is definitely a positive decision that you have taken. Although the 1 Litre Diesel in the Beat would have pumped in more FE, but still the car feels claustrophobic from inside. The interiors and dash in the Beat may be in tune with the gen-x aura and look stunning but the funky exteriors is somehow overly done - completely my take. The Sail UVA may not turn many heads but looks more matured (although the design looks somewhat dated). The HU which you have sourced from the dealer integrates into the dash very well. And kudos to your bargaining ability.

Wish you many happy miles with your diesel horse!
CountMe91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 15:58   #41
Senior - BHPian

Made a fast dash to Chennai and back from hosur home (around 600Kms to & Fro). Got top FE of 24Kmpl on way to chennai, no-AC, max 90Kmph (sleepy at 4am).

Return saw 150Kmph on ODO for a short dash on a warm afternoon and very empty road, rest was 100-110 average, AC - gave about 21approx.

Car definetly feels lackluster Viz-a-Viz Swift DDIS, no arguments there. Even the sligthly higher torque of 20.5 Vs 19.0 (KGM?) is lost in translation...

Got a call from Sales rep (yes!) that "Sir, your car is due for its 1st oil change, its nearly 6 months" - he is my star of the day.
Old 14th January 2015, 18:03   #42
Senior - BHPian

Changed the oil within 6 months of delivery time (around 23-dec-2015), that service costed me 1400 somechange. Only oil, nothing else.

Interesting point is my car was part of a recall (hush) campaign to replace the tie-rod ends for free (or tie rods themselves, not sure), but since the part was not available readily its on order.

Next update is a sad one but a Deja-Vu

Like the 1st day demon of power window winder failure, 2 days ago the driver side powerwindow winder failed. The motor works superb, but the plastics and metal base plate buckled under torque and gives a KATAK sound everytime - again a warranty order awaiting shipment. May arrive next week!

This is the price of saving 1,50,000INR over a Swift Ldi

Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India | EDIT: Sold at 182,500 km & 7 years-img_20150113_103451.jpg

EDIT - If anyone read this thread from beginning and noticed a swanky building compared to a bhooth bungalow in 1st page is because the Chevy showroom/Service center in Hosur moved to their Own facilty. Its bang on NH7, 3.5 Kms (AFTER) Hosur Town (FROM) bangalore (Or 3Kms before from Chennai Side) FYI - Chevy Guys who need to use this facility if need be.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=GM+Th...India&t=m&z=16

Last edited by svsantosh : 14th January 2015 at 18:26.
svsantosh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 17:19   #43
Senior - BHPian

Couple of updates

1) With the ^ half-working driver side window, did a 1200kms round trip, and BEAUTIFUL road trip to Rameshwaram-Dhanushkodi for the 26-jan-2015 weekend. Intent was to join a bunch of 4*4 owners and drive their jeeps right upto Ram-Sethu point in the middle of nowhere. Highlight was when we went there we got a message from Airtel - "Welcome to Srilanka"

note - low tide was so low that we could explore sand dunes that are usually under water.Thats why the GPS shows us in middle of no where

Name:  gps.png
Views: 1930
Size:  23.4 KB

Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India | EDIT: Sold at 182,500 km & 7 years-ram-sethu.jpg

Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India | EDIT: Sold at 182,500 km & 7 years-sri.jpg

Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India | EDIT: Sold at 182,500 km & 7 years-jeep.jpg

2) Car is no slouch on highways. Returned a FE of 19Kmpl with 2 adults and 1 kid and lots of luggage for a 3 day trip. Very spirited driving, 100+ throughout and AC.

3) Upon return had completed 6000Km on ODO, got all 5 wheels balanced, rotated and nitrogen filled. Very noticeable soft ride now. Alignment also done.

4) Finally the half working winder gave up and after a reminder call to C.A.S.S got it replaced along with the front suspension link rod (pending from 1st service)

PS - Beige interiors already becoming a pain in the butt to maintain.

Last edited by svsantosh : 10th February 2015 at 17:21.
Old 12th February 2015, 15:44   #44
Senior - BHPian

Iphone/Micromax or any china phone users can relate to this possible meme attemtps

1) What can replace a Made in China part - Another Made in China part

2) Whats the best way to own and maintain a Chevy In India - simple - keep a Alibaba account handy (DX DHGate also prefered)

3) Why is a Leh Ladhak Arunachal roadtrip easy for a Chevy in India - again simple - you are only a few kms away from spares support

4) Guess who turns up outside Chevy A.S.S doorsteps daily after lunch - you should be guessing now - Yes, Friendly Postman with a Alibaba package

5) Guess who turns up at early morning and late nights - try to innovate here - DHL/FEDEX guys for escalation orders

So, it turns out the smart A.S.S mechanic forgot to "take" back the replacement parts out of my car boot and I had to make a trip again to return them, Decided to take a pics for all here to see why the Made In China Chevy India cars just cant hold a match stick to Japs and Koreans...

Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India | EDIT: Sold at 182,500 km & 7 years-img_20150211_094616.jpg

Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India | EDIT: Sold at 182,500 km & 7 years-img_20150211_094621.jpg

Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India | EDIT: Sold at 182,500 km & 7 years-img_20150211_094629.jpg
svsantosh is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 10:24   #45
BHPian

The Oil change cycle of 15000KM has been reduced to 7500KM. This is not good thing from financial point of view. What everybody else thinks about it?

Most Viewed